Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    edited January 2020
    The RS IIb manual wasn't much help:

6thhue4rdraq.png

Anybody who can read these fuse values here is a better man than I:

ykkj08j66wqe.png

I think I'd go with 7amp fuses next. Discretion is the better part of valor lol. If you run a dB app on your phone for the next *speaker/amp torture session* and it blows again, at least you'll know the peak dB during that session.

George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    As @nooshinjohn said, I wont be challenging them anymore like I did until I have them recapped and sorted out. I was really wanting to push the Hafler to make sure there are no problems before I decide if I'm going to sell the Carver. If indonthat will fund my recap for the RS. I'm really trying to keep my gear to a minimum. I just unloaded a lit of gear in trade for the RSIIs.

Still not sure if I'll offer the Carver and my beloved RTA12B for sale.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I was told that the Hafler XL600 should run those speakers fine at 10 amp but again they are in there to warn you of possible speaker overload. Since those speakers run down to 2 ohms you are demanding a lot of power (which it has that capability) You could put 6 or 7 amp fuses in there if you can find them or if not just run 10's and keep your foot off the pedal some.

Can't say I didn't warn you about the clarity of the upper registers with the Hafler. LOL. If you like their sound you can always find another one and use them as mono's That should double your reserve capacity and dampening factor for even better bass management.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2020
    That's making that $210 XL600 seem like a tremendous bargain at 3x the price.

I don't doubt there's amplifiers that can do better than the '600--but they won't be cheap; and the 600 was local, so it didn't require shipping costs.
  • CH46E
    @nooshinjohn if you find me a pair of Krell or Mark Levenson monos, I'll give you my RTA12B (recapped) the Carver TFM-45, 40 oz of Silver and one of my kidneys on reserve should you ever need it. :D I'm O Negative blood type in case you needed to know for the kidney.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    I took the fuses out of the speakers and one is a brand new looking 4 amp and the other is old as **** but looks like it says AGC5 32v. So I'm guessing it's a 5 amp fuse. The element looks to be the same size as the element in the blown 5 amp fuses from the amp.

I think i will try to find out what is supposed to be in the infinity speakers and I'll go with 7 to 8 amp fuses in the amplifier.
    Post edited by CH46E on
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    CH46E wrote: »
    @nooshinjohn if you find me a pair of Krell or Mark Levenson monos, I'll give you my RTA12B (recapped) the Carver TFM-45, 40 oz of Silver and one of my kidneys on reserve should you ever need it. :D I'm O Negative blood type in case you needed to know for the kidney.

Shoot me a PM...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020

Shoot me a PM...

Oh ****..... i have a bad feeling about this! 🤔🤔
  • Gardenstater
    You can get these fuses in 8A for a mere $159.95 each, with a 30 day risk free trial lol:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/orange-fuse/
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    Yes I saw them. I googled Audiophile Fuses. Pretty damn pricey for something that is designed to self destruct. 30 day risk free? What if you blow them? Lol
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    I found this guy here who says he has the parts list, but not the manual, for the *RS 2*. If it's legit, it should have the fuses required.

https://www.analogalley.com/m_infini.htm

Also, FYI this appears to be a re-foaming (woofer surrounds) kit for the RS II:

https://www.simplyspeakers.com/infinity-speaker-foam-edge-repair-kit-fsk-10i.html
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    It appears that the fuse on the Infinity is there to protect the EMIT tweeters and should be 2.5 amp fast blow.

I will try to confirm this with more research. If this is the case, I will go that route for the tweeter protection.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    Also found this technical manual page:

u5tfi3974qgq.png

Actually @Gardenstater you already answered the question. It's right there on the schematic. Tweeter has a 2.5 amp fast blow fuse. Thanks again brother!

Someone sure put the wrong darn fuses in these. 4 amp and a 5 amp. Good lord!
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Ha! Believe it or not I just remembered that and was just about to check it. Glad to help and it's a good thing your EMITs weren't damaged! Probably lots less current through them though.
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    FYI Chris I was reading this thread and mention of Bill LeGall being an expert in repairing and modding these old vintage Infinity speakers was made. He could be a wealth of information at the very least:

https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/just-purchased-infinity-rs2b-rsiib-owned-rs-2-5

Bill LeGall @ www.millersound.net

http://www.millersound.net/
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Welcome to the

xmpndzhcdfw9.png

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    edited January 2020
    You can get these fuses in 8A for a mere $159.95 each, with a 30 day risk free trial lol:

https://www.synergisticresearch.com/fuses/orange-fuse/
    $159.95 for fuse?!! I’m one step closer being confident “I’ve seen it all.”

Bass-heavy tracks more apt to blow an amp fuse. At the other frequency extreme, a tweeter fuse.

Chris - 1st I’m sorry: you’ve been inundated w/(a lot of) good advice in a short amount of time. I don’t know if you saw my URGENT side note to check DC offset. Also, I can’t get over the generated interest of a pair of Infinity speakers on a Polk Audio forum.

2nd I’m sorry: I know right now you have MUCH bigger fish to think about. If you’re ever blessed w/another 600, in addition to enjoying** the perks of dedicated left* & right* channel amps, consider “bi-amping” each speaker**, instead of driving each* in mono.
    **my LR powered in a similar fashion, though EXO’d

A mono’d* amp essentially outputs like two batteries in series: twice the voltage, same available current. Versus w/the XL series (and similar amps), two batteries in parallel: twice the current, same available voltage. Unfortunately*, higher distortion at the same power levels and damping factor halved or worse. Possibly less, maybe more (chuckle!) $pent on fuses**. Finally, if you think about it though nothing else, should help to isolate problems** at higher volume levels.

Yes I realize you’ll hafta run more wire. And one or both of us may take a tomato or two because of how some members feel about that w/regards to the (truthfully*) worthless* AVR marketing feature. Unlike those AVRs, both XL series amps have **near-separate L&R in-chassis power supplies. So give it try.
    ** share a common transformer, but separate secondaries and everything else

3rd I’m sorry for getting so long winded. Try to have fun during this chapter in your journey! Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • CH46E
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Welcome to the

xmpndzhcdfw9.png

Tom

As soon as I was starting feel like this guy, I get sucked right back in.

l7sux7ue7ohh.gif

lokl0kp07ix1.gif
  • CH46E
    I want to thank everyone for all the great info and advice. It is suprising at how much help I'm getting here on some Vintage Infinity speakers. As @gp4jesus said, It speaks volumes for the Polk Forum as a whole.
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    As far as bi amping these I'm not sure what that would involve. These speakers only have one set of terminals. I guess it would require some more wire re configuration. If I ever come across another XL600 I might look into it.

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Not sure I'm going to get this right, but hopefully this is a photo of a crossover for the RSII that is on Ebay right now

javascript:;
  • CH46E
    edited January 2020
    dromunds wrote: »
    Not sure I'm going to get this right, but hopefully this is a photo of a crossover for the RSII that is on Ebay right now

Here is the link you were trying for I think. Just looking at it makes me not want to touch it. I will have to take it slow and just R&R one cap at a time.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123943679824
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    As far as bi amping these I'm not sure what that would involve. These speakers only have one set of terminals. I guess it would require some more wire re configuration. If I ever come across another XL600 I might look into it.
    No need to rewire. That's horizontal bi-amping. One amp per speaker, each amp used in mono.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    Oh ok, I see what ya mean.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    Oops! I got confused. Sorry to bury you deeper w/another post.

Yours doesn’t have separate connections - a woofer pair & a mid/tweet pair.

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    I want to thank everyone for all the great info and advice. It is surprising at how much help I'm getting here on some Vintage Infinity speakers. As @gp4jesus said, It speaks volumes for the Polk Forum as a whole.

I recently in the past 2 years acquired about 6 sets of Infinity's. Some I learned how to re-foam surrounds on, some I just hooked up and enjoyed. None were bigger than big bookies w/12" woofers. I have no info or experience with Infinity towers or Hafler Amps so I've just been reading along with your and others' experiences. EXCUSE me...I did get to listen for a few sessions, an old friend's set of RSIII's (I believe) set that he re-foamed the 4 woofers. That was a set that should've been mine but...it's ok. Funny story that was! :D

But some of us LOVE Polk speakers AND own and love other brands too or have experienced other brands along our long journeys. Or in Dave's case...A short journey but many, many audio experiences already. B)

This "POLK audio FORUM" is so "other brand friendly" except for "B**E" that I believe a lot of us are still frequenting because of it's Members' diverse knowledge of all things audio. All things.

Look above my Polk SDA-SRS2's and you'll see 2 PRs. of Infinity Q series speakers.
    I too, like the EMIT tweeter sound. ;)B) There is a grill on that one speaker where the Emit tweeter is shinning brightly. It just reflected the light perfectly.

And on the shelf below them, The Monitor 10's w/peerless tweets (laying on their sides) that started my dive down this audio rabbit hole 15 or 20 years ago.
    vavzfnxgwa61.png

Here are pics of some of the 6 prs. The pr. beside the lamp is a frankenfinity. But that little pr. does sound pretty good. The guy said the replacement woofers and mids came from Parts Express.
    pfistaj6c55d.png

And this rare Infinity pr.. I really like these too.
    ubw9rb5mmikp.png
    bebw3rvo7kda.png

Good luck Chris.
    I feel you'll get them sounding the way you want with NO worries. ;)

Post edited by Tony M on
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited January 2020
    First things first. Replace those odd ball tweeter fuses with the correct 2.5a ones No need to buy expensive just make sure they are new and shiny. Hell later you could bypass them if you'd like as they may be discoloring the sound. In the mean time just make sure the fuse holder is polished and deoxit'd. We eliminate tweeter polyswitches on Polk speakers all the time. The reason they are in there is to prevent damage if you drive your amp into clipping and I don't see that happening with the Hafler unless you like permanent hearing loss.

As for the crossovers, As long as the caps aren't leaking or bulging they should be okay to use until replacements are in order. Being almost 40 years old though means they are probably tired and out of spec. Send us some pics of the values on these

Edit: And make sure your amp is plugged directly into the wall. Ideally on it's own dedicated circuit. One thing I don't like about the Hafler amps is their use of cheap lampcord for their power cord. A lot of people replace it with a good quality 12ga one but make sure you DO NOT ground to the frame with the ground plug as this can cause ground loop issues.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • CH46E
    I just picked up some 2 amp fuses for the tweeters. Could not find 2.5. And got some 7.5 for the Hafler.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    dromunds wrote: »

Here is the link you were trying for I think. Just looking at it makes me not want to touch it. I will have to take it slow and just R&R one cap at a time.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/123943679824

Yep, its the second photo. Some pretty big value caps. Be patient and hopefully a good cap sale will come your way. I've had a few pairs of Infinity. I still have a pair of Kappa 8's. Sweet speakers. I remember when I was younger going into stereo salons and thinking there is no way in h*ll that I can ever afford these Infinity speakers but they sure sound nice. Of course, I remember thinking the same thing when I went into stereo salons and saw the big boy Polk SDA's.