Triangle Comete EZ speaker review

Clipdat
Clipdat Posts: 12,557
I'm excited and proud to share my review of the Triangle Comete EZ bookshelf speakers! My introduction to Triangle was at an event last year at a local HiFi shop, I previously had never heard of the brand. I immediately noticed the "live music" quality that the tweeters had. I had a conversation with their rep and we arranged a review of one of their smaller bookshelf speakers, the Comete EZ.

At $1,400 I was thoroughly impressed at their price to performance ratio. You can read my review of them here: https://theaudiobeatnik.com/review-triangle-comete-ez-speakers/

Thanks in advance, and as always, please let me know what you think!

ce0c2z24cytw.jpg

k1a2w51ibymq.jpg

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Another winner Drew. I like that you drove them with multiple different amp technologies.
    Great write up!
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    Informative review, Drew. I had not heard about this brand prior to it.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Excellent review Drew! I hear about the Triangle BRO3 that Sean reviewed at Zero Fidelity and, if I had the funds, I would have ordered a pair of those. These speakers sound like they are several steps up from the BRO3 and would be worth an audition if the budget allows. These are made in France, correct?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Man I would love to hear those speakers in my own room. Great review Drew!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Clipdat
    halo wrote: »
    These are made in France, correct?

Hey Victor, thanks for the inquiry. I reached out to Triangle's rep and got a response for you: "All Esprit models including Comete are made in China. To get French made you have to go up to the Signature or Magellan line."
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Another nice review! Love the Corvette analogy! :smile:

So out of the 4 amps that you paired em with, which one was your favorite?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Clipdat
    edited January 2020
    That's a really hard question Dave, as they all had different strengths and areas where they would shine with particular music.

However, I think my favorite pairing was with the Parasound NewClassic 200.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    I finally read this one all the way through, and it continues to peak by interest in the Triangle brand. Unfortunately with only one dealer in Texas I probably won't have a chance to hear them for some time. I'm still hoping work will land me in NYC again later this year where I can take a weekend to explore some stores and brands there that don't have easy access here.

It's also an interesting competitor to the L200 we have going around. But for the time being, I don't imagine many dealers carrying Triangle and the Legend series. Maybe someone here will get to compare the two at some point.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    verb wrote: »
    Another nice review! Love the Corvette analogy! :smile:

This is why I feel the need to comment (as a stark contrast to others on this forum) on these reviews. They present a way of bringing new products to our attention while being refreshing and not following the same old tired reviews we read in the magazines. Maybe some want to hear about what songs sounded like in relation to other products, maybe others want to hear about facts and figures of which they can surely read on their own in the specifications section from the manufacturer. I personally like to be entertained while being informed. This writing certainly does that in a way that keeps me reading and not falling asleep.

I would challenge others to read some of these reviews by Drew and not see the originality created here by one of our own.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    I agree Joe. Drew has a natural talent in reviewing, that is, IMO, not pretentious. Easy to follow, and understand. Just a regular guy, but smart as a whip when it comes to audio, and has ears that I trust.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    verb wrote: »
    I agree Joe. Drew has a natural talent in reviewing, that is, IMO, not pretentious. Easy to follow, and understand. Just a regular guy, but smart as a whip when it comes to audio, and has ears that I trust.

You're being way too.....polite.