New Star Wars Movie

Saw it tonight. Was a good flick for an old fan. Great story I think. I think any SW fan will like it too.

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    Final SW movie ever! Uh huh sure. Old car salesman trick. No offense to all you old car salesmen...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Will have to check it out
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    My Christmas gift to my 12 year old* - we enjoyed it! I heard negative rumors - bah humbug! Go see it. Will add the blu-ray to the collection when available.
    *and myself** (he he he)
    ** a Star War fan from when “A New hope” was episode 1! Own 4-6 on VHS & laser disc
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Final SW movie ever! Uh huh sure. Old car salesman trick.
    I, too, saw that right at the closing second - the unmistakable indicators of yet another movie.

Couldn’t stay for the credits - wrestling tournament. Pinned his opponent 1:25!
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited December 2019
    Probably waiting for the blu-ray.

Really loved the first two, (the seventies and 1980 ones) and other than Rogue one and Solo, the rest were just not what I was expecting.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Looks like its getting middle of the road reviews, some are disappointed.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    Thanks for posting!

Wifey is a big Star Wars fan, and has been worried about the negative review. I’ve been telling her that the reviews don’t matter if she likes the movie. We have a great theater nearby, so she’ll definitely go to see it there first. These positive experiences are reassuring, so I’ll pass that along.

It was the same with the Star Trek: the first movie was objectively terrible, cringeworthy at times, really, but Trekkies still loved it, and still do!
    Alea jacta est!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    Kex wrote: »
    Thanks for posting!

Wifey is a big Star Wars fan, and has been worried about the negative review. I’ve been telling her that the reviews don’t matter if she likes the movie. We have a great theater nearby, so she’ll definitely go to see it there first. These positive experiences are reassuring, so I’ll pass that along.

It was the same with the Star Trek: the first movie was objectively terrible, cringeworthy at times, really, but Trekkies still loved it, and still do!

I know they planned it to be 9 movies total, but too much time has passed, for the remaining 6 (after the original trilogy) to matter as much for me.

I feel they are almost now just redoing the story with new people, but keeping the old people cause we expect them....
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Nightfall wrote: »

Nah. If you’re a fan, you’ll like it. If your a movie reviewer who likes artsy fartsy crap, then yeah, you’ll be a hater.
  • gp4jesus
    gp4jesus Posts: 1,969
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »

Nah. If you’re a fan, you’ll like it. If your a movie reviewer who likes artsy fartsy crap, then yeah, you’ll be a hater.
    Haters are gonna hate, Joe. By the same token check out the fan bashing 2016 Ghost Busters YouTube videos. You will see and hear some unbelievable political nonsense.

May the Force be with y’all!

Tony
    Samsung 60" UN60ES6100 LED Outlaw Audio 976 Pre/Pro Samsung BDP, Amazon Firestick, Phillips CD Changer Canare 14 ga - LCR tweeters inside*; Ctr Ch outside BJC 10 ga - LCR mids, inside* & out 8 ga Powerline: LR woofers, inside* & out *soldered LR: Tri-amped RTi A7 w/Rotels. Woofers - 980BX; Tweets & “Plugged*” Mids - 981, connected w/MP Premiere ICs Ctr Ch: Rotel RB981 -> Bi-amped CSi A6 Surrounds: Premiere ICs ->Rotel 981 -> AR 12 ga -> RTi A3. 5 Subs: Sunfire True SW Signature -> LFE & Ctr Ch; 4 Audio Pro Evidence @ the “Corners”. Power Conditioning & Distribution: 4 dedicated 20A feeds; APC H15; 5 Furman Miniport 20s *Xschop's handy work
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Possibly one of the worst story lines in any Star Wars movie....I was waiting for the ghost of George Lucas to appear since they are running out of old character to make cameo appearances. But thats just me.
  • JCooki
    JCooki Posts: 2
    we watched the whole family, we liked it
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I was going to wait for DVD, but finding myself in the LA area for work, I could not resist the opportunity to see it on the IMAX screen at the Grauman Chinese Theater.

This movie came across as an “apology” of sorts for the last two in the trilogy. While it was far better than the last two, still not nearly as good as the original trilogy (or Rogue One).

If Disney really wants to make amends to true fans, I have three words:

Grand Admiral Thrawn. Make it happen Disney, you won’t be sorry.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    While my mother was in town for 2.5 weeks over the holidays she actually requested we watch all 9 episodes. The newest one is fun and keeps enough of the new story going and the old nostalgia.
    For those that follow the details of the story line and general rules/limitations of the force, it's disappointing. They certainly took some liberties with the story line and what powers people have. But if you go into just ready to enjoy a fun sci-fi action movie, it's a good time.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,276
    edited January 2020
    daddyjt wrote: »

Sadly, I doubt this would ever happen! I remember when the novels were released in 1991-1993 and bought each on release day ( I still have them ). It's still the best trilogy of novels. FYI...if you have not read it, grab "Shadows of the Empire." One of the best single SW Universe novels done. It's set in between ESB and RotJ.

The 2nd best novel trilogy IMO is the Darth Bane Trilogy. This is totally doable for Disney! Darth Zannah is a ruthless female Sith and would fulfill their need for a "strong female character."

As far as Rise of Skywalker...I enjoyed it. It did "apologize" alot for the first two. I loved the big poke at Rian Johnson...when Rey threw the lightsaber, Forceghost Luke catches it and says (close to) you don't throw something like this away!
    No excuses!
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    daddyjt wrote: »

Sadly, I doubt this would ever happen! I remember when the novels were released in 1991-1993 and bought each on release day ( I still have them ). It's still the best trilogy of novels. FYI...if you have not read it, grab "Shadows of the Empire." One of the best single SW Universe novels done. It's set in between ESB and RotJ.

The 2nd best novel trilogy IMO is the Darth Bane Trilogy. This is totally doable for Disney! Darth Zannah is a ruthless female Sith and would fulfill their need for a "strong female character."

As far as Rise of Skywalker...I enjoyed it. It did "apologize" alot for the first two. I loved the big poke at Rian Johnson...when Rey threw the lightsaber, Forceghost Luke catches it and says (close to) you don't throw something like this away!

I have read Shadows, and yes, one of the best standalone books. If you enjoyed the original Thrawn series, check out the new 3 book series, also by Timothy Zahn... Agreed on the Bane series - Republic Commando would also make a great movie series (5 books).

So much material just ready for Disney to pull off the shelf and hand to a director and a cast....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    The Force awakens was not a bad movie. I enjoyed it and the new cast is pretty good.
    The Last Jedi was OK at best as I liked some of it but a lot of it I did not.
    So going into Raise of Skywalker I have very low expectations and decided to see it in the best Theater out there Dolby. Well let me tell you first of all the Dolby Theater is flat out AMAZING. Best ever sound and video expericence at any commercial theater ever. WOW!
    I think because the sound and picture was so good I enjoyed the movie probably more so then I would have if I saw it in one of the regular screening rooms. The Movie was very fast paced and didn't give you any time to breath. It started and went to the very end of the movie.
    I think they did a pretty good job but seemed to cram in a ton of story and glazed over a lot of it. Still much better then The Last Jedi.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    mantis wrote: »
    The Movie was very fast paced and didn't give you any time to breath. It started and went to the very end of the movie.
    I think they did a pretty good job but seemed to cram in a ton of story and glazed over a lot of it. Still much better then The Last Jedi.
    I totally agree with that statement. I think it's part of what makes the movie a lot of fun. I think it was also somewhat intentional to help cover up a lot of the storyline liberties they took, and was the result of the late director change.

Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited January 2020
    Forget about the late director change... The last film was to have been heavy on Carrie Fisher. The Last Jedi, also diverted heavily from the original story arc for the three films after fan backlash over The Force Awakens, as most fans were having WTF heart palpitations after Starkiller Base was revealed. Not only did they need to course correct after TLJ, they were forced to re-write the entire script to pay homage to Carrie, rather than have her be a major part of it. The entire series was an attempt to fix mistakes made along the way. Deeply flawed from the very beginning all the way through three films and to the final credits.

IMHO, Rise of Skywalker, and all three films of this last trilogy suffer from the same flaws, in that they tried to do too much to honor the original trilogy and took little time to forge their own path. TRoS was tasked with trying to fix all the flaws and damage done by the first two films, while also trying to tie all nine films together with a pretty little Minnie Mouse bow on top.

Though entertaining along the way, this trilogy was an abject failure from a story telling perspective and did nothing to enhance the original films or really open up the Star Wars Galaxy. Disney, for all their creative genius and bottomless pockets of cash, could do no better than George Lucas and the prequel trilogy. We all know how flawed those films were, but I think the or Prequels were better films overall.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    edited January 2020
    I wonder if this movie is still at the theaters?
    Going to check now.

Yep. :)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Bump
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer