Looking for a cdp have 1500-2000 to spend

13»

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Dayum Ryan. Nice find! 14K player for 2K? 100% seller with many sales on the 'Gon. No smoking unit, never serviced.

I find it odd that it does not decode DSD. From a review by SoundStage -
    What will be controversial in terms of the performance of both the X-01 and UX-1 is that neither decodes DSD information -- both convert it to 88.2kHz PCM and then to analog. The Esoteric DV-50's Burr-Brown PCM1738 chips do convert DSD via a decoder interface, but the X-01 and UX-1 use higher-grade Burr-Brown DACs that do not allow for the interface. As Esoteric explained, "With the inherent superiority of the new VRDS NEO mechanism, the datastreams, regardless of format, are amazingly pure. The decoding of these signals was engineered specifically to this new mechanism." Esoteric engineers felt that DSD-to-PCM conversion was "the proper way to obtain the best audio results from the new VRDS NEO mechanism."

NotaSuv - I would seriously consider this one and quick. Before it's gone.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    I had a DV-50S and as far as disc spinners go, the Esoteric products are definitely worth their salt.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,811
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Did you have the ol' Polk Forum go-to tubed player, the JD-100?

BTW, your last post is somewhat confusing to me on the first sentence with the music van. If the one that is banged up is a JD-100, I have a silver faceplate that I will give you if that will help.

Tom

had a jd 100 bought from this board......was looking at the Jolida Music Van kinda a upgraded jd 100
  • NotaSuv

Dayum Ryan. Nice find! 14K player for 2K? 100% seller with many sales on the 'Gon. No smoking unit, never serviced.

What will be controversial in terms of the performance of both the X-01 and UX-1 is that neither decodes DSD information -- both convert it to 88.2kHz PCM and then to analog. The Esoteric DV-50's Burr-Brown PCM1738 chips do convert DSD via a decoder interface, but the X-01 and UX-1 use higher-grade Burr-Brown DACs that do not allow for the interface. As Esoteric explained, "With the inherent superiority of the new VRDS NEO mechanism, the datastreams, regardless of format, are amazingly pure. The decoding of these signals was engineered specifically to this new mechanism." Esoteric engineers felt that DSD-to-PCM conversion was "the proper way to obtain the best audio results from the new VRDS NEO mechanism."

Tom

yes saw this and there is a X1 that is for sale as well at a great price too.....
  • treitz3
    Ah, the Jolida Music Van....I had not heard about this one before. Now it makes sense. I have not heard that particular Esoteric but the rigs that have heard other top end Esoterics in sounded rather nice. FWIW.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,506
    I was wondering how a simple thread for a CD player recommendation made it to 70 posts... now I know.

Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,126
    If I was going for a $2K CDP, I think I'd be looking at a transport like the Cambridge CXC and $1500(ish) DAC. I know that doesn't really answer the OP's question, but given the number of DACs that get high praise at that price point, I think it's worth considering.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited December 2019
    In the basement I'm running a EAD T-100 CD transport connected to a North Star Designs Excelsio DAC, which I absolutely love. Certainly within the OP's budget for a pre-owned combo.

I do like the ability to separate the transport and DAC, which gives more flexibility, IMO.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176

Tom

Never heard any Esoteric products, but read a lot of raves about them, this sounds like a smoking deal! :smile: From a non-smoking household, of course!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    do your research on esoteric, I have read threads where some of them have to go back to japan for repair. seems it costs a fortune to ship to japan plus repair costs.
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    No North American repair shops? Ouch. I retract what I said before. That's a deal breaker. I wish a heavy and expensive doorstop to no one on this forum. Glad I didn't but the one I was looking at before I bought the Marantz.

Tom
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2020
    marvda1 wrote: »
    do your research on esoteric, I have read threads where some of them have to go back to japan for repair. seems it costs a fortune to ship to japan plus repair costs.

Esoteric has a service center in CA., but it appears some older players with a transport issue need to have the transport, not the entire unit, repaired in Japan, which the service center arranges. The user does not have to ship anything to Japan.
    Post edited by F1nut on
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited January 2020
    that's if it's under warranty. it's not for every repair, just areas that only japan will do.
    i will try to find the thread. here's the thread.
    https://forum.audiogon.com/discussions/more-esoteric-problems
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Too bad CEC players/transports aren't easier to find here in the US. There are some used ones out there, but I think they have distribution problems for selling new.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    Well, good news. The shipping has been reduced to only $1,600.00.

*rolls eyes*

According to that thread Jesse, the "X" models have to be shipped there because that's where their alignment tool is for that model.

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034

*rolls eyes*

According to that thread Jesse, the "X" models have to be shipped there because that's where their alignment tool is for that model.

Tom
    It has more to do with the Japanese government than anything else. The poor trade deal we have with them has every item, regardless of why it is coming into the country, being assessed a VAT tax that must be paid, even going there for repairs only and being sent back. VAT on a 10k item is going to be assessed at about 12%.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    edited January 2020

*rolls eyes*

Tom

That's incorrect, only the transport has to be shipped to Japan, which means the shipping cost is a fraction of $1600.00.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• NotaSuv
    edited January 2020
    Had the price down to under 2K BUT the more I talked to owners of older rigs it seems that needing a micro adjustment of the laser is quite common especially with units in transit for long distances if they are not packed correctly....will continue to look thanks for the separate DAC with a transport .. but I wanna have less....so I do not need to buy upgraded power cords and IC's for 2 units instead of one as those can be a bit pricy
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited January 2020
    Have you found anything else to fit the bill yet?

After deciding on what soundbar for the bedroom, I'm now looking for a new smart 4k bluray player for the movie room that will assist with streaming services.
  • NotaSuv
    still looking no rush have 2 decent ones in the house...
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    Lucky! I have one that only works when it wants to.