Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    The XL 600 should control all the crazy load swings those RS's will demand. If the price is right there's no better way than trial and error.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,136
    CH46E wrote: »
    Anyone with some help for cleaning the foam surround on that one bottom woofer.

Ultraviolet light? However, we KNOW that is destructive to foam and plastics. The question is how long do you have to treat and how much degradation in that time frame. It would be like chemotherapy or radiation therapy for cancer. :#
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited January 2020
    Buddy of mine is into Haflers. Built a DH500 kit in '83 or '84, has added to his collection bigly since then. Even got his local friends into them. Bought a heap of Haflers from eBay, fixed 'em as needed, and his pals bought them from him. He has at least one XL600, but mostly DH500s of various versions.

The DH and XL support in the aftermarket is really good. Any DH or XL is going to need fresh electrolytics by now unless it's been done recently. Seems to me there's some trouble with "input boards", at least on the DH series, but better ones are as close as your mail box. He bought one that was said to be "working", when it showed up the leads had melted off of the output transistors. Seller blamed "shipping damage". My buddy said that amplifier had "FET outputs--Flame Emitting Transistors. SOME of these amps (DH, mainly) got used HARD in commercial applications because they were fairly inexpensive, had good power, and sounded nice. Some of the Carver amps were similar--"home Hi-Fi" amps that could be put to work commercially with a change to the input jacks and not much else needed.

Damn fine amps, good basic engineering, eminently hot-roddable. The XLs were nice-looking, too. The major downside is their age.
  • audioluvr
    One thing I forgot to mention about the Haflers is the fan is kinda noisy. Stuff like that bug me but it may not bother you if your environment isn't dead quiet like mine. Also these amps are a relatively bright amp and quite revealing in the upper registers. Combining that with the Infinity's bright and revealing ribbon tweeter and it might be somewhat fatiguing. Again only way to tell is to try it yourself. If the price is right, go for it. Worst case is you don't like it and would need to flip it which shouldn't be a problem as they have a quite popular following.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Wouldn't hurt to start with just mild soap and water, and a toothbrush. See if it comes back after that.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Wouldn't hurt to start with just mild soap and water, and a toothbrush. See if it comes back after that.

I'll give that a light try. Thanks!
  • CH46E
    I'm still reading about the Hafler I found local. He just dropped the price and it's making it very hard for me to not day screw it and buy it.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    ^^^ Mild steel arc welder. Perfect!
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    I'm still reading about the Hafler I found local. He just dropped the price and it's making it very hard for me to not day screw it and buy it.
    You could do WAY worse. What is the current price?

I'd think that at worst, you could try it, see what happens...and re-sell it if it's not to your liking.
  • CH46E
    From what I can tell it's a great price. What say y'all?
    $210. As far as he knows it's original and was used in his Church before it closed. I already asked if he had any old JBL speakers from the church and he does not. Say they had Peavy and they are long gone.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Ya did good.

I can't imagine a church rocking a pair of RSIIs! Awesome!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • CH46E
    lawdogg wrote: »
    Ya did good.

I can't imagine a church rocking a pair of RSIIs! Awesome!

Oh no.... the 210 was for the Hafler that I have not decided to buy yet.

The Infinity are another story. I WISH I GOT THEM FOR $210
  • CH46E
    The RSIIs cost me as follows.

Pair of:
    JBL L3
    POLK RTA11T with 194 tweeters
    PARADIGM STUDIO 20 V1
    KEF K19
    and
    1 Adcom GFA5200
    1 NAD 906 that needed a little work
    3 Polk tweeters (the silver coils thingys)
    1 Polk RM7500 Piano black finish center speaker

And 1 $50 Amazon gift card.

The Polks and JBLs were in awesome condition.

So all that for the Infinity RSII. My wife had been hounding me to get rid of a bunch of speakers. I was only using the JBLs and the Adcom in the living room for TV duty. So most was not being used at all and just took up space. I figured I killed two birds with one stone. Wife is happy and I have a pair of speakers I only dreamed of as a kid.

Now while I play with the RSII I have my RTA12B in the living room for TV duty on a old Pioneer HTR. Kind of a sad sight to be honest.
  • machone
    machone Posts: 1,471
    John Hillig of Musical Concepts can transform a Hafler into something special. I modded my DH500 and am very happy. You can do everything at once or take it in steps. He is very easy to talk to and knows Haflers inside and out.
    Mojo Audio Illuminati v3>>Quantum Byte w/LMS>>Rpi/PiCoreplayer>> Starlight 7 USB >> Mojo Audio Mystique v2 SE>>ModWright SWL 9.0 SE Signature>>Hafler DH-500 Amp+ (Musical Concepts Fully Modded)>>
    SRS 2.3TL (Fully Modded)...Velodyne Optimum 8 subwoofer
    1KVA Dreadnought

Marantz SA 8005
    Pioneer PLX-1000 Turntable - Shure SC35C/N35X - V15III/VN35HE
    Yamaha TX-540 Tuner...Sony BDP-S570
    Sony PS4

Separate subpanel with four dedicated 20 amp circuits.
    1. Amplification 2. Analog 3. Digital 4. Video

"All THAT IS LOST FROM THE SOURCE IS LOST FOREVER"
  • CH46E
    You guys think $210 is a no brainer for the Hafler XL600? It certainly seems to have the horse power needed. I could maybe spend a few hundred on upgrades but that would be it.

We all know HP is not everything.

I mean I have a 3,000 watt Beringer class D amp for my subs but it sounds like doo doo on anything other than a sub.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Well pardon me but if it works as it should then you're wasting time asking silly questions.
    Back in my younger days $210 was a friday night after work.... With nothing to show for it Saturday.
  • CH46E
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Well pardon me but if it works as it should then you're wasting time asking silly questions.
    Back in my younger days $210 was a friday night after work.... With nothing to show for it Saturday.

That is actually a good point and so true.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    I would think $210 in working condition is a no brained deal. Much worse gear goes for much more than that.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    You guys think $210 is a no brainer for the Hafler XL600? It certainly seems to have the horse power needed. I could maybe spend a few hundred on upgrades but that would be it.

We all know HP is not everything.

I mean I have a 3,000 watt Beringer class D amp for my subs but it sounds like doo doo on anything other than a sub.

I'd never sweat taking a vintage piece like that and getting it refurbed for a few hundred.

I have sellers remorse selling Matt Polks Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks. After refurb total cost was including shipping was around $7k. Where in the h e l l was I going to get 250watts of Nelson Pass pure classA amps for under $20k...lesson learned....but didn't have the room anymore and they went to a true audiophiles home.
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • CH46E
    Hey, at least they went where they were appreciated.
  • txcoastal1

Yes sir, I enjoyed them too!! and several Polkies got to hear at LSAF...Ask @lightman1 Russ
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

• CH46E
    Ok little problem.

When I push on one woofer the other only moves so slightly. If one woofer is crossed over at 125 and the other at 60hz would they still share a enclosure? Or would they be seperate? I tried a 40 and 30 hz tone and I think my right speaker lower woofer is not working.

I guess I'll take it out tomorrow and put a meter on it. And see if they are in a shared enclosure and try to locate air leaks.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Yes sir, I enjoyed them too!! and several Polkies got to hear at LSAF...Ask @lightman1 Russ

Yup. I got the chills listening to that set up.
  • Gerres26
    Gerres26 Posts: 859
    lightman1 wrote: »
    txcoastal1 wrote: »

Yup. I got the chills listening to that set up.

What was the rest of the gear in that set up??
  • txcoastal1
    IMG_2253.JPGe734wbx80puo.jpeg

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Since we are currently off topic, I gotta ask. Was that at a different hotel? That carpet and wallpaper are hideous, not to mention filthy.

That's a great combo of gear though. Bet that did sound good Ron.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • txcoastal1
    That was one of the conference rooms at Embassy

The point is, taking a classic amp and refurbishing it is a great value and making it a survivor for many more years

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    Ok little problem.

When I push on one woofer the other only moves so slightly. If one woofer is crossed over at 125 and the other at 60hz would they still share a enclosure? Or would they be seperate? I tried a 40 and 30 hz tone and I think my right speaker lower woofer is not working.

I guess I'll take it out tomorrow and put a meter on it. And see if they are in a shared enclosure and try to locate air leaks.

They are in separate enclosures, so that's odd. It may be worth removing the woofers to verify each is operational.
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • CH46E
    I think I'm going to give that a try today if I can get out of work on time. Looking like my chances are slim right now.
  • audioluvr
    From what I can tell it's a great price. What say y'all?
    $210. As far as he knows it's original and was used in his Church before it closed. I already asked if he had any old JBL speakers from the church and he does not. Say they had Peavy and they are long gone.

Dude! Do not walk. RUN and get it! If it doesn't work for you, you can sell it to me for my barn.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC