Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Options

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    Looking good!
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    CH46E wrote: »
    treitz3 wrote: »
    Debating on bringing them in tonight to try them out.
    Well, I guess you didn't debate too long. This post was an hour ago. LOL

Tom

Yes, I was going to do it tomorrow but I remembered I have to mow the lawn and then we are going to see Celine Dion later that night.

I’m sorry
    Tell her you need to watch the grass grow after mowing
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    Chris, those look great, congratulations. Beautes! Looking forward to seeing how you progress with them and your impressions.
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,434
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Yes, I was going to do it tomorrow but I remembered I have to mow the lawn and then we are going to see Celine Dion later that night.
    I’m sorry
    Tell her you need to watch the grass grow after mowing
    Or just pull a Ricky Gervais and tell her to take her tickets and... well, never mind.
    I disabled signatures.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,547
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Caig DeOxit is your friend.

Tom

Do I just open them up and spray? I've never dealt with pots before. (Pot...yes, but not pots)👍😁

It's ok guys, I actually like Celine.

As far as caps go thi is not going to be a overnight purchase. Holy crap these will be the most expensive crossovers I've re capped. And if I'm reading the schematic right, there is a 1600 if cap! I cant even find one. Nor the 600uf. At least in found some 300s I can tie together.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,316
    edited January 2020
    Options
    That depends on the type, location and access of the pot itself. Unless it's completely sealed, remove the knob if there is one (power off), spray down the openings around the armature of the pot and twist back and forth (do not force).

Repeat as necessary until clean.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    Options
    Thanks Tom. I just put a can in the cart.

• lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 450
    Options
    Congratulations!
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • CH46E
    Options
    So it looks like the RS1b skeletons I got with them are the same dimensions and I can use the base and wood to recondition my RSII.
    4tj3q9opz0lb.jpg
  • CH46E
    Options
    Still listening to them, only the wife is in here with me now.

I dont know if it was all the doubt about the TFM45 being up to the task or not, but I find myself thinking there is something missing. Maybe I just need to re-seal the sub enclosure or maybe I really need a better amp.

I looked at CR, the bay and our own FS thread and I keep thinking maybe a Adcom GFA-555 or another Parasound amp is in order.
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,432
    Options
    What's missing? If you're looking for earth shaking bass then the TFM45 will not be ideal. Look for some monoblocks with lots of current capability and a dampening factor of 400 or more. If it's mid / treble life than it could be old capacitors.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • Gardenstater
    Gardenstater Posts: 4,183
    Options
    If the RS II 's are bi ampable perhaps that TFM45 would be good for the higher end (mids and EMITs)? It's a tube amp correct? I read somewhere in a review for the RS I that a tube amp is required to get good sound out of the mids and tweets, but for the woofers, a high current, high power solid state amp is ideal. Damping factor of only 7 is quite low, and with my limited understanding and experience I'm not sure how you can get good woofer control with that situation.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • CH46E
    Options
    I wish it was a tube amp. It was only transfer function calibrated to sound like Bob Carver's tube amp.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    What's that under your RS II's? Townsend Audio Platforms?
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • Gardenstater
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I see that amplifier is rated into 1, 2, 4, and 8 Ohm output loads! I also see that it has seperate terminals provided for each output. Do you use the 4 Ohm ouput terminals with those RS II's? How tight is the bass? k054hla26dcw.png
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • LoStrings
    Options
    What's that under your RS II's? Townsend Audio Platforms?
    No, since I rotate my speakers, I use furniture dolly’s to help move them.
  • LoStrings
    Options
    I see that amplifier is rated into 1, 2, 4, and 8 Ohm output loads! I also see that it has seperate terminals provided for each output. Do you use the 4 Ohm ouput terminals with those RS II's? How tight is the bass? k054hla26dcw.png
    Yes, I use the 4 ohm tap. That amp works very well with those RS II’s, and yes, very tight and defined bass. Also, the McIntosh runs very cool.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    That seems like an excellent amp for these. How often do you see the clipping protection circuits get activated on the amp? What dB levels or type of music, ie. pipe organ etc..
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • LoStrings
    Options
    That seems like an excellent amp for these. How often do you see the clipping protection circuits get activated on the amp? What dB levels or type of music, ie. pipe organ etc..

I have never seen the Power Guard lights come on..I listen to Jazz Fusion, Classical, Electronic music (Jean Micheal Jarr, William Orbit, Tomita to name a few).
  • treitz3
    Options
    That is a big boy Amp that can handle the load. Nice rig ya' got there LS.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • LoStrings
    Options
    I have been using a Yaqin VK-2100 tube integrated amp with the RS II's. It is a fantastic sounding amplifier with 85 wpc, class A/b solid state amp, with a preamp that utilizes 4-6n1 tubes. amazing sound, and plays well with the Infinity's.8liyh1faffn1.jpg
    m3xboad44dn7.jpg
  • LoStrings
    Options
    That is a big boy Amp that can handle the load. Nice rig ya' got there LS.

Tom

Thanks Tom, it’s a journey we go on in this hobby, it’s nice to see other people enjoy it.

Gene.
  • treitz3
    Options
    That it is, Gene. That it is. I wouldn't trade my audio journey for anything. It's been nothing but fun!

BTW, I see that you are relatively new around here. If I have not said so before...Please allow me to offer you a warm a very warm welcome to Club Polk.

Tom
  • LoStrings
    Options
    That it is, Gene. That it is. I wouldn't trade my audio journey for anything. It's been nothing but fun!

BTW, I see that you are relatively new around here. If I have not said so before...Please allow me to offer you a warm a very warm welcome to Club Polk.

Tom

I have been a long time lurker, but I don’t post that often, but thank you for the warm welcome.
  • CH46E
    Options
    LoStrings wrote: »
    I have been using a Yaqin VK-2100 tube integrated amp with the RS II's. It is a fantastic sounding amplifier with 85 wpc, class A/b solid state amp, with a preamp that utilizes 4-6n1 tubes. amazing sound, and plays well with the Infinity's.8liyh1faffn1.jpg
    m3xboad44dn7.jpg

That looks like great way into tubes on lower budget. Very interesting.
  • CH46E
    Options
    Anyone with some help for cleaning the foam surround on that one bottom woofer.
  • Gardenstater
    Options
    Hydrogen Peroxide kills mold, but I'd be leery of spraying that onto foam
    George / NJ

Crown D150 amp
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
  • CH46E
    Options
    Hydrogen Peroxide kills mold, but I'd be leery of spraying that onto foam

That's what I'm worried about. That form looks like it will soak up anything.

• CH46E
    Options
    Hafler XL600 is for sale locally. Looks to be able to handle a 1 ohm load no problem. Anyone know what the sound quality is like on one of these. I know very little of the Haflers.

http://www.hifi-classic.net/review/hafler-xl-600-427.html