I just pulled the trigger on a new tüübed pre....this one should be pretty sweet!

Hopefully the seller accepts the offer. We shall see.

I'll keep my fingers crossed but I just pounced on one of the pre's I have been eying lately. This one is in mint condition and I can only hope that it tops what I have been used too.

We shall see.....stay tuned.

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    Such a tease Tom...... Cmon... more deets!!
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    Obviously the famed klipsch pro media processor with the Underwood tube mod
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Congratulations Tom... glad to see you were able to step up to a piece like this. Nothing but the very best for you and your audio journey.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    Very nice. Congrats
  • VR3
    Excellent Tom, let me know when you hook it up so I can verify your polarity

Congrats!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Heck, Joe.....I think it may be here by the time you show up. I have no idea how this thing is going to sound. It may be horrible, it may be great. I dunno. At least you will get to hear it though...

I cannot even begin to describe how much research went into finding a preamp to replace the Dodd MLP. I am F'n EXHAUSTED of research. Just want to get me ears on a decent pre again.

Shut up Trey. You too Russ, while I am at it.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    Uh huh, you will need a new rack now and umbilical cables, and... And!
  • treitz3
    UGH, don't I know it. More money gone...

Rack is adjustable. I was set and ready to spray it this weekend but I must now hold back to see how in the heck I am gonna fit this one in. Might have to move the RG PS to the floor or get rid of it altogether and get the 20a line installed sooner rather than later.

Ah, chit son! Mo' money, Mo' money.....does it EVER end? (Rhetorical question here, folks)

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    edited January 2020
    Congrats!
    Hope she meets your expectations
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Man that is a sexy beast, and uses my favorite tubes
    ;););)
  • VR3
    Super clean, liking it, any special tubes?
  • treitz3
    edited January 2020
    No mention in the ad, Trey.

[EDIT]: From the ad itself - Line stage featuring (4) military grade 6SN7 vacuum tubes.
    Matching external power supply featuring (1) GZ34, (2) 6V6 and (1) 6SL7 vacuum tubes.

Seller also has this for sale at a cool 7K...

6s2x1rw2zxbe.png

Come on, John...ya' know ya' want it!!!

Tom
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    That is the little brother to my table...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • treitz3
    Oh, I did not know that. Schaaaawwwiiing!

Damn, John. Wow. Please allow me to digress...

Tom
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    Congrats on your new Preamp Tom! If she sounds anywhere near as good as she looks, you're Golden!
  • oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
  • Wardsweb
    Wardsweb Posts: 899
    Very nice indeed.
  • miner
    miner Posts: 1,305
    Enjoy the warmth of tubes. A nice preamp you have.
    [
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Nice that it uses 6SN7s. I like 6SN7s (FWIW).
  • treitz3
    miner wrote: »
    Enjoy the warmth of tubes.
    Ah, to have tubes back in the rig again....The Dodd had 4ea 12AX7's and the two "temporary" pre's I have had in the rig to tide me over were both SS...

...and I can tell. It sounds like an SS rig at the moment.

I'm excited. I don't know yet whether or not this will sound good in the rig but with the amount of tubes and tube types, I should be able to dial it in pretty much any way I want and tailor the sound to the rig/room/my preferences.

Thanks guys for the kind words. I hope my decision was a wise one. Only time will tell.

Tom

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Nice Tom.....guess who's gonna have a boner for 6 months straight. :)

Seriously dude, good brand that I never got a chance to get ears on but everyone seems to rave about. Looking forward to your impressions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    edited January 2020
    I had made an offer on one of their ss (class a) magnus power amps but changed my mind and went ayre.

what tubes are you getting with the unit
    bring it to lone star this year :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • treitz3
    marvda1 wrote: »
    what tubes are you getting with the unit
    Just gonna roll with the stock tubes for now, let her break in for a bit before I go tube rolling. Probably give it a good month or two before I do anything in that department (unless it sounds horrid).

After that, I will have to figure out which tube direction I would want to go. Any changes in sound with regards to tube rolling will be documented to the inth degree, so I can keep track of what changes what. Never had a pre with this many tubes in it.

The PS is double choke regulated, so I will have to see what changes swapping out any tubes would make on that. Perhaps the owner's manual might shed some light on that. I'll be honest, I don't even know what the heck that is but my dual mono MF amp is choke regulated and I love how that thing sounds. That amp alone stopped the constant musical Merry-Go-Round of amps flying in and out.....and to think, I bought that one as a "temporary" amp when I was having issues with my Anthem1 amps. Go figure.

Tom

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Spectacular acquisition Tom! Congrats :)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • marvda1
    marvda1 Posts: 4,862
    tom, sometimes preamps that have four tubes in them only two of them influence the sound. contact the manufacturer to find out as it's much cheaper to have to buy a pair than a quad :D
    Amplifiers: Norma IPA 140, MasterSound Compact 845, Ayre v6xe, Consonance Cyber 800
    Preamp: deHavilland Ultraverve 3
    Dac: Sonnet Morpheus 2, Musical Paradise mp-d2 mkIII
    Transport: Jay's Audio CDT2 mk2, Lumin U1 mini
    Speakers: Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II
    Speaker Cables: Organic Audio Organic Reference 2
    Interconnects: Argento Organic Reference 2, Argento Organic 2
    Power Cables: Argento Organic Reference, Synergistic Research Foundation 10 and 12 ga.
    Puritan PSM156
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Very neat and tidy internal design/layout.
  • RobbyKY
    RobbyKY Posts: 117
    Congratulations on an awesome looking piece of equipment!

I've been researching tube preamps for weeks myself which is a really deep rabbit hole as I'm sure you found out. Which other models were on your short list?

I keep coming back to a BAT VK50/51SE or Cary SLP-05 but I'm wanting to go with balanced inputs & outputs so it limits me somewhat. Not super hung up on a killer phono section as I'm mainly digital but want to play with tubes again.

I'm working with fully modded 2.1tl's, Parasound JC-5, MIT cables, Cambridge 851N streamer and AQ Mackenzie IC's.
    Media Room: Parasound JC-5, Cambridge 851N, Schiit Freya, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Game Room: Carver M4.0t, Carver C-4000, Oppo BDP-105, SDA SRS 1.2tl
    Bar/Card Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Oppo BDP-93, SDA SRS 3.1
    Son's Room: Carver TFM-55, Carver C-1(BillD), Laptop/AQ Dragonfly, SDA SRS 3.1
    Bedroom: McIntosh MC150, Cambridge CXN, SDA 2Btl
    Outdoor Pool Area: Yamaha R-N803 with four Polk Atrium 6
    HT: Polk RTi A9s, CSi-A6, RT-65, RTi-A3's, Marantz SR5012, XPA3, UDP-203, Epson 5040UB