Why are there TWO sets of red/black inputs on the back of my speakers??

2»

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    J_Kennedy wrote: »
    It's typically poor etiquette to bump old threads, but 12 years old? This has to be a record.

And it's not even the same topic.

The guy just joined yesterday, maybe cut him a break?

So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    No.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    edited January 2020
    Basically, if you want to feed more watts to the speakers, a separate amp is needed as any current receiver isn't going to be pushing upwards of 150 watts per channel.

Since the receiver you grabbed has no pre outs to add an amp, your better off selling it and starting over. Now, to buy a decent receiver with pre outs and an external amp, your looking at roughly 1000 bucks. Are you prepared to do that ?

If no, then look for an older Pioneer SC series receiver, about as close as your going to get without an external amp, and still retain the current HT codecs like DTS HD Master audio/Dolby Digital plus. You won't have any atmos software in those receivers though, if that matters. I just saw a Pioneer SC 05 for 400 bucks somewhere.

I should add, your S55's are not that power hungry anyway. A good subwoofer would take most the power requirements off the speaker to produce yielding better sound too. Something else to think about.

Pay little attention to those recommended watts on the back of speakers. Pay more attention to your volume dial, not going past say -13 on the dial. Trouble starts when you ask for too much volume from a speaker that either can't handle it or is underpowered. Imho....you can get away with what you have if you keep a check on the volume dial, and maybe add a subwoofer to help out.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I find that only necessary when the watts refuse to leave. You yawn and make all the suggestions about needing to get up early the next morning. The watts just sit there and stare into the dying embers of the fireplace. I even get up and get their coats and head to the front door, hoping they get the hint. Finally there's nothing else to do, I have to haul them up from their chairs, drape their coats over their shoulders and push them out the door.

I knew you'd be there for us with a simple answer!

B)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I am still wondering about equipment pushing watts...

Yeah, people get too caught up in the pushin! You said it!
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited January 2020
    J_Kennedy wrote: »
    It's typically poor etiquette to bump old threads, but 12 years old? This has to be a record.

And it's not even the same topic.

I am never sure of whether this is true or not. Some forums advice members to find an older post and add to it, to avoid having a dozen posts about the same thing, but I agree after several years, and the lack of the same subject.......if that is wise~