Why are there TWO sets of red/black inputs on the back of my speakers??

AndyDJX
AndyDJX Posts: 3
Hi folks; total noob here. I just got some of the polk RM40ts and am a little perplexed by something that is probably obvious. With ever speaker I've ever owned, it's been pretty simple: run the speaker wire from the receiver to the speaker, and as it splits in two, insert the black end to the black input and the red side to the red input.

How come there are FOUR total inputs on the back of these speakers? Two for black, two for red (or +/-)

Feel free to laugh at me for not knowing what's going on, as long as you help provide answer as well!
Post edited by AndyDJX on

Comments

• wallstreet
    wallstreet Posts: 1,405
    edited February 2008
    You can bi-wire the speakers for improved performance. Most folks just run two wires and leave the jumper installed. Make sense? And welcome to Club Polk!
  • AndyDJX
    edited February 2008
    Hmmm... explain this to an idiot--I've just tried googling things and ended up reading about spades and bananas and wound up even more confused. I go into the electronics store and buy speaker cable. It splits into two parts; I put the copper wire stuff into the + and - on the back of my receiver. How could I run two? What's a jumper?

Thanks for the welcome! I definitely care enough about sound quaility to spend a lot on speakers/ headphones and the like but I am clearly not an audiophile in terms of my knowledge! I'm trying to learn though...
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited February 2008
    Just outta curiousity, what speakers did ya get? Don't get get all 'nuked out' over this hobby, it gets EXPENSIVE! But, to answer your question, you can go several routes: spades, banana plugs or just straight wire into the binding post.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • J_Kennedy
    J_Kennedy Posts: 137
    edited February 2008
    If you want to use them "normally", just connect your speaker wire to one or the other of the red/black sets. I assume the R's have a red/black pair on the one on top of the other. You'll see a piece of metal between the red's and blacks and you'll leave that there. Just connect to one or the other.

They are there however, if you want to bi-amp. If you're receiver will let you, as mine will, and I'm in the middle of doing today, I'm going to bi-amp. In my case (Onkyo 805 that allows for it if you're not setting up a 7.1 system, you connect the rear surrounds and front mains from the receiver, the front speakers)

That means I'm going to connect the front speaker connection from the receiver to the top set of connections on the speaker; the high tone part of the speaker so that one channel will be dedicated to driving the highs. Next I'll connect the rear surround connection from the receiver to the lower set of connections on the speaker; the low tone part of the speaker so that one channel will be dedicated to driving the lows.

Doing that, I'll need to remove the metal jumper so each is fed the dedicated channel.

It's supposed to provide much better highs and lows. Of course I'll have to tell my receiver that I'm bi-amping and it'll make some changes.

Otherwise, if you have separate amps, you'd so the same thing using 1 channel for the highs and one for the lows. The 805 is just set up to bi-amp already.

You can also bi-wire which I'm not sure what the benefit is, but I'm not doing it so I haven't focused on learning what it is. :D

Ok, going back to drop the speaker wire down the walls where the FXi3's are mounted now, then I'm ready to move everything back into place and plug all the new stuff in!! :D Whoo whoooo.
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - Polk FXi3 Surrounds/Rear Surrounds
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    bi wiring is running two speaker wires from your receiver's speaker connections to the back of the Polk speaker.. one pair goes to the upper connections, and one pair goes to the bottom. all from the same receiver.. but YOU DON"T HAVE TO DO IT AT ALL either.. don't bother with it at this point and just enjoy your new Polks. :)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • rainman31
    rainman31 Posts: 76
    edited February 2008
    You can run tweets on one amp and the mids or woofers on another amp for more power. Just remove the jumpers connecting the terminals

7.2 Set Up
    Onkyo 805
    X-Box
    3DO
    PS3
    Velodyne DPS10 sub
    Polk Audio 2- RTI 12's
    Polk Audio CSI 5
    Polk Audio 4- FXI 5's
    Pronto 7500 LCD remote
    Gefen HD video 1080p scaler
    Mitsubishi TV 73927 1080p

Future purchase Rotel RMB 1095 200x5 THX
  • AndyDJX
    edited February 2008
    the RM 40Ts. I am quickly learning how expensive all of this is! I was able to get an amazing deal on the RM40s....but then I realized my old center and surround weren't up to snuff and had to replace those with speakers from the same series. yikes.

Okay, so I'm learning a little more here. I have google imaged spade and banana plugs and sort of see how they work. I still don't get how when my receiver only has one red and one black output for each front speaker, how I end up with being able to plug in two black and two red inputs into the speakers.

Does anyone reccomend one over the other-- wire, spade or banana?
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited February 2008
    banana's make connections easier on both the receiver and speakers
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • J_Kennedy
    edited February 2008
    I'm using wire on the binding post for the speaker, but I'm using banana plugs o the receiver and for a wall jack for the speakers that I'm running wire for. It's probably just a matter of installation preference. Using the binding posts on each end is certainly much simpler.
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • seeclear
    seeclear Posts: 1,236
    edited February 2008
    J_Kennedy wrote: »
    You'll see a piece of metal between the red's and blacks and you'll leave that there. Just connect to one or the other.

The tweeter is wired internally to one set of posts and the Mid/woof is wired internally to the other set. The piece of metal that JK mentions above is the "jumper", and carries the signal from one set of posts to the other if you are just running one set of cable to the speakers. Not all receivers support bi-amping, so it would be useful to know what receiver you have before commenting further whether you have that option. But you definitely don't have to bi-amp. Just don't bi-amp and leave the jumpers in place!

You mention only having one set of connections on the receiver for the fronts, and what some receivers will allow you to do is use the rear surround channel to bi-amp the fronts, but you have to change the settings in the receiver's setup so it knows you are doing that. Hope this helps, stick around here, you will learn a lot and end up wanting to spend lots more money on your equipment!:eek::D
    "Don't forget to change your politician. They are like diapers they need to be changed regularly, and for the same reason."
  • J_Kennedy
    edited February 2008
    seeclear wrote: »
    The tweeter is wired internally to one set of posts and the Mid/woof is wired internally to the other set. The piece of metal that JK mentions above is the "jumper", and carries the signal from one set of posts to the other if you are just running one set of cable to the speakers. Not all receivers support bi-amping, so it would be useful to know what receiver you have before commenting further whether you have that option. But you definitely don't have to bi-amp. Just don't bi-amp and leave the jumpers in place!

You mention only having one set of connections on the receiver for the fronts, and what some receivers will allow you to do is use the rear surround channel to bi-amp the fronts, but you have to change the settings in the receiver's setup so it knows you are doing that. Hope this helps, stick around here, you will learn a lot and end up wanting to spend lots more money on your equipment!:eek::D

Exactly, and my Onkyo 805 does just that. Even label the rear surrounds as (bi-amp) so I went in and made one simple change and viola! :D
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • jayman_1975
    jayman_1975 Posts: 672
    edited February 2008
    bi-wiring is possible as well by simply running 2 sets of wires to each speaker. Both connected on the receiver to the same posts, but on the speaker they split and one set goes to the highs and one to the lows. You would remove the "jumper" if you were to do this. Whether or not there is a difference in sound by bi-wiring is totally up to you. We have pummeled that issue into mince-meat on this forum and still haven't come to a conclusion.
    Onkyo TX NR 5008 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Oppo BDP 93 modified by The Upgrade Company
    Arcam CD37
    Monitor Audio Gold GS 60
    Revolver Audio Music 5 towers.(surround)
    Vandersteen V2W
  • Bill Ayotte
    Bill Ayotte Posts: 1,860
    edited February 2008
    A picture is worth a thousand words.....The first picture is just a picture of the back of my bookshelves, I am pretty sure yours look similar. I have bananas plugged up into the lower set of inputs...

The second pic is kinda crappy, sorry it's kinda early for me. It has a little more detail. you can see the HF and LF labels on the backplate. High Frequency and Low Frequency. The metal plate you see is the "jumper plate", some people use a small run of speaker wire between them, I don't feel like making one at this point. You don't need to use both sets, but they do have to be connected in some way. Most companies recommend you connect your wires up to the LF inputs.

DSC_1198.jpg

DSC_1201.jpg
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    Those aren't Eichmanns bananas are they?
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    Gaara wrote: »
    Those aren't Eichmanns bananas are they?

Yes they are. They were holy **** expensive for plastic bananas, but they plug up real nice, and are all kinds of easy to solder....I couldn't be happier with them. :D
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited February 2008
    Yes they are. They were holy **** expensive for plastic bananas, but they plug up real nice, and are all kinds of easy to solder....I couldn't be happier with them. :D

I was looking at those a while back and ended up with Kimber Postmasters. Thanks for the info.
  • joey_halen2000
    joey_halen2000 Posts: 1
    edited February 2008
    amp.jpg

This is my amp here, and I just want to clarify how if I was to bi-wire it. So for my tower speakers (RTiA7) I would connect the bottom two spots on my speakers to where it says "Surround Back/Bi-Amp" on the back of the amp ? and this will give me better sound quality for movies or music or both ? I'm really new to setting these things up but recently bought myself what I think is a pretty nice setup :

Yamaha HTR6190 Receiver
    Polk Audio RTiA7 Towers
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Polk Audio RTiA3 Surrounds
    Velodyne 12" Sub
  • Bill Ayotte
    edited February 2008
    This is my amp here, and I just want to clarify how if I was to bi-wire it. So for my tower speakers (RTiA7) I would connect the bottom two spots on my speakers to where it says "Surround Back/Bi-Amp" on the back of the amp ? and this will give me better sound quality for movies or music or both ? I'm really new to setting these things up but recently bought myself what I think is a pretty nice setup :

Yamaha HTR6190 Receiver
    Polk Audio RTiA7 Towers
    Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
    Polk Audio RTiA3 Surrounds
    Velodyne 12" Sub

That is a pretty nice setup, I don't know if HF of LF is on the bottom of the new RTis, but I would hook the front channels into the LFs and the "bi-amp" channels into the HF...I couldn't tell you if there will be an improvement in SQ for that receiver, but I know there was a pretty big improvement when I bi-amped a set of speakers with 2 separate amps in my setup....
  • lockmart
    lockmart Posts: 107
    edited February 2008
    moved
    TV Samsung 61" 1080P DLP LED

TV Samsung 50" 1080P DLP
    HD-DVR
    Receiver Yamaha RX-V663
    Fronts 2 Rti 8's
    Surrounds 2 Rti 4's
    Center Csi 3
    Sub Bic H100
    PS3 40GB
  • lockmart
    lockmart Posts: 107
    edited February 2008
    moved
    TV Samsung 61" 1080P DLP LED

TV Samsung 50" 1080P DLP
    HD-DVR
    Receiver Yamaha RX-V663
    Fronts 2 Rti 8's
    Surrounds 2 Rti 4's
    Center Csi 3
    Sub Bic H100
    PS3 40GB
  • J_Kennedy
    edited February 2008
    Onkyo says use front channel for HF and rear surround channels for LF and the rear surround out's are labeled as such.

I assume RTi8's are HI on top and LF on bottom?
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • Hey Guys.....so i recently bought a new receiver pioneer vsx934 but it pushes about half the power my old yamaha pushed.....ive never needed an amp but am looking into 1. Now my towers are 8ohm and bookshelfs are 6 ohm in which this reciever pushes twice as much on 6 ohm so all i need ampd is my towers. Can i run the amp to one set of plugs on my Signature S55's and the other set just to my reciever? Trying to figure out exactly what i need to get to make this thing atleast get 150w p front channel. Thanks.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    That receiver does not have pre outs, will not work with an external amp
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • kliewerville
    kliewerville Posts: 7
    edited January 2020
    So what are my options? It says something about connecting a pre amp main to zone B connections? Ive never used a home amp so pretty much a green horn in this dept. Would Bi amping my fronts be good enough? Thanks
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Bi amping will not increase power needed. You need a receiver with preamp outputs and then add an amp

Zone B will not work either
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Ok so the whole bluetooth amplifiers with a bluetooth enabled receiver wont work either?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Post up an example
    If you are running a 5.1 home theater setup I doubt it would decode properly

By the time you start investing into something like that you're probably at least 1/2 way to buying a receiver with preamp outputs
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Well I have a reciever now with preamp outs but it pushes 160w/ per channel which is great...but its an older yamaha so i wanted a newer receiver with better options etc so i saw that vsx 934 for 120$ and on the pioneer site they are selling it for $699 so i jumped on it thinking i could just get an amp to push more to my front L/R..... Didnt know you needed certain things tho, i thought you just connected audio out to the amp input and the amp pushed the power. And then i see amps that are apparently bluetooth and that receiver is blutooth so i didnt know if that would evwn work....??
  • J_Kennedy
    edited January 2020
    It's typically poor etiquette to bump old threads, but 12 years old? This has to be a record.

And it's not even the same topic.
    - Onkyo TX-SR805
    - Polk RTi8's Main L/R's
    - Polk CSi A6 Center
    - HSU VFT-2 MK3
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    I am still wondering about equipment pushing watts...