Sippin' Bourbon

Comments

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    tratliff wrote: »
    Although I really enjoy Blantons I don’t think it competes with some of the brands in the same category. I generally like bourbons of a higher proof.

I apologize, I'm in the wrong place, this is the sippin bourbon thread and here I am a guzzler.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    Anyone know where to get eagle rare and / Blantons?
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    edited December 2019
    engtaz wrote: »
    Anyone know where to get eagle rare and / Blantons?

@engtaz - Where you located?

I can find them from time to time but sometimes the cost is higher than I want to pay. I know some stores now that have some but not for what I am willing to pay.

Total wine is the best price when you can hit them at the right time but that is very infrequent.

From what I have discovered you just have to search. The hunt is half the fun.

I might visit 20 liquor stores on a Saturday when I have nothing better to do. Over time I have found certain ones that are worthy of a visit.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    so, I don't know the first thing about bourbon or any other whisk(e)y, for that matter*, but I happened to be shopping for hooch yesterday,and I happened to ask about whiskey (because of a loved one in the family who does enjoy the stuff) and he happened to recommend this -- highly. Sez it's smooth.

https://www.buffalotracedistillery.com/brands/wl-weller

9fuh7w2jxjbn.png

So I bought a bottle. :p I am pretty manipulable, I guess ;)

Further details as events warrant.
  • tratliff
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    so, I don't know the first thing about bourbon or any other whisk(e)y, for that matter*, but I happened to be shopping for hooch yesterday,and I happened to ask about whiskey (because of a loved one in the family who does enjoy the stuff) and he happened to recommend this -- highly. Sez it's smooth.

9fuh7w2jxjbn.png

Its a pretty good mixer. I like to have some on hand. Not as rare as the other Wellers and available at most locations in DFW.

If your loved one is not a "Bourbon Snob" they will enjoy it. :)

2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

9fuh7w2jxjbn.png

It was good advice, honestly.

The W. L. Weller brand from Buffalo Trace is the same recipe/base as the Old Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle brands. Both are wheated bourbons and W.L. Weller bourbons are typically significantly cheaper and easier to find (although still difficult) than the Old Van Winkle/Pappy Van Winkle brands.

Being wheated, though, both brands tend to be smoother than their brethren that have a secondary mash bill composed mostly of rye.

I wouldn't call Weller "a good mixer", though. It's far better than that.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • kharp1
    edited December 2019
    Weller is far better than a "mixer." I was pretty picky about my bourbon choices and this is one of the bourbons I always kept on hand. Not in the same class as some, but, definitely not in my "mixer" class.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    The loved one in question is a pretty snooty drinker of his whiskey and tends to (I think) like them kinda rough... I still decided to take a shot at it... what the heck. I figured if it's truly smooth (as advertised), heck, I might even like it.

:|
  • Jstas
    Everyone I know that is a boubon snob would be holding out their empty glass if they knew you were uncorking a bottle of Wellers.

I'll put it that way.

• tratliff
    You guys are reading way to much into that comment. Weller SR is a great bourbon. Just not something I go to on a regular basis. Refer back to the pictures of what I have on hand.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    edited December 2019
    kharp1 wrote: »
    tratliff wrote: »
    Although I really enjoy Blantons I don’t think it competes with some of the brands in the same category. I generally like bourbons of a higher proof.

I apologize, I'm in the wrong place, this is the sippin bourbon thread and here I am a guzzler.

Kerri for Guzzling I highly recommend the special taste of "Ten High" and you can't beat the price ;)

I myself 1st fell in love with Blantons then found it to be way to smooth which is why I think most people would love it...

I found something out at skips get together...where Dennis loves Ejaih Craig and I love
    & prefer Knob Creek after and told Jeff this & that I use to like "Four Roses" & Woodford Reserve but that both are not my favorite anymore and just good but not special...but after Jeff tried many different Bourbons he found he like 4 Roses the best!

Which only goes to show that other people can recommend a bourbon for you but in the end it is up to your taste buds to tell you which one is best for you!

Now most bourbons are made using a mash build of 70% corn -18% rye & 10% barley...some remove the rye for Wheat which lets the sweet corn taste shine thru more where the rye reduces the sweetness of the corn..

so Makers Mark & Weller and Larceny & papy van winkle are wheat bourbons with no rye ( 70% corn & 18 % wheat & 10% Barley) are different then rye bourbons hence I find I do not prefer Wellers or Makers Mark..but that is only my taste buds talking..and you have to know what you prefer and that is why I am a big Rye Bourbon fan!

I always have Wellers & Larceny & Makers Mark 46 on hand even though they are not my favorite they are still very good bourbons and a nice change of pace from my High Rye Bourbons or cask strength I normally prefer...now Makers Mark Cask Strength is a most try :) I took some to the LSAF my 1st year I went there :)

i7p22tzdncx4.jpg
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • kharp1
    I sipped about a 1/5 at a time when I was drinking, which is why I label myself a guzzler.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,650
    Im in Tampa,FL
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Picked up the Stagg and the Weller from this year’s Buffalo Trace antique collection this weekend.

Now let’s see how long I can hold off before they get opened...
  • kharp1
    It's not worth much to me if it's not in the glass.
  • tratliff
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Picked up the Stagg and the Weller from this year’s Buffalo Trace antique collection this weekend.

Now let’s see how long I can hold off before they get opened...

That is a great score.
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    The aging is done....I say bottoms up!
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Haha. Normally I don’t hesitate to open a bottle.

But they sell on the open market between $750-$900, each. Once they hit a few years old they can easily double that number.

They will be opened and enjoyed, but I need a little extra motivation before I kiss all that profit goodbye!

Who knows, Christmas is right around the corner!
  • kharp1
    Well, once you taste the Stagg you'll only be concerned with being able to buy another one. That's just my opinion.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Just tried Basil Hayden's over the X-Mas break. Oh, man.....that's smooth.

Still getting my learn on but this one? I like it. Such a wonderful aftertaste.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • tratliff
    edited December 2019
    Enjoy whatever is in your cup this Christmas!

Cracked this one open last evening. Has to be in my top 5.

Also picked up many this week including Knob Creek 12, Bakers 13, Bookers, Little Book, 1792 bottle in bond, Midwinter Night Dram and a Buffalo Trace Bourbon cream.

I need to stay out of the liquor store.

ucgp76n0idue.jpeg
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    Holycrapp, yeah you binged

I'm sure that boat will will run fast if you add a little to the tank ;)

Merry Christmas Todd
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    That Midwinter Night Dram is quite possibly the best I’ve ever had. Problem is I’ve only had it once so I don’t really know if it’s as great as I remember it.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • tratliff
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Holycrapp, yeah you binged

I'm sure that boat will will run fast if you add a little to the tank ;)

Merry Christmas Todd

Thanks Ron. I think it would be cheaper to buy racing fuel. I’ll save the bourbon for my tank!

Happy holidays buddy.
  • tratliff
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    That Midwinter Night Dram is quite possibly the best I’ve ever had. Problem is I’ve only had it once so I don’t really know if it’s as great as I remember it.

Great to hear Paul. Never had it but many have told me to get one. Stumbled on one yesterday and said what the hell.
  • kharp1
    Loved Bakers, but, never got to try the 13. Probably for the better.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    edited December 2019
    Interesting read here: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.10best.com/interests/drinks/your-small-batch-artisanal-bourbon-is-probably-a-lie/amp/

With the bourbon boom lately there have been dozens of new “small batch” companies coming out and claiming proprietary blends. By the letter of the law, that may be true but the mass production of these spirits takes away from the intention of the hobby. And then there are the ones that are so rare you can’t ever find them - and even when you do the store owners are marking them up 2-5 times their actual worth. Only then to find out that In some, the recipe isn’t even their own and they are anything by “small batch”. It has actually soured me on something I liked to do. Some of the intrigue is finding a rare bottle, but not when you have to wait years between getting one and paying a 500% mark up.

I like blanton’s a lot (and have become very loyal to the Buffalo trace offerings) but can only find it at one place near me on occasion - and when I do the guy is charging $175. Would love to get just a taste of Elmer t lee or pappy van winkle before I die.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • Jstas
    Not all the small batch stuff is mass produced from MGP and the likes.

Look up "rapid aging whiskey".

There's several techniques.

https://qz.com/907619/the-many-scientific-ways-to-age-whiskey-many-years-in-just-a-few-days/

But you don't need fancy scientific gizmos to do it either.

Some of the small batch companies are just using smaller barrels. With less product in the barrel it can all cycle through the smaller barrel in less time. So you can get in about 6-10 months from a 15 gallon barrel what would take 4-8 years in a typical cask. So you go from distillation to market in a much shorter time. Granted, you're not going to be able to put your actual age on the bottle. Like, you can't call something aged for 10 months in a 15 gallon barrel and equivalent to 12 years in a cask as a 12 year old spirit.

But if you're a small craft distiller, using smaller casks gets a similar product with much tighter quality control tolerances and a very short, comparatively, ROI on the product. You're not going to be stomping down Jack Daniel's doors to raid their distribution network any time soon but you can make a product that will sell in a small regional area pretty well.

• vcwatkins
    vcwatkins Posts: 1,993
    Love the Midwinter Night's Dram. Spice was perfect for Christmas.
    Beach Audio: Rega RP6 (mods) - AT33PTG/II - Parks Budgie SUT - PSAudio NPC * Eversolo DMP-A6 * Schiit Yggy * Joule-Electra LA-100 mkIII * Pass Aleph 30 * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 2.3tl (mods) * PSAudio PPP3
    Beach Study: Pro-Ject Stream Box S2 Ultra & Pre Box S2 * Pass ACA * DH Labs SS Q10 * Brines Folded ML-TQWT RS 40-1354 * PSA Dectet
    Beach Master: WiiM Pro * Dayens Menuetto * Zu Libtec * Dynaudio Audience 50
    Beach Den: Bluesound Powernode 2i * DH Labs SS Q10 * Zu Omen DWII * Richard Gray RGPC
    Town Study: WiiM Pro * Chord Qute (Pardo) * Elekit TU-8600 * MIT S3 * Revel M22 * Beyer DT-990 * Shunyata Hydra 2
    Town Den: Music Hall mm5.1se - Denon DL-103r - Jolida JD9ii (mods) * WiiM Pro * Cary xCiter * Rogue 99 Magnum * Schiit Aegir * MIT S3 * Polk SRS 1.2tl (mods) * Dectet * Bottlehead Crack - Senn 600
    Town Porch: WiiM Pro Plus * Sunfire Sig II * Canare 4S11 * Magnepan 1.6 * Dectet
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Anyone ever try Old Forester? We just subscribed to Hulu and every other commercial seems to be for the stuff....