Esoteric Audio Research

124»

Comments

• joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Dave, I’m very glad you’re enjoying them however you’ve got to give @Clipdat some credit too as he gave me a blistering deal on them. :)
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Dave, I’m very glad you’re enjoying them however you’ve got to give @Clipdat some credit too as he gave me a blistering deal on them. :)

Thanks Drew! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited December 2019
    Dave, what associated gear are you running the EAR with? Is your signature updated and can I run off of that? Also, now that some time has passed, what are your overall thoughts on your EAR pre?

Currently looking at the EAR 868L or LP as a possible contender for the Dodd MLP, if it cannot be repaired. I DO want a tubed pre and yours just so happens to have the type of tubes I prefer sound wise. The other ones (868L and 868LP) reportedly have one ECC82 and four ECC83's or two pairs of the somewhat unusual 7DJ8 tube (PCC88) instead of the ubiquitous 6DJ8 (which can be directly substituted) (Not sure which ones at this point). All of the research I have ran across so far is all over the map but I do not think the phono stage uses any tubes. It's my understanding that instead of using a third tubed gain stage, he uses step up transformers with 3 selectable primaries.

Tom
    Post edited by treitz3 on
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Tom, have you ever considered having Charlie Cocci make you one? Just a thought
  • treitz3
    What I have to say about that, I will discuss privately. Not publicly. The answer is no.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Hi Tom yes my sig is up to date. I absolutely love the EAR pre and CD combo. Compared to the Marantz AMP1 and CD1 combo in the office, well there is no comparison. They made such a profound improvement to my near field experience it was unbelievable!

The 834L that I have does not include a phono stage.

I did run the EAR on the big rig and compared it to the Cary, and the Cary was the winner there for me at least. The Cary delivered a bit more in the lower frequencies, provided a bit more detail, and expanded the soundstage. They were very close IMO.

Now I never rolled any tubes into either of them during the head to head comparison, that may have made a difference. But I had already planned to move the EAR upstairs to the office. Without the Cary, I would have been very happy with the EAR downstairs, as it does have the edge over the VTL pre I had there previously.

And there’s the Joule. I just started playing with that, but haven’t moved it past the secondary rig yet.

Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    edited December 2019
    Gotta laugh at myself here a bit, I’ve been on a binge lately acquiring tube pre’s! Too many pre’s not enough time!

Have not heard any Dodd gear yet.

And compared to a bunch of you out there, I’m still on a learning curve. Still on the JV team! :smile:
  • treitz3
    edited December 2019
    Damn. That was not what I was hoping to hear. I currently have a Cary pre (although, not that one and it is an SS pre) and I have had the most beautiful tube amplifier I have ever seen in my rig. Outside of my rig? I freakin' love the Cary's.

That Cary tube amp, I had stock tubes and a some extra really good tubes along with a plethora of signal tubes. I tried and tried and tried everything in my power to get that tube amp to sound good in my rig. I even told Jerry (the owner) that he was not going to get it back. He told me, "Over my dead body!". I asked him where I needed to start digging. I wanted that amp so bad, as I heard it on two other rigs and it sounded glorious.

Needless to say, after exhausting all options. I returned that tube amp with a heavy heart. I could not get it to have any synergy with my rig whatsoever. The Cary pre I have in their now is respectable but I have lost so much compared to the Dodd MLP with the current tube selection, it needs to go. It was a temporary pre to begin with, so that just is what it is. It may just be that (and I do believe this), Cary has or does something in their designs that are just not compatible with my rig.

Getting back to the Cary tube amp, Jerry and I had thought that maybe something got messed up when I brought it up from Atlanta. Well, we hooked it back up to the system it was in before I brought it up to Charlotte and once again, it sounded glorious. Not one issue whatsoever.....just didn't sound that way in my rig.

I was hoping the EAR you had got a better review from you for my needs. The 3 main things you mentioned are the three things I will not compromise on. Thanks for your honesty, I really appreciate it.

Could you at least tell me what tubes you are currently running when you get back from the land of sin?

Tom
  • verb
    At the time I did the head to head with the Cary, I was running the original tubes that came with it, NOS Sylvanias IIRC. I now have 3 Mullard’s (1950’s vintage) in there and the improvement was profound.

It would be interesting to do a head to head with the Cary now. I also have a bunch of 6SN7’s to roll in the Cary as well. A battle of the tubes!

• treitz3
    When you get the chance (if you want too), please hook the EAR up to replace the Cary without touching anything else to skew the results. Let me know what your impressions are keeping the very tubes you have in their now...then let me (us) know what the results are as you swap the tubes around.

If you would be so kind as to do that? I would be much obliged. I might even throw in some great tubes for you for your troubles.

Tom
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Give me a shout when you decide to cut the heard a bit on pre amps. None of those are slouches by any measurement.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • treitz3
    My one question versus the Cary would be, "Is it veiled"?

Tom
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    a little background info for the Roulette Table Master . . .

https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/battery-powered-tube-preamplifiers.6148/
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • GlennDog
    edited December 2019
    When Cary CS opened up my 98 for surgery, I don’t know what procedure affected the sound more. Obviously a combination of everything.
    Perhaps consider a Cary that’s direct coupled with HexFred’s . . . ymmv
    Mine is not veiled whatsoever
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    tonyb wrote: »
    Give me a shout when you decide to cut the heard a bit on pre amps. None of those are slouches by any measurement.

I agree Tony. I wish I had more time to play with em! I gotta retire! :smile:
  • treitz3
    kxwjs7l8aq8z.png

This was the Cary tube amp I tried so hard to sound great (or even good) in my system. It was/is one of the, if not THE most beautiful amp I have ever seen. It looks so much better in person than it does in the above stock photo but the synergy within my rig was blah. Again, when we brought it back down to Jerry's rig? Musical bliss.

It wasn't the amp, it was something within the amp that simply did not gel with my system.

@GlennDog - I had forgotten most of the history and information about the particular Dodd MLP I have. Thanks for the reminder. The history of my system(s) over the years have been documented here and there online but most of it was on a forum that is no longer running. There was some cool information I had forgotten about in that link! Thanks!

What other pre's have you had in your rig to compare to your Cary, if you do not mind me asking? It might put things more into context for me when you mention that your Cary SLP-05 is not veiled. Also, when doing your comparisons to other pre's (if you did), did you have the same rig back then as you currently do now in your sig?

Tom
  • verb
    Wow that is stunning! :smile:
  • GlennDog
    treitz3 wrote: »

@GlennDog - I had forgotten most of the history and information about the particular Dodd MLP I have. Thanks for the reminder. The history of my system(s) over the years have been documented here and there online but most of it was on a forum that is no longer running. There was some cool information I had forgotten about in that link! Thanks!

What other pre's have you had in your rig to compare to your Cary, if you do not mind me asking? It might put things more into context for me when you mention that your Cary SLP-05 is not veiled. Also, when doing your comparisons to other pre's (if you did), did you have the same rig back then as you currently do now in your sig?

@verb
    I’m pretty sure that Tom is asking for your input (tagged me by accident)

@treitz3
    The comment about my Cary pre-amp not being veiled was in regards to my 98 that I have up in the flea market.
    The 05 is not veiled either…
    In fact, in the last week or so my system is at a new (Mo betta) level. It sounds glorious.

In spite of the awesome sound, I am flirting with the idea of going with a high-level (to me) dac/pre combo.
    If that works out, I’ll be downsizing and my 05 will be on the market, too. Time will tell😎
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    Sorry for the confusion, @GlennDog - I misread and thought that you were referring to the 05. Turns out after re-reading, you were talking about your 98. My bad.

I think I have seen you with the Backhart Rhumba as well. Just wondering what your setup is and which of all of the pre's you have/have had worked best. Then I wanted to know if your sig was up to date so I could tell what you were running it with.

Tom
  • GlennDog
    What’s sounding sweet at the moment is . . .

Lumin Mini >>. NSD* DAC >>. Cary 05 >>. Rogue 180 monos >>. Salk HT2-TL

Wireworld cables, except between dac and pre I’ve got MIT (i’m torn between removing the MIT and going with WW ...platinum maybe)

To date, the 05 is the clear winner, but it’s also the most expensive. Especially when you “roll-in“ high-quality tubes… Pun intended 😂

* North Star Design

ps forgot that I toggle between USB WW Platinum and AES Transparent Premium from Mini >> DAC
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • verb
    edited January 2020
    I don't know why I look, but this popped up on US Audio Mart. Good price, IMO. Minor cosmetic issues on front faceplate, but otherwise really nice shape. :smile:
    uy5ff6hjil37.png
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649577193-ear-yoshino-868-preamp-one-of-the-best/images/2513094/
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    That is very nice for sure.
  • verb
    I keep looking! Oh dear, and a pretty decent price too! :smile:
    Nice EAR tube power amp! Another rabbit hole! :smile:
    e6vdsy7xfhsg.png
    https://www.usaudiomart.com/details/649554872-ear-534-stereo-power-amplifier-50-50w/images/2409988/
  • GlennDog
    ya only live once! Add ‘em to the garage rig ...
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • treitz3
    I like your style, Glenn!

Tom