Infinity RSII....??? Any one had ears on them?

Was looking into a pair that have some refoaming done and appear to be in pretty good shape.

0pvw8d6u13jy.jpg

Comments

• gyosa
    gyosa Posts: 675
    Those were Some of my dream speakers when I was in college .....
    First pair of speakers I ever bought with my own money were infinity RSa’s - while in college...
    Two way bookies with the fabulous emit tweeter .....
    Man , I loved those things .......

Bk
    Parasound A21 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Polk SDA 1c’s ( my first love .. ) , Kimber Kable 4TC, Sony 42” - BEDROOM

B&K EX-442 ( it will go in my casket when I die ... ) , PS Audio 4.6 preamp ( old school , but it still jams on ... ) , Yamaha wxc-50 , Boston Acoustic voyager 7’s - POOL

PS Audio Stellar S300 , Eversolo DMP-A8 , Yamaha wxc-50 , Kimber Kable 4vs , Salk Supercharged Song towers ( difficult choice between these and my family if I had to choose ... 😩 ) , Sony XBR-A8F 65” OLED - DEN , MAIN RIG

Cambridge Audio 851n - sitting in the closet , for now

Onkyo TX-nr609 , Polk atrium 7 , Boston acoustic sound ware (4) , Boston acoustic sub , B&W center , Sharp 65” TV - PATIO

DAYENS AMPINO ( thanks Verb ! ) , KEiiD streamer ( this was only 60 bucks ?? ) , Polk atrium 8SDi’s - KID’s BEDROOM
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Yup. My buddy has a set he refurbished. Fresh surrounds and crossovers. They are notorious amp killers so find some high current that can handle low impedance dips.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    I was looking,at my Carver TFM 45 and it seems to be stable at 2 ohms.
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    edited December 2019
    You should jump on them as they are only going up these days. Very collectible, but that TFM45 is not enough amp for them. Think Krell or Pass Labs. Nakamichi PA-7 would do well also.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • CH46E
    edited December 2019
    Is it a current issue for the Carver? I know the RSII can dip down to 1-2 ohms. But nominal is 4 ohms.

My TFM-45 was upgraded and refurbed this year.

I see 2 ohm is rated for 560 watts "dynamic" power, so that means for a short burst right? 500 watts at 4 ohm seems like a lot of power to me.

Factory specs are

8-ohm FTC rated power/ch 375 W
    4-ohm FTC rated power/ch 500 W
    2-ohm dynamic power/ch 560 W
    Bridged mono power 1000 W
    4/8-ohm FTC rated THD 0.5 %
    Rated full power bandwidth 20-20kHz
    S/N-IHF A-Weighted,dB 110
    Slew Rate 180

You really think this amp would struggle? I dont want to burn it up and in know some vintage infinity speakers have laid thier claim to lesser quality amps.

Thanks for the dialogue guys.
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2019
    From what I can recall, The RSII is perhaps king of the Amp Killers. Stout mono-blocks would be the way to go IMHO Something that would continue to drive into nearly a direct short for a short period of time.

There was a store here called Sound Factor in Encino that sold them back in the day. I was laughed nearly out of the store when I asked about a set of these they took on in trade. I wanted to use a Kenwood (Don't remember the model) to drive them. I was told that ML No20 would be the minimum amp needed to drive them. The power supply needs to be above and beyond to stand up to the RS.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    edited December 2019
    I don't know why everyone wants to bash Carver amps here. They are quite capable of running those Infinity's as they were designed to run the Carver Amazing's which were quite the hogs themselves. The thing about the Carver amps though is they don't store energy like other designs instead draw power as needed directly from the outlet they are plugged into. Look at the UL rating on the power cord base. Not sure but the TFM-45 is probably rated at 1500 watts (that's what my 1.5t says) which means it will utilize every bit of a 15 amp circuit if needed. This is why it's so important for these amps to have a dedicated circuit for them to function properly.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • nooshinjohn
    edited December 2019
    I am one of the biggest Carver fans here, and I did not in any fashion bash the brand. All I said was you need an amp that has it all, and a robust power supply and a TON of instantaneous current to control the RSII. It is not all about the watts, but rather the ability to control those speakers with an iron fist and a velvet touch.

The Carver TFM-45 is a great amp for most speakers, and the RSII is definitely not most speakers.

As an aside... the TFM series was not designed to drive the Carver Amazings. The Carver Silver Seven tube amps were. The Silver 7/9 series monos were, and everything else trickled down from there. I would be happy to try and reach out to Bob and ask him about the pairing, or perhaps CH46 would like to do so. He can be reached through the website for this tube amps.

https://www.bobcarvercorp.com/

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    I totally agree with you that it can certainly be bested by other amps but the question was whether it would survive powering the RSII's (unless I misinterpreted the OP's question) which IMHO it would do fine but those speakers would shine with, like you said, a Pass, Krell, Threshold or other brand amp designed with arc welding capabilities.
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • halo71
    halo71 Posts: 4,567
    Great speakers! I've heard them before driven by Mark Levinson amps. I was looking at a pair of 2.5's. But couldnt get right on the price with the seller. I have RSIIIa's that I will never part with.
    --Gary--
    Onkyo Integra M504, Bottlehead Foreplay III, Denon SACD, Thiel CS2.3, NHT VT-2, VT-3 and Evolution T6, Infinity RSIIIa, SDA1C and a few dozen other speakers around the house I change in and out.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    edited December 2019
    CH46E wrote: »
    <snip> You really think this amp would struggle? <snip>

My advice? Listen to what you are being told. Even the Carver M1.5t struggled to keep up with the Amazings. That's why Bob built the 7t's, 9T's and the Silver 6, 7 and 9 tube amps. He needed an amp that could power the damn thing.

The TFM-45 was not built to power something (well not like you think it was), it was built to emulate a sound from another amplifier.

To answer your question, yes. Even if you bought another one and mono blocked them. I heard a pair before but they were hooked up to a pair of Silver 7 tube amps. That amp has no problem powering anything and is naturally high current.

With that behind me, let me offer you a bit of constructive advice based completely on experience. Don't buy them unless you just want to hear them at low volumes not properly powered -Or- plan on investing in a true big boy amplifier for these to truly enjoy what they have to offer. If you can't do the latter, don't even bother.

FWIW.

[EDIT] - Sorry, John. I posted this before making it down to your last post. Your amps would make these babies sing.

Tom

~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • CH46E
    You guys gave me some great food for thought. I will think hard before making a decision.

Its sounds like it has more to do with the "current"capabilities rather than just wattage.

On another note after reading @audioluvr comment about the draw from the plug (not storing power) I will unplug my 45 from the power condition and put it directly in the second outlet that I have on a dedicated 10 awg line straight to the 20 amp fuse in my panel that powers my system.

Again, Thanks for all the help guys.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    I ran my set briefly on a Parasound 1200ii and had planned to buy a second so I could run them each off a diff amp. The 1200ii doesn't "bridge" but according to the owner of Parasound, it would provide ample wattage, and current since only one side would need to do its thing, providing better dymanics... I think they called it "stereo mono" or something like that....

Just putting that out there as those amp's aren't as pricey as some of the others thrown around.....
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,475
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    edited December 2019
    I loved mine. They are one of the few speakers I truly miss. I would jump on another pair if one popped up.

The EMIT tweeters are phenomenal (there's one on the back too). The mid array - even as cones - is fast and detailed and keeps up with the EMIT no problem. The bass is fast, tight, deep, and powerful. Each woofer has its own sealed enclosure and one is crossed lower than the other.

They do prefer lots of power (more accurately perhaps, lots of current). Your amp needs to be able to put a lot of current into a nominally 4ohm load (or a little South of that). The Polk SDA crowd isn't a stranger to speakers that like a lot of horsepower and torque.

As you can see, I used a Yamaha CR-1020 that I was refurbing, and it worked without issues, but I mainly used my MC7300 which is obviously a different animal.

y1e3sctbb92s.jpg
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    edited December 2019
    treitz3 wrote: »
    With that behind me, let me offer you a bit of constructive advice based completely on experience. Don't buy them unless you just want to hear them at low volumes not properly powered -Or- plan on investing in a true big boy amplifier for these to truly enjoy what they have to offer. If you can't do the latter, don't even bother.
    I think 'low volume' is key here, which is a relative term. Some of these guys listen at very high volumes, and 'low' volume for them is probably 2 or 3 watts. But 2 or 3 watts can still be VERY loud. As long as you use some care and common sense, you'd probably be fine with your Carver, and in the meantime, patiently look for a high-current amp.

Btw, I have a pair of RSIIIab like halo71, and although they are in storage right now, I do love them. The EMIT tweeters truly are wonderful IMO.

EDIT: Had to fix it. I have the 'b' version with the clear poly woofers.
    Post edited by jdjohn on
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    I've had the RSIIIb's and currently have a pair of Kappa 8's. Like jdjohn said, just use some care and common sense on the volume knob. I really like the EMIT tweeters, my Kappa 8's also have an EMIT tweeter on the back as well, and every time I put them in the rotation I think to myself, "These are really nice speakers." If it were me and I could get a good deal on the RSII's, I'd snap them up and then eventually work to acqire real nice monoblocks. My kappa 8's shine real nice on my 1950's Heath W5M tube monoblocks and they aren't big wattage, but they do have fantastic iron and that makes a big difference in my humble opinion. They are very desirable and if you can get a good deal I doubt very much you'd ever lose money re-selling them if you had to assuming you are not geographically isolated.
  • treitz3
    I dunno Jody. I said the same thing when I had the Carver Amazings that I drove one way 11 hours for. At that point, I had plenty of Carver amps in the house. Tried them all in all sorts of different hookup combinations. If memory serves, they were the TFM-45 (2 of them), M1.0t, M1.5 and an M-500t. Actually, at that point in time, I think I had the M4.0t as well.

Needless to say, I didn't want (at that time) to invest in a big boy amp and I convinced myself that I could listen at "reasonable levels". Well, even with what I had, I had convinced myself incorrectly.

I sold that pair of Amazings within 2 weeks.

Just couldn't do it. None of the amps I had cut the cake. I also did not want a system to where I was limited in amp choices that could properly power the speakers, all of which at the time were very expensive for me and I was not a big fan of the sonic signature of the 7t or 9t's I had heard the Amazings paired up with before. Oh, they could power the speaker with no issues. They just were not for me sound wise.

2 or 3 watts with a pair of Klipsch speakers? No problem. Heck, I have ran systems before with 8 watts and was really happy with a pair of...of......of.........oh, dang. I forget the speakers. Focal something or other (sucks getting old - it was a bookie). 8 ohm nominal speakers though.

He can do it. I'm not saying he can't. I just wanted to let him know my thoughts from my own personal experience, so he didn't go down the road I went down. In my case, it was a complete waste of time, much frustration and a waste of money. To each his own.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,966
    800 series chorus line up Mr @treitz3
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Ah, the Focal 807v. Thanks Trey!

Had a serious brain **** on that one.

Tom
  • Schurkey
    Schurkey Posts: 2,100
    edited December 2019
    Are the Infinities reactive? Polk speakers are said to be "easy to drive" despite the 4- or 6-ohm nominal rating because they're resistive, not reactive. My understanding is that Magnaplanar speakers are similarly resistive, not reactive; and also "4-ohm".

Anyone on a Polk forum should know about excess capacitance being an amp-killer; due to the Polk "Cobra" speaker wires having that reputation.
    https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/19047/i-hooked-up-the-dreaded-polk-cobra-cables

Problems multiply when current gets out-of-synch with voltage.
  • CH46E
    lawdogg wrote: »
    I loved mine. They are one of the few speakers I truly miss. I would jump on another pair if one popped up.

The EMIT tweeters are phenomenal (there's one on the back too). The mid array - even as cones - is fast and detailed and keeps up with the EMIT no problem. The bass is fast, tight, deep, and powerful. Each woofer has its own sealed enclosure and one is crossed lower than the other.

They do prefer lots of power (more accurately perhaps, lots of current). Your amp needs to be able to put a lot of current into a nominally 4ohm load (or a little South of that). The Polk SDA crowd isn't a stranger to speakers that like a lot of horsepower and torque.

As you can see, I used a Yamaha CR-1020 that I was refurbing, and it worked without issues, but I mainly used my MC7300 which is obviously a different animal.

y1e3sctbb92s.jpg

How did they compare to the JBL L250ti you have in there?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    Back in the 80's I bought a new pair of RSIIIb's. Would love to hear them on the equipment I have now.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • CH46E
    lawdogg wrote: »

y1e3sctbb92s.jpg

Also thanks for the pic cause it gives me a very real sense of thier size next to the JBL.
  • lawdogg
    lawdogg Posts: 449
    edited December 2019

Also thanks for the pic cause it gives me a very real sense of thier size next to the JBL.

Those JBLs were not the Ti version, they were first gen L250. And to be honest I did not like them, I found them lacking detail and generally lifeless in the mid / treble. The RSII were so much better in every way. For what it's worth all crossover components were original in both - maybe they needed replacing in the L250 more than the Infinity. But between the two I'd take the RSII.

(I don't want to hype up the RSII too much - maybe you won't like them... but I sure did.)
    <3 my 3.1TLs

I will fix your shifted magnets for free. :)
  • CH46E
    edited December 2019
    I'm very torn between making an offer or not. I cant stop thinking I'm about to let a local pair slip away like I did some JBL XPLs and a pair of JBL TIKs..

Maybe I should take the next TDY to the South West Border and make some of that OT $$$ and buy some Kenrick Sound speakers like I have ALWAYS wanted.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    If they’re local and you are in a market where you can sell them later if you want or need to, and it’s a good deal, I’d grab them. Keep them until you get good monoblocks and maybe upgrade in the meantime at your convenience. Especially if they are in real nice shape. Maybe you can talk him down even.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    At least go listen to them. I would think an audition is in order for gear of that caliber. Of course let the seller know you are a serious buyer and not just 'kicking the tires' to waste anyone's time. You may fall in love, and you know what they say: "Better to have loved and lost than to have never loved at all." <3
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • CH46E
    edited December 2019
    Thanks guys, I'll call him tomorrow and see if I can give them a listen. Not sure if he has them set up as he seems to be a flipper and has a lot of gear on CR.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    If you think he's a flipper then definitely haggle on the price. That may help your decision
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a