Absolute inept service from Polk Audio over and over

BjornB17
BjornB17 Posts: 752
edited December 2019 in Customer Service
First off, I've been a dedicated Polkie since about 2003. I've been through my fair share of Monitor series and RTi and RTiA speakers. Most recently I had some RTi12's but was looking to upgrade to some other Polk setup.

A few weeks ago I listed my RTi12's for sale locally and got a buyer within a couple days. I knew my tweeter was dead so I call up Polk CS and wait on hold for 30 minutes, and order a replacement tweeter (the version from the RTiA9). All is good, I get an e-mail invoice and I'm supposed to get it in a week or so. Meanwhile I sell the speakers and tell the guy I'll have a new tweeter to give to him in a week.

A week goes by, I call up Polk CS, wait on hold for 30 minutes, they tell me that they thought I called up previously to cancel the order (?), but it has not been cancelled yet and they can still ship it, and expect in in a week or so.

A week goes by, I call up Polk CS, wait on hold for 30 minutes, nobody answers, finally select the call back option. Get a call back in about 20 minutes. It is the same guy I've talked to 3 previous times. I ask if he can give me a tracking number, he says I called last week to cancel the order so he did (I didn't). He says I can place a new order. I finally say screw it and buy one on ebay. Almost a month has gone by and Polk just wont ship me a tweeter.

Polk, wtf is going on? I've had great service in years past but you have one guy working there that has no clue what he is doing.
KEF Q150 | Rythmik F12 | Yamaha Aventage RX-A780

Comments

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited December 2019
    This continues to happen over and over; the Forum is filled with complaints and bad experiences over the past couple of years.

Bad service is no longer the exception, it is the rule. It is a shame, I hope that whoever is in charge there starts caring a little more about the Polk reputation for customer service.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • That’s too bad. They used to be amazing, I almost looked forward to things failing so I could order more.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• BjornB17
    Being a Previous Polk CS rep (left the company about 8 years ago) I’m still sad to see this, seen many a comment about this. Polk CS was always ranked Best in the industry... :(

Wow your first post, welcome. Thanks for the great service in years past! I've always had great service in the past and I still love Polk products. Hopefully they can straighten their CS department out.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    No excuse (poor service) from a company that expects to sell a $6,000 speaker. My head just spins at how those 2 things can co-exist.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Well not really my first Post ;) , my previous username was Dubradio, I’ve always held a special place in my heart for Polk. Both myself and my father had worked there and loved the company. I still have respect for those Polkies.. Long live Metro dr crew.

CS was always a driving factor of what made Polk great, we did what we needed to do make customer happy, wether that be tracking down crossover schematics of a 40 year old speaker for a customer to be able to replace a single 5$ capacitor rather than forcing them to buy an entire new set of speakers, or providing detailed setup instruction for the first gen surroundbars.

I started under Ken , and then was lead by Kim Jasper, at the time I left it was Kim, Eric, Helen, Breanna, and myself. Still the best team I’ve ever worked with.

A lot of the downturn has definitely been generated by the heavy handed DEI Holdings and “Sound United” hat that the company is now under.

I respect the engineering and development teams still to this day, it just seems like most of what Polk was have had its hands tied by the joke that is DEI/SoundUnited and its “leadership”. In particular the downfall began under JIM Manarik and Has seemingly become less customer focused under KEVIN Duffy.

It’s sad to say Polk likely won’t even reflect what it once was ever again, with the industry going in a totally different direction as consumer habits have drastically changed.

But better believe I will hang onto my older RT800 and rt55i and still enjoy listening to them with my emotiva every day 😁

Hey @CassidyStains, I found this post insightful.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Thanks, appreciate it!
  • @BjornB17 Please DM us your email and phone number, we will have a manager contact you to have this issue resolved ASAP.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hey all, thanks for the heads up. Definitely not our intention to disregard customer service, I'm forwarding this to the head of customer service to see if there's something we can do to improve things especially right now which is our busiest time of the year.

Thanks Cassidy! We get a lot of first timers reaching out here, very frustrated, because of not getting the customer service they deserve.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BjornB17
    @BjornB17 Please DM us your email and phone number, we will have a manager contact you to have this issue resolved ASAP.

Thanks, but I already bought the tweeter off of ebay about a week and a half ago. Not much to do about it now.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    You can at least follow up and try to resolve the problem for future customers.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BjornB17
    BlueFox wrote: »
    You can at least follow up and try to resolve the problem for future customers.

Good idea, I'll do that
  • BjornB17
    @CassidyStains, PM sent :)
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Excellent. Thanks.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    edited December 2019
    Wow really sad to hear about Polk CS. I’ve only had to deal with Polk CS once in the past. One of my DSW microPRO 3000 had exposed sealant on the driver’s reverse roll surround. Called CS, got a shipping box, and replacement unit. That was a great experience. At the time I think, around 2003, those subs where selling at $999.

So after years of good luck, my luck ran out on a direct order for an LSiM 706c. Arrived dented. Opened a web ticket, waited, then called and left a VM with call back info, waited, then emailed websitessupport@soundunited.com and waiting. I spent $7400 on Polk speakers in the last month and hear crickets from their CS dept.

Hate to say it but if this keeps up, Polk Legend L800 will likely be my last. Time to move on to more deserving companies.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BjornB17
    I'd say that the point they are missing with their super slow and unresponsive customer service is that when we spend a lot of money on their equipment, we are excited to put our new toys to use. In the past, their good CS meant we would be up and running in no time. Now it just drags on to the point where the enthusiasm is lost (if you even get any service at all).
  • mpitogo
    mpitogo Posts: 475
    In a world of same day delivery and streaming at your fingertips, slow customer service is no customer service. In a world of AI driven Ops Amazon for example, you can pretty much get a replacement for damage goods via simple ticket. They email you a printable shipping label and you’re off. But this is a different model.
    • Living Room Music-2.0 Polk Legend L800 | McIntosh C70 | McIntosh MA5200 (Treble) | McIntosh MC452 (Bass) | Sublimeacoustic K231 Active xover | Denon DP-2500A | Denafrips Ares II | Belkin Soundform Connect | iPad Air USB to DAC
    • Media Room Ht-7.2.6/13.1 (Atmos/Auro-3D) Polk LSiM707, LSiM706c, LSiM702 F/X [x4], height LSiM703 [x6], HSU VTF-15H MK2 Dual | Marantz AV8805A | Rotel RB-1590 (L/R) | Appollon NC500 11ch | Sony UBP-X800 | AppleTV 4K | JVC RS2100
    • Game Room-5.1 Polk LSi25, LSiC, LSiF/X | Marantz SR7009 | AppleTV 4K | Xbox One S | Sony PS2, PS3 | Nintendo Wii | Gaming PC | Sony 75" LCD
    • Master Bedroom Music-2.0 Totem Hawk | Marantz PM-10 | Marantz SA-10 | SONY PS-HX500
    • Office-2.0 Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX, DSW microPRO3000 | Rotel RA-1570 | Marantz HD-CD1
    • Daughter's Bedroom 1-2.0 TBD Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 2-2.0 Klipsch RP-600M | Martin Logan Forte
    • Guest Room 3-3.0 Martin Logan Motion 40, 50XT | Onkyo TX-SR705 | Apple TV | Samsung 55" TV
    • Guest Room 4-2.0 QAcoustics 3030i | Sansui AU-6900 | Topping DX7s | Sansui FR-1080 | TV
    • Maintenance: Pro-Ject VC-S Record Cleaning Machine
  • BjornB17
    I finally heard back from Polk a week later after messaging them and they don't seem to be aware of what my message was in regards to. Sorry guys this is a lost cause :D
  • BjornB17 wrote: »
    I finally heard back from Polk a week later after messaging them and they don't seem to be aware of what my message was in regards to. Sorry guys this is a lost cause :D

Yes, we asked for you to remind us what you needed assistance with because it was a message you sent to us right before our Christmas break. We want to make sure we connect you with the correct department, and besides, you're not the only person we've assisted here in the past week. So excuse us for asking you for a brief description of what you needed assistance with, not much we can do with just your email and phone number and 0 reference point.

I've gone ahead and forwarded your info to someone on the technical support side.
  • BjornB17
    BjornB17 wrote: »

Yes, we asked for you to remind us what you needed assistance with because it was a message you sent to us right before our Christmas break. We want to make sure we connect you with the correct department, and besides, you're not the only person we've assisted here in the past week. So excuse us for asking you for a brief description of what you needed assistance with, not much we can do with just your email and phone number and 0 reference point.

I've gone ahead and forwarded your info to someone on the technical support side.

Between my post above that explained what the issue was, you asking me to send you my contact info (including e-mail associated with my customer support issues), and me sending you that info, I figured you would be able to deduce what the issue was without me having to start from the beginning again.

Your rude and clueless response to me speaks volumes regarding what the problem with Polk CS is. YOU are the problem.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    She is not the problem sir. She is trying to be your solution and it's not even her job to do so.

Is is so hard to cut, copy and paste in one email your issue, your contact information along with serial/model numbers?

One other thing, try to be a little bit more polite. She is not customer service. She is attempting to correct a wrong here and with an attitude like that? I damned sure would not to help you. Jeebus, it's ONE DAY after Christmas man...

FYI, Polk CS does not cross reference threads on this forum and emails to try to figure out how to solve an issue they do not know about. They are a completely separate department from this forum.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BjornB17
    edited December 2019
    This original issue was in regards to a tweeter for an RTi12. The speakers have already been sold about 2 months ago and I sourced a replacement tweeter from ebay and gave it to person who bought my speakers. From a technical standpoint this issue has already been resolved, so I am not seeking help in regards to that.

All I can offer at this point in time is constructive feedback to the customer service experience. I like Polk products and intend to continue purchasing them if they can get their CS issues worked out. Other posts on this forum reflect a similar experience to mine.
  • treitz3
    Cassidy, it may be helpful to those on the forum who have for years (if not decades) been able to help Polk direct folks with issues on where to go and the best way to contact them/remedy their issues.

Heck, at this point, I don't even know who is the point person or head of the department is for Customer Service. Can you please relay an email (that will be answered and addressed properly) and a phone number for customer service? Also, the head of Customer Services name (PM it to me if you do not want his/her name made public)?

Help us to help you help us.

We used to be proud to point folks in the right direction when it came to repairs. With the lack of CS lately? I'm almost embarrassed to point anyone anywhere with regards to Polk. TBT.

People need to know that there is service after the sale and I know it's not your job to do that. Help us to help you.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    treitz3 wrote: »
    FYI, Polk CS does not cross reference threads on this forum and emails to try to figure out how to solve an issue they do not know about. They are a completely separate department from this forum.

Tom

This may be "Part" of the confusion. I think some new customers see "Customer Service" heading on this part of forum, assuming it is read or linked TO Polk's actual customer service section.....

When in reality, it is a place to simply post customer service type issues I assume.
  • treitz3
    Back in the day, this area of the forum was the direct link to CS and their were a couple of folks from Polk who monitored it,responded and pointed folks in the right direction, although it was usually just one point person over the years that did IME.

Right now, I don't even think the forum has an official moderator. Cassidy helps out on other things with the forum but she is by no means CS.

Tom

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    edited December 2019
    Customer service does not monitor this section any longer. A while back I asked that it be removed because of that. I also suggested changes to other sections. Perhaps these will happen one day, but until then Cassidy and Alma are doing what they can.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• BjornB17
    I was not expecting this section to be customer service. I just found it odd that I was asked to provide contact info so this issue could be rectified, and then when I provided it, was told the customer service equivalent of "new number, who dis?". Feels like I'm being clowned.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited December 2019
    BjornB17 wrote: »
    Between my post above that explained what the issue was, you asking me to send you my contact info (including e-mail associated with my customer support issues), and me sending you that info, I figured you would be able to deduce what the issue was without me having to start from the beginning again.

Your rude and clueless response to me speaks volumes regarding what the problem with Polk CS is. YOU are the problem.

This is why I hate people. God help everyone who's job it is to deal with the public. YOU are the problem.

I'm not excusing the poor experience with CS you had but is typing out your issue one more time truly that big of a deal? No, not really.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk