What happened to Derek (DSkip)?

Comments

• CoolJazz
    CoolJazz Posts: 569
    GotTheBoot wrote: »
    This is another sizeable loss for this community. Sad.

CJ (Formerly)

I am restored. Just in time to witness all the smoking, twisted leftover rubble. Argh!

CJ

PS...Thanks to the powerful getting me back in.
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    I think it's safe to say that we all agree on that. No deletion of posts, unless Polk decides said post's fate.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    la2vegas wrote: »
    Deleting of all of one's posts, especially of this magnitude is the ultimate kamikaze move.

A great wealth of discussion lost to the ether.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    edited December 2019
    Wow sorry to hear this, I cant recall a time Skip promoted his speaker line not (new) ones in a thread maybe I'm wrong but cant recall any. Sure demos and used ones yes just like many others do. Myself and a lot of other people have bought items from Skip before as a way to show appreciation to a fellow member that belongs to what I thought was a tight knit community. I wish Skip all the best and hope to visit the Audio Thesis room at Apoxona this year. Continued success is what I wish for Audio Thesis.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    I really hate seeing Skip leave. I received a lot of great advice from him on audio and taking my system to the next level. I cam respect his decision to leave, but he will be missed.
  • I see him post on Agon from time to time.
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 993
    edited December 2019
    Derek is a gentleman and an audio scholar. I will miss his insight here in this forum.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • Upstatemax wrote: »
    kharp1 wrote: »
    Those of us who stay in contact with Skip knew the end was coming. There are a couple of folks here that consistently went out of their way to attack him of late. They were instrumental in pushing things to this degree. They know who they are. I, personally, won't forget you. I applaud his decision and stand by it, as well as him.

Many of us are in contact with Skip outside of this forum, and, that won't change. Word of his gatherings will be made available, and, he's still a text, or call, away. He is passionate about the products he represents, and, his love of finding the right gear for your particular needs is still is driving passion. He's gone from here, but, not from our lives.

If you’re friends with him, I understand your desire to defend him.

But he made a childish choice for an adult decision. He went full blown “take my football and go home”.

Who cares if a few people gave have him some grief?!

It’s the internet!

I seriously doubt anyone on this forum had ANY ill intentions for Derek.

I’ve faced A LOT of criticism throughout my career, if I acted this way I would be sitting in an unemployment line. I learned early on in my career to take my criticism more seriously than my praise. It’s simply a learning opportunity.

In my view, the only one losing in this situation is Derek.

It’s a shame.

That's the problem. People think just because they have dealt with the same type of abuse that it's okay to pass it onto others.

No one here has pushed me in any form or fashion, partly due to not giving them a reason to. At the end of the day we should have friendly arguments but the berating and belittling shouldn't happen.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Here's an idea, let's all just respectfully accept Skip's decision without casting judgement or speculating on his motives and intent.
    Exactly.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Anyone ever hear of circular discussions?

This will go on endlessly with no resolution. Bad decisions were made. Bad reactions were made.

Time to end this discussion and close down this thread. Zero good will come from here on out either constructively or otherwise.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Upstatemax wrote: »
    Those of us who stay in contact with Skip knew the end was coming. There are a couple of folks here that consistently went out of their way to attack him of late. They were instrumental in pushing things to this degree. They know who they are. I, personally, won't forget you. I applaud his decision and stand by it, as well as him.

Many of us are in contact with Skip outside of this forum, and, that won't change. Word of his gatherings will be made available, and, he's still a text, or call, away. He is passionate about the products he represents, and, his love of finding the right gear for your particular needs is still is driving passion. He's gone from here, but, not from our lives.

But he made a childish choice for an adult decision. He went full blown “take my football and go home”.

It’s the internet!

I’ve faced A LOT of criticism throughout my career, if I acted this way I would be sitting in an unemployment line. I learned early on in my career to take my criticism more seriously than my praise. It’s simply a learning opportunity.

It’s a shame.

You speak with authority that of which you know nothing. The very end, after the decision was already made, was the part that was pushed by a couple of disgruntled members. The main reason that this happened was a business decision on Skips part. There was no acrimony between Skip and Polk. The decision to remove previous post, as difficult as it was, was a business decision. As most of us know his business has grown substantially over the last couple of years, having an international profile. Perhaps, some of the stuff posted years ago aren't reflective of him, or his business, now. While struggling with various business decisions, there were folks here that wanted him banned...as misguided as that was. He saw that as the right timing to make a new start. The grief giving was just the icing on the cake. The Skip I know has weathered much tougher situations. From the business perspective it was good timing. Before you start making claims and spewing shallow minded opinions try getting some facts. Such is life in the internet age.

There is NEVER a sound business choice that burns bridges.

Period.

This was emotional, not business.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    I think everyone here that knows Skip has his contact information. Friendship lasts beyond this forum.

However, I do take issue with one thing. Let me find it.

halen
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640

It’s the internet!

It’s a shame.

You speak with authority that of which you know nothing. The very end, after the decision was already made, was the part that was pushed by a couple of disgruntled members. The main reason that this happened was a business decision on Skips part. There was no acrimony between Skip and Polk. The decision to remove previous post, as difficult as it was, was a business decision. As most of us know his business has grown substantially over the last couple of years, having an international profile. Perhaps, some of the stuff posted years ago aren't reflective of him, or his business, now. While struggling with various business decisions, there were folks here that wanted him banned...as misguided as that was. He saw that as the right timing to make a new start. The grief giving was just the icing on the cake. The Skip I know has weathered much tougher situations. From the business perspective it was good timing. Before you start making claims and spewing shallow minded opinions try getting some facts. Such is life in the internet age.

There is NEVER a sound business choice that burns bridges.

Period.

This was emotional, not business.

I agree with Kerry. You literally have zero idea of what you speak. While Skip did make a choice, it was less emotionally driven than it seems. And far more business motivated than you are even remotely aware.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675
    We politely asked him to not promote other speaker brands on the forum anymore. AVRs were fine.

Obviously we cannot show the full conversation since all of his posts were deleted but below is the email reply from him we can reference.

9y7nt3nw98gp.png

Here is what I was looking for.

You have much to learn along your journey. What you did here is unprofessional.

halen
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

I agree with Kerry. You literally have zero idea of what you speak. While Skip did make a choice, it was less emotionally driven than it seems. And far more business motivated than you are even remotely aware.

I know EXACTLY of what I speak.

Like it or not he acted like a child. I won’t judge him forever for it because I’m also a human that has done the same.

But the most impactful parts of my life came when someone called me out on something similar.

There are MANY ways you can respond to feedback. He has responded in the worst possible way.

Deal with that in what ever way you choose.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    STOP
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Like it or not he acted like a child. I won’t judge him forever for it because I’m also a human that has done the same.

But the most impactful parts of my life came when someone called me out on something similar.

There are MANY ways you can respond to feedback. He has responded in the worst possible way.

Obviously you don't. None of this was driven by emotions, or, someone calling him out for anything. You don't know all the facts behind what was a long, agonizing decision for him. It was his decision and I respect that. No need to try to muck up his name or reputation because you disagree with his decision. Perhaps you could reach out to him and avail yourself of what all went in to the decision. There is no sense in calling him "out" for something you have no background info on. At least be man enough to not do that. I don't like it, but, I understand and respect it. I'll leave it at that.
  • afterburnt

I suppose you KNOW this because Skip told you so?
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    We politely asked him to not promote other speaker brands on the forum anymore. AVRs were fine.

I'm still laughing at the absurdity of the idea that Skip ever "promoted an AVR".
  • afterburnt
    Clipdat wrote: »

I'm still laughing at the absurdity of the idea that Skip ever "promoted an AVR".

I don't pay that much attention but I do KNOW that he at least "suggested" Marantz slimline AVR's.
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    afterburnt wrote: »
    I don't pay that much attention but I do KNOW that he at least "suggested" Marantz slimline AVR's.

That's OK though because it's a SoundUnited brand. o:)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Shut up dad!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
This discussion has been closed.