Tube rig finally has the right speakers!

Long story but “my” speakers finally arrived.
Blumenstein Orca’s run from a Bottlehead Stereomour. Source is Roon to a bridge into a Schiit Bifrost.

cb10oyla92pr.jpeg
Aaron
Enabler Extraordinaire

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Nice :)

but...

qehdbb47j47d.png

I... still... see... Altecs... in your future.
    big Altecs...

3fuy85oookba.png

B)
  • maxward
    maxward Posts: 1,490
    The speakers look good in bamboo. The stands tell me there are no cats in the house, or at least in the room. I like the little spice jars full of parts.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Nice looking rig! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Loos very nice Aaron! Enjoy all that tubey goodness!
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Very,very nice!
    See my profile for list of gear.
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Where are the subs? ;)
  • ALL212
    ALL212 Posts: 1,553
    I hate subs but that might end up being the winter project
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    Subs will not be your friend with that system.

Nice rig.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mhardy6647
    subs R OK.
    (i.e., I drank the sub kool-aid)

• ALL212
    Need something small...tidy. I don’t want a paint peeler. If it’ll get into the 30’s it’ll be good.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • ALL212
    maxward wrote: »
    The speakers look good in bamboo. The stands tell me there are no cats in the house, or at least in the room. I like the little spice jars full of parts.

Thanks! The jars have small capacitors of various colors from rebuilds.

No cats.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Need something small...tidy. I don’t want a paint peeler. If it’ll get into the 30’s it’ll be good.

Small like this: https://youtu.be/ew4aED-K5og

or this: https://youtu.be/--n9zgZy2Ec
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,230
    What you need is a powerful and accurate mid-bass module to enhance your sonic signature. Going straight to a sub will introduce a dip in the slope that you will never overcome or dial in. IMO/IME. FWIW. 40-45 and above...

I think I'll slide out now.

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ALL212
    Good idea! I’ve not measured these yet but they should be good to about 100 hz.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    There's always...

the Bucket Sub.

There are many variations (just as there are many buckets) -- here's a handy one.
    https://www.transcendentsound.com/bucket-sub.html

bdkboqaenax4.png
  • mhardy6647
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Shoooot Aaron get the bigin..... 18" super stroke double dipped plasticoated aluminized hexametimorphed 200000 gig a watt 7000 amp current .........

Mini

The basement needs a new coat of paint anaways....

Well... there's always... El Pipe-O, too.

B)

http://www.firstwatt.com/pdf/art_elpipeo.pdf

havtazd2x4sb.png

Just brainstorming here, @ALL212 -- there are no wrong answers.

:*
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Using a subwoofer in that tube driven system would be an affront to the tube gods. Want lower bass get bigger speakers. :)
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Emlyn wrote: »
    Using a subwoofer in that tube driven system would be an affront to the tube gods. Want lower bass get bigger speakers. :)

FWIW, the Altecs don't seem to mind that they get by with a little help from their friends.

38047648301_210f62724a_h.jpgDSC_9751 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Is this some of your handy work Mark?

• EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517

FWIW, the Altecs don't seem to mind that they get by with a little help from their friends.

IIRC he bought it from a vendor. It was a one-off prototype unit......
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ALL212
    Bajeebus!!! These things hardly weigh in at 5 lbs each!! I’m a thinking there has to be a small margin of WAF involved.

And you are correct about the tube subs. I showed that picture to the amp and it turned away in shame... :'(
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    edited December 2019

Not exactly, no... but it was/is a prototype. Not sure it ever went into production. I don't think I can disclose its precise provenance :p I will say that it has a couple of fairly beefy looking 15 inch, Italian-made DVC drivers, one in the front and one in the bottom (presumably a push-pull kind of thing). It was meant to have on-board amplification, XO and DSP, but I had to roll my own for it (well... PartsExpress did the heavy lifting, I just spent some $). It's a pretty capable piece of hardware (also a pretty beefy one) -- and the price was right B)

34211237723_eea597bcec_o.jpgDSC_8306 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

The woofer's not off-center; it's just mounted pretty deep in the cabinet.

IIRC he bought it from a vendor. It was a one-off prototype unit......

I got it from the engineer who did the amp/XO/DSP package for it -- I'm guessing he wasn't in a position to sell it, but he could, apparently, give it away. My investment was some of my son-in-law's time and effort (and mine) to lug it upstairs (it weighs about 150 lbs) and a plate amp/DSP from PE.

sorry for the diversion @ALL212 -- you know how I am :/

• Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited December 2019

I got it from the engineer who did the amp/XO/DSP package for it -- I'm guessing he wasn't in a position to sell it, but he could, apparently, give it away. My investment was some of my son-in-law's time and effort (and mine) to lug it upstairs (it weighs about 150 lbs) and a plate amp/DSP from PE.

sorry for the diversion @ALL212 -- you know how I am :/

Sweet, looks like a heck of a Sub/Subs.

• ALL212
    Stop apologizing!!! This is all good stuff.
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,308
    Ern! Leave Mark alone!
    I disabled signatures.
  • mhardy6647
    msg wrote: »
    Ern! Leave Mark alone!

Yeah, me and Britney... cut us some slack, man.
    Wait, that was like... twenty years ago now, wasn't it.

• ALL212
    Ern! Leave Mark alone!

Well... look who finally woke up! Hey Scooot!
    Aaron
    Enabler Extraordinaire
  • mhardy6647
    ALL212 wrote: »
    Ern! Leave Mark alone!

Well... look who finally woke up! Hey Scooot!

'e's a busy lad, 'e is...