You've been on Club Polk too long if...

Comments

• audioluvr
    audioluvr Posts: 5,420
    audioluvr wrote: »
    Circuit City hadn't even been invented yet when I bought my first Polk's

Circuit City had been around since 1949, though the concept of big-box didn’t happen until the 1970’s

And that is why I shouldn't be posting drunk and tired...
    Gustard X26 Pro DAC
    Belles 21A Pre modded with Mundorf Supreme caps
    B&K M200 Sonata monoblocks refreshed and upgraded
    Polk SDA 1C's modded / 1000Va Dreadnaught
    Wireworld Silver Eclipse IC's and speaker cables
    Harman Kardon T65C w/Grado Gold. (Don't laugh. It sounds great!)

There is about a 5% genetic difference between apes and men …but that difference is the difference between throwing your own poo when you are annoyed …and Einstein, Shakespeare and Miss January. by Dr. Sardonicus
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    GlennDog wrote: »
    zingo wrote: »
    46890.jpgScary bunch of dudes like this

Forensic sketch artists have hypothesized with that guy in the middle with crossed arms, sans bushy beard, is the one and only … I’ll assume that’s Russ??

Could those in-the-know, tell us who the rest of the Motley Crue is?

@ken brydson is the one in the black shirt with what looks like a peace sign on it.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    GlennDog wrote: »

Forensic sketch artists have hypothesized with that guy in the middle with crossed arms, sans bushy beard, is the one and only … I’ll assume that’s Russ??

From my foggy memory, left to right...
    KC, @kcoc321
    Cameron, @cambir
    Jake @zingo
    Jeff wudda something, can't remember his handle
    Jeff's friend
    Russ @lightman1
    Al @DangerBoy2
    Jeff @bikerboy
    Yours truly
    ?? Can't remember
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    Ken rocking a chickenfoot shirt. Stylin my man!
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    I almost asked, "Who's the guy in the Chickenfoot shirt?" when this picture was first posted. Love it!

Thanks for identifying everyone. I didn't recognize Russ, but I think that's partially because the two or three times I've been around Russ he was easily the tallest guy in the room. About 7 of those guys are over 6' tall I'd guess. You could put together a decent starting five with that group.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,638
    PSOVLSK wrote: »
    I almost asked, "Who's the guy in the Chickenfoot shirt?" when this picture was first posted. Love it!

Thanks for identifying everyone. I didn't recognize Russ, but I think that's partially because the two or three times I've been around Russ he was easily the tallest guy in the room. About 7 of those guys are over 6' tall I'd guess. You could put together a decent starting five with that group.

I feel bad for forgetting the guys name to my right. Nice dude, we talked quite a bit. Jake, Russ... Do you remember?
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,124
    PSOVLSK wrote: »

I feel bad for forgetting the guys name to my right. Nice dude, we talked quite a bit. Jake, Russ... Do you remember?

Ken it’s ok to be a tool, at least you’re a sharp tool :p
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    edited March 2019
    xschop wrote: »
    Been here too long when you think soundbars are the epitome of audio.

I have heard soundbars that perform better than my entire rig combined, using streaming MP3 as a source. It was glorious. I am now thinking about what I can do with all the cash I will have back after I liquidate my two channel setup and get one of those fancy setups with Alexa. Thank you Polk for taking my blinders off so I could see the light.

..... I think I have been here too long and drank way too much koolaide... I think I’m gonna be sick :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    xschop wrote: »
    Been here too long when you think soundbars are the epitome of audio.

I have heard soundbars that perform better than my entire rig combined, using streaming MP3 as a source. It was glorious. I am now thinking about what I can do with all the cash I will have back after I liquidate my two channel setup and get one of those fancy setups with Alexa. Thank you Polk for taking my blinders off so I could see the light.

..... I think I have been here too long and drank way too much koolaide... I think I’m gonna be sick :p

Just reading that made me barf....
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,256

I don’t remember... I think this get-together was 2010?
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    "ken wrote:
    46890.jpg]

Forensic sketch artists have hypothesized that, that guy in the middle with crossed arms, sans bushy beard, is the one and only … I’ll assume that’s Russ??

From my foggy memory, left to right...
    KC, @kcoc321
    Cameron, @cambir
    Jake @zingo
    Jeff wudda something, can't remember his handle
    Jeff's friend
    Russ @lightman1
    Al @DangerBoy2
    Jeff @bikerboy
    Yours truly
    ?? Can't remember

THANKS!
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    It must have been the shirt Glenn... :p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • "LongPathTool" is the best solution
  • You know what? It IS the best solution Joshua, thanks for confirming! :)
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I used to walk my girlfriend on a long path through the woods. She, too, agrees.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    LongPath Tool was the working title for Fear Inoculum, wasn't it?
  • Viking64
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    LongPath Tool was the working title for Fear Inoculum, wasn't it?

I used to have a girlfriend who refused to go for walks on the long path through the woods because she feared my inoculum. :o
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    edited December 2019
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited December 2019
    You know you've been here too long if you know where Darrin's remote is...can name both of the Bros. McG.....remember what speakers F1 had when he joined the forum (which he still has, btw)...why John Strong was the envy of everyone on the forum...what Aaron's REALLY embarrassing secret was.....and a ton of other things that I can't think of at the moment.

If anyone can name all of them without using the search function, I'll come up with a karma goodie to send to you. An LP or perhaps some Polk swag that I might have laying around.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • TroyD
    My money is nobody knows about Darrin's remote.....that actually predates me.

BDT
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    I was around for PFB but that's it. Ten more years and I won't be a noob anymore.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Logged in for the first time.......:)
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    TroyD wrote: »
    You know you've been here too long if you know where Darrin's remote is...can name both of the Bros. McG.....remember what speakers F1 had when he joined the forum (which he still has, btw)...why John Strong was the envy of everyone on the forum...what Aaron's REALLY embarrassing secret was.....and a ton of other things that I can't think of at the moment.

If anyone can name all of them without using the search function, I'll come up with a karma goodie to send to you. An LP or perhaps some Polk swag that I might have laying around.

BDT

The bro’s question was just answered in a recent thread FYI...as for the rest, I’ve been here since 2007 and have no clue lol...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • TroyD
    Most of the things I mention are probably pre 9/11.....

BDT
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Mike and Bob McG.

What do I win :D:p
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I remember but I ain't playin'. Don't need any goodies. I'll let someone else claim them.

Also, I still have Bob McG's Carver Amazings. Drove all the way to like 20 minutes from the Canuckistania border to get them from him. Bob bought pizza, we listened to every speaker in his house at way too loud levels and he insisted on showing us the hot rod despite not being able to go anywhere because it warmed up to a balmy 4 degrees that day. Wish we could stayed longer but we had to get back and had like an 6-7 hour drive home.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    edited December 2019
    Actually, now that I think of it, the Darrin's Remote story pre-dates the older phpBB message board from 2001. I wasn't super involved in the forum and lurked mostly, hanging around the car audio sections at the time...mostly. I just read the home audio based stuff for a couple years. But I remember when it switched and Darrin coming back saying he was confused about what php was and if anyone found his remote yet. That started a whole thread of jokes about his remote and Mr. Grand talking about how jet engines and/or bumblebees don't work on paper and the moral of that story is...don't trust paper.

Any yeah, this account says I joined in 2002 but that was because I had signed up with a different email address from Drexel prior to that, in like 1998. I no longer had access to my dunx1.ocs.drexel.edu account so I had to make a new one to be able to log in and participate. My original account was Nhoj since they wouldn't let me use John.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    DSkip wrote: »
    All I know is I’m thankful for my brothers here, new and old, and what they’ve taught me about audio all these years. I wouldn’t be where I am now without them or this forum. I’ve laughed with most and cried with many and I couldn’t imagine my life without them.

Agree! All I can say is that I haven't been on long enough! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    verb wrote: »
    DSkip wrote: »
    All I know is I’m thankful for my brothers here, new and old, and what they’ve taught me about audio all these years. I wouldn’t be where I am now without them or this forum. I’ve laughed with most and cried with many and I couldn’t imagine my life without them.

Agree! All I can say is that I haven't been on long enough! :smile:

Then how did you accumulate 8100 posts? :)
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    BlueFox wrote: »

Then how did you accumulate 8100 posts? :)
    Laughing at my comments.