Mustang - 900 HP, manual transmission

Options

Comments

• afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm all for autonomous, spending on average 4 to 6 hours a day in a car... If I could do administrative tasks while the car drove itself? That would be awesome.

From what I've seen, we are a long ways from that becoming a tangible reality

Moore's Law is a ****
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    Options
    One way I see autonomous driving working in the future is for long distance interstate travel where sensors and recharging capability can be built into a road and an electric passenger vehicle or truck can zip along in a dedicated lane much faster than possible on a normal lane and for an unlimited distance. Mainly useful for freight is my guess.

Everything will need to be standardized before people would trust their lives to that type of system and it would have to be a heavily controlled access system. Something like that is probably decades away. Can't even get a falling apart highway bridge rebuilt as it is now!
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Emlyn wrote: »
    One way I see autonomous driving working in the future is for long distance interstate travel where sensors and recharging capability can be built into a road and an electric passenger vehicle or truck can zip along in a dedicated lane much faster than possible on a normal lane and for an unlimited distance. Mainly useful for freight is my guess.

Everything will need to be standardized before people would trust their lives to that type of system and it would have to be a heavily controlled access system. Something like that is probably decades away. Can't even get a falling apart highway bridge rebuilt as it is now!

You already trust your life to the idiot in the lane next to you.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    edited November 2019
    Options
    ...An electric Mustang sounds ridiculous...
    More ridiculous than a Porsche? Some of the reporting about the Taycan seems really impressive!

MotorTrend Review of the Porsche Taycan
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited November 2019
    Options
    LMAO.....the George Jetson life your all aspiring to isn't going to happen anytime soon. We'll destroy ourselves back to the stone age before any of that becomes reality.

Just like the digital cash register took away the ability to do math, self driving cars will remove your ability to control a car under a wide variety of conditions. You basically remove the experience part from operating a motor vehicle. That's like the difference between a new driver and an experienced one.....and we all know that's a huge gap.

Doc, the advantage isn't reaction time. Just recently a Tesla hit a pedestrian because the reaction time was too slow between the point it actually recognized the object as one. Hard to account for every thing that can go wrong while driving, like people moving out behind parked cars, animals, kids that can jump out in front of you. Roads that may not be on any map/GPS, curbs/poles/boulders that may be in the way. Other vehicles that don't obey laws. It's endless, the things that can go wrong while driving and to let a sensor dictate the outcome puts lives in danger.

A while ago when Halen was in town, I was parking and he noticed I didn't use my back up camera, didn't even look at it. The camera only gives you a certain angle view, it can't account for a 360 view and depth perception. Again, it was experience that removed the need for the backup camera. You let technology remove the experience part, you'd be opening a can of worms.

There's a reason planes still have Pilots. We have the tech to fly planes and land them without humans, but too many variables require a pilot with experience to control the plane.

Cruise control- never used it from the day it came out. To me, it's a false sense of security. It's my life, and I want control over it when split seconds count. In the end, the responsibility and liability resides with the operator, do you really want to surrender that to a couple sensors ? Not me.

Also, the more vehicles become computerized, the more they become hackable. We already can do that, it's been demonstrated on cars already.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • afterburnt
    Options
    Like 79 perecent of air fatalities are caused by pilot error
  • afterburnt
    Options
    I think that we will see self driving cars a lot sooner than a lot of you seem to think and when they do hit the road driver operated cars will disappear faster than typewriters
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    The reality is "back up" cameras were installed for one reason. To make sure you were not running over a kid on his/her big wheel or playing right behind the car. Yes they are now used for other things and folks use them for unintended purposes. I do not even look at them when I'm in a vehicle that has one. I made it 50+ years parking and driving without one.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,453
    Options
    ^^^^ Your old :)
    Randy/Maine
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    boston1450 wrote: »
    ^^^^ Your old :)

*you're
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Options
    Backup cameras are useful if you're pulling a trailer.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,557
    Options
    I don't always trust tech because I've been involved with it my whole life.
    It's not MAGIC. They would have to do a whole lot of redundancy in
    sensing and controlling the car. A simple mechanical failure and you're
    in trouble. And car maintenance would get very complicated very fast.
    Half the mechanics out there can't maintain current tech. Add this and
    90% of the current guys would suddenly become dinosaurs.
    I don't even trust most places to change my oil.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    Options
    If a computer can make a F-117 fly then it can drive a car and that's 1970's technology
  • tonyb
    Options
    pitdogg2 wrote: »
    The reality is "back up" cameras were installed for one reason. To make sure you were not running over a kid on his/her big wheel or playing right behind the car. Yes they are now used for other things and folks use them for unintended purposes. I do not even look at them when I'm in a vehicle that has one. I made it 50+ years parking and driving without one.

Yep, I believe that's correct. However people become dependent on them and forget about watching other things outside the camera view. Nor can they judge distance by the camera alone. Then when a fender bender happens, they do what ? Blame the camera. You surrendered your responsibility to that camera and forgot how to use your peripheral vision.

I ask the youngsters in my family, if they know North-east-west-south. They tell me they don't have to because they can just ask google. Great....and if your battery dies or you can't get a signal, then what ? Ummm…..well....uhh. Yeah, thought so.

Driving any vehicle is a responsibility and a liability. Who's better at controlling those 2 things, you or a software program ? Can't speak for everyone, but when it comes to my life and my money, I want control over it....not hand it off to a computer.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,871
    Options
    I heard on the radio this morning something regarding Harley has come out with an ebike or something like that
  • afterburnt
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »

Yep, I believe that's correct. However people become dependent on them and forget about watching other things outside the camera view. Nor can they judge distance by the camera alone. Then when a fender bender happens, they do what ? Blame the camera. You surrendered your responsibility to that camera and forgot how to use your peripheral vision.

I ask the youngsters in my family, if they know North-east-west-south. They tell me they don't have to because they can just ask google. Great....and if your battery dies or you can't get a signal, then what ? Ummm…..well....uhh. Yeah, thought so.

Driving any vehicle is a responsibility and a liability. Who's better at controlling those 2 things, you or a software program ? Can't speak for everyone, but when it comes to my life and my money, I want control over it....not hand it off to a computer.

pv2fxo2kp2yt.jpg
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Just caught up on this thread. Spirited debate, and cordial, love it! :smile:

I do believe the Mustang mod, yes it's cool, but it's out there and other modded high performance vehicles, for the sole reason of changing the public's perception of electrification of cars! And of course to get some free advertising! Well not really free, as I'm sure each one of those vehicles cost a ton of money to modify.

Heck, all the pioneers of new tech use drama and over the top advertising to get the public attention.

I recall recently that a Tesla was launched into space! Barnum & Bailey? Sure, but it got a lot of attention! Even I (sucker), posted the livestream video thread in this forum!

I wasn't around at the time (saw it on a video :smile: ) of the battle between Tesla and Edison on the Direct Current vs. Alternating Current competition. We all know who one that one! But that poor elephant!

Yep I believe electrification is inevitable. Heck my company is deep into it! Most likely it will transform the commercial transportation industry, along with autonomous, that have relatively prescribed routes with a lot of steady state driving conditions.

Autonomous, sure, but not as quickly as electrification. Lot's of competition, technologies, infrastructure development, public trust, you name it, but it's coming. Again, we'll most likely see it in the commercial transportation industry.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Options

I never see kids ridding Big Wheels anymore, for that matter I never see kids playing outside.
  • pitdogg2
    Options
    If a computer can make a F-117 fly then it can drive a car and that's 1970's technology

well when you're flying at about 60,000 ft there is a just a smidgen more time for ummm I dunno REACTION
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited November 2019
    Options
    High tech back in the day?, these curb feelers get my vote for style! :smile:
    u8rbuk1p3l0k.png
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • afterburnt
    Options

well when you're flying at about 60,000 ft there is a just a smidgen more time for ummm I dunno REACTION

No, the thing is humanly impossible to fly, if the computers failed it would just tumble out of control. Furthermore I doubt flys it's missions at 60,000 feet and it does get pretty close to the ground on takeoff and landing.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options

... not if something is coming at you at Mach 1.
  • sucks2beme
    Options
    The human in a fighter plane is enhanced by electronics.
    The tech we are looking at is the human thumbing through
    facebook while the car is doing it's thing.
    That fighter jet gets a ton of ground maintenance and
    diags run all the time. The car will not get much of anything until it fails.
    How many people know what to do when the dashlight comes on now?
    The man behind the wheel(if there is still a wheel) will have to snap too
    pretty quickly. The cost of this to buy and maintain will put most
    people on a bus, which is likely what those in charge really want.
    Or no cars at all, which is also likely.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • afterburnt
    Options
    sucks2beme wrote: »

How often do you send your smartphone in for maintenance?
  • pitdogg2
    Options

No, the thing is humanly impossible to fly, if the computers failed it would just tumble out of control. Furthermore I doubt flys it's missions at 60,000 feet and it does get pretty close to the ground on takeoff and landing.

yea I know Bruce, it's a wobbly goblin for sure.
  • sucks2beme
    Options

I used to work in factory automation maintenance. I understand what's
    Involved with a car driving it's self. A lot of sensors and controlled devices
    And a lot of upkeep. I also was in USMC in air support. So yes, all the stuff
    On the runway gets touched a lot. Your smartphone isn't a good reference
    point for how this works. I see a whole lot of alternate transportation
    Taking over before this wet dream.
  • afterburnt
    Options

What was the vintage and nature of the equipment that you worked on?
  • krazypolk
    Options
    This always boils my blood. How dare someone parade around town on an American car in America with a mexican flag.
    verb wrote: »
    High tech back in the day?, these curb feelers get my vote for style! :smile:
    u8rbuk1p3l0k.png

• sucks2beme
    Options

What was the vintage and nature of the equipment that you worked on?
    Many decades ago. The computer part of this isn't an issue.
    That has gone forward leaps and bounds. I'm going to give an example
    The Lexus cruise control rangefinder. A small rock chip and it's toast.
    $1500 to fix. The stuff needed to automate and control a car are
    a lot more complex and subject to simple mechanical failure.
    A little ice buildup in the wrong place and it's going to become
    an accident or a $$$$ repair.

• tonyb
    Options

Maybe the better question is, how often does your smart phone not do what it's suppose to do ? How often is the response time slower than others ? Disconnects from poor signals ?

None of that matters though in the real world, no harm no foul when it happens. A vehicle, be it on the ground or in the air, would matter greatly because lives would be at stake. Nobody is going to die if your smart phone hiccups.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's