Media room pictures finished

rodneyat
rodneyat Posts: 67
edited April 2002 in Technical/Setup
...Well as finished as it gets for now.
http://home.earthlink.net/~rodney_turner/theater.htm
They should be up in the System Showcase in the next couple of days as well.
You will see that I did end up putting the FX500i up near the crossbeam. It really seems to be working out OK. It is hard to see in the pictures but I think there is enough room between the speaker and the crossbeam that it is not blocking too much of the sound. I still need to do a little tweaking on the balance but overall it is good now. I need to do a little cable "dressing" as well...All in due time!

Rodney
Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
Post edited by rodneyat on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Nice room, I bet all those curtains/drapes help out a ton...

Only thing I would be curious about, is if you brought the front soundstage out even further, maybe even use a stand to put the center right under and in front of the screen. I'm just curious, since the vibra-pod center post...how much that thing jacks with the tv vibration-wise.....

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited April 2002
    Very nice Rodney, very clean set up, but damn that wave rack. Can't look at it, makes me dizzy.

You should consider building a Sonosub for that room and really shake it.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • rodneyat
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Nice room, I bet all those curtains/drapes help out a ton...

Cheers,
    Russ

The drapes do help with the sound a lot...but it did set back the budget a bit...OK a lot!
    Originally posted by Ron-P
    Very nice Rodney, very clean set up, but damn that wave rack. Can't look at it, makes me dizzy.

You should consider building a Sonosub for that room and really shake it.

I would agree with you Ron, the sub is probably the weakest link at this point. Hopefully this summer I can get another bonus or two and put that in the works!

Rodney
    Polk RT 800i mains, CS 400i center, FX 500i surrounds, RT 35i rear centers, Definitive Supercube II, Yamaha RX-V3800, Samsung PN58C8000
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    I noticed you hvae a lot of windows ..do you get a lot of glare? I have that problem and am looking at some Hunter Douglas blinds that are suppose to stop 95 percent of any light from coming in..room looks great though!
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    If you want to do away with glare, remove the glare screen.

I have a window behind my seating, directly opposite my RPTV. When my set was ISF'd, part of that was removing the glare screen. I can now watch movies with no glare or reflection on the screen at all.

I still have my drapes up, but for those that have no drapes or an overly bright room, remove the glare screen.

If...
  • rodneyat
    edited April 2002
    I too will probably have the glare screen removed when I get my RPTV calibrated. I have a double wammy because the pictures that are on the back wall reflect the image from the TV screen back into the TV screen. So, sometimes I can see the reflection of the TV from the back wall! This is usually only a problem during the daytime. At night, lights dim with shades down and curtains drawn it is great. When we first moved in, the walls were white and we painted them a light grey. After watching a few movies, we quickly decided that a darker color was needed and went to the burgandy that is in their now. It does bring a bit of a more "refined" look to the room as well. That's the part that keeps my wife happy! :D
  • jmt_76
    jmt_76 Posts: 11
    edited April 2002
    Just one question, who painted your walls? I have tried to paint RED before and it is a pain in the butt.

That room looks great! Good Job!
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Two coats, if not three and you'll be good to go. One coat of paint will never do.

If...
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by Billm57
    I noticed you hvae a lot of windows ..do you get a lot of glare? I have that problem and am looking at some Hunter Douglas blinds that are suppose to stop 95 percent of any light from coming in..room looks great though!

I have the Hunter Douglas "Privacy" blinds. They do stop most of the light, but I still need to use curtain liner behind the blinds. It is a vinyl fabric available from most fabric stores.
    Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Ron-P
    edited April 2002
    Yes, vinyl fabric is available in bulk at most all fabric stores.

Peace out~:D
    If...
  • rodneyat
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by jmt_76
    Just one question, who painted your walls? I have tried to paint RED before and it is a pain in the butt.

That room looks great! Good Job!

Like Ron said, it takes two coats at a minimum. I was able to get away with two coats but I also had two coats of light grey paint under that and it had only been on the walls a couple of months. Otherwise, it would have probably taken 3 coats. You also want to use a satin or semi-gloss paint. If you flat, it goes on so thin that it is hard to get it to cover well. The downside is that it is harder to get satin and semigloss to cover w/out roller or brush line...especially semi-gloss.

BTW: In the last couple of houses I have owned, I have used the WalMart Colorplace 15 year interior paint and have been very pleased with it. I painted during the summers in college and used a lot of big name paints and this will hold its own against those and at $11 or $12 a gallon, you can't beat it.

For this room we actually could not find a color at WalMart that we like but we did find a Ralph Lauren Color at Home Depot that we really liked. So, we took the color sample from Home Depot to WalMart and they matched the color perfectly and we did not have to pay almost $30 a gallon to get it!

Sorry for the long off topic post!
  • mjk91383
    mjk91383 Posts: 298
    edited April 2002
    Seeing as how you've got some posters up in there, much like I do, I was interested in where you bought your frames and what kind they are.

I bought some cheap $20 frames at Suncoast and they're falling apart (after just 3 months). I've considered purchasing some from ShowOffDisplays.com, but I would like to hear some comments about their frames from people who use them.

...great looking theater!

joe :D

BTW, where in Georgia are you located? I'm just outside Atlanta.
  • rodneyat
    edited April 2002
    Well, the frames that were standard 24X36 size came from Target (about $17 each) and they have been holding up very well. I do have a few "true" movie poster that are 27X40(size?) These I built myself from kits. You can buy the metals sides from most arts and crafts stores and then I purchased foam mounting board and had glass cut and put it all together myself. It is not real cheap to do it but still a lot cheaper than a custom frame job. I think it ran me about $50 each for the 27X40 ones. That is about half of what I saw any others that size. If you have 27X40 posters your options are pretty limited as far as framing goes. That is why I searched around to find movie posters that were more standard sized like 24X36. You can find those frames just about anywhere. Sometime you may find an oddball poster that is 25X37 or something like that but you can usually trim it down to 24X36 very easily.

BTW: I am in Roswell
  • Billm57
    Billm57 Posts: 689
    edited April 2002
    Originally posted by mjk91383
    Seeing as how you've got some posters up in there, much like I do, I was interested in where you bought your frames and what kind they are.

I bought some cheap $20 frames at Suncoast and they're falling apart (after just 3 months). I've considered purchasing some from ShowOffDisplays.com, but I would like to hear some comments about their frames from people who use them.

...great looking theater!

joe :D

BTW, where in Georgia are you located? I'm just outside Atlanta.
    I go through a place called Graphic Dimensions..they have a website as well..any frame inmaginable..comes withe all the mounting hardware..I usually go to the local ACE and get glas or plexiglass cut to size
  • mantis
    mantis Posts: 17,032
    edited April 2002
    Nice looking room you got there, I love the color of the walls.Leather????my favorite,and the movie poster's...nice touch.How does your room sound???
    the waverack is funky...but nice as well.
    Dan
    My personal quest is to save to world of bad audio, one thread at a time.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2002
    Probably doesn't sound very good, eh Mantis? Seeing how its not THX certified gear...... ;)

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited April 2002
    i have a bdark red wall and i had to paint it 3 times and do alot of spackleing on it when you do dark the little things just stand out i got the cheap 20buck movie poster fraims for my posters i am thinking of taking the sides off and replaceing them with good ones they have them cheap plastic push on sides
  • rodneyat
    edited April 2002
    If you have 24X36 posters definitely get the frames from Target, they are wood and look decent. I hate the push-on plastic ones too...They look so cheesy.

Rodney
  • OrangeToupee
    OrangeToupee Posts: 488
    edited April 2002
    That is the coolest, Rodney, I love everything about it.