Mustang - 900 HP, manual transmission

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556

Put the battery in the front and a motor/transaxle in the back
    Then build a trunk over the front battery and remove the hump in the floor.
    More trunk storage, more interior room, and you can make a stang
    Eco friendly and fast. You wouldn't need 900hp either.
    You could sell it for a bit more than the v8 in today's car and
    Turn the market upside down. There's a real goal for Ford in
    The 21st century. If you can't give us flying cars, at least make us
    Feel like we're flying.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I like the "one motor per wheel" AWD approach, personally.
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    I'm glad I bought a bat poo crazy supercharged pickup truck when I had the chance.

I don't have to worry about absurdity like this.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited November 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Tesla definitely got the better launch the second time, but that Demon was catching it fast....lol

For sure. I wonder what the electric Mustang (sounds weird to say out loud) will do with actual gears? If they can match the power/output of the P100D they could end up with the faster car, it won't run out of steam the faster it goes.

P100D Dyno. Totally crashes the faster the motor spins, which is why the Demon catches the back 1/2 so strong.

P100D-Dyno-Chart.jpg

Now imagine you can shift gears and go back to the beginning of that dyno graph part way down the track.

That will have to be one heck of a clutch pack to hold that TQ and last 100K miles. And if it has a motor at each wheel how would that work?
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Solution: Stay home.
  • afterburnt
    afterburnt Posts: 7,892
    CH46E wrote: »
    Nightfall wrote: »
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Tesla definitely got the better launch the second time, but that Demon was catching it fast....lol

For sure. I wonder what the electric Mustang (sounds weird to say out loud) will do with actual gears? If they can match the power/output of the P100D they could end up with the faster car, it won't run out of steam the faster it goes.

P100D Dyno. Totally crashes the faster the motor spins, which is why the Demon catches the back 1/2 so strong.

P100D-Dyno-Chart.jpg

Now imagine you can shift gears and go back to the beginning of that dyno graph part way down the track.

That will have to be one heck of a clutch pack to hold that TQ and last 100K miles. And if it has a motor at each wheel how would that work?

Computer controlled VFD's
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Polkitup2 wrote: »
    The people who can buy big boats, expensive cars, fancy audio gear and a lot of other stuff I can't afford I view as keeping designers, engineers, and factory workers employed. The technology eventually trickles down to stuff I can afford. Everyone benefits.

Thank you! Keep the Mrs and I employed! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    I'm certainly an old school guy when it comes to toys. Heck my 59 Chevy, and 2 Harley's still have carburetors in em. SSR is fuel injected.

But the world's a changing for sure. All the automotive companies (including mine) are going like crazy to get electric vehicles out there. Lot's of competition. In the end, the better products will win, just like in the early days of the gasoline powered vehicles.

Even Harley has an electric bike! Who would have predicted that just a few short years ago?

Are electrics for me? Daily commuter, possibly. Fun toy? We'll just have to wait and see!

All good, as it certainly keep my industry busy! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    When they can recharge a car in 90 seconds, I'm all ears.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Electric motors connected to the wheels are the future, fact. How power gets to the motors, irrelevant. However, there will always be an industry for ‘hobbyists’ whole will always want a combustion engine. That market will always be here. I believe we will have electric daily commutes then ‘combustion engine designation’ roads for the hobbyists.
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • Also another future concept....we will educate our children to manage their times better and be sustainable in their daily lives. Part of that is to use transportation wisely. There’s only 2 ways to reduce traffic congestion. Manage usage better (time), and put automated traffic on the roads and take away the ‘human’ driving and making emotional descisions.
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,556
    Sorry, auto driving autos will NOT work. Any little hiccup will end in a pile up of epic size. They work using sensors. Those sensors stop working correctly, you're in
    trouble fast. A good rain or snow storm, forget it. Not to mention any mechanical failure. The liability is on you. This has already happened to a driver letting it self drive. It failed and the driver of course was otherwise engaged.
    Lawyers are going to have a field day with this stuff.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    Also another future concept....we will educate our children to manage their times better and be sustainable in their daily lives. Part of that is to use transportation wisely. There’s only 2 ways to reduce traffic congestion. Manage usage better (time), and put automated traffic on the roads and take away the ‘human’ driving and making emotional descisions.

Huh ? What ??

Didn't have your coffee yet because your brain isn't operating correctly. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Sorry, auto driving autos will NOT work. Any little hiccup will end in a pile up of epic size. They work using sensors. Those sensors stop working correctly, you're in
    trouble fast. A good rain or snow storm, forget it. Not to mention any mechanical failure. The liability is on you. This has already happened to a driver letting it self drive. It failed and the driver of course was otherwise engaged.

Last month Bridget and I went to a wedding in Estes Park CO. We flew into Denver, stayed a night in downtown Denver and drove to Estes Park. The Hyundai Santa Fe the rental company gave us had some kind of lane assist. The car thinks you are going out of your line and tries to put you back into line. After driving through some winding mountain roads I almost got into an accident because the car was fighting me on a turn! I thought it was a fluke but it happened again. Nothing like taking a hairpin turn at 8000 feet elevation with no guard rail and the car is fighting you on a turn. We found a place to pull off and disabled all of it. That scared the heck out of me enough to loose complete faith and auto driving cars.
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • shawn474
    shawn474 Posts: 3,047
    I commute 90-120 minutes twice a day (while traveling 42 miles each way) - I spend the majority of my life working, sleeping and driving. I always said when given the opportunity I would drive something comfortable that I LIKED driving. I am a pickup truck kind of guy and have a 2019 tundra. Word on the street is they’re coming out with a hybrid (and possibly all electric) tundra in the next few years. The torque possibilities for pick ups and towing capacity are huge upsides to electric / hybrid - but the batteries will cut into actual payload I suspect. Either way, once they can increase mileage in excess of 300 miles per charge I would consider it. Until then, not sure I am in the market.
    Shawn
    AVR: Marantz SR-5011
    Center Channel: Polk LsiM706c
    Front: Polk LsiM703
    Rear: LSI fx
    Subwoofer: SVS 20-39pci
    Television: Samsung UN58NU7100FXZA
    DVD Player: Sony PS4
  • verb
    edited November 2019
    @erniejade Ah the lane keep assist technology Brian! Yep it gives you a warning, optical or haptic, and even provides steering intervention if the algorithm thinks you're in trouble!

Takes a bit getting used to for sure! I like to take the turns on the inside so this thing is constantly going off as I cross the line! It is switchable on/off though!

My vehicle that I'm currently driving has adaptive cruise control. Keeps a constant following distance no matter what the speed is set at. Will even emergency brake if, again, the algorithm thinks you're about to rear end somebody! Yep takes a bit getting used to.

Even back up safety protection. The vehicle will alert me while backing up if there is cross traffic or pedestrians that I cannot see.

Oh yeah, automatic parallel parking! Haven't tried that one yet! :smile:

There is a bunch of other technologies out there! All a little different, quirky you may say. Different companies do things, well, a little differently. They can be annoying at times, as you found out Brian the vehicle wanted to do one thing, while the driver (you) wanted to do something else!

But the end game is autonomous, IMO. Are we there yet? Or even close? We're getting there! All these little bits and pieces of technology being introduced are opportunities for companies to learn and refine them. And eventually integrate them into a complete autonomous package.

The race is on!

• DaveHo
    DaveHo Posts: 3,471
    All the while enabling the average driver to become bigger morons than they already are.
  • verb
    DaveHo wrote: »
    All the while enabling the average driver to become bigger morons than they already are.

Lol perhaps! Morons will be morons for sure! Will all this tech help keep others safe while the morons have control? Probably.

Taking the keys away from the morons, probably a good thing! :smile:
  • afterburnt
    Also another future concept....we will educate our children to manage their times better and be sustainable in their daily lives. Part of that is to use transportation wisely. There’s only 2 ways to reduce traffic congestion. Manage usage better (time), and put automated traffic on the roads and take away the ‘human’ driving and making emotional descisions.

So you advocate continuing to educate our chidren into imbecility?
  • afterburnt
    erniejade wrote: »
    sucks2beme wrote: »

Last month Bridget and I went to a wedding in Estes Park CO. We flew into Denver, stayed a night in downtown Denver and drove to Estes Park. The Hyundai Santa Fe the rental company gave us had some kind of lane assist. The car thinks you are going out of your line and tries to put you back into line. After driving through some winding mountain roads I almost got into an accident because the car was fighting me on a turn! I thought it was a fluke but it happened again. Nothing like taking a hairpin turn at 8000 feet elevation with no guard rail and the car is fighting you on a turn. We found a place to pull off and disabled all of it. That scared the heck out of me enough to loose complete faith and auto driving cars.

"No one will ever need more than 640kb"
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    erniejade wrote: »
    ... The Hyundai Santa Fe the rental company gave us had some kind of lane assist. The car thinks you are going out of your line and tries to put you back into line. After driving through some winding mountain roads I almost got into an accident because the car was fighting me on a turn! [...] That scared the heck out of me enough to loose complete faith and auto driving cars.
    I had a similar experience earlier this year in Denver heading up to Winter Park in a rented Subaru something or other. The adaptive cruise control on that vehicle was terrible. There were ways to adjust the distance it would try to maintain with the car in front. Initially, it would frequently get too close to the car in front (under two seconds) and then brake abruptly at the last minute. I tried adjusting it to be more conservative, so that it wouldn’t get so close, but then other vehicles would cut in, and it would brake even more abruptly to reestablish the expected distance. I hated it and turned it off.

But there are plenty of cars on the road today with adaptive cruise control, and they all work differently. Mercedes-Benz first offered it twenty years ago! I’ve driven a rented Renault Talisman in Europe a couple of years ago, and that was much better than the Subaru, and was good enough that I didn’t turn that one off (it helped that it also had a heads up display).

In any case, none of these, including Teslas, are better than Level 2 autonomous, so they really only provided advanced cruise control. The 2018 Audi A8 is the first Level 3 production car you can buy, and it can drive autonomously with no hands required on the wheel in Europe at speeds of up to 40 mph. It is intended for stop and go traffic, which is where I would find autonomous driving most useful. Regulations in the U.S. reportedly proved too complex to navigate, however, so the feature is disabled here. I would expect the updated S-Class and 7 series from BMW to at least match the Audi with Level 3 in Europe. We won’t get fully autonomous vehicles beyond the capabilities of the A8 until we reach Level 4 or 5.
    Alea jacta est!
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    I am no fan of technology (any more*), but 'autonomous' vehicles have one huge advantage over human drivers -- reaction time.

Humans are hardwired for a reaction time of about 0.1 second.
    Easy to do an order of magnitude better (or even more) with eee-lectronics.
    * I was a fairly significant member of a small but highly visible "technology strategy" group in a terrifying large pharmaceutical company for a few years late in my RFT career. I've had a lifetime's worth of 'innovation' :p

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Autonomous cars will not happen for one simple reason. Every city (county?) rely on traffic tickets as a source of income. It's huge business, cops are first and foremost revenue generators. If that stopped because every car on the road 100% followed every law where would that money come from?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • mhardy6647
    Oh, the po' will develop a new revenue model -- although I'll admit that thought is too terrifying for me to cogitate upon sober. :o
  • afterburnt
    In the future everyone will be wearing black pajamas and riding bikes
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,481

Why not blue and riding trikes???
  • mhardy6647
    edited November 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Why not blue and riding trikes???

heretic!

f17bronjjh9d.png
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    edited November 2019
    We have tricycles at our project site, it’s too far to walk....
    Also, autonomous will happen. There is no avoidance of progress and inevitability.
    Our children are being taught to be sustainable and avoid unnecessary energy wastage. This is a function of time management (planning). We (humans) are advancing quicker than our opinions and values can handle.
    An electric Mustang sounds ridiculous, but it’s an attempt to bridge the gap of acceptance of electric vehicles and how it will change society. Raymond Kurzweil is predicting our futures quite accurately. We will live longer, artificial intelligence will become self aware, and humanities’ real future is off-world.
    I would like step up the staircase onto the rocketship heading to the stars!!
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • And, ‘nobody expects the Spanish inquisition’
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,970
    I'm all for autonomous, spending on average 4 to 6 hours a day in a car... If I could do administrative tasks while the car drove itself? That would be awesome.

From what I've seen, we are a long ways from that becoming a tangible reality
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.