Using REW to measure SDA SRS 1.2

Options
Hi all!

New to this, so please bear with!

Just picked up some near mint SDA SRS 1.2s. Appear to be all original. Did a few measurements with REW using a calibrated mic - getting some weird results. I measured a single speaker, bi-amped, with the interconnect disconnected. Am I doing something wrong?0aqmtipnb0r2.jpg

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    Yes, everything.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Options
    Hey @dubseven welcome! Not familar with REW, but perhaps some folks here are. Hopefully they will be able to help.

First and foremost, post some pics and tell us about your setup. Speaker positioning for those babies is critical, as well as the listening position. Components are important too, as you'll need some power to drive those babies!

Not sure why your interconnect cable is disconnected, as that is key for the SDA's to work properly.

And bi-amping. Lot's of debate on that here. I suggest you start small, don't bi-amp for now. Just hook up one amp for both speakers, and go from there.

Welcome!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Don't be discouraged by F1Nut's reply. He is rude to everyone "new" on this forum (<5-10 years).

I agree with Verb that you need to find/ make the interconnect cable and not biamping till you get everything set up first.

Where did you set up the mic when you tested the speaker? While the drivers all look the same the crossover is complicated and many of them play at different ranges, phase , and volume. Same for the tweeters IIRC one is out of phase and the other 3 play with slightly different crossover points and volume. So you can't have the mic closer to one driver than the other. Back the mic off to your listening and play around with height.

Not sure why you are seeing the big hump at 60 HZ. Do you have a 60 cycle hum in your system?

• F1nut
    Options
    Nothing rude about my answer, he's doing everything wrong. End of story.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Yes, everything.

A little wordy for a response from Jesse...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yep.

President of Club Polk

• delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Options
    Just because he didn't have the interconnect cable hooked up? Is that "everything"?

You can bi-amp SRS 1.2s so that shouldn't be the problem.
  • dubseven
    Options
    Yes, everything.

Any chance you'd help point me in the right direction?
    verb wrote: »
    Hey @dubseven welcome! Not familar with REW, but perhaps some folks here are. Hopefully they will be able to help.

First and foremost, post some pics and tell us about your setup. Speaker positioning for those babies is critical, as well as the listening position. Components are important too, as you'll need some power to drive those babies!

Not sure why your interconnect cable is disconnected, as that is key for the SDA's to work properly.

And bi-amping. Lot's of debate on that here. I suggest you start small, don't bi-amp for now. Just hook up one amp for both speakers, and go from there.

Welcome!

Hey thanks! SDA SRS 1.2, two Ashly FTX2000 amps, DriveRack to split the signal for now until I can get a better setup.

I have the interconnect cable, but was trying to measure a single speaker - perhaps this was the wrong approach? Do I need to measure them together?
    delkal wrote: »
    Don't be discouraged by F1Nut's reply. He is rude to everyone "new" on this forum (<5-10 years).

I agree with Verb that you need to find/ make the interconnect cable and not biamping till you get everything set up first.

Where did you set up the mic when you tested the speaker? While the drivers all look the same the crossover is complicated and many of them play at different ranges, phase , and volume. Same for the tweeters IIRC one is out of phase and the other 3 play with slightly different crossover points and volume. So you can't have the mic closer to one driver than the other. Back the mic off to your listening and play around with height.

Not sure why you are seeing the big hump at 60 HZ. Do you have a 60 cycle hum in your system?

I set it about 3-4 feet from the speaker, about half way up. I do have the interconect, should I be measuring both speakers at the same time? I don't recall any 60 cycle hum.
  • dubseven
    Options
    Another note - with the interconnect cable hooked up, something just doesn't sound right with the speakers. Which is what prompted me to measure them and see what was up. Feels like there is a big hole in the mid range, and the highs are super weak.
  • F1nut
    Options
    First issue, you're using pro gear, which has no business in home audio. These speakers should be driven with high quality electronics and the amp has to be common ground.

Testing one speaker as you are doing is pointless, especially with SDA's. The SDA drivers when driven in stereo play at half the volume of the stereo drivers. Without the cable connected the SDA drivers will only play below 150Hz.

You are not bi-amping unless you use active crossovers.
    Feels like there is a big hole in the mid range, and the highs are super weak.

Ok, the speakers have issues, which could be a multitude of reasons. Go to VR3's site and download the SDA troubleshooting guide. Lack of treble could indicate bad tweeters. You'll need to pull each one to test. Push in each mid-driver to see that they move. If not the magnet has shifted and locked the voice coil.

President of Club Polk

• dubseven
    Options
    First issue, you're using pro gear, which has no business in home audio. These speakers should be driven with high quality electronics and the amp has to be common ground.

Testing one speaker as you are doing is pointless, especially with SDA's. The SDA drivers when driven in stereo play at half the volume of the stereo drivers. Without the cable connected the SDA drivers will only play below 150Hz.

You are not bi-amping unless you use active crossovers.
    Feels like there is a big hole in the mid range, and the highs are super weak.

Ok, the speakers have issues, which could be a multitude of reasons. Go to VR3's site and download the SDA troubleshooting guide. Lack of treble could indicate bad tweeters. You'll need to pull each one to test. Push in each mid-driver to see that they move. If not the magnet has shifted and locked the voice coil.

The manual specifically states how to bi-amp - is this not correct?

Mid range drivers feel fine, will check tweeters! Thanks!
  • F1nut
    Options
    Yes, it shows two ways to bi-amp, the only one that is true bi-amping is the one with the active crossover.

Forget about that right now, get a high quality home audio stereo amplifier and pre amp after you figure out what's wrong with the speakers.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    May also have a bad poly switch
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • F1nut
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    May also have a bad poly switch

In that case all he'd hear is mud.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,041
    Options
    Kind of sounds like that is what he is hearing

"Feels like there is a big hole in the mid range, and the highs are super weak"

Sounds muddy to me
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • ptrooper
    ptrooper Posts: 501
    Options
    Don't fire truck around with them,bomb them out and listen to them until your deaf because they will out live you!. >:)
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    edited November 2019
    Options
    verb wrote: »

Welcome!

I would assume to measure frequency response of one speaker specifically, he is running just one without the cable, to avoid any measuring issues or artifacts.

• dubseven
    Options
    K_M wrote: »
    I would assume to measure frequency response of one speaker specifically, he is running just one without the cable, to avoid any measuring issues or artifacts.

Yeah, that was the idea, albeit likely incorrect
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    The problem with that is you have to a stereo pair to get both speakers to function correctly. Trying to measure just one speaker renders 4 of the mid-woofers inoperable, causing the passive to not function correctly and the non working drivers to also function passively.

Your measurements will be all over the place.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dubseven
    Options
    Two things. The third tweeter from the top on both speakers appear to be dead - coincidence, or would something else cause both to be inop?

Second, new sweep with both speakers and interconnect hooked up, mic placed inbetween speakers about 8ft back.li9oqpda5dto.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,579
    Options
    tweeters are progressive point source top full hot then get quieter going to the bottom.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited November 2019
    Options
    1) where's the mic relative to the loudspeakers?
    2) what's the room like as an environment (e.g., size, shape, floor covering, windows? drapes? wall hangings? 'sound treatment'?)

A diagram may be the best way to address 1)
  • dubseven
    Options
    Switched to single amp, re-measured. The 3rd tweeter definitely848y7f2lhjnz.jpg
    dead in both.
  • ptrooper
    Options
    swap the tweeters around to see if its the resistor!
  • dubseven
    Options
    ptrooper wrote: »
    swap the tweeters around to see if its the resistor!

Just pulled one out and checked resistance, its an open loop.
  • ptrooper
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Replace the tweeters to rdo 198's if the speakers are definitely 1.2 TL's(check rear serial number area) ,these will replace the sl3000 which are a silver looking dome version.The sl2000 "white with black cloth looking ctr"are replaced by the rdo 194's.If your speakers are not 1.2 "tl's" , i would think seriously think about moding them to take the 198's.
    Replacing the tweeters is a nice positive upgrade
    "mint condition", gratz and nice score.
  • dubseven
    Options
    I dont believe they are TLs. The tweeters are SL2000s.
  • ptrooper
    Options
    Are they definately 1.2's or SDA SRS? check serial number,if thats missing,you'll have to check the drivers individually as the SDA SRS are a different animal to the 1.2's and tl's .
  • dubseven
    Options
    They are SDA SRS 1.2.

8 mids, 4 tweeters each.
  • ptrooper
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I would just replace the blown tweets for now and listen while you look seriously into upgrading them in the future.There is plenty information on here to do some cheep upgrades like dynamiting the basket drivers and adding black hole 5 or another dampening product to rear inside cabinet behind the drivers.
    Glueing the magnets so they never move in the future is a "must do".
    The speakers must be sealed properly, pushing in gently on the radiator and holding in , the 8 drivers should slowly move back in and should only take about 3 seconds or more.
    If this is not for you they will definately sell easy enough.
    As they say in here "Welcome to the rabbit hole"
    They are keepers