Home Technology - Smart Homes - What is your wish?

Options

Comments

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Options
    I think the all or nothing issue is the biggest disagreement. I bought a programmable thermostat, for example, because I kept forgetting to adjust the non-programmable one when I went to work. My electric bill said it almost paid for itself in the first month.

Smart light, if you have an out building, could be nice to turn a light on/off from the house so you don’t trip,over something in the dark, or want to illuminate somebody who shouldn’t be there. Strictly for indentafication.purposes, as we say in Texas.

Smart devices to keep track of groceries? My system is going shopping Saturday, get what I need, and returning Sunday to get what I forgot Saturday. Been working for a couple decades, proven technology there.

Won one of those smart hub devices in some raffle, I don’t remember entering, at work. Asked them to pick someone else, but that dea was shot down. Long story short, I wasn’t comfortable with them, still am not, and not one in my home.

As far as auto analogies, have power windows, locks, and cruise control. Think I prefer manual locks and window, and have never used cruise control on any of my vehicles. Actually think I pay a little more attention with road, and other drivers without the cruise control. Just me probably me.

As far as personal security, no big secret, we’re all less secure in the modern age than as little as 10 years ago. The easier the target, the greater chance he/she will be the victim. Again, no big secret.

A good deal of these modern, app based things I see no point in, but that’s me. Somebody thinks they’re useful, and I suspect many just want the latest and greatest toys. What do I know, I still wash all my dishes by hand, and can’t figure out why that dishwasher is in my house.
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    Not just convenience, but safety and efficiency too IMO, and my soul was damaged goods anyway, so the buyer got a raw deal.

Shut up Karen
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    Options
    lightman1 wrote: »
    Not just convenience, but safety and efficiency too IMO, and my soul was damaged goods anyway, so the buyer got a raw deal.

Shut up Karen

I would always think twice before taking advice from this guy on lighting -- we all know he's in cahoots with Big Photon.

:#
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,928
    Options
    charley95 wrote: »
    Hey honey, what's the account number and the password to that account we have the 500k in? :D
    It’s not that expensive to start. All you need for HomeKit is a connected device that stays at home, which can be an iPad or an Apple TV or a HomePod that you may already have. Not sure of the requirements for Google Home or Alexa, but I’m guessing that it’s also one stay at home connected device.

There are Philips Hue starter kits with a hub and four bulbs for $100 (if you stick to white bulbs), and additional four bulb packs for about $60. Other brands are cheaper, but I stuck with Philips. There weren’t many options two years ago, especially for HomeKit, and Hue has been 100% reliable over time (no disconnections).

If all you want is control of some lights (coming home in the dark etc.), and some outlets (holiday lights), the investment is quite small.
    Alea jacta est!
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I don't like communicating with other humans in the morning, I damn sure don't want to talk to "alexa."
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    I don't like communicating with other humans in the morning, I damn sure don't want to talk to "alexa."

Rather talk to a dog than a machine. lol
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    Smart home devices are like power windows on a car, central locking, keyless entry, keyless ignition, heated seats, ventilated seats, panorama sunroof... or even a unifying remote for HT & audio... the list goes on and on.

Once you’ve tried almost any one of the above, you’ll never want to go back to what you had before.

Two years ago, I changed all the main lights to Philips Hue and multiple outlets as well. This includes the garage outlets controlling holiday lighting outdoors. All of this is controlled in various ways:
    • HomePod speaker: Voice control.
    • Apple TV with Siri remote: Voice control.
    • Any connected iPad: Siri voice control. Touch control with immediate access from the swipe down Control Center.
    • Any connected iPhone: Siri voice control. Touch control with immediate access from the swipe down Control Center.
    • Any connected iPod: Siri voice control. Touch control with immediate access from the swipe down Control Center.
    • Any Apple Watch: Siri voice control. Touch control via the app in the dock.

Automations are set up to turn certain lights (including outdoors) at a time of day, or in relation to sunset or sunrise. This means, for example, that outdoor lighting will come on at sunset and turn off at sunrise regardless of the actual time of day. Everything adjusted automatically when daylight savings ended recently. In the evenings, lights come on in the living room, for example, without having to go around and turn on multiple lamps individually. Similarly, they can all be dimmed with one command or screen tap for watching movies etc.

When it’s time to turn in for the night, the last person awake can turn off all lights everywhere with a single command or touch control. I can do that from my watch in the bedroom even if my connected iPhone is off. When we are on a trip, the house lights and goes dark exactly as if we were home (and we can even check on it from anywhere in the world).

The manual switches remain, of course, but they are barely ever used - and if you’re going to use them, they should be replaced with smart switches, so that HomeKit (or equivalent) is able to detect whether that light/switch is on or off.

In some cases, it’s more cost effective to replace a switch instead of light bulbs. For example, if you have multiple pot lights in a corridor, or in a kitchen, then it would be far more cost effective to replace the switch that controls all these lights, rather than replace multiple individual light bulbs with smart bulbs. The same is true for chandeliers.

Next up will be the thermostat, followed by door locks, including the garage, and security cameras. We will be able to provide our dog sitter with a “key” to the house using the HomeKit app for her iPhone, which will only be valid for the specified duration, instead of giving her a physical key.

Adding presence sensors are another option. For example, if a presence is detected in a hallway at night, the lights could come on at 10% brightness like a night light.

There are so many possibilities, and they improve all the time.

I don’t worry about data collection. Apple is not an advertising company. I don’t care if they listen to my voice commands or monitor my HomeKit usage if there is any chance it might improve operation in the future. Apple never send me promotions based on any usage of our devices and there are no advertisements anywhere in official Apple apps.

To each his own brotha, but I see it as a waste to have every mundane task connected to my phone for operation. Your more dependent on the phone/app to do your tasks than your own brain. Lose your phone then what ? Kid loses their phone ? Person you give the codes to for the dog, they can easily give that code out to someone else just as easy as a key.

….and if your not worried about the data collection, or the listening, because if it's listening for a wake up word, it's listening period, that's cool too. Just remember, your helping usher in the type of society China has. You can say hogwash all you want, but it always starts out small and snowballs. All starts with data collection, then moves to listening/watching, then to controlling behaviors/movement/ and taxing.

Nobody needs to know when your lights are on/off, when your home or not, what temp. you keep your thermostat at, what's in the fridge, if the oven is on or micro. If your doing laundry at the wrong time of day. What the outside or inside of your home looks like, what you bought at the grocery store, when your watching a movie, etc.

If your intent on giving others the specifics of your life, then don't cry one day when your denied certain things because of those specifics or taxed more money for them, because it will happen and already does to some extent.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    "Alexa, wash my damn car." Technology dream, REALIZED.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I like gadgets. :smile:

Are most of em useless? Debatable. Useful? Some of them for sure.

App controlled thermostats, although I do not have one currently, is next (not nest) on my list! I like the idea of monitoring the home just in case. Furnace goes out while away, avoid the frozen pipes, or because I forget to set it (more likely the case) :smile:

Security cameras at the new home is also on the list. I had some at the old house, and again, you could monitor the home, just in case, while you were away.

Safety and Security are tops on my list when looking at new technology.

No kids at the house anymore, but how many of us remember coming home only to realize the kids left every friggin light on in the house? App controlled switch could help.

Or, another type of switch on my kid's arse for leaving the lights on! Oh wait, that was me, and I got the receiving end of the switch! Figuratively of course, it was more like the orange Hot Wheels tracks! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    People either do things out of:
    Fear of loss
    Or
    Motivation to gain.
    Who are you?
  • verb
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    Fear of loss
    Or
    Motivation to gain.
    Who are you?

Interesting Joe. Fear of something happening to the home, or my loved ones for sure.

But, as I said, love the gadgets! So, ya never know! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Kex
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    ...Lose your phone then what ? Kid loses their phone ? Person you give the codes to for the dog, they can easily give that code out to someone else just as easy as a key...
    I understand the hesitation, Tony. Initially, I wasn’t sure if I would even like it, so I started out small with just four lights. It grew from there.

As for the points from above:
    • Lose your phone then what? No impact. The system continues normally. If you have an Apple TV, iPod, iPad, Mac, or HomePod, they will continue to control your home normally. Then use “Find my iPhone” and see where it is, and if necessary, wipe it clean. Anyone with your phone cannot use it to enter your house or control your house because they won’t have the TouchID or FaceID credentials to do so.
    • They can easily give that code out to someone else just as easy as a key? Not exactly. There are no codes. You “invite” their iPhone to your home for a predetermined amount of time. They would have to (a) give somebody else their phone, and (b) give that person their passcode to use their phone. Also. When you give them your key, they could make a copy and you’d never know. With HomeKit, there is no way for them to copy the digital “key”. In any case, if you don’t have a higher opinion of your dog sitter, you need a new dog sitter, and they’d be the first suspect in case of a burglary or any other untoward activities.
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,556
    Options
    My dog ate the last dog sitter do you know a good one? Preferably one that is fast on their feet.
  • Kex
    Options
    Fear of loss
    Or
    Motivation to gain.
    Who are you?
    Fear of loss would be the security integration, including the ability to monitor home, and the ability to control access, including giving anyone your digital key without the ability to lose it, or make a copy.

Motivation to gain would be motivation to gain in efficiency and ease of use, I suppose.
    Alea jacta est!
  • verb
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Fear of loss
    Or
    Motivation to gain.
    Who are you?
    Fear of loss would be the security integration, including the ability to monitor home, and the ability to control access, including giving anyone your digital key without the ability to lose it, or make a copy.

Motivation to gain would be motivation to gain in efficiency and ease of use, I suppose.

Efficiency gains for sure! Allows us to do other things and be more productive! See that at work a lot, constantly introducing newer technology, better processes, etc. Bottom line is that allows us to design a vehicle in much less time and get it to market! And with much greater performance and quality.

Now if I got a robotic mower or vacuum, and as a result I sit on my arse more, well then that might not be the best thing! :smile:
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I have my house loaded with tech. Anyone who has the tin hat theory about them “watching” or “listening” better get rid of their cell phones ASAP. Much more likely they will invade privacy through government regulated networks than individual company’s devices.
    They will hit my iPhone long before my Amazon Alexa.
    Regardless, we live boring lives. I don’t break laws behind closed doors, don’t say incriminating things and generally lead a Christian lifestyle. Nothing interesting to any entities.
    But I love saying “Alexa turn on the ac, set the alarm, watch tv, turn the lights off” etc. works like a champ. Not to mention the Harmony remote system controlling all my A/V devices flawlessly.
  • verb
    Options
    I have my house loaded with tech. Anyone who has the tin hat theory about them “watching” or “listening” better get rid of their cell phones ASAP. Much more likely they will invade privacy through government regulated networks than individual company’s devices.
    They will hit my iPhone long before my Amazon Alexa.
    Regardless, we live boring lives. I don’t break laws behind closed doors, don’t say incriminating things and generally lead a Christian lifestyle. Nothing interesting to any entities.
    But I love saying “Alexa turn on the ac, set the alarm, watch tv, turn the lights off” etc. works like a champ. Not to mention the Harmony remote system controlling all my A/V devices flawlessly.

Another reason for me to visit Joe!

Gotta admit the voice recognition technology is pretty awesome nowadays. The Mrs will dictate a message in Vietnamese on her phone and it displays the text with correct punctuation (Vietnamese punctuation is very complicated) flawlessly! :smile:
  • verb
    Options
    Thinking about this a bit, while travelling, in some of the hotels that I stay at, I'm always impressed with the automatic curtains or window blinds! Necessary for the home, meh, but IMO just very cool! :smile:
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    verb wrote: »
    Thinking about this a bit, while travelling, in some of the hotels that I stay at, I'm always impressed with the automatic curtains or window blinds! Necessary for the home, meh, but IMO just very cool! :smile:

Yup that’s on my list too
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Some very cool stuff out there.
    Now, Alexa start the vacuum. Goodnight.
  • jdavid
    jdavid Posts: 46
    Options
    What recommendations for remotes for home theatre where all equipment will be in another room directly behind TV on wall.Have not looked at remotes in years. Which work best and are most reliable these days in these circumstances?
    Appreciate others experience and suggestions.
  • jdavid
    Options
    Someplace else I should post this?
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,528
    Options
    Harmony remotes that use RF are a good bet
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    Options
    Harmony is really your only (best) choice now. All other besides Crestron full home setups are gone.

The Elite is fantastic. I have that and we also have the lesser Companion for another room setup. Both have hubs and will work with RF to control gear in another room/furniture.
  • jdavid
    Options
    Thanks! I recall years ago the Universal Remote Brand not cheap- How does elite compare to those?
  • msg
    msg Posts: 9,430
    Options
    Lots of neat tech out there, but so much of it seems unnecessary. Questionable as to whether it's even truly beneficial, or just cool to have.

Most people can't even manage a smartphone and are living in them too much as it is. Do they really need more connected stuff in their lives, slinging data, notifications and clunky controls at them? I'm cool turning my lights on myself, and keeping track of my own groceries. Guess I'm more interested in simplifying these days.

Still been meaning to pick up a few Clappers, though.
    I disabled signatures.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,679
    Options
    msg wrote: »

I would advise against it.

xwuxyc2qv9gl.jpg
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,029
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Lots of neat tech out there, but so much of it seems unnecessary. Questionable as to whether it's even truly beneficial, or just cool to have.

Most people can't even manage a smartphone and are living in them too much as it is. Do they really need more connected stuff in their lives, slinging data, notifications and clunky controls at them? I'm cool turning my lights on myself, and keeping track of my own groceries. Guess I'm more interested in simplifying these days.

a-freaking-men. :)

Not that anyone asked, but here's what the Venn diagram looks like at the intersection between technology and my house.

fkkwjgjomapq.gif*

B)

B)
  • msg
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I would advise against it.
    xwuxyc2qv9gl.jpg

[msg peels wheels, makes two rights, a left and floors it]
    I disabled signatures.
  • msg
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Not that anyone asked, but here's what the Venn diagram looks like at the intersection between technology and my house.

fkkwjgjomapq.gif
    I still have a DVD/VCR combo doing that.

I disabled signatures.