Home Technology - Smart Homes - What is your wish?

Options
treitz3
treitz3 Posts: 18,335
https://iottysmarthome.com/products/iotty-smart-switch

Hey all, I was looking t these things today. I already have upgraded my home from 1980 undersized almond wall plates and switches/outlets to screwless wall plates and all Decora/Lumina hard wired as well as wireless w/o wi-fi technologies.

Trey (VR3) has 2,000 miles of wire ran throughout his home even though it's 1500sf to modernize his home, along with everything that is controlled through his phone.

I saw this today and was in awe. (check link)

With that said, my cell phone apparently picked up a conversation I had with my wife at Sam's club today. They had a barely damaged entertainment system/fireplace on clearance from 600 down to 150. I just mentioned it to her......we had no where to put it but I stated that it was only $150, so we had a brief.....and I do mean brief conversation about it.

I come home and check my Facebook feed and saw something I never saw before....

It was a advertisement for...what else? A Fireplace/entertainment console that looked EXACTLY like the one we were looking at.

I had NEVER seen this on my news feed or advertisements before.

Let me digress, we met a waitress at a restaurant a year and a half ago. Her name was Jennifer Lopez. No, obviously not the famous one. Well, we had a conversation with this nice lady and the VERY NEXT DAY, I see a "Suggested Friend" from Facebook. Guess who?

Jennifer Lopez.

I clicked onto her profile picture and sure as all get up? It was our waitress the day before.

There have been more instances that I will not care to divulge that simply cannot be construed as "coincidence".

With that said, I would like to introduce this smart home link product into my home.

What do you think? I will not allow my son to bring his "Alexa" out of his room, which is about 100 feet away from our living room where most of the family conversations happen.

Where do you draw the line for convenience and awesome technology/privacy?

Tom
~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~

Comments

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,042
    edited March 2019
    Options
    $90 for a light switch....

What the...

I'm not a fan of smart speakers but I do believe our phones listen more than we know
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    Trey, at one point I was scoffing at $37 for a switch (or whatever the heck we paid). Now that they are installed? I could never go back. They are the bomb.....and easier to clean. Simplicity with being modern rocks.

The loss of privacy?

These things look to be smokin' hot...if even for a couple of switches to start out with...

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I like sleek, but when you start looking into 4 way switches, I would be curious to know if they even offer that.

This would be a large investment to a house and I wonder how durable since it is glass.
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • treitz3
    Options
    I thought about that too, Trey.

$$$$$$$$$$$$ for the whole home.

I would imagine the glass would be compatible to cell phone or tempered glass. I don't really know but I do love the look. Love it, love it, love it.

See what you started? I hate you now.

Tom
  • VR3
    Options
    Haha, why not just keep your switches and go all smart led bulbs?
  • treitz3
    Options
    Good suggestion bro'. Will take you up on that. Would still like to introduce better technology into the homestead....without the sacrifice of privacy.

Tom
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    Alexa is my friend. She helps me with
    The lights
    The ac
    The alarm
    The cameras x3
    The music
    The tv
    The vacuum
    Etc etc
    But I’m not too worried about the tin hat stuff. We don’t say anything that would worry anyone in this house. Buts that’s us.
    I will say that trying to get stuff that’s independent of a hub is key as they are still arguing about a universal language for smart home. Blu Ray/ HD DVD anyone?
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    I want a garage that becomes a car wash/dry after I go in the house.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • treitz3
    edited March 2019
    Options
    ....So you want a glorified BJ, eh?

Tom
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    Options
    Our phartsmones read our minds...
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    Just pay Russ to hit the switches FOR YOU.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    While I can see a purpose for SOME smart tech in a home, you would need to be real stupid to go full bore with that crap. With the way they can even hack a baby monitor or turn the camera on your tv on or off at will, I don't want any of it in my home.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • VR3
    Options
    I'm with @joecoulson on this. I have stayed away from investing into to much smart home stuff until they figure out a standard or primary format.

Easy to easy to burn money on something that could be obsolete in a year or less!

Like the original thread, this company makes only light switches. I mean do you have an app for your light switch, thermostat and another for your door bell??

No thanks lol
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,802
    Options
    The only thing smart in my house is me.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    The only thing smart in my house is me.
    That may be open to debate... ;):p
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • herbertdickson
    Options
    With the latest update, the garbage disposal control function has been added. What you think about it?

https://bestsinkdisposal.com/1-2-hp-garbage-disposals/
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,704
    Options
    I don't need a fridge reminding me I need beer.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,534
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    I'm with @joecoulson on this. I have stayed away from investing into to much smart home stuff until they figure out a standard or primary format.

Easy to easy to burn money on something that could be obsolete in a year or less!

Like the original thread, this company makes only light switches. I mean do you have an app for your light switch, thermostat and another for your door bell??

No thanks lol

I’ve mainly bet on things that work with Alexa or Google Assistant.

I’m using Google assistance as my front end for now.... but any lights/cameras/etc I buy will work with both so I don’t get totally screwed if one decides to stop selling/making/supporting them.

I’m up to lights next but not sure if I want to do bulbs or switches. I’d think switches would be best as bulbs go bad over time. Plus I need some for my fans too.

Looking at Lutron stuff right now.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited March 2019
    Options
    While I can see a purpose for SOME smart tech in a home, you would need to be real stupid to go full bore with that crap. With the way they can even hack a baby monitor or turn the camera on your tv on or off at will, I don't want any of it in my home.

https://www.btboces.org/Downloads/7_There Will Come Soft Rains by Ray Bradbury.pdf

:|

This story made a vivid impression on me when I read it in Jr. High School. Perhaps it's the reason I am something of a Luddite :p
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    edited March 2019
    Options
    When I was in Florida recently, much talk was had by the locals about smart homes now being offered for sale. New homes, already set up that way, instead of retro fitting an older one. They were going goo-goo over them.

Whether you agree with the tech or not being in your home, many people want it. Many want the convenience of controlling everything with a smart phone or voice command or both. I guess mundane tasks are just too mundane for some.

There's a reason fishing lures are made to be attractive to a fish too. The smart fish have learned how to steal your bait without swallowing the hook. :)

The other tech few are talking about is implanting a chip in your hand. That way you can unlock doors and turn on lights with hand gestures. Also pay for stuff with a hand gesture. Already in some European countries, it will make it's way here too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,046
    edited March 2019
    Options
    How quickly will the technology be obsolete enough to require complete replacement?

One of the great innovations of the IOT (Internet of Things, which I refer to as the IOS: Internet of s[tuff]) is the ability for the manufacturer to brick the component remotely, any time they decide to discontinue support, in real time.

• tonyb
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    How quickly will the technology be obsolete enough to require complete replacement?

One of the great innovations of the IOT (Internet of Things, which I refer to as the IOS: Internet of s[tuff]) is the ability for the manufacturer to brick the component remotely, any time they decide to discontinue support, in real time.

You mean Doc, like Twitter cuts you off if they don't like what your saying. Give that much more power to corporations and ….what can possibly go wrong ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DoneandGone
    Options
    The universal ‘communication language’ is here, now. And it’s called Solid - Social Linked Data. Sir Tim Berners Lee has developed a schema and you can start your research here,
    https://inrupt.com/solid
    Just now on the marketplace since last September, but this IS the future and EVERYTHING will change.
    You heard if from me first. Companies are starting to develop data interfaces already. Get ready for a paradigm shift in connectivity over the next couple of years.
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • steveinaz
    Options
    ....I still want my automatic garage car wash.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Seriously though, I HATE most all "smart" products. I hate spell check. I hate auto-correct. I want to think on my own, not have a computer try to guess what I'm thinking. It's worked for 57yrs, I think I'll stick with it. My AC/Heat thermostat (traditional) is about as advanced as I care for--and I over-ride it most of the time.

....except for my garage automatic car wash.
  • DoneandGone
    Options
    Unfortunately, you have no choice in resisting change. It might work for half a decade, but that’s it. What happened in the past 5 decades cannot not/will not affect the next 2 decades. Adopt or wither away. Sorry for saying it that way, but it’s happening so buckle down and work out your own personal way of managing change.
    And forget your cash wash. You likely won’t own you car as all electric vehicles will be co omanied owned and every time you want to go on a journey, the ‘ride’ is ordered. Autonomous vehicles, that is.
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • tonyb
    Options
    Unfortunately, you have no choice in resisting change. It might work for half a decade, but that’s it. What happened in the past 5 decades cannot not/will not affect the next 2 decades. Adopt or wither away. Sorry for saying it that way, but it’s happening so buckle down and work out your own personal way of managing change.
    And forget your cash wash. You likely won’t own you car as all electric vehicles will be co omanied owned and every time you want to go on a journey, the ‘ride’ is ordered. Autonomous vehicles, that is.

Maybe in Canada you won't have a choice :) , but we like choices here and will always protect having one.

Yes, we have a choice to not have smart devices, share information, still use cash, write checks, drive gas cars/trucks. Eat what we want, drink what we want. It's called liberty, and most of us will refute anything or anyone that seeks to remove it.

No doubt change happens over time, but change doesn't necessarily mean it's for the better either. That's why having a choice to participate in said change is important. By taking away choice, your social engineering, which isn't looked on kindly down here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,984
    Options
    "Alexa loves me, this I know ...."
  • tonyb
    Options
    dromunds wrote: »
    "Alexa loves me, this I know ...."

LOL....kinda sexist isn't it ? I mean...why are all these voice command things a womans voice ? Wouldn't a woman like a Jason Mamoa voice to talk to all day ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • VR3
    Options
    IMO, a true smart house would have no switches... you should be able to control everything without switches but a hub or smart phone interface... this capability makes switches inconvenient because the smart home doesn't work if the switch is off...