Home Technology - Smart Homes - What is your wish?

Options

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,906
    Options
    VR3 wrote: »
    IMO, a true smart house would have no switches... you should be able to control everything without switches but a hub or smart phone interface... this capability makes switches inconvenient because the smart home doesn't work if the switch is off...

It also doesn't allow anyone without a smartphone, or connected to the house, to turn on a light either. How many people would you want to give access to your homes automation ? You'd still need switches imho.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,042
    edited March 2019
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Seriously though, I HATE most all "smart" products. I hate spell check. I hate auto-correct. I want to think on my own, not have a computer try to guess what I'm thinking. It's worked for 57yrs, I think I'll stick with it. My AC/Heat thermostat (traditional) is about as advanced as I care for--and I over-ride it most of the time.

....except for my garage automatic car wash.
    And forget your cash wash. You likely won’t own you car as all electric vehicles will be co omanied owned and every time you want to go on a journey, the ‘ride’ is ordered. Autonomous vehicles, that is.

Cash wash.
    co omanied.
    The irony is palpable.

B)

• mhardy6647
    edited March 2019
    Options
    Sadly, @DoneandGone is most likely right. The technology revolution is almost over, and we're poised to have been the losers. I figure I'm old enough to be dead before it gets too ugly, though. :/

A course has been charted. It's a course that doesn't leave much room for human intervention -- and, ultimately, human free will.

The beta tests have been a little unpleasant. See, e.g., Boeing 737-MAX 8 :(
    Only a few hundred people had to die to catch a couple of design glitches and demonstrate that one of the options for that aircraft perhaps should have been standard equipment.

Along the darker lines of the subtext of this thread, here's an interesting (I'll make no value judgment) take on the 1950s-60s humanist vision of technology and the future vs. the emerging 21st Century vision of same. It's certainly debatable (indeed, it's fairly crotchety!) but it is, I'd opine, interesting nonetheless.

https://uxplanet.org/what-do-1980s-concept-cars-and-2000s-cell-phones-have-in-common-cb094dd33c38

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    Options
    Here's what amazes me, as a "used-to-be" computer whiz. I truly was considered a computer-guru in my heyday; authored my first website using notepad and long-hand html language. I use to optimize peoples computers by creating autoexec.bat and config.sys edits made specifically for their system/hardware. That later morphed into Windows registry tweaks, over-clocking processors, etc before it was a "thing." and of course building my own computers, and a few for friends. Yeah, I was that guy that everybody called when they screwed up their personal PC. It got old quick, so I stopped building pc's for others.

Having said all that; A/V equipment, computers, general tech, is more confusing now than it has ever been. Instead of this stuff progressing all these years to be more user friendly--it's actually moved in the opposite direction. Seriously. I'm still pretty damn tech savvy, but some of this stuff blows me away with its complexity.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    steveinaz wrote: »
    Here's what amazes me, as a "used-to-be" computer whiz. I truly was considered a computer-guru in my heyday; authored my first website using notepad and long-hand html language. I use to optimize peoples computers by creating autoexec.bat and config.sys edits made specifically for their system/hardware. That later morphed into Windows registry tweaks, over-clocking processors, etc before it was a "thing." and of course building my own computers, and a few for friends. Yeah, I was that guy that everybody called when they screwed up their personal PC. It got old quick, so I stopped building pc's for others.

Having said all that; A/V equipment, computers, general tech, is more confusing now than it has ever been. Instead of this stuff progressing all these years to be more user friendly--it's actually moved in the opposite direction. Seriously. I'm still pretty damn tech savvy, but some of this stuff blows me away with its complexity.

I could've written that myself, except for me it was assembly language programming for CP/M and hardware interfacing in the days when hooking a printer to a microcomputer required a breakout box, jumper wires, and the tools and bits required to fabricate a (serial) cable :)

Now, I am pretty much clueless.

I will say that Apple, by building a wall around their ecosystem, is the perfect partner to folks who just don't wanna know how their sausage is made. :|
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Options
    This detail has been hashed in other threads, but if you are not wanting smart tech in your house because of privacy risks, better get rid of your phone. This is the one device that would be the first point of entry for any professional privacy hacks (private or other)
    As far as the smart tech, i suppose all of it could be hacked by anyone. We do not have cameras in bedrooms in our home, but we do have an Alexa device (muted during magic moments)
    I for one like the convenience and know that in the future it will be more a part of every day products. I get the guys who want as little of this around as possible, but (to a certain extent) agree with @DoneandGone
    Just like DTV broadcasts were changed by government mandate, so will the tech that lobbyists make a priority. IE I can see a possibility where AC thermostats are government controlled if we don't get a handle on the ever increasing energy usage in this country (this coming from a conservative)
    Overall for me its 1/2 cool and 1/2 convenience. To each is own but it's not going to fade away, I know that.
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    Options
    @VR3

I agree. My perfect smart house would be programmed to react to stimuli. Things like lights would turn on and off based on if cell signaled or motion were in a room. Routines would kick ion during the day to manage the normal state of your house (alarm, lights, furnace, etc). Doors would lock and unlock as you approached etc.

We just aren’t there yet, but BOY are we inching closer each day.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • tonyb
    Options
    joecoulson wrote: »
    This detail has been hashed in other threads, but if you are not wanting smart tech in your house because of privacy risks, better get rid of your phone. This is the one device that would be the first point of entry for any professional privacy hacks (private or other)

True Joe, but this is also why I never keep passwords on my phone, don't do banking or save any valuable documents on my phone. I perfect example of using the technology, with minimal risk.

One has to think too, the more technology advances, so will the crooks tech too. Should you give them more access points, or less ? Should they hear when you'll be on vacation, gone for a weekend ?

I would assume a fully smart home would also have to have kids with cell phones too to operate everything. Kids don't leave cell phones anywhere when they are out, or share things with friends, hand out passwords.

To me, it's one big can of worms, and ya know what they say about opening those cans. Your asking for more problems than the tech can solve by having it.

History has also shown us, the most technologically advanced ones, don't last as long as those that aren't. Atlantis, Vikings, Romans, Mayans, just to name a few. Maybe, because in their quest to be the most advanced, they traded off what made them prosperous to begin with. I would argue we may be doing exactly the same things.

It's a balancing act, to integrate technology while keeping the basic principles of society in tact. Nobody gives a rats behind if your life is easier or harder by technology. All they care about is how to profit from it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,531
    edited March 2019
    Options
    tonyb wrote: »
    joecoulson wrote: »

True Joe, but this is also why I never keep passwords on my phone, don't do banking or save any valuable documents on my phone. I perfect example of using the technology, with minimal risk.

And thats fine Tony, but everyone seems to harp on the "They are listening to you" speal.... which guess what... your phone in your pocket also has a mic to listen to.

And if they can hack your phone, dont think that they cant hack the blutooth connection, which may lead to them to be able to connect to other things....

In general as a individual, hackers could care less about you. In the aggregate, the gov could, can and does. We already know they collect everyones data, so lets be honest, nothing changes there.

Passwords, etc, again Hackers aren't going to seek out an individual unless its through a spam/phishing attack on a large scale, and I'm sure you're not clicking links for Nigerian princes. That or they are going to pay for a hack on a larger company that has MILLIONS of points of data, and that of course could be a Google, or Amazon, etc....

So again, lets be honest, no one's safe. If someone wants to "get you" as a person, they* will spend the time to do so, ir-respective of the safeguards you "think" you have in place. Otherwise you still risk your information being a casualty of the cyberwar that never stops. Who ever thought Equifax would get hacked. Nothing you can do there... they have your info if you want them to or not..

*They refers to gov entities (US or foreign), as well as others (hackers, etc)....

"....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • joecoulson
    Options
    To be perfectly frank, I am a LOT more scared of FB or social media (in regards to privacy fouls) than I am any Alexa or smart home device. I personally do not have an FB account or Twt account.
  • tonyb
    Options
    All possibilities Joe, but to minimize the risks, like I said, do you want to give them more access points or less ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    Options
    ...The other tech few are talking about is implanting a chip in your hand. That way you can unlock doors and turn on lights with hand gestures. Also pay for stuff with a hand gesture. Already in some European countries, it will make it's way here too.

Right now, I wouldn't mind that at all. I've got such a bad case of tendonitis in my right wrist, that even turning my key in the lock hurts bad.
    dromunds wrote: »
    "Alexa loves me, this I know ...."

LOL....kinda sexist isn't it ? I mean...why are all these voice command things a womans voice ? Wouldn't a woman like a Jason Mamoa voice to talk to all day ?

He!! YEAH, or James Spader, Sean Connery, Patrick Stewart, Tom Selleck, Chris Hemsworth.... <3
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • joecoulson
    Options
    I get what your saying T
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    edited March 2019
    Options
    So the cool thing about the new Linked Data schema is an incredible amount of security associated. Therefore, all IOT devices would be completely under control by the user (you) and fear of hacking will be minimized. There's a certain amount of personal information that you want to know about yourself and then certain stuff that is public for (ultimately) yours and society's benefits.
    In the film Minority Report, remember when Tom Cruise walked in the subway and shops and signs recognized him? that's the sort of public information that we will allow. When you have a home camera, people can't access that. When you have a fridge, you want the grocery service to know when you run low on produce, because new food would be delivered to your home without prompting.
    Fear of the unknown drives human resistance. I can read that in the above comments. There's nothing to fear, just lots to understand before embracing. I think we should buy lots of **** and get used to the idea of introducing new tech into our homes. And when the 'common data environment' of data communication is rolled out on a worldwide stage acceptance will be easier and our products will not necessarily be 'out of date'.
    Read some Ray Kurzweil stuff and the dots will be joined! I particularly like the semantic searching that Google is continually enhancing.
    Audio Room
    PS Audio Perfectwave DAC MK2, Bridge 1 streaming perfectly now B)
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    Dual Goldenear Forcefield 3 Subs
    PS Audio receptacle
    3 PS Audio Noise Harvesters
    PS Audio power, interconnects and speaker cables
    Homemade sound absorption
    Lots of blocks for weight and a red single listening chair
  • DoneandGone
    Options
    Oh, and all this social media crap will have to change their data engines also. Because they suck trying to exist autonomously. As your data held in one environment, it has little value, plus they are 'holding' it....not very secure. If the secure Solid data is 'linked' to these social sites, YOU hold the data and allow these site access to it under YOUR control. And when an almost unpenetrable security system is wrapped around your data, the face of cyber security will change also. Potentially, for the better, but that's another thread.
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,798
    Options
    Oh look, free Kool-Aid.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• DoneandGone
    Options
    Haha,
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • DoneandGone
    Options
    But I thought this forum about expression of one’s opinion and not budging, contrary to other people’s opinions? Haha
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,098
    Options
    Ignore list? Done... and Gone!
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • tonyb
    Options
    Oh, and all this social media crap will have to change their data engines also. Because they suck trying to exist autonomously. As your data held in one environment, it has little value, plus they are 'holding' it....not very secure. If the secure Solid data is 'linked' to these social sites, YOU hold the data and allow these site access to it under YOUR control. And when an almost unpenetrable security system is wrapped around your data, the face of cyber security will change also. Potentially, for the better, but that's another thread.

You know why they exist autonomously ? Because they make money buying and selling data. You think everyone is just going to give it all up for free ? Change their business model to help ….you ?

If it doesn't make them more money, it's dead in the water. This is essentially putting all your eggs in one basket and limiting choice. Worked out so well for cable providers eh.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    edited March 2019
    Options
    When you give one company the means to keep tabs on everything you do in life, you run into things like this eventually.

https://nypost.com/2018/09/19/chinas-social-credit-system-is-a-real-life-black-mirror-nightmare/

Technology asks of you to give them an inch, but we all know when you let someone take that inch, they take a mile. It's not tinfoil hat stuff, just ask the Chinese.

It's one thing to share information for marketing means, quite another when government wants all that info to be more controlling. Once all that info leaves your hands, all bets are off on what can and will be done with it.

The obvious trick to this "convenience technology", is to get everyone to believe it will help your life. In reality though, it may turn out to do just the opposite.

Case in point....smart phones. Sure, they help your life in some aspects, but it's the info gathering they really want. Now, everyone is addicted to it, and not for the better either, in my view. Now lets see if we can gather more info, sell it to the right people, with even more technology in the home. Sooner or later, all that info gathered will be worth a fortune to those looking for more money, power, and the ability to control people's actions.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • DoneandGone
    DoneandGone Posts: 74
    edited March 2019
    Options
    You’re right with that statement Tony, of old, but that business model is going to flip. Consider the business model of who can supply/consume the data ‘best’. Data will be THE commodity.
    Anyway, I’ll sign off on this thread. It has strayed a little from the original question. I just wanted say that any device in the true ‘smart home’ of the future will have data associated to it. Therefore, any IOT device can/will be connected to the internet. Especially with 5G coming, there is no practical limit. Heck, I bet we will even end up with some ‘free’ products, just so our personal data can be collected and sold......
    Audio Room
    Marantz SM-11S1
    Foundation Research LC2
    Kef XQ1 bookshelves
    PS Audio receptacle
  • tonyb
    Options
    The business model isn't going to flip, not in a capitalist society anyway. It will only flip if government mandates it to, which is why it works in other communist/socialist countries. You wouldn't have a choice under those types of societies. There's that word again...."choice". :)

Businesses here won't give up their own bread and butter to xyz for free, to keep things under one roof, not here anyway. They still have a "choice" themselves.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,983
    Options
    All I know is my frickin' truck is so "smart" that if I don't start it for about two weeks in the winter there are "energy" drains that will suck the battery dead. Nice. Computer went out once and it cost a grand and I had to take it to the dealer because nobody else could "reprogram" it. And the fact is that all that crap has elevated the price of trucks into the stratosphere. All I want is a basic truck with no carpet, no electric windows, no screen on the dash, no frickin' computer, no club cab, just a good, dependable truck that's easy to work on and can haul a lot in a big bed. As everybody knows, that's really really hard to get now. I guess that keeps the populace addicted to payments like a heroin junky. BTW, I just saw the latest on AI, and it looked like something out of the Terminator. They are doing stuff, and developing stuff, as we speak that is flat out freaky in its implication and implementation. Enough of the old man speech. Lol.
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,976
    Options
    All youz wize guze posting shite on your internet connected device to this forum...never mind, you aren't listening.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,695
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »
    Oh look, free Kool-Aid.

Maybe the new smart fridges will dispense Kool-Aid and alert you when the artificial flavor runs out.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    Options
    There are alternatives out there. Most of the WiFi controlled stuff is cloud based so there's a company that can conceivably profile you and sell the data. But this isn't the only option. You can get a Z-wave hub and Z-wave switches and sensors. There's a few hubs out there that can work with or without cloud. They are going to be harder to setup but once figured out you often have more control. Oh, and a basic Z-wave switch is $30.

I have a few switches in key areas including thermostats. None of it is controlled by Alexa (although I could if I wanted to. I still get a nice web GUI interface that runs on the hub and I connect directly to. Security is my responsibility though, but that is OK for me.

Some home automation is nice. I have pathlights, door lights, and driveway lights all going on at sunset (hub knows the time - not fixed) and then turns off when I want it too. In the middle of the night, all these lights are controlled by motion sensors. The sensors are independent of the actual light; I can dictate which light(s) go on with the sensor. There's lots more that can be done. The hub is programmed like an IFTTT device (although it existed way before).

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,325
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I never thought I'd say this.....but I am looking to get "dumber" when it comes to technology. The dumber I can get? The better.

Might even toss out the Alexa in my 10 year old son's room.

What phones today have the capability of taking the battery out and be "off grid", yet still functioning as a smart phone when plugged in or powered up?

Drug dealers need to chime in now....

Tom
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,027
    Options
    I feel you bro... stringed cans and candle light sconces are in your future...

dilly dilly!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.