Polk L200 Speaker Demo Reviews

Comments

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Get the kitteh to ghostwrite it for you. It's OK -- and they have excellent high frequency hearing, anyway.

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I will NOT be writing a review like that. :D

You do you brah.
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021
    mrbiron wrote: »
    I will NOT be writing a review like that. :D

You or anyone else😁. Don set the bar high, very, very high.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden
  • Thus far starting with music I recognize, though!
    Main: Polk Rti-38
    Center: Polk Csi-40
    Rear: Polk Fxi-30
    Sub: SVS PB10-isd
    Receiver: Marantz SR-5007
    Buttkicker Mini Concert x 4
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2019
    This may be out of place in this thread, but I am not sure where else to put it. :|
    Reflecting on the comments so far -- as the demo rolls on across this great land,
    it'd be really cool, if someone gets a chance, to compare the L200s to some other small stand-mount two-ways, both "peer level" (e.g., the ever-popular KEF LS50) and lesser (even cheap!) but popular models. I'd love to read what folks think about these compared to loudspeakers of similar size and/or configuration.

• WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Reflecting on the comments so far -- as the demo rolls on across this great land,
    it'd be really cool, if someone gets a chance, to compare the L200s to some other small stand-mount two-ways, both "peer level" (e.g., the ever-popular KEF LS50) and lesser (even cheap!) but popular models. I'd love to read what folks think about these compared to loudspeakers of similar size and/or configuration.
    Did you listen to Steve Guttenberg's impressions vs. the LS50?

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Cool. My Taylo Reference Monitors are similarly sized two-ways, and I would've brought my LSi-9's back from the GF's to put up against the L200s but thought my time would better be spent putting the L200's directly up against the 703's. I also thought about putting them up against my Monitor 4 and 5 Peerless but again wanted to spend as much time with the 703's as possible with the different amps.
  • mhardy6647
    I don't think that was a bad decision at all! :)
    I just would be really interested to hear folks impressions against some other current popular loudspeakers of similar dimensions, configuration, and/or price.
  • sgtmick63
    sgtmick63 Posts: 166
    The L-200's are on my short list
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    erniejade wrote: »
    Late to the party. Great review Don!
    I still have kef ls50w powered I will be putting them against when they are in my hands.
    Will be waiting patiently for this one!

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • mhardy6647
    edited October 2019
    me, too, although -- I have to admit that I'd actually be more interested in the unpowered version as a comparator... less variables. :#
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    me, too, although -- I have to admit that I'd actually be more interested in the unpowered version as a comparator... less variables. :#

Well, I have the KEF Q150’s here that I’ll be comparing to the L200’s. Not quite a KEF LS50 but it does have the exact same 5.25” UniQ driver! ;)
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    dromunds wrote: »
    Cool. My Taylo Reference Monitors are similarly sized two-ways, and I would've brought my LSi-9's back from the GF's to put up against the L200s but thought my time would better be spent putting the L200's directly up against the 703's. I also thought about putting them up against my Monitor 4 and 5 Peerless but again wanted to spend as much time with the 703's as possible with the different amps.

Would love to hear a comparison with the Lsi9s!

I really like those speakers, found the lsim 703 to be a bit better in clarity and definition and a few other key ways, but to me a bit strong on the top end.

Looking forward to your comparsions!
  • dromunds
    Excellent review.
  • Great write-up.

Also had a chance to hear the l200 yesterday but it was straight out of the box and thus not yet broken in but just like you, it made me rethink everything I knew about bookshelf speakers in general. It absolutely did not have that 'small' sound I normally expect of them.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    Nice review. Thanks for sharing your impressions. These speakers look like winners so far.
  • dromunds
    Reading the review makes me wish I could get them back for awhile. ;) And its only been two weeks.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Great review.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I should have mentioned that my 8t crossovers are redone with Clarity Cap ESA/Mills. I also glued the drivers and sealed the inside of the cabinets where it was suspect. So..., they aren't stock by any means. My interconnects are Signal Cable, nothing special, and my speaker wire is 30+ year old Phoenix Gold that still looks new with Nakamichi bananas. A regular Joe's rig and the L200's still sounded phenomenal! Don, I miss them already too.

BTW, we haven't heard much anything from Group "A" on this thread, Bueller?, Bueller?...
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • mhardy6647
    Funny (not the ha-hakind; the other kind). I didn't find them (the L200s) to be analytical at all. They had nice resolution -- but utterly no edge as I heard them. Other than having nicely extended (although extremely smooth) treble, I found their presentation quite mellow and a trifle warm.

Just sayin'.
  • erniejade
    erniejade Posts: 6,288
    @smglbrth nice write up!.Did you have a shot to try them with a sub?
    Musical Fidelity Tri-Vista 300, Audioquest Thunderbird Zero Speaker Cable, Tyler Highland H2, Audioquest Thunderbird Interconnect, Innuos Zen MK3 W4S recovery, Revolution Audio Labs USB & Ethernet, Border Patrol SE-I, Audioquest Niagara 5000 & Thunder, Cullen Crossover II PC's.
  • ZLTFUL
    ZLTFUL Posts: 5,640
    Funny (not the ha-hakind; the other kind). I didn't find them (the L200s) to be analytical at all. They had nice resolution -- but utterly no edge as I heard them. Other than having nicely extended (although extremely smooth) treble, I found their presentation quite mellow and a trifle warm.

Just sayin'.

Don't mistake fluidly analytical (Copyright 2019 by smglbrth) for edge. Also bear in mind that my every day speakers are extremely mellow and easy to listen to.

One thing I did notice immediately using on of Skip's demo songs, is that there is a definite demarcation point to the left and right edges of the sound stage. A lot of the music that would use a traditional 4 or 5 piece band layout hides it well because the soundstage shouldn't go that far beyond the edges of the speakers but with this particular song that truly wraps around the sides of the the listening position, it stops 2 feet out from each side of the L200s. Not bad mind you, just different.

Listened for a good 3 hours last night so I will be taking a break tonight.
    "Some people find it easier to be conceited rather than correct."

"Unwad those panties and have a good time man. We're all here to help each other, no matter how it might appear." DSkip
  • mhardy6647
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Don't mistake fluidly analytical (Copyright 2019 by smglbrth) for edge. Also bear in mind that my every day speakers are extremely mellow and easy to listen to.

One thing I did notice immediately using on of Skip's demo songs, is that there is a definite demarcation point to the left and right edges of the sound stage. A lot of the music that would use a traditional 4 or 5 piece band layout hides it well because the soundstage shouldn't go that far beyond the edges of the speakers but with this particular song that truly wraps around the sides of the the listening position, it stops 2 feet out from each side of the L200s. Not bad mind you, just different.

Self-expression was never my best thing :)
    I just meant that they struck me as mellow and not at all analytical (neither fluid, solid, gaseous, nor even plasma). :|

Thass all.
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    ZLTFUL wrote: »

Just sayin'.

Self-expression was never my best thing :)
    I just meant that they struck me as mellow and not at all analytical (neither fluid, solid, gaseous, nor even plasma). :|

Thass all.

That might be a result of the gear used to drive them. What is the associated gear, electronics, interconnect and power cables.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    erniejade wrote: »
    @smglbrth nice write up!.Did you have a shot to try them with a sub?

Nope, no sub. I've only had one sub and that was for HT. I have no idea where it is now, Don would know.

"Copyright 2019 by smglbrth"..., cute, I like it!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • dromunds
    That sub went to a friend of mine. I didn’t have a sub handy for my demo either but I never felt the need for one. I was listening rather near-field but the low end is remarkable for bookies.