Possible power outage for next two days

Comments

• tonybtonyb Posts: 31,649
    mrloren wrote: »
    Scary thing is PG&E still owns Diablo Canyon nuke plant? So how many corners are they cutting there?

My Gas and Electric is $200 a month, no AC or heat used.
    Water is $140 a month, I have the house pressure set at 50psi

A friend who wears a tin foil hat was saying the State wants to take over the utilities starting with PG&E.

I think basically when it comes down to utilities, you have to look at what they charge, versus what the total bill is after taxes and fees. If your like Illinois, that difference can be staggering.

Which again boils down to politics which we aren't suppose to talk about. Generally speaking though, without politics, every state has their own set of rules/laws/mandates/agendas that effect the total bill you pay with utilities. Steve was correct in his statements, we just can't dive too deeply into it here.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
    mrloren wrote: »
    A friend who wears a tin foil hat was saying the State wants to take over the utilities starting with PG&E.

Doubt that would happen. It would erase the scapegoat they use, and fines they could collect. What would the state do, sue themselves ? Have people get angry at the state for power shut offs, rather than a separate company ? That wouldn't play well in the press.

However, they can bury the lines in some of the more windy areas prone to fires. Sure, gonna cost a bunch, but the alternative is to keep putting up with fires every year. Priorities....when you have x amount of money to work with, you need to set priorities.

Plus a state doesn't just eat those costs to bury lines. People will get a special added tax to their bills to pay for it. Maybe, just maybe....once those lines are buried, homeowners insurance may be cheaper because of it, offsetting the added charge on you bill.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • txcoastal1txcoastal1 Posts: 10,656
    Cali residents have been paying under ground utility fee's since 1967. From what I'm reading little to none has been done due to misappropriation of funds. Common practice no matter where you live.

https://www.cpuc.ca.gov/General.aspx?id=4403
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC
  • steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,083
    In other news, the other 49 states have power. LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
  • Mikey081057Mikey081057 Posts: 6,669
    steveinaz wrote: »
    In other news, the other 49 states have power. LOL

Even West Virginia !
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office |Cocktail Audio X14 | KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • Tony MTony M Posts: 8,370
    I'm sure glad to have been born when A/C was just invented along with refrigerators and ice trays. I remember NO A/C at all when I was younger. I rarely stayed indoors.

When we have power outages here in NC., I look back to those days and wonder how my parents generation handled it and then the generation before them...It sure is tough in these humid states!

I do know a breeze through the open window helps one to fall asleep if your head is right there.

Also to not have lights is very bad. But I know a guy who went to bed when it got dark. He uses a fan in the summer. He's a REAL frugal guy from the past! He's the only one I know that lives like that, that doesn't have to at all. But he's happy! He's about 70 now I guess and living in Amsterdam by now.

To not have electricity for a couple or 3 days is something that anybody in the USA should NOT have to experience. I think of the homeless right now. People with well pumps, no water! That's got to suck!

I wish all those that have to go through this hardship all the best. I saw on TV the food that people had move to other towns or just throw away a couple or more weeks ago. Restaurants shutting down for 2 or 3 days is devastating to them!

All affected by the power shut-downs...I wish you the best. :'(
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,601
    Our ol' neighborhood in Milpitas had underground AC power lines. Houses were built ca. 1978.

• afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,876
    Who's to blame? We will never know. There's big big money dictating what you will and will not know.
  • afterburntafterburnt Posts: 5,876
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Our ol' neighborhood in Milpitas had underground AC power lines. Houses were built ca. 1978.

My guess is this is shutting down transmition more than local distribution
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,275
    Power still on. Keep fingers crossed. :)
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 43,106
    Good luck Bud
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Dennis GardnerDennis Gardner Posts: 4,804
    If my power company in Oklahoma had to cut power every time the winds blows, my electric bill would be around $7.00 for the whole year.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
    So far no issues. Can’t comment on other areas, but I assume it sucks if their power is off. The only good thing from this is we will end up with a better power system that is not profit driven. Climate change has s c r e w e d up the environment, and we need to adapt.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

My guess is this is shutting down transmition more than local distribution

Yes, of course, I just meant that it's surprising that, in 2019, there's any above-ground power left in CA -- at least, in the 'civilized' regions.

We moved back East in 1991... that's a while ago. 237 wasn't even all a freeway in those days. :p

All this being said, the earthquake situation in the Bay Area is probably a disincentive for burying major utilities. Our house in Milpitas was about a tenth of a mile from the Hayward Fault. :o
  • sucks2bemesucks2beme Posts: 4,928
    I've dealt with public and private power.
    The best one was a co-operative.
    No politics, no Corp greed. But members needed to
    Get involved.

"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
    We have a co-op here in Lee County FL (LCEC) rates are low service is fine. 8.5 cents per kwh for first thousand kwh. Every year FP&L tries to take them over but never seems to get the votes.

HT:Polk LSiM 706 LSiM 705's VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's| Marantz AV7704 | Sunfire TGA-7401 | Oppo UDP 203 | Sony PS4 Pro| Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | SVS PB13 Ultra | MIT EXP 2's (Fronts & Center)

ManCave: Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro | Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's | Usher BE-616 Center | SVS Ultra Surrounds | SVS SB4000 Sub | SVS SB2000 Sub | Oppo UDP 203 | MIT Shotgun S3's | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life | Samsung 50" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 | Bluesound Node |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 |
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,848
    This is really sad and I don't envy you, BlueFox, it sucks hard core.

What also sucks is that a problem like this was allowed to get to this point in the first place and now, everybody just wants to point fingers and throw petty fits instead of coming together and solving the problem.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
    df1k4orxlylq.png

LOL, now that's funny. Bud has electricity/weed/wine and a kick butt stereo....he should be picking up chicks like crazy. :)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1430
    Tad 803 speakers
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,582
    He’s SOL on that front because he doesn’t have a Ferrari, Lambo, or a Porsche... I wont speculate on the man’s other junk. I like Bud, and that would not be right.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
    tonyb wrote: »

LOL, now that's funny. Bud has electricity/weed/wine and...

Speaking of LOL George -- puts me to mind of a great Feat song :)

• steveinazsteveinaz Posts: 19,083
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The only good thing from this is we will end up with a better power system that is not profit driven. Climate change has s c r e w e d up the environment, and we need to adapt.

What are you blabbering about? LOL
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amplifier: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: PSB Imagine T2
    Since power might be shutoff Saturday night (tonight) I decided to play it safe. So, while it is now 12:44PM Saturday, I haven’t been to bed yet for Friday. If the power is shutoff tonight I should sleep through it. :)

That's the spirit when they give you lemons... make lemon meringue pie.... just don't sleep thru the sirens.

• joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,714
    tonyb wrote: »
    df1k4orxlylq.png

LOL, now that's funny. Bud has electricity/weed/wine and a kick butt stereo....he should be picking up chicks like crazy. :)

Then they hear MM or Gaga and run the other way...
    Lol! J.k Bud. I’m just jealous.

In seriousness I do hope all you cats out there in CA stay safe. @Clipdat sent me some very scary video from out there.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
    edited October 27
    I heard that there are 2.3 million without power in CA now. That's a big deal, even in a state as populous as CA.

kxdpkanaqedb.png
    Near the Carquinez Bridge :/

Interesting times.

Remember Day of the Locust?
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Day_of_the_Locust
    (albeit referring to Southern rather than Northern CA)

Yes, it is a big mess. Fortunately, the SF Bay Area is fire free now, but North and South of us the fires are intense. Interestingly, it appears two fires were started by PG&E power lines that had not been shutdown. Good luck to all affected.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • joecoulsonjoecoulson Posts: 3,714
    Glad you are safe Bud.
    Hope all others on here who live in the vicinity of the fires take care.
    That’s serious business. We had the Gatlinburg TN fire hit just above us here and the video coming out of there of folks trying to leave and getting trapped were very scary.
    Auralic Vega G1/Rega TT/Denon SACD - Parasound P6 - PS Audio M700x2 - Elac Adante AF-61 - AQ Niagara 5000 - SVS SB16u
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,288
    Fortunately, the SF Bay Area is fire free now

Nope.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,288
    LATEST: Oct. 28, 11:30 a.m.: PG&E equipment may have sparked multiple weekend fires

Reports issued by PG&E indicate their equipment may have been responsible for two fires that burned over the weekend.

The electrical incident reports, released by the California Public Utilities Commission on Monday, indicate two fires in Lafayette started at about the same time as a PG&E transformer malfunctioned and a power pole fell over. A worker cited in PG&E's report said they were told by firefighters that contact between a power line and a communication line may have sparked a fire.

A Contra Costa Fire Protection District spokesman said calls came in 3 p.m. for a fire near Highway 24 at Pleasant Hill Road and a fire on the north side of Highway 24 at Camino Diablo. The Lafayette Tennis Club building was destroyed in one blaze. A home's roof was damaged and one outbuilding also suffered fire damage.

Power was not shut off in the area at the time of the fires, The Chronicle reports.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."