found on side of road for trash pick up

was walking with my friend yesterday to the store was amazing day found a ten dollar bill in the parking lot as well,but at the end of my street i seen what i thought was speakers instant ear perk they looked in good shape told him on the way home i am getting those they were sitting with trash cans and it was trash day so his friend happen to ride up and we got a ride i grabbed them got them home and did some research and they are polk audio studio m10 i think and are in amazing condition 1-2 corners very minor scruffs will add picks if i can as new user.otlaqgkcjabf.jpg
the four smaller speakers are seized up i have tapped themand they are solid the woofers seemed to be in good shape though. quick question on using these or testing them i tried to use some thin speaker wire to the rca jacks on my tv just to see if they made any kind of sound and nothing but i kinda assumed they needed a amp of some kind maybe i am wrong the caps in the back look good to me still has a service date on the crossover will upload that pick as well b95caj643ubk.jpg
htun0u8dyii8.jpg

Comments

• Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 19
    any and all comments and suggestions for testing and repair on this awesome find is greatly appreciated.
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    There is a member here that fixes the woofers. Somebody will let you know who it is, I can't remember. I think lawdogg. Otherwise you'll have to buy replacements on eBay.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Check the fuses and clean the contacts.

You can't use RCA ports to power a speaker, you need an amp. (Don't get started on the "they did it on vintage low-fi systems" BS, I know all about that already)
  • Redneck
    no the rca thing was just a try it and see thing that was the only output i had from my tv the fuses looked fine to me the contacts didn't look to bad kinda flat color not shiny will hit them up with some fine grit sandpaper and see what that does
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    You cannot drive a speaker with the audio output RCA jacks on a TV. Those are for connecting to a receiver.

Do not use any grit of sandpaper to clean the fuse or holder. A pencil eraser will do in a pinch, but a contact cleaner is the ticket.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Redneck
    don't worry did not sand anything down yet wanna kinda get my head wrapped around the whole process before i get started was a nuclear engineer in oak ridge so i like to tinker and am a old speaker nut have been happier that a puppy with two peters since i found these speakers do not wanna rush anything.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Welcome to Club Polk, good luck on the restoration.
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Redneck...Oak Ridge...are you in TN? I'm in Nashville.

Basically what has happened is the voice coils at the base of the cones are pinched between the pole and the magnet ring. The glue holding the magnets is a known weakness in these speakers, and with some jarring, they break loose, slide into the steel pole, and seize the voice coil/cone.

If the coils themselves aren't damaged (still have continuity), the woofers can be repaired by prying the back plate/pole piece away from the magnet, and then realign with proper adhesive. This is easier said than done, and requires a jig (and some nerve) to do, but is very doable.

I've repaired several myself, so if you're close by, let me know, and maybe I can help. These are well-worth saving. You've probably noticed by now how substantial the cabinets are, and they have good internal bracing as well. Hopefully the tweeters work.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Good post.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Codswallop? Nah, poppycock.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Hogwash? Balderdash? Malarkey? :p
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Falderol
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Y’alls ignent!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Falderol
    Heigh-ho the carrion crow
    folderol de riddle...
    Heigh-ho the carrion crow
    bow and bend to me.

https://youtu.be/NVqArOogY-c
    (skip to about 2 minutes to avoid the flapdoodle*

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    How do we know the mids are froze up, if he hasn't put any power to them yet to see if they even work ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Nightfall
    Physically pressing in on them.

• TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,261
    Redneck wrote: »
    was a nuclear engineer in oak ridge
    We're almost neighbors. I live in Kingston. I use to own a pair of monitor 10s myself. Good sounding speakers.
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Redneck...Oak Ridge...are you in TN? I'm in Nashville.
    Good to know there are more Tennessee boys on here. :)

• SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited October 2019
    You guys probably ran him off... :/
  • Nightfall
    edited October 2019
    If I tell you your spelling sucks will you leave too?

I'm just joking.

• ddog
    ddog Posts: 230
    edited October 2019
    Nightfall wrote: »
    If I tell you your spelling sucks will you leave too?

I'm just joking.

**************!

Just joking. :)
  • Redneck
    my sisters and mother live in Harriman in the historic cornstalk heights district
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    Nice find!
    I like road-side stereo stuff. ;):p
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Tony M wrote: »
    Nice find!
    I like road-side stereo stuff. ;):p

I'd be listening to a clock radio were it not for road side find stereo ;)
  • xschop
    xschop Posts: 4,636
    There's always ebay.... Curb side finds with shipping costs.
    Don't take experimental gene therapies from known eugenicists.
  • Redneck
    well i have a way to test them, found a magnavox stereo amplifier FA-1471 for free in the salvation army biggies outside they said it didn't work came home and cleaned it up and it fired right up the tweeters and the and the right small speaker makes sound even though it feels like the voice coil is froze up the speaker will not move but it makes sound. i am about to pull the crossovers and make sure the subs are even hooked up after that i am not sure what to do.
  • Redneck
    yeah i thought about ebay and looked it up found a single empty box with baffle material going for 120.00 bucks was like hell yeah, but the tinkerer in me won't let me sell them plus the condition they are in for being so old i am keeping them and fixing them have been in the market for a set of speakers and these fit the bill love old hifi stuff might even rebuild this amp because the 2 paint can size caps it has in it have been leaking so it maybe on it's last leg and the subs not working maybe do to something in the amp as well so i need to do some research on the amp before i start tearing into the speakers.
  • Redneck
    ok i have installed countless high powered subs and amps in cars. I just opened up the subs on these boxes and this has to be some kind of joke, or maybe the mids cause the sub to kick passively no clue but it is just a frame with a fake cone in it no magnet almost threw it expecting it to be heavier when i pulled it out of the box.can some one enlighten me on the sub woofer situation please
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I believe those are passive bass radiators.