found on side of road for trash pick up

Comments

• boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,451
    Its a passive radiator. Your speakers are in a sealed cabinet. The passive radiator produces bass...
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    You also have 2 working drivers. If you LIGHTLY push the two MW active drivers in - with 2 of your fingers EVENLY & they dont move OR they feel scratchy - your driver is froze OR the voice coil is out of wack.. The 30+ year old glue that holds the magnet to the basket has let go. Replace driver with the CORRECT one (not just any Polk MW××××. Or repair if your up for a challenge
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I believe those are passive bass radiators.

My bad. I didnt turn the page
    Randy/Maine
  • Redneck
    Redneck Posts: 19
    The comments on my punctuation are not appreciated i know my punctuation sucks i made 130k a year making nuclear thermocouples and other parts for Nasa and other countries never had to worry about punctuation just had to know the science and math and i have 2 masters degrees just skimmed by in english so you don't have to point out my weekness already know it plus was asking about help with speakers not an english lesson.
  • boston1450
    Your good. You dont need to be rich to enjoy music. Welcome to the forum
    Randy/Maine
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited October 2019
    The passive radiator is another method used to tune a resonant enclosure, and is functionally analogous to a bass reflex port (believe it or not) -- the mass of the passive radiator serves the same purpose (from a physical/mathematical standpoint) as the mass of air that occupies the volume of the port in an 'ordinary' bass reflex speaker enclosure.

The PR does not "produce" bass per se, but it does (i.e., should!) tune the enclosure to maximize the bass extension that the system (drivers plus enclosure) produces.
  • TennMan
    TennMan Posts: 1,264
    Redneck wrote: »
    The comments on my punctuation are not appreciated i know my punctuation sucks i made 130k a year making nuclear thermocouples and other parts for Nasa and other countries never had to worry about punctuation just had to know the science and math and i have 2 masters degrees just skimmed by in english so you don't have to point out my weekness already know it plus was asking about help with speakers not an english lesson.

Did you work at Y-12 or ORNL?
    • SDA 2BTL · Sonicaps · Mills resistors · RDO-198s · New gaskets · H-nuts · Erse inductors · BH5 · Dynamat
    • Crossover upgrades by westmassguy
    • Marantz 1504 AVR (front speaker pre-outs to Adcom 555)
    • Adcom GFA-555 amp · Upgrades & speaker protection added by OldmanSRS
    • Pioneer DV-610AV DVD/CD player
    • SDA CRS+ · Hidden away in the closet
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,549
    edited October 2019
    It's called a passive radiator and they work good. Yes the magnets are well known to slip and lock up the voice coil. All is fixable either buy used speakers or one of our members here can realign them @lawdogg. The speakers have numbers on the paper on the back. MW65xx you may be able to buy some used on ebay
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,647
    it's not a subwoofer it's a passive radiator and it doesn't have wires or a magnet it radiates base from the pressure of the mids inside a sealed cabinet.
  • Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,013
    We're never too old to learn something new, are we?

I'm still up for learning new stuff. I just have to get off my old a** and learn!

I learned here on the forum;

Air is Fluid. ;)
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,781
    Unfortunately for you, you still haven't learned how to send a PM.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,067
    Humble brag.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    edited October 2019

If you are aware of said issue (and you are obviously not an unlearned individual given your profession), what not do something to alleviate the problem? Every success starts with an attempt.

As a start, try this: read your intended post out loud. When you reach the end of a thought, place a period. If you find yourself pausing to take a breath, place a comma.
    Post edited by FestYboy on
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251

LOL. Only corporate welfare would pay you $130k a year. If you can’t even compose a sentence then how do expect anyone to think you were employable?
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,021
    edited October 2019
    Cats are fluid.

da64gdqlpx29.png

5h0zzkl6k8fl.png
  • Redneck
    I am up for the challenge would love to keep all the same factory parts in the same boxes. I am just trying to wrap my head around redoing the voicecoil or w/e. I want to get some donor speakers to practice on so i do screw these up.
  • Please keep us posted on your progress.
  • pitdogg2
    What are the MW65XX number on your drivers? ?
  • boston1450
    Ivan does all Monitor 10's model MW's in a single cabinet have the same MW's ? I've had 2 different series. But cant remember.... either way. The OP should check to make sure they are "correct" because - I've came across many that are "incorrect" MW drivers that someone just dropped in em
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    edited October 2019
    Yes they were mw6501 early and mw6503 on the later models.
    One of the reasons I've asked more than once Randy. MW6501 are very hard to come by. MW6503 are easier but not by much and still pop up on eBay from time to time. I'd hate to see him waste time on the wrong driver for the speaker as well.

Here's the deal I've always thought the mw6600 and mw6501 were so close they could have been interchangeable. Many older speakers came with mw6600 first then mw6501 later with no xo change. My SDA1signatures came with mw6600 in 3 positions and a mw6501 in the dimensional spot schematics for that same speaker had them listed as either all MW 6501 or all MW 6600. Many here hoard drivers and I know a person who has many.

But I'm not going to keep hounding for an answer.

The very last monitor 10 came with the SL3000 tweeter but the drivers both were still mw6503
  • Faustin
    Faustin Posts: 1,149
    Just an FYI, my 10's with the Peerless tweeter, circa 1979 had the MW6500 drivers.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,678
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Cats are fluid.
    :o

mwa0vcapv52r.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    Faustin wrote: »
    Just an FYI, my 10's with the Peerless tweeter, circa 1979 had the MW6500 drivers.

You know I thought so but all the old papers (schematics) I just looked at did not have them listed so I errored on the side of caution. Thanks for the confirmation brah.
  • boston1450
    Yup. Good info there. I got quite a few spares too. Some I wont let go of.... The OP should definitely put a bead of glue on each side of the magnet to prevent magnet shifting-while he is in there.
    Randy/Maine
  • pitdogg2
    Viking64 wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    Cats are fluid.
    :o

mwa0vcapv52r.jpg

One cat or two???
  • pitdogg2
    boston1450 wrote: »
    Yup. Good info there. I got quite a few spares too. Some I wont let go of.... The OP should definitely put a bead of glue completely around the magnet to prevent magnet shifting-while he is in there.

Fixed it
  • boston1450
    Why. I'm French Canadian I only did it 1/2 way around :smiley:
    Randy/Maine
  • Redneck
    6500 last serviced 8/12/80
  • Redneck
    i have done a generalized search for replacement voice coils,do i need specific ones. I want it to be as close or better than stock and can not find anything for drop in replacements for this specific model. I can only find sites with them wanting to know specific dia of voice coil to replace. I do not own a set of calipers can anyone give me the diameter or the voice coil i need to buy or send me a link for a good a reliable source.