Thrift store 10b(s)? What do I have here?

jlthh1a1gvo2.jpeg
Just snatched these up at a local thrift for $40 and figured they were some kind of special. (New to vintage audio and Polk audio in general) Got Em home and actually looked at them compared to some online references. They don’t look the same. Help please!

Comments

• SIHAB
    SIHAB Posts: 4,491
    Nice pickup. Hope you like them.
    Speakers: Polk Lsim, ATC SCM19 v2, NHT SuperzeroSpeaker Cables: DH Labs, Transparent, Wireworld, Canare, Monster: Beer budget, Bose ears
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    edited October 2019
    Monitor 10s with SL1000 tweeters. Unsure how to know which revision though. Someone will chime in.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Pop them out and read the printing/sticker on the magnet.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Thanks all! I’ll be sure to do that.
    Also fuses are blown on the back. 1a is what was in there, I have some 1 1/2a fuses on hand. Any chance I’ll ruin anything by running a bigger fuse or should I order in some 1a fuses?
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    Yes, they are there to protect the crossovers from surges. If you use a hotter fuse, it could break components in the crossovers and then you're looking at an expensive rebuild if you're not handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagrams. Fuses are cheap and can be found at any auto parts store.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Yes, they are there to protect the crossovers from surges. If you use a hotter fuse, it could break components in the crossovers and then you're looking at an expensive rebuild if you're not handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagrams. Fuses are cheap and can be found at any auto parts store.
    Heard that. Just grabbed the keys and I’m out the door!

• Update: one tweeter is inoperable.
    Any tips on diagnosing the problem? Should I just replace the one bad one? Both? Etc.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Swap the tweeters to see if the issue follows.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• F1nut wrote: »
    Swap the tweeters to see if the issue follows.
    Very good idea.

• The problem stays with the speaker after switching tweeters
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    That's with the new fuse?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Correct. New fuse as well.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,044
    Crossover rehab time.
    Worth it for those.
  • tonyp063 wrote: »
    Crossover rehab time.
    Worth it for those.
    Looks like I’m going to learn a lot about vintage audio. Kind of excited though.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    Hook up the "bad" tweeter directly to your amp and play it at a VERY low volume (barely moving the dial). If you get no sound or scratchy/distorted sound your tweeter is bad. Rebuilding the crossovers is always a good idea but its not going to save a dead tweeter.
  • boston1450
    boston1450 Posts: 7,438
    edited October 2019
    ^^^ I think he said it stayed with speaker. So I'd check fuse connection/clean & wires first & then crossover
    Randy/Maine
  • boston1450 wrote: »
    ^^^ I think he said it stayed with speaker. So I'd check fuse connection/clean & wires first & then crossover
    It stayed with the speaker, that’s correct. I just cleaned the fuse terminals with a towel and some isopropyl alcohol. No change. Still dead.

• Looks like I’m rebuilding... Any videos or things I can read to help out with learning this stuff? I’ve got some minor electrical background, never done this before though. I’d like to do these speakers justice.
  • delkal
    delkal Posts: 764
    edited October 2019
    boston1450 wrote: »

Well so much for my reading comprehension (and I didn't even get out the scotch yet).

Then the first thing I would do is swap the fuses and retest. I have got a bad fuse before. Then its would be time to pull the crossover and check the continuity between the input and the board. Also look for cooked resistors (you can text them with a multimeter) or bulged caps (harder to test without an ESR meter but they are bad so just replace)

• Tony M
    Tony M Posts: 11,009
    What do you have?

You have a model of Monitor 10's similar to the ones I bought from a goodwill store for 24.00pr. that started a 15+years long journey into audio heaven. :p

Those 10's still make jaws drop when I play them for people.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
  • Tony M wrote: »
    What do you have?

You have a model of Monitor 10's similar to the ones I bought from a goodwill store for 24.00pr. that started a 15+years long journey into audio heaven. :p

Those 10's still make jaws drop when I play them for people.

i am very very excited to get them running at full potential. i can feel myself possibly catching the bug just the same.
  • tonyp063 wrote: »

Awesome. Will do. Thanks!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    I can't decide if I really like or really dislike the OP's moniker.

:*

• Tony M
    I think it's worse than a political statement. And since it's not political, it must be ok. :D
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting. I had the same thoughts too. But, it is rather provocative, and a direct inference to verbiage that is banned here. Not my thing.

BTW welcome Mr Yes! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting. I had the same thoughts too. But, it is rather provocative, and a direct inference to verbiage that is banned here. Not my thing.

BTW welcome Mr Yes! :)

Hey thanks! Glad to be here.
    And to possibly alleviate any tension...it’s not by any means a statement. Haha Popped in my a couple years back, and it’s been my username for multiple platforms since as it is rarely taken and I assume makes people chuckle a bit. 🤷🏽‍♀️
  • Tony M
    It does read better than "nuck fo". :D