Thrift store 10b(s)? What do I have here?

jlthh1a1gvo2.jpeg
Just snatched these up at a local thrift for $40 and figured they were some kind of special. (New to vintage audio and Polk audio in general) Got Em home and actually looked at them compared to some online references. They don’t look the same. Help please!

Comments

• SIHABSIHAB Posts: 1,516
    Nice pickup. Hope you like them.
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,505
    edited October 21
    Monitor 10s with SL1000 tweeters. Unsure how to know which revision though. Someone will chime in.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,821
    Pop them out and read the printing/sticker on the magnet.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • yuck_fesyuck_fes Posts: 18
    Thanks all! I’ll be sure to do that.
    Also fuses are blown on the back. 1a is what was in there, I have some 1 1/2a fuses on hand. Any chance I’ll ruin anything by running a bigger fuse or should I order in some 1a fuses?
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,821
    Yes, they are there to protect the crossovers from surges. If you use a hotter fuse, it could break components in the crossovers and then you're looking at an expensive rebuild if you're not handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagrams. Fuses are cheap and can be found at any auto parts store.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Yes, they are there to protect the crossovers from surges. If you use a hotter fuse, it could break components in the crossovers and then you're looking at an expensive rebuild if you're not handy with a soldering iron and wiring diagrams. Fuses are cheap and can be found at any auto parts store.
    Heard that. Just grabbed the keys and I’m out the door!

Update: one tweeter is inoperable.
    Any tips on diagnosing the problem? Should I just replace the one bad one? Both? Etc.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,966
    Swap the tweeters to see if the issue follows.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

F1nut wrote: »
    Swap the tweeters to see if the issue follows.
    Very good idea.

The problem stays with the speaker after switching tweeters
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,505
    That's with the new fuse?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
    Correct. New fuse as well.
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 686
    Crossover rehab time.
    Worth it for those.
    tonyp063 wrote: »
    Crossover rehab time.
    Worth it for those.
    Looks like I’m going to learn a lot about vintage audio. Kind of excited though.
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 595
    Hook up the "bad" tweeter directly to your amp and play it at a VERY low volume (barely moving the dial). If you get no sound or scratchy/distorted sound your tweeter is bad. Rebuilding the crossovers is always a good idea but its not going to save a dead tweeter.
  • boston1450boston1450 Posts: 6,500
    edited October 21
    ^^^ I think he said it stayed with speaker. So I'd check fuse connection/clean & wires first & then crossover
    Randy / Maine
    SDA-CRS+ 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Stands w/Polk Logo & Spiked nicely
    RTA15TL 198 tweeters. WMG upgraded crossovers.
    Larry's rings. Gloss tops shine. Spiked nicely
    Cs1000p-Yamaha-Parasound-Acurus
    MIT speaker cables-Pangea powercords
    boston1450 wrote: »
    ^^^ I think he said it stayed with speaker. So I'd check fuse connection/clean & wires first & then crossover
    It stayed with the speaker, that’s correct. I just cleaned the fuse terminals with a towel and some isopropyl alcohol. No change. Still dead.

Looks like I’m rebuilding... Any videos or things I can read to help out with learning this stuff? I’ve got some minor electrical background, never done this before though. I’d like to do these speakers justice.
  • delkaldelkal Posts: 595
    edited October 21
    boston1450 wrote: »

Well so much for my reading comprehension (and I didn't even get out the scotch yet).

Then the first thing I would do is swap the fuses and retest. I have got a bad fuse before. Then its would be time to pull the crossover and check the continuity between the input and the board. Also look for cooked resistors (you can text them with a multimeter) or bulged caps (harder to test without an ESR meter but they are bad so just replace)

• Tony MTony M Posts: 8,358
    What do you have?

You have a model of Monitor 10's similar to the ones I bought from a goodwill store for 24.00pr. that started a 15+years long journey into audio heaven. :p

Those 10's still make jaws drop when I play them for people.
    Most people just listen to music and watch movies. I EXPERIENCE them.
    Tony M wrote: »
    What do you have?

You have a model of Monitor 10's similar to the ones I bought from a goodwill store for 24.00pr. that started a 15+years long journey into audio heaven. :p

Those 10's still make jaws drop when I play them for people.

i am very very excited to get them running at full potential. i can feel myself possibly catching the bug just the same.
    tonyp063 wrote: »

Awesome. Will do. Thanks!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,454
    I can't decide if I really like or really dislike the OP's moniker.

:*

I think it's worse than a political statement. And since it's not political, it must be ok. :D
  • verbverb Posts: 8,009
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting. I had the same thoughts too. But, it is rather provocative, and a direct inference to verbiage that is banned here. Not my thing.

BTW welcome Mr Yes! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS, Cary SLP-05 Pre, Enlightened Audio Designs CD Transport, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Digital Cable, Marantz SA-14 SACD, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, Wireworld Oasis 8 RCA IC's, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, PASS ACA Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: , Antique Sound Labs Wave AV-8 Monoblocks, Tisbury Mini Passive Pre, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    verb wrote: »
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Interesting. I had the same thoughts too. But, it is rather provocative, and a direct inference to verbiage that is banned here. Not my thing.

BTW welcome Mr Yes! :)

Hey thanks! Glad to be here.
    And to possibly alleviate any tension...it’s not by any means a statement. Haha Popped in my a couple years back, and it’s been my username for multiple platforms since as it is rarely taken and I assume makes people chuckle a bit. 🤷🏽‍♀️
    It does read better than "nuck fo". :D