RT1000i new to me - 1 buzzing, 1 sub no sound

I have always wanted a pair of these since seeing them in crutchfield ages ago, and I grabbed them for what I felt was cheap enough. Hopefully not a money pit like my Audi's...

1 is buzzing, i have read that is most likely the 2 4700uF 25V caps (C20 and C21). I have 4 on order hoping it solves the buzzing for this one.

The other speaker has a very light humming (60 hz from transformer I assume), no sound from the woofer, LED is lit. At least 1 of the 4700uF 25V has leaked. Hoping that is the issue. There did appear to be a hot spot on the board at U4, which is damaged. Also getting U4 and U5 possibly C18 and C19 as well to see if this solves the issues.

thanks in advance for your thoughts or other suggestions.

IvfaLw8l.jpg
Fwww1IRl.jpg

Comments

• tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    No offense meant here, but obviously these were used and abused. Plus they weren't exactly stand outs in the Polk line up of speakers. You may be wasting your time, efforts and money. Polk has so many better sounding speakers for not a lot of coin.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • cu52
    cu52 Posts: 2
    tonyb wrote: »
    No offense meant here, but obviously these were used and abused. Plus they weren't exactly stand outs in the Polk line up of speakers. You may be wasting your time, efforts and money. Polk has so many better sounding speakers for not a lot of coin.

tonyb Thanks for the response, I see lots of mixed reviews on these, but I figured if I can toss a few bucks at them for some parts and a little time soldering ill be pretty happy with them.

So far fixed the buzzing on the 1 unit with replacing the C20 and C21 capacitors. I got the rest of the parts and will be seeing if I can fix the other unit this week and will update.