Sound United to buy Onkyo and Pioneer

Options
13»

Comments

• FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    That would be a no on the internal amplification, though there may be an external XO box (purely conjecture here) as I did not see an IC port... Though that may have been the third set of binding posts I saw?? Unfortunately they were not wired up at the time, so who knows ( besides Polk of course)?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited June 2019
    Options
    FestYboy wrote: »
    That would be a no on the internal amplification, though there may be an external XO box (purely conjecture here) as I did not see an IC port... Though that may have been the third set of binding posts I saw?? Unfortunately they were not wired up at the time, so who knows ( besides Polk of course)?

Depends on how final of a prototype it were -- that said, in fairness, even an alpha version would likely be configured for its ultimate format (i.e., a blank cutout for the future on-board amp) if that were the ultimate goal. So, yeah, you're likely correct.

As "evidence" (strictly anecdotal, I do realize!) I know a guy who designs amps (and signal processing) for powered loudspeakers for a living (independent contractor who does work for some big names). His work is all done "outboard", but when he has a test mule from one of his clients, there's usually a placeholder plate installed where the on-board amp and associated electronics will ultimately go.

All this being said, the temptation for loudspeaker manufacturers to have total control over performance of their product (i.e., on-board amplification and EQ) has got to be extreme in this day and age.

• rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    The article says August as I recall... highly doubt that we will see a demo round like they did for the LSiM

Guess I missed that in the article.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,043
    edited October 2019
    Options

so... wonder what Onkyo's gonna do now?
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    Options
    good!

let there be some competition the will keep em all on their toes. Now someone with brains needs to run Onkyo.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    mrloren wrote: »
    good!

let there be some competition the will keep em all on their toes. Now someone with brains needs to run Onkyo.

What happened to the guy on here repping Carver's new tube amps? Wasn't he in charge of Onkyo at some point? Isn't he, like, the be all-end all audio guru??? :p
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,576
    Options
    Yea he should buy them and build them up like he did in the past. They could use a man like that...
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    Options
    Ummm...this is actually kind of a bad thing.

Onkyo has been looking for a buyer for some time now and before this Sound United deal was supposed to go down they were looking at a Chapter 11 dissolution meaning no more Onkyo or Pioneer.

Yeah competition is nice...if the competition can actually compete.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,100
    Options
    So that means Frank can buy them on the cheap and put sonic Holography in them...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson