Sound United to buy Onkyo and Pioneer

Options

Comments

• halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Options
    What about Anthem? Outlaw? Emotiva?
    Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,369
    Options
    Arcam, Sony, Cambridge, NAD also all still market receivers of their own design. Granted that with the exception of Sony they don't cater to the budget market.

I am wondering what happened with Pioneer's TAD line of speakers. Those were impressive!
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,030
    Options
    The TAD business, AFAIK, is still going strong. It is (or was?) also Pioneer's (erstwhile) pro/commercial driver business.
    http://www.technicalaudiodevices.com/company

Some fine products over the years -- not inexpensive, tho'. B)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    I just realized that, with this acquisition, Sound United will most likely adapt a new corporate slogan.
    All Your Bass Are Belong To Us

B)
  • mdaudioguy
    mdaudioguy Posts: 5,165
    Options
    I don't think they'll completely integrate all the brands. The advantage to keeping them somewhat autonomous is that they can be spun-off separately sometime down the road, if desired. But, I haven't predicted anything else correctly in my earlier assessments of SU acquisitions...
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,094
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Now all they need to do is acquire Bob Carver Corp, and FMalitz can be our new moderator in chief. And of course lets not forget the Carver tube sound bar with Alexa and Sonic Holography built in.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    God forbid!!!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• deronb1
    deronb1 Posts: 5,021
    Options
    Sony, Sherwood, Cambridge Audio, Nad, Anthem, Arcam....
  • displayname
    displayname Posts: 1,129
    Options
    For everyone tossing out Arcam, they were acquired by Harman. I'd imagine they've released most products that were in development prior to the acquisition, and I'd expect them to become slightly beefier versions of the current Harman Kardon lines in the future. They needed a mid-fi brand to close the gap between modern HK and Mark Levinson. We'll see how long they let that brand stay in that position before they water down the brand with more affordable releases.
    Analog: MoFi MasterTracker > MoFi UltraDeck > Sutherland 20/20
    Digital: Cambridge CXC / Streaming > Cambridge CXN v2
    MastersounD Dueventi > Rosso Fiorentino Certaldo or Arcam rHead > Hifiman HE4XX
    Discogs
  • Rich502
    Rich502 Posts: 146
    Options
    Wow, serious consolidation in the mass market audio game. Also, isn’t Harman owned by Samsung now?
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    Rich502 wrote: »
    Wow, serious consolidation in the mass market audio game. Also, isn’t Harman owned by Samsung now?

Yes, for some time, actually (spring 2017).

https://www.zdnet.com/article/samsung-completes-8-billion-harman-acquisition/
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    New brand on the way. Polkonkanier with Denon SU control. It's gonna be hot. Has me rethinking getting the Vega G2!!!😂😄🎩

Polkonanier sounds like some kind of high-tech, must-have cycling accessory -- or maybe something used by the top-flight rock wall climbers.

:|

As a cyclist, I’m offended!

We actually still chase independent companies...

Why else would I pay soo much money for wheels built in N.C.?!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    Options
    For everyone tossing out Arcam, they were acquired by Harman. I'd imagine they've released most products that were in development prior to the acquisition, and I'd expect them to become slightly beefier versions of the current Harman Kardon lines in the future. They needed a mid-fi brand to close the gap between modern HK and Mark Levinson. We'll see how long they let that brand stay in that position before they water down the brand with more affordable releases.

And Harman International itself was purchased by Samsung.
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    Options
    Good discussion on Sound United.
    Sad that they were both surprised Polk had a good speaker in the LsiM. How long has it been out? They both had never heard it.

https://youtu.be/hkwDpGPoWHg
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    edited June 2019
    Options
    The Polk discussion starts at about 28:50
    Also it sounds like they have seen new product from Polk that is unreleased.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    Options
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,559
    Options
    If you read between the lines it sure looks that way. I hope they do it right.
  • mhardy6647
    Options
    F1nut wrote: »

meh, it's just an effect.

:#

5j4uci2vhku2.png

Is that a really big amplifier in the back -- or is that just a poster?

B)

• mhardy6647
    Options
    In seriousness - is it coming back, or is it being recreated using DSP?

On the plus side, (and, again, in total seriousness), the modern incremental revelation technique of marketing is working -- we're talking about it! :)

• Emlyn
    Options
    If the photo I saw was an SDA speaker, it looks like they were angled backwards a bit for time alignment. Not sure.
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    There is a lot of tech out there that Polk hasn't used in twenty years... SRT being among them. SDA itself, as it existed back in the day, has not been used for almost 30 years.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • FestYboy
    FestYboy Posts: 3,861
    Options
    Ok well since the cat's out of the bag, I can talk about what I saw in detail at the MD office. As I stated before in another thread, it's similar to the SRS 1 in configuration except there is no PR, it's now an active woofer. There is (was) a central spine that runs between the tweets and MWs. I suspect this is to take more advantage of side wall reflection ala Bose? The prototype at the time was capable of tri-amplification, I suspect that will not be the end result, but who knows. The finish was like bed liner, not sure if that will stay either. Look for updated LSiM tweets.

I won't be able to afford them.... :/
  • Emlyn
    edited June 2019
    Options
    I would hope they don't decide to have a routine 50 percent off sale if they hit the market!

Am very interested to see what they are in final production. Who knows, they could be my "end game" speaker. Could be the active woofer is for DSP purposes and room gain matching where a passive radiator may not be as good in performance. I also hope they are not too big, but if it is a single design in the old 1C size that should be a good fit for most homes.
    Post edited by Emlyn on
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    Any guesstimates on release dates of this new line?
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    My guess is never. I just don’t see these guys supporting Polk.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • rburgess714
    rburgess714 Posts: 616
    Options
    The article certainly eludes to it.
    Living Room
    Parasound HINT 6, Yamaha Aventage RX-A 1060, Oppo 103D, Cambridge Audio Azur 851N, KLH Model 5s, Polk CSi A6, Samsung 65" LED

Office
    Yamaha A-S501, Auralic Aries Mini, LSiM 703s

Douglas Connection ICs and Cables
  • nooshinjohn
    Options
    The article says August as I recall... highly doubt that we will see a demo round like they did for the LSiM

• mhardy6647
    edited June 2019
    Options
    They're working the bugs out of the Alexa interface.

:|

I reckon the end product'll be internally amplfied with ICEpower modules or similar, probably on-board DSP tuning, too.

I mean -- it is 2019.

Now, where did I put that darned jet pack?
  • nooshinjohn
    edited June 2019
    Options