Polk Signature Series Official Discussion

Comments

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    When I saw that GIF, I literally just died. :p
  • Ctxx24
    Ctxx24 Posts: 66
    Viking64 wrote: »
    When you hear that Monoprice 12 literally crush the VTF2, your head will literally explode.

When u have no clue... Lol might wana rethink things
  • Ctxx24
    When you hear that Monoprice 12 literally crush the VTF2, your head will literally explode.

If you wana be technical must ppl compare the vtf3 with the monolith 12..which I'd still take the Monolith but comparing it to the vtf2..thats like comparing a polk sub to anything top line..
  • Viking64
    Ctxx24 wrote: »
    If you wana be technical must ppl compare the vtf3 with the monolith 12..which I'd still take the Monolith but comparing it to the vtf2..thats like comparing a polk sub to anything top line..
    I have no idea what it is you are talking about. I might try to literally wrap my head around it, but I am afraid that would damage my skull and that I would literally, figuratively, and likely....die. I wonder if literally a million people would come to my funeral.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Starting to remind me of an Emo thread or 5.
  • Viking64
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    I literally could care less about this thread.....
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    lightman1 wrote: »
    I literally could care less about this thread.....

Yeah, now that it's gotten sidetrack.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • HTGuy
    HTGuy Posts: 5
    I love the sound of the S30 center channel speaker. I'm thinking about getting two more of them to use as the front L/R speakers in my 3.0 setup. Of course I'd have to turn them “sideways” and stand them up on end on speaker stands. What do think?
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    HTGuy wrote: »
    I love the sound of the S30 center channel speaker. I'm thinking about getting two more of them to use as the front L/R speakers in my 3.0 setup. Of course I'd have to turn them “sideways” and stand them up on end on speaker stands. What do think?

I’d suggest getting the S20s instead. They are a little smaller, and they are actually designed to be used as main L/R speakers.
  • Ctxx24
    HTGuy wrote: »

I have seen many people use centers and mains.. Also mains as centers.. I'm sure it would be fine although the driver in the s20 is over a inch bigger and will Def give you more punch.. If your using a sub I'd try It just cut your crossover off at like 100 or so let your sub do all the pounding..
  • jdavid
    jdavid Posts: 46
    Looking for advice on Signature speakers. Have small room 8x15 for home theatre for movies only. (since have stereo in larger room (audio refinement integrated, arcam cd and triangle celius). Want to upgrade from old 5.1 def tech pro cinema 80 and denon 1803 and old pioneer kuro plasma.)

Have pretty much decided on denon 3600h and RSL speedwoofer 10s - NEED ADVICE on POLK signature speakers.

Would it be better to use 5 S15s or at least left right and center all S15s and S10 rears, but does Center then have to be vertical , which I may be able to do , (despite aesthetics)? If Center S15 is placed horizontal would it be better instead to have S30 center and S15 left and right , and either S15 or S10 rears? Really appreciate thoughts from those familiar with the signature series. Thanks.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I would use the s20's as front left and right, s15's as surrounds and the s30 center. That will produce a much fuller sound than using the 15's as fronts.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdavid
    Thanks for such a quick response. I had read somewhere about an advantage to having front left and center identical, so that is why I asked. What do you think about two POLK mc60s in ceiling for Dolby Atmos in a room this size?
  • jdavid
    Forgot to mention ceiling is 7 and 1/2 feet.
  • tonyb
    jdavid wrote: »
    Thanks for such a quick response. I had read somewhere about an advantage to having front left and center identical, so that is why I asked. What do you think about two POLK mc60s in ceiling for Dolby Atmos in a room this size?

Having them all identical isn't going to matter much. Having them the same series would more, because of the voice matching, using the same tweeters. Personally, I think your room is a bit small for all those speakers, the atmos speakers are only going to throw an occasional ambient sound. But if you wanted them anyway, the 60's would do fine.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdavid
    Thanks - any specific suggestions for mounting installation - just place S30 on shelf at same height as s20s? Any recommendations for mounting/ installation of S20s somehow on wall if I want to avoid stands where unlike S15s no keyhole mounting?
  • tonyb
    The center doesn't have to be the same height as the fronts, just below the TV is good and not too close to the floor. Is there a certain reason why you don't want stands for the fronts ?
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdavid
    Appreciate your continued advice!
    We are renovating house including TV room and spouse would prefer no stands ( which I have now) she kindly accepted room placement of stereo speakers in another room, so if I can avoid stands for these I would.
    Is there some mounting device to place them on wall and avoid stands for S20s?
    Do they need to be a minimum distance off wall?
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

I mean, it might way a lot more... and/or, you know, if dropped from a sufficiently great height...

• jdavid
    Think you posted to wrong stream...
  • ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Think you posted to wrong stream...

It's OK as long as you don't cross them....
  • Many will recommend getting the front stage all the same (either 3 s15s or 3 s20s, etc) but you must keep the bookshelf center vertical and not turn it on its side. If you can't do it vertically, then just go with the s30 dedicated center.
  • tonyb
    Appreciate your continued advice!
    We are renovating house including TV room and spouse would prefer no stands ( which I have now) she kindly accepted room placement of stereo speakers in another room, so if I can avoid stands for these I would.
    Is there some mounting device to place them on wall and avoid stands for S20s?
    Do they need to be a minimum distance off wall?

Gotcha man, maybe someone else will chime in on wall mounts, the S20's are fairly hefty and would need a substantial wall mount. If, for that reason, you need to go with the 15's, then ya gotta do what ya gotta do.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • jdavid
    Topper, Thanks. Have you or anyone else heard/read of anyone actually use 3 vertical S15 or 3 S20s as fronts left right and center as part of a 5.1 system? I have only seen the idea very generally mentioned, nothing with signature 15 or 20 speakers ( or any others for that matter).
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Topper, Thanks. Have you or anyone else heard/read of anyone actually use 3 vertical S15 or 3 S20s as fronts left right and center as part of a 5.1 system? I have only seen the idea very generally mentioned, nothing with signature 15 or 20 speakers ( or any others for that matter).

If you go to Dolby or DTS theater room demo their tracks, it’s almost always 5-7 matching full range monitors, never a special “center” speaker. If you have the space that’s the ideal. But the key in those demo rooms is that that the speakers are really high end. With cheaper smaller speakers I think that center channels have an advantage. They usually have an extra driver and bigger cabinet and are voiced for midrange clarity.

In your situation the only way to know for sure is buy both and try it out! Return or sell the loser!
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • mrloren
    mrloren Posts: 2,454
    S20 is a big bookie that sounds great. I have both S15 (surrounds on main HT) and S20 (as mains in bedroom). I have tried both as main speakers in the main HT. S20 are a lot better than the S15 all around.

I don't think I would wall mount the S20, they are a big speaker
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.
    Family Room:LG QNED80 75", Onkyo RZ50 Emotiva XPA3 GEN3 Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM. Main: Polk LsiM 705Center: Polk LSiM 704CFront High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT Surrounds: Polk S15 Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5
    Bed Room; Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270Main: Polk Signature S20Center: Polk Signature S35Rear: Polk R15 Sub: SVS SB2000
    Working Warehouse; Yamaha A-S301, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc Plok TSX550T SVS PB2000 Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • jdavid
    Thanks.

What is your view of the difference in performance on wall mounting with a bracket v stands on the front left and right speakers? If mounted with brackets do speakers need to be a minimum distance out from back wall whether S15 or 20?
    ( Plan is to have them and S30 all at same tweeter height at ear level on assumption that is best?) How about the Wali dual side bracket for large speakers holding up to 55 pounds or what ever professional installer suggests?

In the room I described what are your thoughts on having two Polk MC 60 for Atmos in ceiling speakers- do you think room ( 8 x15 with 7 and 1/2 foot ceiling) just too small?
  • jdavid
    Where do you come down for my room on S35 v S30 by the way?