Amplifier Advice needed

Hello all,

I have the Polk RTI-A7 Speakers and a Yamaha reciever RXV-485.

I’m thinking about the NAD C368
Do you have any suggestions, because the speakers are power hungry!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• ken brydson
    ken brydson Posts: 8,640
    Your Yammy doesn't appear to have pre-outs to add an external amp....
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926

Ahh, there's the rub :(

lgwe7cwosjxe.png
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    The NAD C368 is an integrated with Dac. I am assuming the OP is going to replace the yammie with the Nad?!?
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited October 2019
    I'm a big fan of NAD and love my 906 amp. They always seem to play much louder than most would expect from their stated power output. Even when I use it un-bridged at 30 watts per channel it will play loud enough for most.
    I have even bridged two channels for 90 watts on a twin 10 inch sub and it did very very well.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    anonymouse wrote: »
    While NAD is a great brand, and I've owned a few pieces, you really do need a brutish amount of power for those speakers. Have you considered Peachtree Audio? You could get a used Nova for about the same price or less if you watch for them,

I beg to differ because what NAD sometimes lacks in the quantity of watts they make up for in quality. My C352 sounded better than anything else did on my LSi25s even up to insane levels (about 95-100 DB, maybe not crazy for some). maybe their digital series stuff isn't as brutish, but I kind of doubt that. :)

I may be a little hesitant with 9s, but you should be golden with the 7s (Probably golden with the 9s too, but less so. ;) )
  • rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    Following Micahs comment I would suggest an older big ole Nad integrated over that newer digital amp...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,892
    The NAD C368 is rated for 4Ω and even 2Ω, which is not only rare in this price range, but would tend to indicate that it does share some of the legendary NAD power capabilities (understated).

The RTi10 are 89dB efficient speakers rated at 8Ω, so other than the fact that they are large, they would not normally be considered especially hard to drive (which is invariably the case with RTi speakers).

There may be better solutions, but this one does not seem lacking prima facie, and may well yield surprising results, as is often the case with NAD components.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902

This ^^^

The second question should be, are you using them for HT or just music, or both ? Either way, that receiver isn't going to cut the mustard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable