Amplifier Advice needed

Hello all,

I have the Polk RTI-A7 Speakers and a Yamaha reciever RXV-485.

I’m thinking about the NAD C368
Do you have any suggestions, because the speakers are power hungry!

Thank you in advance

Comments

• ken brydsonken brydson Posts: 7,519
    Your Yammy doesn't appear to have pre-outs to add an external amp....
    HT/Main- Panny 50" G10 Plasma, Pioneer SC-1222k AVR, Panny DMP-BD60 BDP, Polk LS90 mains, CS350LS center, LS/fx side surrounds, LS50 surround backs, SVS 25-31PC+ sub, Harmony One

Office Rig- Marantz 2252B, Denon 2910, Kenwood KD2070 TT, Polk RTA 12B's/ RTA8t
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,939

Ahh, there's the rub :(

lgwe7cwosjxe.png
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,848
    The NAD C368 is an integrated with Dac. I am assuming the OP is going to replace the yammie with the Nad?!?
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,522
    While NAD is a great brand, and I've owned a few pieces, you really do need a brutish amount of power for those speakers. Have you considered Peachtree Audio? You could get a used Nova for about the same price or less if you watch for them,
  • CH46ECH46E Posts: 1,197
    edited October 8
    I'm a big fan of NAD and love my 906 amp. They always seem to play much louder than most would expect from their stated power output. Even when I use it un-bridged at 30 watts per channel it will play loud enough for most.
    I have even bridged two channels for 90 watts on a twin 10 inch sub and it did very very well.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,631
    anonymouse wrote: »
    While NAD is a great brand, and I've owned a few pieces, you really do need a brutish amount of power for those speakers. Have you considered Peachtree Audio? You could get a used Nova for about the same price or less if you watch for them,

I beg to differ because what NAD sometimes lacks in the quantity of watts they make up for in quality. My C352 sounded better than anything else did on my LSi25s even up to insane levels (about 95-100 DB, maybe not crazy for some). maybe their digital series stuff isn't as brutish, but I kind of doubt that. :)

I may be a little hesitant with 9s, but you should be golden with the 7s (Probably golden with the 9s too, but less so. ;) )
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,848
    Following Micahs comment I would suggest an older big ole Nad integrated over that newer digital amp...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
  • anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 2,522
    I do speak from some experience with NAD. I owned a 2200PE (100WPC) and while it was capable, it was not able to get the best out of my pair of RTi10s. In a head to head comparison with a Rotel RB991 (200WPC), the Rotel was smoother, better highs and deeper bass than the NAD. Unfortunately the bigger RTi's do take some balls in the amp, and while I realize not all watts are equal, the damping factor, peak current and slew rate of the amp does make a significant difference on the RTi's. And that NAD with those speakers did not please me nearly as much as the Rotel. Not even close.
  • KexKex Posts: 3,496
    The NAD C368 is rated for 4Ω and even 2Ω, which is not only rare in this price range, but would tend to indicate that it does share some of the legendary NAD power capabilities (understated).

The RTi10 are 89dB efficient speakers rated at 8Ω, so other than the fact that they are large, they would not normally be considered especially hard to drive (which is invariably the case with RTi speakers).

There may be better solutions, but this one does not seem lacking prima facie, and may well yield surprising results, as is often the case with NAD components.
    Alea jacta est!
  • tonybtonyb Posts: 31,430

This ^^^

The second question should be, are you using them for HT or just music, or both ? Either way, that receiver isn't going to cut the mustard.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable