John Wick 3

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    2irnjlulgc27.jpeg
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Looking forward to the 4th installment...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • dolbyd
    dolbyd Posts: 430
    I just picked this up on the way home tonight.
    My wife said she approves given her day today.
    Good way to end the day for sure.
    Main room- RTiA9 x4, CSiA6, in ceiling Atmos RT-70 x4, SVS PC 4000 x2, Marantz 8805A, OPPO 203, Emotiva DR3 G3, Emotiva XPA-2 G3, Emotiva XPA-5 G3, Emotiva X300, Sony 75" 940E, Panasonic Plasma VT50, PS Audio Power Port X2, PS Audio AC-5 x8, AQ Rocket 33 Biwire speaker cables, AQ King Cobra XLR IC, Furman PFi20 W/Cullen cable, SoildSteel S4-4 rack, Gik room treatments

Office- Legend L600, in ceiling Polk RC80i, Marantz 7704, OPPO 203, Pioneer Elite PDF-59 CD, PSA Stellar 300, Sony 55" 800B, Gik room treatment

Master BR- Signature ES60, Signature S35 Center, Signature S15 Dolby Height, LSI700 in ceiling, SVS-SB4000, Marantz 5012, Emotiva XPA5 G2, OPPO 203, Pioneer DVL-919 Laser Disc, Sony 55" OLED

Patio- SDI Atrium8 x3, Emotiva A-100 amps x3
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Joey_V wrote: »
    I have not seen any John Wicks

time to get out and see something special Joey!!! I know your buzy and all but this will knock you upside your head, but not for you young ones!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    wow and I will leave it at that!
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • maingey
    maingey Posts: 627
    dolbyd wrote: »
    I just picked this up on the way home tonight.
    My wife said she approves given her day today.
    Good way to end the day for sure.

I need to sit down and go through all 3. The Mrs. has been a fan of his since she was a child and had the opportunity to meet him on the set of the Devil's Advocate. She actually likes John Wick series, and she's freaked out by the violence of TWD and other shows. Go figure.
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    All stores in my area are sold out of the 4K version.
    Amazon still has it but have jacked up the price since I saw it there last week.
    Very popular title at the moment.
    Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    The first John Wick just arrived from Netflix. I will get to it, hopefully, this weekend, and if I like it then buy all three in 4K Blu-Ray.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    I have a problem with this last one. In that scene near the end when he falls off the rooftop, bounces off a railing and hits the ground.....he should be dead. If not dead, severely injured with many broken bones and a host of other issues.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Derm
    Derm Posts: 95
    BlueFox wrote: »
    The first John Wick just arrived from Netflix. I will get to it, hopefully, this weekend, and if I like it then buy all three in 4K Blu-Ray.

Let us know what you think.
    The thing about the John Wick series after having seen all 3 is that if you like the first one you will most likely want to see the others.
    JW in 4K is superb with proper HT equipment.

tonyb wrote: »
    I have a problem with this last one. In that scene near the end when he falls off the rooftop, bounces off a railing and hits the ground.....he should be dead. If not dead, severely injured with many broken bones and a host of other issues.

I found a few scenes like that Tony.
    I don’t mind them pushing the limits of plausibility with some of the injuries but a few were “ya’ right” worthy but overall I give it a pass due to the overall vibe of the character and his “badassness”.

Speakers
    Front - LsiM707, Front presence - LsiM703, Future ATMOS - VS 700LS
    Center - LsiM706c, Rear surrounds - 80 F/X LS, VS 900LS. Sub - (pair) Klipsch R-12SW
    AVR - Yamaha RX-A3010
    AMP - NAD C275BEE
    Main HT - LG 4K 75”, Sony UBXP800M2
    Bedroom HT - LG 55" 4K, Philips BDP7501 4K UHD player , Yamaha SRT-1500 sound projector, Spare room HT LG 50” plasma, Yamaha BD-671
    Office - Pioneer X-CM56, Bose iPod dock
    In Storage - 4 - RTiA9, RtiA3, CSiA6, FXiA4, Blackstone TL1

The only source of knowledge is experience. Albert Einstein
  • BlueFox
    BlueFox wrote: »

Just finished the movie, and it only took a week or so. It was pretty good, but I am going to rent the other two versus buying the 4K version.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • DarqueKnight
    DarqueKnight Posts: 6,760
    edited September 2019
    tonyb wrote: »

I thought the same thing, until I replayed that scene in 1/16th slow motion. JW fell from a 6th floor balcony and his fall was halted three times. I initially thought he fell from the Continental's rooftop, 14 stories up. He also fell in a zigzag pattern rather than straight down.

From the balcony he fell two stories onto a small roof that appeared to be angled down at about 45 degrees. He slid down on that roof for one story, flew across the alley and bounced off a railing two stories up. He bounced back toward the Continental and crashed into a metal awning one story up, bounced off that awning and fell to the pavement, landing on his side rather his head or pelvis area.

Winston nodded at JW before commencing shooting and only aimed for JW's bullet proof suit. The fall was conceivably planned in advance and every surface he collided with, even the pavement, could have been prepared in advance to soften his fall. He also had the advantage of being in much better than average physical condition and much better than average reflexes. I expect some explanation for how he survived the fall to be given in JW 4.

Proud and loyal citizen of the Digital Domain and Solid State Country!
  • Guys, if your only concern about the "realism" of this or the previous John Wick movies is how he survived his fall at the end of JW3, then carry on in your "willing suspension of disbelief," which is essential for the enjoyment of all JW movies, as well as Jason Bourne, 007, Jack Reacher, etc., movies.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• daddyjt
    Guys, if your only concern about the "realism" of this or the previous John Wick movies is how he survived his fall at the end of JW3, then carry on in your "willing suspension of disbelief," which is essential for the enjoyment of all JW movies, as well as Jason Bourne, 007, Jack Reacher, etc., movies.

I completely agree - if one has difficulty with a slight suspension of belief in these types of movies, perhaps one should stick to superhero movies, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and the like....
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DarqueKnight
    edited October 2019
    Guys, if your only concern about the "realism" of this or the previous John Wick movies is how he survived his fall at the end of JW3, then carry on in your "willing suspension of disbelief," which is essential for the enjoyment of all JW movies, as well as Jason Bourne, 007, Jack Reacher, etc., movies.
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I completely agree - if one has difficulty with a slight suspension of belief in these types of movies, perhaps one should stick to superhero movies, Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and the like....

I don't have any problem with suspension of disbelief. I have issues with "going over the top" by introducing some thing that apparently does not fit in with the narrative of the story. I don't expect absolute realism in fictional movies, but I expect them to be realistic with respect to the world they create.

Suspension of disbelief has to work within the context of a fictional framework. The writer(s) can't just throw anything into the story without some regard with how it fits into the fictional world that has been created. For example, don't ask me to accept that Superman is immune to being poisoned, then have him get heartburn from a spicy meal.

There is such a thing as being "jarred out of disbelief" by something that doesn't jibe well with the fictional context of the story. Huge plot holes are another thing that can sabotage suspension of disbelief.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,474
    true that Raife.
  • daddyjt
    daddyjt wrote: »

I don't have any problem with suspension of disbelief. I have issues with "going over the top" by introducing some thing that apparently does not fit in with the narrative of the story. I don't expect absolute realism in fictional movies, but I expect them to be realistic with respect to the world they create.

Suspension of disbelief has to work within the context of a fictional framework. The writer(s) can't just throw anything into the story without some regard with how it fits into the fictional world that has been created. For example, don't ask me to accept that Superman is immune to being poisoned, then have him get heartburn from a spicy meal.

There is such a thing as being "jarred out of disbelief" by something that doesn't jibe well with the fictional context of the story. Huge plot holes are another thing that can sabotage suspension of disbelief.

Just to be clear, I was agreeing with you, that it is more than plausible - especially given the various energy dissipation encounters on his way down. I mean really - people even occasionally survive skydiving accidents where chutes fail to open...:-)

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Moose68Bash
    Moose68Bash Posts: 3,842

@DarqueKnight,

I agree with you 100%. I intended my comment about today's "action" movies to be tinged with a bit of humor by way of the reference to Coleridge's famous critical dictum (that was meant to apply to romantic poetry, not 21st century action movies).

My point -- humor aside -- was that our contemporary action movies are rife with such unrealistic scenes and actions that, absent the "fictional context of the story," each would likely jar reasonable observers out of any suspension of disbelief. They are, nevertheless, very entertaining. Even my wife, who prefers chick flicks, likes the two Equalizer movies, the Bourne movies, and much to my surprise, the John Wick movies. Even she can't explain it!

Some action movies do a better job of creating a sustainable "fictional context" than others. I think the Bourne movies fall into this category, as do the "Equalizer" movies -- albeit both "serials" are full of totally unrealistic scenes and actions.

Jason Bourne, for example, survives a fall similar to John Wicks's in the most recent Bourne movie "Jason Bourne" (I think I have that right), as well as in the leap into the Hudson at the end of "The Bourne Ultimatum."

Of course, unrealistic fictional representation in dramas has a rich history, going all the way back to Greek tragedies.
    Family Room, Innuos Statement streamer (Roon Core) with Morrow Audio USB cable to McIntosh MC 2700 pre with DC2 Digital Audio Module; AQ Sky XLRs to CAT 600.2 dualmono amp, Morrow Elite Speaker Cables to NOLA Baby Grand Reference Gold 3 speakers. Power source for all components: Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One with dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel.

Exercise Room, Innuos Streamer via Cat 6 cable connection to PS Audio PerfectWave MkII DAC w/Bridge II, AQ King Cobra RCAs to Perreaux PMF3150 amp (fully restored and upgraded by Jeffrey Jackson, Precision Audio Labs), Supra Rondo 4x2.5 Speaker Cables to SDA 1Cs (Vr3 Mods Xovers and other mods.), Dreadnaught with Supra Rondo 4x2.5 interconnect cables by Vr3 Mods. Power for each component from dedicated 20 amp circuit to main panel, except Innuos Statement powered from Silver Circle Audio Pure Power One.

• Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Thanks for all of the spoilers, U DIX!!!
  • DarqueKnight
    You're welcome, but the DIX assumed anyone entering this thread had already seen JW3 and his literal/allegorical descent from "on high".

Any other recent movies you would like to see discussed? :)
  • Hermitism
    Hermitism Posts: 4,192
    Luckily I've already seen it, but...
    Why can't you people just use the spoiler button when bringing up the climax of a movie in your posts?

I'm reminded of watching the Blu-ray of Avengers: Endgame. You're given an option to view an intro to the movie from the directors and
    they show the funeral of one of the main characters during the intro BEFORE the movie starts. Gee thanks for spoiling the surprise.
  • DarqueKnight
    If I have serious interest in a movie, I won't read reviews of forum discussions of it until after I have seen it. If I watch a trailer on YouTube or elsewhere, I won't read the comments below the trailer.

We are now 3.5 months after JW3's theatrical release. I would expect recent comments to be review oriented rather than the anticipation orientation of several months ago.
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    edited October 2019
    Well this is interesting! Uh, never even heard of John Wick! Yeah yeah yeah, I know! I gotta get our more. But I do like Keanu Reeves, so it looks like a John Wick weekend! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Hermitism
    You mean you opened a thread about a movie that you haven't seen yet, even though it's been out for three weeks on blu-ray??? Shame on you! You'll love the trilogy! Too bad you know how it's going to end.

It's literally the purpose of the spoiler button! Reminds me of the all time best RIP thread. I thought I was going to get in so much trouble!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184532/penny-marshall-dies-at-75
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Hermitism wrote: »
    You mean you opened a thread about a movie that you haven't seen yet, even though it's been out for three weeks on blu-ray??? Shame on you! You'll love the trilogy! Too bad you know how it's going to end.

It's literally the purpose of the spoiler button! Reminds me of the all time best RIP thread. I thought I was going to get in so much trouble!

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/184532/penny-marshall-dies-at-75

I just skimmed the thread. All I got was Keanu Reeves, Action Movie, Body Count, etc. My kind of movie! :)

Oh yeah, shave and a haircut as recommended by @F1nut ! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Hermitism
    Everyone dies at the end.
  • daddyjt
    Hermitism wrote: »
    Everyone dies at the end.

Yes, we do...:-)

Sorry, couldn’t resist...

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• DarqueKnight
    verb wrote: »

Oh yeah, shave and a haircut as recommended by @F1nut ! :)

Grooming and hygiene are largely irrelevant when you have millions of $$$.

• BlueFox
    Netflix shipped John Wick 2, so I might watch it this weekend, or next week. Soon I will be up to speed with John Wick 3. I have to admit that while I did like #1 it did feel as if I had watched it before. I guess there is only so much one can develop about these types of characters.

Three 20 amp circuits.