Polk/Vanilla - Please fix Vanilla to work with iPad using IOS 9.3.5

Options
It has been broken for a week now. IOS 9.3.5 is the last version slightly older iPads support. No other web site has this problem. Only Vanilla. Please fix this. Thank you.

hd3snd3fz9o2.png

Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Bud
    Sell a power cord and by a used iPad that will run the latest IOS

2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,071
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Bud
    Sell a power cord and by a used car.

FTFY. ;)
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • Nightfall
    Options
    Sometimes it puts a huge blank gap between the username and the actual post on mine. Latest versions of Chrome and Android 10.

• Nightfall
    Options
    h80cgaica3ya.png

• Nightfall
    Options
    scoon5ajm8zu.png

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Runnin' a Sperry UNIVAC with a 20 mA current loop interface teletype here; no problems.

B)

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    txcoastal1 wrote: »
    Bud
    Sell a power cord and by a used iPad that will run the latest IOS

Why?

My iPad Mini works fine. The other iPad should also work. The issue is Vanilla. Fix it.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Ur mini runs same iOS
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • BlueFox
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Duh. Read my post. The problem is the version. My Mini runs 12.4.1. The iPad Retina stopped getting updated at 9.3.5.
    Post edited by BlueFox on

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,044
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    Duh. Read my post. The problem is the version. My Mini runs 12.3.5. The iPad Retina stopped getting updated at 9.3.5.
    [emphasis added]

I don't think this is Vanilla's problem -- I think, instead, that you're running afoul of Apple's subtle way of saying "It's time for you to buy some new Apple hardware, @bluefox."

As Apple is wont to do.

Bless their hearts.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Sorry. It worked fine until last week. The IOS was frozen 1-2 years ago. The problem is Vanilla.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,932
    Options
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    I don't think this is Vanilla's problem -- I think, instead, that you're running afoul of Apple's subtle way of saying "It's time for you to buy some new Apple hardware, @bluefox."
    Since everything else works in Safari, I have to agree with Bud: this is a Vanilla problem.

This must be the iPad 3, discontinued in 2012, so yeah... I don’t think Apple can be faulted much here. Wifey’s iPad Air 2 is from 2014, and will get the newest iPad OS.

As far as trying to force upgrades, I beg to differ: Apple updates their iPads and iPhones far longer than any other brand, bar none. In fact, they still offer battery replacements and screen replacements for many ancient devices.
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    2012! Time flies. LOL. Anyway, there is no excuse, other than sloppy programming, to not support a simple web interface.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    When will this be fixed? Is this just another example of sloppy Vanilla programming?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,686
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    sloppy Vanilla

???

ri57oc8tvud2.jpg
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    Nightfall wrote: »
    Sometimes it puts a huge blank gap between the username and the actual post on mine. Latest versions of Chrome and Android 10.

It has been doing that on the mobile version for a few weeks now. Mine is Android 9.0 and I use Armorfly browser as well as Edge same thing.
  • CoolJazz
    Options
    I am normally on an Android too. Can't get the site reliably for a couple weeks or so now. All others are normal. I've given up on it completely at this point.

CJ
    A so called science type proudly says... "I do realize that I would fool myself all the time, about listening conclusions and many other observations, if I did listen before buying. That’s why I don’t, I bought all of my current gear based on technical parameters alone, such as specs and measurements."
  • Kex
    Options
    In August of this year, 88% of iOS devices were running the latest version of iOS 12 (just replaced by iOS 13 and iPad OS) and would therefore have no issues with Vanilla.

In the case of Android, version 10 has also been released, but as of September 2019, only a tiny percentage were using it. Even version 9 “Pie” was only being used by 10% of devices. Versions 7 & 8 still account for about 20% each, whereas versions 5 & 6 each account for approximately 15%.

Given how many older Android devices are running older software, and how many older iPads are still in use, there could be many thousands or millions of iOS & Android devices that cannot display Vanilla properly... or as in the case of iOS 9.3.5, cannot display Vanilla at all.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Nightfall
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Android devices are like digital HiFi streaming boxes. When something new comes out you MIGHT get it, but probably not. They'd rather use their resources to keep working on newer models that will include the new thing so you buy another one. It's the only reason I use a Pixel.

• codycatalist
    Options
    Are you using Safari? If so you can try another browser possibly. May be quicker than a vanilla fix.
    Just a dude doing dude-ly things

"Temptation is the manifestation of desire which equals necessity." - Mikey081057
    " I have always had a champange taste with a beer budget" - Rick88
    "Just because the thread is getting views don't mean much .. I like a good train wreck doesn't mean i want to be in one..." - pitdogg2
    "Those that don't know, don't know that they don't know." - heiney9
    "Audiophiles are the male equivalent of cat ladies." - Audiokarma Member
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Hello all, so there is no confusion, I was able to speak to Vanilla. Here is their response.

"This is linked to the iOS 13 update, and our latest release. It seems linked to javascript being disabled by default on some devices. My team is investigating as we speak following similar reports from other clients."
  • Kex
    Options
    @KenCustomerService This is absolutely NOT linked to iOS 13. I have both iOS 13 on my phone and iPad OS 13 on my iPad and I am not experiencing any issues whatsoever.

Only iPads that are not able to upgrade from iOS 9.3.5 are experiencing issues in Safari, and there are no alternative browsers that are compatible (well, there is one, but they will withdraw also within weeks or months). This represents about 12% of all iOS devices in use today.

Don’t forget to mention the issues Android users are also experiencing. Almost 90% of Android devices are running an OS that was released prior to 2018, and some have been experiencing problems as described above.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    P.S. It might be worth mentioning that 12% of iOS devices equates to about 200 million devices!
    Alea jacta est!
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,577
    Options
    I'm running Android 9 and have used 3 different browsers. Still have problems. Don't bother me at all to scroll down.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    @Kex, the quote I used came directly from Vanilla in an email they sent me this morning. This is a Vanilla issue, not a Polk Audio Forum issue. They said on "some devices"

That is the news I have now, Vanilla should come back with a fix.
  • Kex
    Options
    At least they’re actually looking into it @KenCustomerService! That’s a really good start!
    Alea jacta est!
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,914
    Options
    I had the same issue when we were out of town this last weekend and I tried connecting to the site with my iPad Mini.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    It was probably caused by an upgrade they made for IOS 13, which then broke how it works with 9.3.5.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Kex
    Options
    Sounds probable @BlueFox
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    @BlueFox
    @KenCustomerService

Okay... so I have an effective fix for this, and it only takes two taps on the screen (and maybe a swipe left to scroll the list):

1) Use the share icon as shown in the pic,
    2) Scroll the share options to find the Request Desktop Site button,
    3) Voilà! The site will show normally as shown below.

This was tested on an iPad mini 1st Gen, so it works for any model stuck on iOS 9.3.5

The bad news is that it will have to be done every time the site is visited (not just once), so if Vanilla can get the older iPads recognized in “desktop” mode, instead of mobile, it will work without intervention.

Share the page to desktop mode:

xkw49hhc2wi0.jpeg

Full desktop site on iPad mini:

5b8bs4qsad6c.png
    Alea jacta est!