Needle Doctor going out of business

I saw this posted on another forum.
After 40 years, The Needle Doctor is closing its doors, effective immediately. We are incredibly grateful for the support you've shown us, both locally in the Twin Cities and globally. What started as a tiny little shop on the University of Minnesota campus grew into a world-wide analog haven. The staff was never larger than 10 or so people, which should say all that needs to be said about the work ethic of those that wore the hat. Customer service was always the centerpiece; whether it was helping music lovers solve problems, helping seasoned vets take the next step with their system, or helping grandparents find a flip-over needle for their console stereo. Every day was an adventure. We hope that our love for analog and our friendly service set us apart from the rest. With that, one last thank you to everyone who's been a part of this journey. It's been a pleasure. The Needle Doctor is dead. Long live The Needle Doctor.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Comments

• vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Sad
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Their website is still up. I wonder if it’s just the storefront or the entire operation shutting down. There is no indication on the website of closing.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    I saw that as well.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• stangman67
    stangman67 Posts: 2,179
    I might call shenanigans on that one. Post was made on a brand new account on Steve Hoffman and not posted anywhere else. That reeks of someone just trying to rile people up
    2 Channel in my home attic/bar/man cave

2 Channel Focal Kanta 3 I Modwright SWL9.0 Anniversary Pre I Modwright PH9.0X I Modwright KWA-150SE I VPI Prime Signature w/ Soundsmith Zephyr MIMC I Lumin U2 Mini I North Star Designs Intenso DAC I Audience OHNO ICs/Audience Furutech FP-S55N and FP-S032N Power Cables/Acoustic Zen Satori I Isotek Sirius
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    Maybe it's a going out for business ad like they used to have at the beach 😜
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    like the Persian Rug sales emporia, you mean? :p
  • F1nut
    Steve Hoffman said it's legit.

President of Club Polk

• aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    It is sad. Businesses close for a variety of reasons. Can't assume failure. Nicely written.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    maybe age/health of the principal(s)? :(

I'd reckon that business is better than it's been in years -- unless the $13 conical stylus "AT3600" cartridges from China are takin' all of the business from the higher-end vendors. :/

• coolsax
    coolsax Posts: 1,824
    Sad to hear
    Main 2ch -
    BlueSound Node->Ethereal optical cable->Peachtree Audio Nova 150->GoldenEar Triton 2+
    TT - Pro-ject Classic SB with Sumiko Bluepoint.

TV 3.1 system -
    Denon 3500 -> Dynaudio Excite 32/22
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    I only bought a couple of things from them over the years, but they had stock available to them that would have been hard to find elsewhere with the knowledge to make sure a customer got what they really needed. In my case it was a new dust cover for a turntable and a replacement drive belt.
  • nooshinjohn
    I wonder if there is a shot it might be for sale somehow....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Possible in the long run. But, if the liabilities exceeded assets there may be nothing left to sell other than a customer list. If I remember right, the big ticket items they sold tended to be drop shipped. Weird that the website is still up. Maybe there’s nobody with access to turn it off if the creditors swooped in.
  • Osarion
    Osarion Posts: 180
    I bought my Project Debut 3 from them around 10 years ago or so. That was back when I thought $350 was a lot to pay for a turntable lol They will be missed.
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    Bought some turntable accessories from them and a phono cartridge or two from them, always a good experience buying stuff from them. Sad to see them closing.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • hochpt21
    hochpt21 Posts: 5,423
    They gave me a deal on a cartridge even though it was the repair shop mistake. Solid service for sure.
    2 ChannelTurntable - VPI Classic 2/Ortofon 2M BlueAmplification - Rogue Audio Cronus Magnum II, Parks Audio Budgie PhonoSpeakers - GoldenEar Triton 17.2 Home TheaterDenon AVR-X3300W; Rotel RMB-1066; Klipsch RP-280F's, Klipsch RP-450C, Polk FXi3's, Polk RC60i; Dual SVS PB 2000's; BenQ HT2050; Elite Screens 120"Man CaveTurntable - Pro-Ject 2.9 Wood/Grado GoldAmplification - Dared SL2000a, McCormack DNA 0.5 DeluxeCD: Cambridge AudioSpeakers - Wharfedale Linton 85th Anniversary; LSiM 703; SDA 2A
  • F1nut
    The thread on the Hoffman forum has disappeared, so it seems the story isn't true.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    They have yet to respond to my email, and the phone does not get answered.

• F1nut
    I called too, no one answered. Weird doings.

President of Club Polk

• Nightfall
    Nightfall Posts: 10,042
    Maybe it's happening but the word wasn't supposed to be out yet?
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • The seriousness of the Needle Doctor is real ... Referred another business for my next issue with my receiver. .... I emailed them again and told them I went out of my way to drive over and was angry ...
    www.mcdvoice.com
  • mhardy6647
    ^^^ weird, almost contextual, spam.

:(

• I purchased from Needle Doctor and was always satisfied with the experience. Their people were nice and always helpful. Maybe Polk can hire their customer service people.
    My New Year's resolution is 3840 × 2160

Family Room| Marantz AV7704| Usher Dancer Mini - 2 DMD Mains |Usher Dancer Mini-x DMD's Surrounds | Usher BE-616 DMD Center | SVS Ultra Rear Surrounds | Parasound Halo A21 | Parsound Halo A52+ | MIT Shotgun S3's | Dual SVS SB 4000 Ultras | Oppo UDP 203 | Directv Genie HD DVR | Samsung 75" Q8 QLED | PSAudio Stellar GCD | Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ | Lumin U1 Mini | HP Elite Slice PC | ROON'd for life |

ManCave: HT:Polk LSiM 706VR3 LSiM 703's LSiM 702's|| Marantz AV7002 AV PrePro Sunfire TGA-7401| Sony PS4 Pro| Sony PS4 Pro|SVS PB13 Ultra| Oppo UDP 203 | Music Hall MMF 5.3se TT w/ Soundsmith Carmen | Samsung 55" SUHD TV | Sony PS4

Patio | Polk Atrium 8's | Yamaha R-N303BL |

Office BlueSound Node| KEF LS50 | Peactree Nova 125SE |

Bedroom | Focal 905's | Chromecast Audio |

Garage | Polk Monitor 5B's

Closet Yamaha M80 | 2 Polk MP3K subs| Yaqin MC100B with Shuguang Treasures KT 88's & CV181Z's | Tesla E83CC's | Marantz 2252B | Marantz 2385 |Polk SDA SRS 2.3 | LSiM 705's |
  • F1nut wrote: »
    The thread on the Hoffman forum has disappeared, so it seems the story isn't true.

The Audiogon thread is locked as well.
  • polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    They have yet to respond to my email, and the phone does not get answered.

Spam filter, caller ID. Need I say more? :D

I've only gotten a couple of things from them over the years, but still sad if they're really closing up shop.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • I left several voice messages over a few days and no answer. Now the voice mail box is full and no more messages can be left. Sent emails to Chris, the sales person that I had a good relationship with and no answers either.

It is strange for a business that had such a well-deserved good reputation to close in such a disregarding way for its customers. It does not take much to make an outgoing voice message giving a status. Same with the web site.

I feel like I've lost a good friend. That they are gone is almost certain. No business that still wanted to cultivate a customer base would close its doors like this. It's a shame.
  • F1nut
    The plot thickens.

President of Club Polk

• nooshinjohn
    I have had zero success reaching them as well.

• What would happen if someone were to purchase something from their website??
    See my profile for list of gear.