Looking for Misc Audio Deals of the Day? Updated info here!

Comments

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,559
    Ugh, get those bad boys away from the wall and hooked up with some bi-wire cables!
  • I like the looks of those speakers.
    "Sometimes you have to look to the past to understand where you are going in the future"

Harry / Marietta GA
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    verb wrote: »

They are interesting but they don't sound great IME/IMO (and FWIW, whilst I am slinging hip, happenin' web abbreviations...).

YMMV, of course.

B)
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Hermitism wrote: »
    I just noticed those myself here on my local Nashville CL.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

They are interesting but they don't sound great IME/IMO (and FWIW, whilst I am slinging hip, happenin' web abbreviations...).

YMMV, of course.

B)

I read that they had some sort of foam material for the drivers?
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    N/A

Black Stellar Gain Cell DAC + 2 M700s $2500

https://forum.psaudio.com/t/fs-black-stellar-gain-cell-dac-2-m700s/12974
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    Anti-SPAM bump.
  • mhardy6647

YMMV, of course.

B)

I read that they had some sort of foam material for the drivers?
    Not to go all Cliff Clavin on you :p ...

but...

I believe that the drivers are foam -- unless I am confused (which is always possible) they're essentially an early implementation of the 'tactile transducers' or 'exicters'*; in this case, exciting a foam board.

I believe (!?!) the Bertagni transducers are a lot like the "polyplanar" drivers sold by LRE (e.g.,) in the early 1970s.

jepbmac28q7y.png
    source: https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Catalogs/Consumer/Lafayette-1972.pdf

It was a thing in the early 1970s. It didn't quite catch on -- well, except that in recent years, it has sort of come back (with those aforementioned 'exciters'). :p
    There is nothing new under the sun.
    B)

There were also, in the mid/late 1960s, a flurry :p of normal cone-type speaker drivers manufactured with styrofoam cones. EV was, fairly briefly, infatuated with foam cones. :) I haven't had enough ears-on experience with them to have a strong opinion, but it's safe to say that these didn't catch on either :|

This was one approach to strong, stiff, light materials to make 'truly' pistonic driver (mostly woofer) cones -- in the days before easy availability of today's fashionable paper alternatives for speaker cones (Kevlar, carbon fiber, various flavors of plastics, etc.).

I don't know if the foam cones have as horrific out-of-band frequency response anomalies (breakup modes) as today's wonder materials ;)

npk52y50rxsl.png

1960s Electrovoice 12" foam cone woofer as used in their Regal 400 loudspeaker system. Note that hard plastic dustcap, too! Borrowed image. :|

... and here's a 12" coax, made by EV for Allied Radio Corp in the early 1960s, featuring a foam bass driver cone :)

hbdkb360ag7u.png
    source: http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1962-210/hr020.html

Y'all needed to know this!

;)

• jdjohn
    Polk LSiM 704c still sealed in box for $450.
    591gusn4sofp.jpg
    [Obviously a stock pic]
    https://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/d/polk-audio-lsim-704c-center-channel/6949285486.html
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    jdjohn wrote: »
    Polk LSiM 704c still sealed in box for $450.
    Those were recently on closeout for $200 and the larger 706c for $350.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • verb
    edited September 2019
    There were also, in the mid/late 1960s, a flurry :p of normal cone-type speaker drivers manufactured with styrofoam cones. EV was, fairly briefly, infatuated with foam cones. :) I haven't had enough ears-on experience with them to have a strong opinion, but it's safe to say that these didn't catch on either :|

This was one approach to strong, stiff, light materials to make 'truly' pistonic driver (mostly woofer) cones -- in the days before easy availability of today's fashionable paper alternatives for speaker cones (Kevlar, carbon fiber, various flavors of plastics, etc.).

I don't know if the foam cones have as horrific out-of-band frequency response anomalies (breakup modes) as today's wonder materials ;)

npk52y50rxsl.png

1960s Electrovoice 12" foam cone woofer as used in their Regal 400 loudspeaker system. Note that hard plastic dustcap, too! Borrowed image. :|

... and here's a 12" coax, made by EV for Allied Radio Corp in the early 1960s, featuring a foam bass driver cone :)

hbdkb360ag7u.png
    source: http://www.alliedcatalogs.com/html/1962-210/hr020.html

Y'all needed to know this!

;)

Interesting history on foam Doc! Is there anything you don't know about speakers? :)

Hmmm, IMO foam seems to be, at least in my biz, not the right material if you're trying to control bending stiffness. Yeah you can re-formulate it, add fibers, etc, to stiffen it up, but seems to me there were better materials to start with.
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,477
    Phase Tech used styrofoam like drivers in the 80's
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Interesting history on foam Doc! Is there anything you don't know about speakers? :)
    I... I don't know.
    ;)
    Hmmm, IMO foam seems to be, at least in my biz, not the right material if you're trying to control bending stiffness. Yeah you can re-formulate it, add fibers, etc, to stiffen it up, but seems to me there were better materials to start with.

I reckon that's true, and I further reckon why we don't see many foam coned drivers any more... and I even still further reckon why the Bertagni/Fisher speakers I've heard were... well... not so great.

:|

EDIT: Oh, did anyone mention that Fisher sold some speakers using the Bertagni panels for a while? :P
    http://www.antiqueradio.com/vintage audio/fisher sound panel article 102017.pdf
  • EndersShadow
    EndersShadow Posts: 17,517
    edited September 2019
    pitdogg2 wrote: »

Whatcha talking about?

OH WAIT.... you meant like this????

:wink:

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • mhardy6647
    hey -- someone else used PRs kinda sorta like that for a while in the late '70s/early 80s. :#

10729919005_c06dcb86a5_z.jpgDSC_1150 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I think that's more like foamed polyurethane than Styrofoam (foamed polystyrene) though. :)
  • pitdogg2

Whatcha talking about?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Is that active or passive? My friend had an active woofer pull the voice coil leads through the foam...
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »

Whatcha talking about?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Is that active or passive? My friend had an active woofer pull the voice coil leads through the foam...

Active.
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
  • pitdogg2
    Be careful with that one
  • lightman1
    lightman1 Posts: 10,776
    edited September 2019

Whatcha talking about?

OH WAIT.... you meant like this?

uvlx7k8u25vg.jpeg

Hey! I know those speakers!
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    The Fisher used Pie Tin drivers back in the early 1960's...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • pitdogg2 wrote: »
    Be careful with that one

Don’t worry I am :smile:
  • verb
    Well I've never seen one of these. Retro, pretty cool, IMO, and Pioneer! ;)
    tjfd2jwxfpak.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/farmington-pioneer-jt-215a-digital/6983570603.html
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Well I've never seen one of these. Retro, pretty cool, IMO, and Pioneer! ;)
    tjfd2jwxfpak.png
    https://detroit.craigslist.org/okl/ele/d/farmington-pioneer-jt-215a-digital/6983570603.html

that's adorbs -- the one I have is "Fluroscan" digital :)

9i0yb9pdqi9a.png
    (borrowed stock photo from hifiengine -- the one here's pretty similar... I don't think I've ever actually plugged it in, come to think of it)
  • verb
    Of course you have one! I should've known! :)
  • verb
  • jdjohn
    From my dad's garage:
    2bl5a6je8ndf.jpg
    IIRC, these only accept NON-polar two-prong plugs :s

Back-in-the-day, I suppose these were helpful when audiophiles passed-out fell asleep on the couch during critical listening sessions. :D

Btw: I am accepting offers on these beauties :) Karma, anyone???
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    New Definitive Technology BP9080 - $300 single speaker ($1749 retail)
    https://toledo.craigslist.org/ele/d/toledo-definitive-technology-bp9080/6983709152.html

No affiliation but the guy said that he purchased a set from Best Buy and had a problem with one of them and though it was DOA. He complained to Definitive and a new one was sent...now he has three of them. As it turns out, he had something connected wrong and the speaker is fine. So he is selling the new in-box one for $300!

01717_bI9pZhF37LE_600x450.jpg
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Love his integrity.... he should at least return it to Best Buy.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • verb