iPad issue

Options
My original full size iPad only displays an exaggerated Polk background when I connect to the forum at forum.polkaudio.com, while the iPad Mini is okay. It started sometime this morning. Anyone else having issues?
Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,329
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I’m on an iPad Air and not having any issues, but I DO get the screen below for about half a second when moving between screens on the forum (took me a few tries to get a screen shot of it, as it’s that brief...)

3b6zbktpp4yk.jpeg

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• BlueFox
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Options
    Yes, that is it all the time on my full size iPad with iOS 9.3.5, which is the last version Apple supports on this hardware.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    edited September 2019
    Options
    daddyjt wrote: »
    I’m on an iPad Air and not having any issues, but I DO get the screen below for about half a second when moving between screens on the forum (took me a few tries to get a screen shot of it, as it’s that brief...)

3b6zbktpp4yk.jpeg

I am getting this on my tablet (iPad Mini 2nd Gen) and my computer as well (Win7, Google Chrome.) I don't have the problem with that showing up all the time.

Bud, Did you try deleting cookies?
  • BlueFox
    Options
    I can’t find any options for Cookies in any of the selections.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Options
    What browser are you using?

In Chrome you click the three dots on the top right, select "settings" I think? And then scroll down. It may be under advanced at the bottom of the page.

I can't remember how to do it in Safari.
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Found it. Thanks.

Same problem. No help, and now I have to re-add all my sites. LOL

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • Dabutcher
    Dabutcher Posts: 2,591
    Options
    I exclusively use my iPad Pro 13” . Just letting you know I have had no issues.
    Good luck. D
    MIT Magnum MH-750, Monster HTS 5100MKII, Sony 77" Class - A80CJ Series - 4K UHD OLED,PS4, Def Tech 15” sub,LSIM 706c, Sunfire Signature Grand 425 x 4,Parasound hca 120, LSiM 702 x 4, Oppo 103D, SDA SRS 1.2, Pioneer Elite SC63 , Pioneer Elite BDP-05 “Why did you get married if you wanted big speakers?”
  • BlueFox
    Options
    The issue, most likely, is the OS version on the iPad. Apple quit supporting the iPad hardware I have, first Retna display. The real problem is Vanilla does a terrible job of QAing their updates.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • daddyjt
    Options
    BlueFox wrote: »
    ...The real problem is Vanilla does a terrible job of QAing their updates.

Ding ding ding... Winner!

Also, I get it that companies can’t support hardware indefinitely, but a 10-12 year old iPad should not be abandoned to the trash heap. Unfortunately, when they stop the software updates, they are forcing you into new hardware. I still have my first iPad, and functionally it works great, but from a software point of view, it’s almost useless. Now it just runs the Oppo app to control my 105.

"Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    Kex Posts: 4,939
    Options
    Yeah... I fired up an iPad mini First Gen just to test this, but it shows only that background image posted earlier... no links, no menus, nothing to click.

My current iPad Pro has no problems, nor does Mac OS (even on an ancient MacBook Pro from 2010, which I keep around for testing purposes).

I’m wondering what other browsers could be installed that might get around your problem, but honestly, with the new entry level iPad at $330, including compatibility with an Apple branded docking keyboard and pencil, I’d advise moving on. Tablets are more like phones than laptops when it comes to lifespan, so even if older iPads still function, you’ll have a much happier experience with something shiny and new.

I consider 5 years to be the usable life expectancy of iPads and laptops anyway (although laptops will continue to perform well with some Linux distributions for another five years or so). You may not realize it, but you’re losing out after that, in both functionality and comfort, and it really shows when you try an updated model. Smartphones will work fine after 4 or 5 years also too, but for those I enforce a self-imposed lifespan of three years before upgrading, for similar reasons (you just don’t realize how much you’re missing out).

P.S. You can delete cookies without deleting all your history, and certainly without deleting logins stored in the keychain.
    Alea jacta est!
  • Kex
    Options
    Okay, I did some searching on the iPad Mini 1st Gen.

Firefox, Chrome, Opera Touch and Edge browsers are NOT compatible with iOS version 9.3.5. However, Puffin browser will work. So that could be your solution for now. It has good reviews from what I can tell, but honestly, I used it for the first time ever just a few minutes ago! :p

I’d still consider a juicy deal on the new iPad, or a refurbished iPad from Apple. They’re like new, and it’s impossible to tell they’ve ever been used. Not a single scratch or blemish anywhere.

Refurbished iPads from the Apple Store
    Alea jacta est!
  • daddyjt
    Options
    Kex wrote: »
    ...refurbished iPad from Apple. They’re like new, and it’s impossible to tell they’ve ever been used. Not a single scratch or blemish anywhere.

Refurbished iPads from the Apple Store

Every iPad I’ve ever purchased (over ten of them, between the kids, the wife, and myself) has been through the Apple refurb shop. With the exception of the one my daughter broke dropping it on the tile floor, every one of them still functions. The only reason the old ones are not in service is lack of software support.

― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• Kex
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Checked on the significant other’s iPad Air 2 (from 2014) and Club Polk works fine in Safari on that model (which will also be upgradable to iPad OS when it is released) so only iPads stuck on iOS 9.3.5 seem to be affected by the Vanilla Safari bug (Safari works normally for everything else). Everything from an iPad Mini 2 and newer is compatible with iOS 12.x, so they shouldn’t experience the bug.

Since iPad OS is about to be released (in lieu of iOS 13 for iPads), here is the full list of compatible iPads from OSX Daily

12.9-inch iPad Pro 3rd generation (2018 model)
    12.9-inch iPad Pro 2nd generation
    12.9-inch iPad Pro 1st generation
    11-inch iPad Pro (2018 model)
    10.5-inch iPad Pro
    9.7-inch iPad Pro
    iPad 6th generation (2018 model)
    iPad 5th generation (2017 model)
    iPad Air 3 (2019 model)
    iPad Air 2
    iPad mini 5 (2019 model)
    iPad mini 4

... and just for gits & shiggles:

iPhone models compatible with iOS 13

iPhone XS
    iPhone XS Max
    iPhone XR
    iPhone X
    iPhone 8
    iPhone 8 Plus
    iPhone 7
    iPhone 7 Plus
    iPhone 6s
    iPhone 6s Plus
    iPhone SE

It’s not the end of the world if a device is NOT on the list. It will still function normally, but some applications will not get updates in future... and as shown here, things like Vanilla might stop functioning normally.

I still use a 3.5” iPod Touch 4 from 2010 almost every day, and it’s surprising good for everything that I use it for, even though it’s stuck on iOS 6.1.6!
    Alea jacta est!
  • BlueFox
    Options
    Interesting all the spam started after Vanilla screwed up iPad access with IOS 9.3.5. Coincidence?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • txcoastal1
    txcoastal1 Posts: 13,132
    Options
    Interesting all the spam started after Vanilla screwed up iPad access with IOS 9.3.5. Coincidence?

Nope the spamis@bvttHURTdouche bag
    2-channel: Modwright KWI-200 Integrated, Dynaudio C1-II Signatures
    Desktop rig: LSi7, Polk 110sub, Dayens Ampino amp, W4S DAC/pre, Sonos, JRiver
    Gear on standby: Melody 101 tube pre, Unison Research Simply Italy Integrated
    Gone to new homes: (Matt Polk's)Threshold Stasis SA12e monoblocks, Pass XA30.5 amp, Usher MD2 speakers, Dynaudio C4 platinum speakers, Modwright LS100 (voltz), Simaudio 780D DAC

erat interfectorem cesar et **** dictatorem dicere a
  • Kex
    Options
    Yes. Coincidence. Technically, there does not seem to be any way that this could be related.

Alea jacta est!