PSW505 burnt out, no help from customer service

I've got a PSW505 that I bought several years ago, had plenty of issues and RMA'd a couple times. It worked for about a year then went bad outside of the warranty period (I only had it usable for ~1.5 years out of the 3 year warranty period...). I think I've isolated it to a burnt out resistor (R16), but it's discolored bad enough that I can't tell what the color code is. I called in and was told that it's considered confidential and won't help with a service manual, circuit diagram, or even tell me the proper value for that single resistor so I can replace it myself. All they would offer is to sell me a new one or ship it in to one of their service centers.

Anyone have a decent picture of the boards so I can find a replacement resistor?

Comments

• The amp failure on the 505 under two years is very common. Mine did after a year however it’s replacement amp Polk sent me free of charge has been going strong for the last three years. Sorry I can’t be of more help with identifying the failed part, but it may be easier to just replace the plate amp. The 505 is a good bang for buck sub but it isn’t worth salvaging if you can’t get Polk to send an amp.
    Oh, Listen here mister. We got no way of understandin' this world. But we got as much sense of this bird flyin in the sky. Now there is a lot that bird don't know, but it don't change the fact that the world is happening to him all the same. What I am tryin to say is, is that the course of your life, well its changing, and you don't even see it- Forest Bondurant
  • Seriously, I had both of mine fail just within warranty. But was in the middle of moving so by the time I got around contacting support it was too late. Then when I look at pricing they want $300 a pop for replacement amps! The whole sub has been priced an average of $237.34 since 2016 and often drops down to $160 on good sales. Why is the amp priced significantly more than the average price of the sub itself?!? You would think a company would like to stay on good terms with their customers who have a history of buying their parts, buy offering affordable replacements components for their unreliable hardware. They keep saying its a $600 sub but its never been priced that way... With the failure rate and the excessive cost of repair I don't think I'll recommend Polk speakers, especially sub-woofers due to poor support and quality/reliability of their electronics. Why would you buy another set that will just fail. I have a cambridge soundworks been working for 20 years!!! My two PSW-505s were lucky to last three! :/