Polymeric Sand

Sorry to repost this, but I just realized that I had posted my question within a thread from 2017.

I bought the TransDeco speaker stands for the 703s. For now, I am using the little rubber isolation pads for the placement of the speaker on the top plate, but later I might add some blue tack to secure it a little better. I would like to add further weight to the base, but preserve the wire management capabilities of the stand. Has anyone ever tried using polymeric sand to fill the posts. It should harden and dry out after a while. I was thinking of inserting a small diameter conduit (e.g. PVC pipe) that exits the top and bottom holes and pouring polymeric sand around it.

Is that a bad idea?

Comments

• nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 24,981
    saturn1 wrote: »
    Sorry to repost this, but I just realized that I had posted my question within a thread from 2017.

I bought the TransDeco speaker stands for the 703s. For now, I am using the little rubber isolation pads for the placement of the speaker on the top plate, but later I might add some blue tack to secure it a little better. I would like to add further weight to the base, but preserve the wire management capabilities of the stand. Has anyone ever tried using polymeric sand to fill the posts. It should harden and dry out after a while. I was thinking of inserting a small diameter conduit (e.g. PVC pipe) that exits the top and bottom holes and pouring polymeric sand around it.

Is that a bad idea?

Only if you want to pour the sand out later. Many here use lead shot for adding weight.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson

• Only if you want to pour the sand out later. Many here use lead shot for adding weight.
    Weren't you using some military surplus depleted uranium? :D
    BlueFox Posts: 15,251
    Buy a decent sized speaker that doesn’t require a stand, and the question becomes moot. I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.
    Lumin X1 file player, Westminster Labs interconnect cable
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD; Pass XP-22 pre; X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers; SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on source, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,664
    They tend to image better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,524
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

Some people like to drive enormous SUVs and others like to drive small sports cars.
  • BlueFox
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

Some people like to drive enormous SUVs and others like to drive small sports cars.

Okay. What does that have to do with listening to your stereo?

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • And of course roon size comes to mind. I could never go back to smaller pole riders but both rooms where my rigs are aren't exactly small. If they were my towers would be totally overkill so pole riders it would be and stands as heavy as possible.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • They are doing OK on the stands without any added weight. The bookshelf speakers are a lot easier to position than the 707s. Those weigh close to 100 lbs. I do see your point Blue Fox, I am trying to figure out a way of positioning the 703s without using the stands. I'll probably have to build some kind of shelf, but I don't have the time right now. My house is a mess of speaker wire and boxes.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,874
    edited September 2019

Easy-peasy. It's hard to bring a big pair of floorstanding speakers home from the dealer in a small sports car. Unless you have a trailer for it.

B)
  • BlueFox
    If your car size determines your home stereo then you have bigger problems than what can fit in your car.

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03
    mlistens03 Posts: 2,767
    Buy a decent sized speaker that doesn’t require a stand, and the question becomes moot. I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

For me, they do take just as much space (In fact, the base of my stands are bigger than my LSis were), but because the stands are thinner than a floor-standing speaker and the speaker on top is smaller, my room feels much more open. They aren't quite as dominating the room. All my floor-standing speakers demanded the attention of the room, whereas standmounts don't seem to stand out (No pun intended B) ) nearly as much. IMO and FWIW :)
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,854
    If your car size determines your home stereo then you have bigger problems than what can fit in your car.

I went on foot to buy mine :o

Kidding btw
  • nooshinjohn
    Willow wrote: »

I went on foot to buy mine :o

Kidding btw

Brought my first set of SRS 1.2TL's home on a bicycle. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453

Mainly has to do with what I like. I own both, but, prefer the monitors for imaging.
  • tonyp063
    tonyp063 Posts: 1,038

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

• nooshinjohn
    tonyp063 wrote: »

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

How did you know. :p

• I guess I am the lucky one, I just slid my 2.3's side by side into the back of my excursion, out on to a refrigerator dolly and into the house. Had the set up (in 10 minutes) for the day and then the wife saw them. There were tears but the speakers are still here, the wife too.

That being said, I do like the idea of some modded LSi9's (they can sound amazing)
    OShag Posts: 10
    Sand does work well. I have my Eclipse TD712z Mk1 stands filled with sand. Adds weight and deadens any resonance.
  • I believe a combination of lead shot and sand would be very good. The lead shot adds more mass and the smaller particle size of the sand is better for occupying the voids. There are also theories regarding the dissipation of sound energy transmission to and from the floor by the friction of sand particles rubbing against each other.

There's no question that small speakers up near listening level on minimal (skinny) stands do image better, especially when they are brought forward into the room from the rear wall.
    George / NJ

Polk 7B main speakers, std. mods+ (1979, orig owner)
    Martin Logan Dynamo sub w/6ft 14awg Power Cord
    Crown D150 amp
    Logitech Squeezebox Touch Streamer w/EDO applet
    iFi nano iDSD DAC
    iPurifier3
    iDefender w/ iPower PS
    Custom Steve Wilson 1m UPOCC Interconnect
    iFi Mercury 0.5m OFHC continuous cast copper USB cable
    Custom Ribbon Speaker Cables, 5ft long, 4N Copper, 14awg, ultra low inductance
    Custom Vibration Isolation Speaker Stands and Sub Platform
  • Buy a decent sized speaker which doesn't require a stand.