Polymeric Sand

Sorry to repost this, but I just realized that I had posted my question within a thread from 2017.

I bought the TransDeco speaker stands for the 703s. For now, I am using the little rubber isolation pads for the placement of the speaker on the top plate, but later I might add some blue tack to secure it a little better. I would like to add further weight to the base, but preserve the wire management capabilities of the stand. Has anyone ever tried using polymeric sand to fill the posts. It should harden and dry out after a while. I was thinking of inserting a small diameter conduit (e.g. PVC pipe) that exits the top and bottom holes and pouring polymeric sand around it.

Is that a bad idea?

Comments

• nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,342
    saturn1 wrote: »
    Sorry to repost this, but I just realized that I had posted my question within a thread from 2017.

I bought the TransDeco speaker stands for the 703s. For now, I am using the little rubber isolation pads for the placement of the speaker on the top plate, but later I might add some blue tack to secure it a little better. I would like to add further weight to the base, but preserve the wire management capabilities of the stand. Has anyone ever tried using polymeric sand to fill the posts. It should harden and dry out after a while. I was thinking of inserting a small diameter conduit (e.g. PVC pipe) that exits the top and bottom holes and pouring polymeric sand around it.

Is that a bad idea?

Only if you want to pour the sand out later. Many here use lead shot for adding weight.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • civiliancivilian Posts: 299

Only if you want to pour the sand out later. Many here use lead shot for adding weight.
    Weren't you using some military surplus depleted uranium? :D
    Buy a decent sized speaker that doesn’t require a stand, and the question becomes moot. I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD
    Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
    Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
    Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
    Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
    Three 20 amp circuits.
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,710
    They tend to image better.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,140
    BlueFox wrote: »
    I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

Some people like to drive enormous SUVs and others like to drive small sports cars.
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,095
    Clipdat wrote: »
    I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

Some people like to drive enormous SUVs and others like to drive small sports cars.

Okay. What does that have to do with listening to your stereo?
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,611
    And of course roon size comes to mind. I could never go back to smaller pole riders but both rooms where my rigs are aren't exactly small. If they were my towers would be totally overkill so pole riders it would be and stands as heavy as possible.
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • saturn1saturn1 Posts: 30
    They are doing OK on the stands without any added weight. The bookshelf speakers are a lot easier to position than the 707s. Those weigh close to 100 lbs. I do see your point Blue Fox, I am trying to figure out a way of positioning the 703s without using the stands. I'll probably have to build some kind of shelf, but I don't have the time right now. My house is a mess of speaker wire and boxes.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,023
    edited September 13

Easy-peasy. It's hard to bring a big pair of floorstanding speakers home from the dealer in a small sports car. Unless you have a trailer for it.

B)
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,095
    If your car size determines your home stereo then you have bigger problems than what can fit in your car.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • mlistens03mlistens03 Posts: 2,632
    Buy a decent sized speaker that doesn’t require a stand, and the question becomes moot. I never understood the idea of little speakers on stands since they use as much room as a full size speaker.

For me, they do take just as much space (In fact, the base of my stands are bigger than my LSis were), but because the stands are thinner than a floor-standing speaker and the speaker on top is smaller, my room feels much more open. They aren't quite as dominating the room. All my floor-standing speakers demanded the attention of the room, whereas standmounts don't seem to stand out (No pun intended B) ) nearly as much. IMO and FWIW :)
    Not Tom or Trey or Jim just Micah
    KEF Q150s, NAD 1155 preamp and 4155 tuner courtesy of DaddyJT, NAD C352 playing power amp, BJC Belden cables, Technics SL3200, Marantz CD6004 courtesy of Clipdat, Salamander Archetype rack, Millenium Falcon :)
    I've always thought the goal of high-end audio was not to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Turn that darn music down' but to have your neighbors bang on the wall and say, 'Tell your friends to go home and you can practice later this week'.

Resident Child of Club Polk
  • WillowWillow Posts: 9,643
    If your car size determines your home stereo then you have bigger problems than what can fit in your car.

I went on foot to buy mine :o

Kidding btw
    2Ch- B&W 703, SVS PB10 NSD, Marantz NR1607, Parasound 1500a, Pro-Ject Debut Carbon (Yellow) with Acrylic platter, Pro-Ject phono pre, MIT AVT 2 speaker cables, MIT AVT 1 and AVT 2 ICs, XLO Jumpers, Signal Dig Coax, Signal Cable Magic Power Cables x3, Samsung 55JS7000, Harmony 1100, Sony BDP-S6200, Marantz DV-4200 (as Transport), Cambridge Audio DAC Magic100, Monster 3600MKII, Android Mi Box3 and Apple TV. - Pool /Gazebo Yamaha RX-A1010, Polk Patio 25x4, Rotel RDV 1045 (as CDP) MIT AVT3 ICs - Work - Spotify Premium or Neutron App to my FiiO Kunlun into my Grado SR125e

Willow wrote: »

I went on foot to buy mine :o

Kidding btw

Brought my first set of SRS 1.2TL's home on a bicycle. :D
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • kharp1kharp1 Posts: 3,350

Mainly has to do with what I like. I own both, but, prefer the monitors for imaging.
    Main System:
    Joule-Electra LA 100 MKIII Upgraded by Rich Brkich Pre
    Butler Audio TBD 2250 Amp
    PS Audio DirectStream DAC and MemoryPlayer Transport
    LSA-1 Statement
    SVS SB4000 & SB2000
    Wireworld Equinox 7 bi-wire, Wireworld Silver Eclipse 7 IC

Secondary Rig:
    Parasound P5, Audio Electronics by Cary Constellation
    Marsh a200s, Audio Elecrtonics by Cary Hercules
    Pioneer Elite DV-45a, Denon DVD-2910
    Klipsch Epic CF-1, Vandersteen 3CE sig
    Analysus Plus Oval

Backup Gear:
    Pass Labs Aleph 30, McCormack DNA-125, Parasound A21
    Marantz SA-14S1
    Usher CP-6311/Tyler Acoustics Taylo Reference Monitor, LSA-1
  • tonyp063tonyp063 Posts: 675

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

tonyp063 wrote: »

Uphill. In the snow. Both ways.

How did you know. :p

• civiliancivilian Posts: 299
    I guess I am the lucky one, I just slid my 2.3's side by side into the back of my excursion, out on to a refrigerator dolly and into the house. Had the set up (in 10 minutes) for the day and then the wife saw them. There were tears but the speakers are still here, the wife too.

That being said, I do like the idea of some modded LSi9's (they can sound amazing)
    Sand does work well. I have my Eclipse TD712z Mk1 stands filled with sand. Adds weight and deadens any resonance.