New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    I don’t agree Skip.

I think increased competition only hurts the bad dealers. If a dealer is getting hurt because customers have increased choices, it’s because they were not taking care of their customers.

I’m also big into cycling, we have been seeing this same dynamic playing out with local bike shops (LBS). Online competition has has put extra pressure on the LBS network and many have not weathered the storm.

However from what I’ve seen, it’s the poor LBS that got hit hardest. It’s a natural cleansing of the market place.

Increased competition makes dealers better and makes the whole experience better for the customer.

I think that’s a very, very good thing.
  • motorhead43026
    motorhead43026 Posts: 3,892
    edited September 2019
    Deleted
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • Upstatemax
    Upstatemax Posts: 2,623
    DSkip wrote: »
    I imagine with LBS it is a more service-oriented business, right? This is just selling product. When you have dealers invest six figures in your gear to demo it and you allow another guy down the street to become a dealer with a minimal investment that steals sales from the bigger guy, you've already began to lose. If it continues to happen, you end up with the big dealer dropping the brand and a bunch of little guys who don't represent the brand properly. The biggest issue I see here is that the brands mentioned are going to be repped by home theater integrators, not two channel enthusiasts. HT Integrators do not keep inventory and rarely have any demo products - they only sell based on price and interest.

It's a slippery slope.

A very, very small part of a LBS business is based on service. Usually around 10%

The money comes from bike sales.

Like audio, cycling has a traditional brick and mortar style business that allowed bike shops to be generally isolated. Customers wanted to experience the product before slapping down thousands of dollars, high end bikes can easily exceed $10,000 today. Was it the right fit for THEM, bikes are very personal.

Honestly, audio and cycling are VERY similar industries...

• mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,922
    The dealer search tool on the Polk front page shows me a Home Depot store some 40 miles from my home as the nearest Polk Dealer, when there is a Best Buy and a Fry’s that both carry the brand less than three miles away... I would say that tool is broken.

Dude -- I would totally buy a pair of L800s from Home Depot!

:)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Knowing home depot, it would be in the gardening section
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mhardy6647
    VR3 wrote: »

on the top shelf...
  • mhardy6647 wrote: »

on the top shelf...

And you can't find anybody to get them down.
    2 channel: Anthem 225 Integrated amp; Parasound Ztuner; TechnicsTT SL1350; Vincent PHO-8 phono pre; Marantz CD6005 spinner; Polk SDA2BTL's; LAT International speaker cables, ZU Mission IC's and power cables all into a PS Audio Dectet Power center.

Other; M10 series II, M7C's, Hafler XL600 amp, RB-980BX, Parasound HCA-1500 amp , P5 preamp, all in storage. All vintage Polk have had crossover rebuilds and tweeter upgrades.

The best way to predict the future is to invent it.

It is imperative that we recognize that an opinion is not a fact.

Imagine making politics your entire personality.
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    edited September 2019
    Give it time. If these live up to the hype, they will end up in more and more stores. Especially at their price point. It just might take a year or two to make it into places that seem like very obviously choices.
    I agree that time will tell all. I'm hoping for Polk that these get labeled as giant killers. Then, those with $4K-$10K to spend on speakers might take notice. If they get some to stretch their budget and others to spend less and adopt Polk into the audiophile fold, then they'll be on to something. Polk is large enough to make some noise in the marketplace.

Still, lets not forget the LSiM saga. I lived in MI, then moved to IN and could not find a place to demo the speakers in either area. I just knew there would be a huge selection in IL, greater Chi area. However, the choices were not there at all. Only Abt Electronics carried the line and they had very limited selections (703) of the LSiM on display. The 707 is $4K set. So, the smart people at Polk have a lot to figure out and a lot of work to do to move the $6K speakers and more expensive family.

Reviews will help....get them in the hands of all who don't refuse them!

Upstatemax wrote: »
    A very, very small part of a LBS business is based on service. Usually around 10%

The money comes from bike sales.

Like audio, cycling has a traditional brick and mortar style business that allowed bike shops to be generally isolated. Customers wanted to experience the product before slapping down thousands of dollars, high end bikes can easily exceed $10,000 today. Was it the right fit for THEM, bikes are very personal.

Honestly, audio and cycling are VERY similar industries...
    I used to work in the cycling industry and I agree! Back in the late 80's- early 90's the deep pocket customers that were spending $2K-$4K expected the dealer to cater to them and assist with the fit from pre-sales through years after the sale. Most wouldn't purchase from you if they did not trust in your service and satisfaction guarantee. Do them right the first time and they'll ALWAYS come back for that second, third, fourth, etc purchase. There was a lot of competition back then but I don't think that is true today. Still, the dealer network is crucial.
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • xsmi
    xsmi Posts: 1,786
    I live in NW Ohio. I can drive an hour north to Ann Arbor and listen to $250K Wilson Audios and $125K Sonus Fabers. I had. to drive 3.5 hours to a fellow Polkie's house to hear the LSiM's. I REALLY hope the Legends aren't a repeat of that experience.
    2-channelBelles 22A Pre, Emotiva XPA-2 Gen 2, Marantz SA8005, Pro-Ject RPM-10 Turntable, Pro-Ject Phono Box DS3B, Polk Audio Legend L800's, AudioQuest Cable throughout.
  • tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I have been starting to follow the new line up. Was surprised to find an upcoming event at Nebraska Furniture Mart in the DFW area. Not sure I will be able to experience the full line in a quality way.

You ever try to talk audio with the sales associates at NFM??? They may have been selling toasters or area rugs yesterday.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    OMG been gone for a few days and 81 new posts on this thread! Gotta get my read on! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    So just got caught up on this thread. Interesting the challenges of product distribution, many fans clamoring to get into a demo, all good problems to have, as we say in my biz! Means folks want to buy this product!

But, here is my biggest take away:

1i0cunrk24at.png

LMAO @nightfall !
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,314
    edited September 2019
    tratliff wrote: »
    I have been starting to follow the new line up. Was surprised to find an upcoming event at Nebraska Furniture Mart in the DFW area. Not sure I will be able to experience the full line in a quality way.

You ever try to talk audio with the sales associates at NFM??? They may have been selling toasters or area rugs yesterday.

Yes, but you can get an Extended Warranty/ Service Contract that can conveniently be added to our FREE Financial Package, well Free for the first 30 days anyway!

And btw, do you have the wires/ cables to properly hook up these beautiful speakers?

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    tratliff wrote: »

Yes, but you can get an Extended Warranty/ Service Contract that can conveniently be added to our FREE Financial Package, well Free for the first 30 days anyway!

And btw, do you have the wires/ cables to properly hook up these beautiful speakers?

Mike I think that is exactly how the conversation will go. Never will they be able to explain if they will work correctly with my mono blocks.

Hell, they won’t even know what mono blocks are.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    Interesting bit about possibly using two sets of L800s with height modules as front and rear speakers. Seems to imply no center channel may be needed in that configuration as well as no side surrounds.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • tonyb
    bump
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • mhardy6647
    I will resist posting a link to YT for a 1970s Jimmy Castor Bunch hit...
  • verb
    tonyb wrote: »
    bump

good call! :)
  • verb
    edited September 2019
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,704
    edited September 2019
    I'm sorry, the L100 lacks bass and therefore a fullness to the sound. The L200 is a much better speaker.

The author is incorrect about the low end, he quoted the overall. The -3dB is 57Hz.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• verb
    Glad you chimed in on this Jesse. I read the review and was a bit surprised by the comments regarding the L100 bass performance.
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    I know that one usually does not think of sub-woofers as legends, at least as far as legendary Polks, but I am wondering if there will eventually be a "Legend" sub to pair with the L100 or L200.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,964
    Polk has historically stayed away from high end subwoofers. There are so many options in that space, I don't see them trying to compete
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tonyb
    Polk has historically stayed away from high end subwoofers. There are so many options in that space, I don't see them trying to compete

I dunno Trey, they have to round it out and include a sub, HT is still a big part of their product line. Sig series has it's own sub, I see no reason why they would not make one for the legend series.

Granted, other brands are kicking rear end in the sub dept.,like you said, but that hasn't stopped Polk from putting out new subs in the past. Some people just like to keep everything brand specific.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • skrol
    skrol Posts: 3,330
    The brand specific thing is what I was thinking too.
    Stan

Main 2ch:
    Polk LSi15 (DB840 upgrade), Parasound: P/LD-1100, HCA-1000A; Denon: DVD-2910, DRM-800A; Benchmark DAC1, Monster HTS3600-MKII, Grado SR-225i; Technics SL-J2, Parasound PPH-100.

HT:
    Marantz SR7010, Polk: RTA11TL (RDO198-1, XO and Damping Upgrades), S4, CS250, PSW110 , Marantz UD5005, Pioneer PL-530, Panasonic TC-P42S60

Other stuff:
    Denon: DRA-835R, AVR-888, DCD-660, DRM-700A, DRR-780; Polk: S8, Monitor 5A, 5B, TSi100, RM7, PSW10 (DXi104 upgrade); Pioneer: CT-6R; Onkyo CP-1046F; Ortofon OM5E, Marantz: PM5004, CD5004, CDR-615; Parasound C/PT-600, HCA-800ii, Sony CDP-650ESD, Technics SA 5070, B&W DM601
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    tonyb wrote: »

I dunno Trey, they have to round it out and include a sub, HT is still a big part of their product line. Sig series has it's own sub, I see no reason why they would not make one for the legend series.

Granted, other brands are kicking rear end in the sub dept.,like you said, but that hasn't stopped Polk from putting out new subs in the past. Some people just like to keep everything brand specific.

They would need to try very hard to best my REL...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • PSOVLSK
    PSOVLSK Posts: 5,021

They would need to try very hard to best my REL...

And my SVS Plus/2.
    Things work out best for those who make the best of the way things work out.-John Wooden