An appreciation for my dad

Hello to all my fellow Polk Forum members.

I am sad to report that my father is now in a hospice facility. He was diagnosed with congestive heart failure a little over a year ago. Despite having a defibrillator installed and going through some PT specifically for his condition he had a bout with pneumonia/bronchitis that he simply cannot overcome. Other organs have begun to fail so he doesn’t have much time remaining.

I am grateful that my wife and I were able to make it to Chicago in time to talk with him, hold his hands, and to have those important moments to say what we need/want to say. He is still lucid, as of last night, but he’s asked for pain medication and his deteriorating condition will lessen his awareness as time goes on.

I have talked to a few forum members about this through PM’s but I wanted to share the news with the rest of my Polk family. This is where he wants to be and our main goal going forward is to keep him as comfortable as possible.

Some of you may remember that the wood I used for the base of my Bottlehead phono preamp came from the very last piece of mahogany that my father received from his uncle while he was living in Monrovia, Liberia.

My father is the one who instilled a love of stereo/reproduced music in me, among many, many, other things. I will forever cherish him and I am grateful to have had such an amazing father. He provided me with everything I needed to succeed in life. I love you dad!

Here is a picture of the mahogany base on the Bottlehead:
6aguooab0gdq.jpeg

Thanks for listening/reading :)
Audio: Polk S15 * Polk S35 * Polk S10 * SVS SB-1000 Pro
HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10

Comments

• dromunds
    dromunds Posts: 9,969
    Sorry to hear this. Best wishes for your father and your family.
  • indyhawg
    indyhawg Posts: 1,633
    So sorry to hear Victor. Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
  • joecoulson
    joecoulson Posts: 4,943
    Prayers for your father and the family Vic.
  • pglbook
    pglbook Posts: 2,163
    Very sorry to hear about this, halo. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your family. Unfortunately I had to deal with a similar thing about 2 years ago when my mother went into hospice. While it was of course extremely difficult, it was also an amazing time to be able to spend every one of her last few days with her and to share so much love. Take a deep breath and enjoy the time that you have left together... hold your father's hand and talk to him...talk and talk and talk...and let him know everything you are feeling and how much he means to you...even while he is sleeping he will hear you. My mother lost consciousness in her last 2 days (she was in hospice for a week) but she still heard everything I told her. Best wishes for you and your loved ones.
  • Very touching post & heart felt. Prayers for your dad & family!
    Denon AVR X4200W
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    Parasound A23 amplifier
    LG 65" Ultra HD4k
    LG 4kBR - UP970
    Denon DVM 4800
    Denon DP 3000 turntable
    Saec 308sx tonearm w/
    Dynavector 10x5 cart
    Vincent PHO 701 Phono Preamp
    MIT Avt3 Speaker c's
    Audio Quest Big Sur ic's
    Polk SDA 1C's modded
    Polk LSim 707
    Polk LSiM706c
    Polk RTiA 3's
    Polk 80F/X-RT
    Polk DSW PRO 440wi sub
    Infinity bu2 sub
    "The early Klingon gets the Gagh"
  • GlennDog
    GlennDog Posts: 3,084
    Nicely said, Vic. Prayers sent
    AC Regenerator PS Audio PerfectWave Power Plant 10
    Source Lumin U1 Mini into Lampi Baltic 4
    Pre Cary SLP-05
    Power Rogue M180 Dark monos
    Mains Salk HT2-TL
    Rythmik F12
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    I'm very sorry to hear this Victor, sending comforting thoughts to your family.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,033
    God be with you, your father and your entire family though this time and always. Be mindful of the little things, as within them are sometimes the greatest joys. Just like that piece of mahogany, something so small, yet so meaningful...

May this time bring peace and love to all.
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • jdjohn
    jdjohn Posts: 2,987
    Praying for peace and comfort. I can certainly relate as my dad is having some serious health issues as well...tough decisions to make.
    "This may not matter to you, but it does to me for various reasons, many of them illogical or irrational, but the vinyl hobby is not really logical or rational..." - member on Vinyl Engine
    "Sometimes I do what I want to do. The rest of the time, I do what I have to." - Cicero, in Gladiator
    Regarding collectibles: "It's not who gets it. It's who gets stuck with it." - Jimmy Fallon
  • WagnerRC
    WagnerRC Posts: 2,138
    You are a great son. Prayers for your family.
  • pitdogg2
    pitdogg2 Posts: 24,471
    It's never easy Victor to watch someone as special as a father or mother go through the last stages of life. You do have that Bottlehead and that with the chills and goosebumps that will come the many times listening to music remembering the love of music your father instilled with you. I myself still have the memories and smells of family members who have passed while listening to songs we both sat and grooved to together.

<3<3<3
    May the higher power take and lead him to a better place and let you know how wonderful of a son you where for helping him through.

• daddyjt
    daddyjt Posts: 2,305
    I am glad you are able to be there for him at this time. I live every day with regret for not going to see my mother “just one more time...”.

Take care, and Godspeed.
    "Conservative Libertarians love the country, progressive leftists love the government." - Andrew Wilkow

“Human beings are born with different capacities. If they are free, they are not equal. And if they are equal, they are not free.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

• polrbehr
    polrbehr Posts: 2,825
    edited September 2019
    I feel humble and honored that you chose to share this. I offer my good thoughts and prayers for you and your Dad. I miss mine a lot, and wish I had the chance you have to be with yours.
    So, are you willing to put forth a little effort or are you happy sitting in your skeptical poo pile?

http://audiomilitia.proboards.com/
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    Prayers to you and yours, brother.

Troy
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Praying for your family.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • kharp1
    kharp1 Posts: 3,453
    Thanks for sharing this, Victor. Sorry to hear about your dads condition, but, am thankful you were able to get there to spend some time with him. Thoughts and prayers.
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Very much appreciated :)
    HT: Samsung QN90B * Marantz NR1510 * Panasonic DMP-BDT220 * Roku Ultra LT * APC H10
  • JayCee
    JayCee Posts: 1,474
    Sorry to read this. Glad to see you've been able to find solace in seeing and talking with him. Sounds like a wonderful guy. That Bottlehead is a beautiful piece and I'm sure will remind you of great memories in the years to com. Best wishes for your dad, family and you.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: PS Audio P15 Power Plant Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends Streaming: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC, TP-Link WAP, & Uptone EtherREGEN, AfterDark, Emperor Double Crown Clock, Black Modernize LPS, PS Audio AirLens⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • scubalab
    scubalab Posts: 3,101
    So sorry to hear this Victor. Cherish and make the most of every minute you have to spend with your dad. Prayers sent my friend!
  • gudnoyez
    gudnoyez Posts: 8,056
    So sorry to hear the news.
    Home Theater
    Parasound Halo A 31 OnkyoTX-NR838 Sony XBR55X850B 55" 4K RtiA9 Fronts CsiA6 Center RtiA3 Rears FxiA6 Side Surrounds Dual Psw 111's Oppo 105D Signal Ultra Speaker Cables & IC's Signal Magic Power Cable Technics SL Q300 Panamax MR4300 Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables Audioquest Forest USB Cable

2 Channel
    Adcom 555II Vincent SA-T1 Marantz SA 15S2 Denon DR-M11 Clearaudio Bluemotion SDA 2.3tl's (Z) edition MIT Terminator II Speaker Cables & IC's Adcom 545II Adcom Gtp-450 Marantz CD5004 Technics M245X SDA 2B's, SDA CRS+

Stuff for the Head
    JD LABS C5 Headphone Amplifier, Sennheiser HD 598, Polk Audio Buckle, Polk Audio Hinge, Velodyne vPulse, Bose IE2, Sennheiser CX 200 Street II, Sennheiser MX 365

Shower & Off the beaten path Rigs
    Polk Audio Boom Swimmer, Polk Audio Urchin B)
  • Sorry to hear. I lost my dad in April. Miss him every day...
  • aprazer402
    aprazer402 Posts: 3,087
    So sorry, prayers for your Dad and family.
  • So sorry to hear of your fathers condition. Sounds like he is a remarkable man that has been a great influence on your life.
  • So sorry to hear. I pray his journey will be peaceful.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,050
    Victor, my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family at this difficult time. Sounds like you're making the best of it and getting some quality time in with him.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,961
    Saying good bye is tough. Glad you were able to do so while he could still appreciate it. Peace to all.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • Milito
    Milito Posts: 1,907
    Very sorry to hear about your Dad. Just remember the good times when the time comes.
    Yamaha RX-A2070, Musical Fidelity M6si integrated amp, Benchmark Dac1, Bluesound NODE 2i, Audiolab 6000CDT CD Transport, Parasound Zphono USB Phono Preamp, Fluance RT85, Ortofon 2M Bronze, Polk L600's, L400, L900's, RC80i's, SVS 3000 Micro, Audioquest Interconnects and Digital Cables, Nordost Silver Shadow Digital Cable, Cullen Gold and Crossover Series Power Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 12AWG OCC Speaker Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha Analog Interconnect Cables, Douglas Connection Alpha 11 OCC Custom Power Cable, Signal Power Cable, Furman PL-8C 15 Power Conditioner, Sony 65" 900F, Sony UBP-X700, Fios, Apple TV 4K, Audioquest Chocolate HDMI Cables.
  • voltz
    voltz Posts: 5,384
    Sorry to hear this Victor! I miss talking to my Dad more then anything as I know you will and have all ready found! but that bottle head looks so special it makes me so happy and sad all at the same time... I makes me smile big time at what you made it into!

Kudo's to you my Friend as now you can always listen to music thru this headphone amp and know you made you father proud! This is so special.
    2 ch- Polk CRS+ * Vincent SA-31MK Preamp * Vincent Sp-331 Amp * Marantz SA8005 SACD * Project Xperience Classic TT * Sumiko Blue Point #2 MC cartridge

HT - Polk 703's * NAD T-758 * Adcom 5503 * Oppo 103 * Samsung 60" series 8 LCD
  • halo
    halo Posts: 5,616
    A sincere thank you to all of you for your support.

My father passed away this morning just after 7 am.

He was not alone as my sister, nephew, and cousin were there. He wasn’t in any pain. He simply stopped breathing while he slept. This is what he wanted. We should all be so fortunate. He is at peace. I will miss him.