The Polk Legend Series is coming

Comments

• oldrocker
    oldrocker Posts: 2,590
    Seeing all the comments on these new Polk's has been a lot of fun for me.

I remember back in 2012 when I got my set of big boy SDA's, then joined this place and wow, what a ride it has been for me ever since.

Now 7 years later Polk does this, exciting times indeed!!!

Will I get a set? I don't know, maybe.

I'm on my 4th set of speakers demo and really like getting to try them in my own room.

The idea of new technology/SDA stuff is exciting for sure.

But, being old and weird, I have a few concerns on the visuals, aluminum drivers, dimple things, Polk's commitment to customer service which has seemed to slip a bit over the years.

That being said and for me only, there is some proof in the pudding on this whole SDA stuff with my old Polk's, to this day they still sound good "pain in the arse to move" but still sound/rock the house quite well.

I hope they knock peoples socks off and sell a bunch of them B)
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,965
    The drivers are not aluminum. They are a slightly different variant from the LSI aerated poly
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • oldrocker
    I meant aluminum looking.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    oldrocker wrote: »

but two of them have turbine cones.

ahem.

:#
  • oldrocker
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oldrocker wrote: »

but two of them have turbine cones.

ahem.

:#

Would match my beanie cap that has a propeller on it.... :o

• mhardy6647
    In the interest of rhetorical balance :p -- there have certainly been some fine sounding drivers with bumpy cones...

RCALC-1A%2B%2B1.jpg

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    That's just one.

Where's the rest of them?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    OK, OK, don't rush me!

;)
  • Hopefully some of our trusted members can get their ears on them, for real feedback/reviews.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer

dhsspeakerservice.com/
  • WLDock
    WLDock Posts: 3,073
    @BDT's post above led me to a corollary thought (?!): How dependent on the end-user's room is the performance of these new SDAs gonna be?
    Several factors remain the same. One, are the super picky audiophiles. Two, would be the dual ported 10's per side for sure will overload some rooms.

2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • WLDock
    edited September 2019
    In the interest of rhetorical balance :p -- there have certainly been some fine sounding drivers with bumpy cones...
    Jstas wrote: »
    That's just one.
    Where's the rest of them?
    Many driver cone variations out there that improve breakup issues and frequency response.

ScanSpeak with their sliced paper cone
    18m_jan16.jpg

Fostex - HR (Hyper Radial) cone design
    review-speakers-fostex-gx250mg-everything-changes-when-you-rotate-the-knob-raqwe.com-02.jpg

ELAC 400 Line - crystal membrane cone
    maxresdefault.jpg

Boston Acoustics M Series - mass loaded rectangular tabs on the midrange cone
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe7bY2wowYZyYW8vkgMS2Ste9tKrIWOLZUn5PUICFuhd96JNzj
    Making+a+Better+Midrange.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    2.2 Office Setup | LG 29UB55 21:9 UltraWide | HP Probook 630 G8 | Dell Latitude | Cabasse Stream Amp 100 | Boston Acoustics VS 240 | AUDIORAX Desk Stands | Mirage Omni S8 sub1 | Mirage Omni S8 Sub2
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    Those ELAC drivers look cool...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • Jstas
    Oh, I know about them, there's quite a few in the car audio world as well. I was just giving Doc Hardy a hard time.

• WLDock
    edited September 2019
    Those ELAC drivers look cool...
    I agree. Its a nice looking speaker all around.
    Vela403s__87268.1560402607.380.500.jpg?c=2

They those just draw you in like a black hole. I would like to hear that line as well as the new $500 Debut Reference they introduces at RMAF.
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    I'm late to the party as well but these look nice, with SDA's thrown into the mix, it's a nice touch. When I first saw the term "Legend" I thought to myself, well, looking at the pictures I couldn't see how "Legend" fit into it. The new SDA's bring it "almost" full circle, passives would have done it to the full.

That being said, for me, the prices are pretty dang steep. After looking at the specs for them all, not just the L800, dang, you'll need some serious, serious power to get these to play to their potential. This definitely puts Polk back into a different ballpark. These are not the "affordable" speaker for many of us, me included. However, having said that I'm super excited that Polk finally did the SDA's again, no matter the form, or price!

I can't wait to demo the new bookshelves that will be on the way, to all who signed up, in the coming months. It kind of makes me nervous about handling an $1800/pair of speakers though!

Hats off to Polk! I, for one, never, ever thought they'd ever do the SDA's again!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • muncybob
    muncybob Posts: 2,962
    I'm sure after hearing them I'll want them but won;t be able to pony up those bucks right away. But I still want to hear them and hint strongly for the next few years what I want for retirement.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500A(indoor sound) and HCA1000(outdoor sound), Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B, Rythmik L12 sub.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Jstas wrote: »
    Oh, I know about them, there's quite a few in the car audio world as well. I was just giving Doc Hardy a hard time.

Like fishin' in a barrel...

;)
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I'm late to the party as well but these look nice, with SDA's thrown into the mix, it's a nice touch. When I first saw the term "Legend" I thought to myself, well, looking at the pictures I couldn't see how "Legend" fit into it. The new SDA's bring it "almost" full circle, passives would have done it to the full.

That being said, for me, the prices are pretty dang steep. After looking at the specs for them all, not just the L800, dang, you'll need some serious, serious power to get these to play to their potential. This definitely puts Polk back into a different ballpark. These are not the "affordable" speaker for many of us, me included. However, having said that I'm super excited that Polk finally did the SDA's again, no matter the form, or price!

I can't wait to demo the new bookshelves that will be on the way, to all who signed up, in the coming months. It kind of makes me nervous about handling an $1800/pair of speakers though!

Hats off to Polk! I, for one, never, ever thought they'd ever do the SDA's again!

I was a tad surprised (although I likely shouldn't have been) by the very low sensitivity, especially given the low nominal impedance, of the flagship L800 loudspeakers. I had the same thought; they're likely gonna be seriously hard to drive. The cost of proper equipment might (?!) dissuade some of the market.

Conversely, the kind of folks who might already have sufficient firepower online might view the L800s as a step backwards -- the only wild card there being the power of the SDA stereo soundfield.

That latter thing, of course, will absolutely require a demo -- or some sort of generous return policy to buy down risk.

I will reiterate that the price doesn't seem at all outrageous to me for statement loudspeakers in 2019. Again -- frickin' Cornwall IV is the same price!
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • mhardy6647
    1. I totally concur with @tonyb (FWIW) vis-a-vis the price. There are so, so many four and five figure loudspeakers nowadays (some of them most unremarkable). Not to be a broken record ;) but there's a lot more there there in the L800s than the 'new' Klipsch Cornwall IVs.

2. Seems to me that there is way less to go wrong with any of the Legend Series than any of the problematic products @tonyb mentioned. There's no Alexa, no firmware, and no integrated circuits/EPROMs! ;) In seriousness, as long as DEI Holdings/Directed Electronics (whatever) doesn't have fabrication or QC issues with their subs who actually build the loudspeakers, they should be trouble-free and easy to support. If they sound good, they should help bolster/resurrect the Polk reputation.

• kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Alright Ill ask, since I haven't come across the info yet, but really have not sought it out either. Are the smaller bookies or smaller towers in the series also considered "SDA"?
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    By all appearances, no, they are not.
    @F1nut 'said' the L800 was the only SDA in the lineup that was rolled out.
    EDIT: to wit,

F1nut wrote: »
    gudnoyez wrote: »
    schwarcw wrote: »
    I am hoping to hear them at the Capital Audiofest. I'd be interested in hearing the next size smaller in addition to the big ones.

I dont think there are any size smaller, I believe the L800s are the only one being released.

The L800 is the only SDA, but there are other speakers in the Legend series.

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/comment/2532540#Comment_2532540
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,902
    No, they are not. The Legend series has improvements as well, but the bookies are not SDA or the smaller towers.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Viking64
    Viking64 Posts: 6,646
    I would like to see the website background feature images of the new Legend Series.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Viking64 wrote: »
    I would like to see the website background feature images of the new Legend Series.

One would hope that's the ultimate plan, eh?

EDIT: Of course, they are featured on the site's splash page; perhaps this forum is too much of a backwater to be updated as well? :(

q1khmsc03p8a.png
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
  • Jstas
    You know what would be awesome?

An SDA crossover.

Just the crossover.

And a couple plates with a way to ensure proper alignment of the bookshelf faces.

Then I could get a set of the bookies and use the crossover to wire them up in an SDA configuration.

Then Polk doesn't have to make an SDA bookshelf speaker. They just make one with "some assembly required".

• tratliff
    tratliff Posts: 1,651
    I spent the better part of the morning catching up on this thread. Many opinions about these unseen/unheard speakers. F1 has good insight into what has gone into them and what to expect.

I don’t see the listed MSRP being much of a barrier. But I won’t drop the cash without being able to inspect and listen to them in a quality setup. I just hope our DSkip has a pair in his listening room soon for evaluation. Based on my experience with his setups they will be powered appropriately.
    2 Channel Rosso Fiorentino Volterra II, 2 REL Carbon Limited, Norma Revo IPA-140B, Lumin U2 Mini, VPI Prime w/SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC, Modwright PH 150, Denon DP-59l w/Denon DL-301MKII, AudioQuest Thunderbird Speaker and Interconnect Cables, AudioQuest Niagara 7000 w/Dragon and Hurricane Power Cables
  • kevhed72
    kevhed72 Posts: 4,949
    Viking64 wrote: »

Yeah, and I would like a pony for Christmas this year pal!
    😉
  • tonyb wrote: »
    I think Polk knows this, so I don't believe that they are selling 6k speakers hoping for a lot of volume in sales. What they will gain is a resurrection in people looking into all their speaker lines. Raise their optics on the interest scale in a crowded field of mid-fi companies.

This is the "halo" effect and no matter what, this should help out Polk.

Back in the 80's when I was in high school, there was no way I could afford the SDA 1.2 big boys or any level of SDA at the time. That didn't stop me from frequenting Classic Stereo in Grand Rapids, Michigan every chance I got. I loved going in there and seeing/listening to those speakers. I ended up getting the Polk 5jrs as that's all I could afford back then. But I can tell you I got them because of their SDA line.

Car companies do the same thing as well. Do you think Ford planned on selling a lot of 500's when they came out? No, they were not cheap. Same could be said for the Viper, or the top line Corvette, or Dodge Demon. Not everyone can afford them, but they generate interest in the brand and bring people in.

I think the new SDA will do that for Polk. Not everyone will be able to afford them, but they will bring interest in the brand and other speakers they produce. I sure hope they do anyway.

Speakers
    Energy RC-70 Mains, Energy RC-LRC Center, Energy RC-R (x4) Rear Channels, Energy RC-R (x2) Front Effects
    Polk 5jr+
    Polk SDA 2B
    Polk SDS 3.1TL

Equipment
    Panamax 5510 Re-generator Power Conditioner
    Yamaha RX-V3800 Receiver
    Digital Sources: Sony CDP-X339ES CD Player, HHB CDR830 BurnIt Professional CD Recorder, Sony PS3, Oppo DV-983H DVD Player
    Analog Sources: Sony TC-K890ES Cassette, Nakamichi DR-1 Cassette, Technics SL-7 Turntable
  • verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Bump tp get back on topic! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.