New Polk Audio "Legend" Speaker Series shown at 2019 Hong Kong High End Audio Video Show

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    Oh Lord, I’ve never listened to a podcast before! Here we go! :smile:
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    vmaxer wrote: »
    TopperDude wrote: »

Thanks for sharing. Seems they have never heard SDA’s before.

This is interesting, and entirely plausible! A whole generation of younger audio enthusiasts were born after Polk ceased production of the SDA’s!
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • verb
    I’m smiling after listening to the podcast. These guys are giddy! Game changer they call it, wow! Very exciting to see the younger generation be exposed to SDA for the first time!

Kinda like I was back in the day! Blew my mind! :)

I’m very happy for Polk, looks like they got a winner! :)
  • Have you guys seen the initial thoughts posted by Gene from Audioholics?

Initial Impressions by Gene DellaSala
    Polk Legend L800 SDATheo Nicolakis and I were able to listen to the L800 SDA speaker system at the 1st Annual Sound United Event back in May 2019. It was hard to keep a tight lip on what an awesome sonic experience that was. When I first sat down in the room and saw the dual side by side dual mid/tweeter array, it reminded me of the Dominator MX speakers from the 80's comedy movie Ruthless People starring Danny Devito and Judge Reinhold. I thought to myself, this speaker is going to be a sonic disaster of comb filtering, unless they were doing some type of DSP to the signal or feeding 4CH discete channels of audio to it. From the first audio track they played for us, my concerns disappeared almost as quickly as the speakers in the room. I was left with a huge stereo soundstage that seemed to expand laterally past the sidewalls all while maintaining proper directional cues dead center when they should be. I just assumed we were listening to a multi-CH recording but Stu informed us after a few tracks that we were listening to nothing more than regular 2CH music. WOW! This was truly the most impressive speaker I heard at the Sound United event and had me fantasying about having a pair of these speakers in my own dedicated 2CH listening space. I thought to myself Polk has been reborn. Stu explained that the speakers had no DSP processing and they were only powered by a 2CH amp like any conventional speaker but with the addition of a proprietary cable attached between the two speakers to do the L-R and R-L cancellations similar to the old Hafler circuit. The L800 SDA is definitely a speaker we will be reviewing next year to further report on. I have fond memories of the old SDA series of speakers growing up in the late 80s so this is a nice homage to the past but with some impressive updates and what a great exit for Stu Lumsden. He must be proud of his 40+ year tenure at Polk Audio.

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-legend-series
  • Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    Hyme2019 wrote: »
    Well I’ve confirmed the Polk Legend series will only be sold through Prosource dealers.

Source?
  • vmaxer
    vmaxer Posts: 5,116
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Hyme2019 wrote: »
    Well I’ve confirmed the Polk Legend series will only be sold through Prosource dealers.

Source?

@Hyme2019 is in distribution, probably has good information.
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    Have you guys seen the initial thoughts posted by Gene from Audioholics?

Initial Impressions by Gene DellaSala...

Stu explained that the speakers had no DSP processing and they were only powered by a 2CH amp like any conventional speaker but with the addition of a proprietary cable attached between the two speakers to do the L-R and R-L cancellations similar to the old Hafler circuit...

https://www.audioholics.com/tower-speaker-reviews/polk-legend-series

"Like the old Hafler circuit" ;)
    Is this damning with faint praise? :(

rdbq407lnvxt.png
    fweyuhkyfly7.png
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,707
    It's been a looooong while, like over 10 years now, but when I went to Bob McG's place to get the Amazings, he had his massive and modded SDA's hooked up. He had them powered by Hafler amps and I believe he had the "old Hafler circuit" too. He did a comparison and while the Hafler circuit thing made a difference in imaging on any set of stereo speakers, it was more akin to the Carver Sonic Holography than anything close to what SDA can do.

Also, SDA pre-dates the Hafler stuff and it's just evidence of how out-of-touch that reviewer is. I mean, you don't have to know everything about audio to be a reviewer but man, is that some lazy journalism that this fool Gene couldn't be bothered to research his claims before publication. And where's the editor in this making sure the stories are correct, researched and annotated?

What passes for journalism anymore? I think I had more stringent requirements on my book reports in 6th grade than most "journalists" are subject to nowadays.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    Jstas wrote: »
    Also, SDA pre-dates the Hafler stuff and it's just evidence of how out-of-touch that reviewer is. I mean, you don't have to know everything about audio to be a reviewer but man, is that some lazy journalism that this fool Gene couldn't be bothered to research his claims before publication...

The reviewer's out of touch, all right, but not on that point. :p

Just to be clear; David Hafler's (founder of Dynaco and proprietor before that of the legendary Acrosound transformer business) Hafler circuit/Dynaco's Dynaquad dates to the very early 1970s (maybe even late 1960s). In fact, there is a direct line from Hafler's "Dynaquad" to the matrix quad standards (SQ and QS) of the early-mid 1970s to Dolby ProLogic. The latter is a direct descendant of the former 'innovations', and the latter led to today's alphabet soup of multichannel formats (for better or for worse).

Note that I am not saying that Dynaquad is in the "SDA" lineage -- "SDA" is a direct descendant, as best I can tell, of early stereo recording research; specifically the binaural approach to making true stereo (audibly three dimensional) sound recordings.

Binaural audio has never really quite gone away -- in its very limited sandbox, it's a pretty phenomenal technique.

eeun5s8o2tns.png

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    I had a Dynaco Quadaptor in the HT rig for quite awhile.......

I'm of the opinion that Quad (and it's itinerant variations) and SDA are different animals. Quad is....and this is MY opinion.....more about surround whereas SDA is only about achieving true stereo 2ch separation.

I'd argue that Sonic Holography is more akin to SDA, in terms of achieving the same effect via different means.

I thought the Quadaptor was a pretty cool device and in my application, offered results that were pretty comparable to Dolby Pro Logic.

I wonder if I sold that thing or if I still have it somewhere...

BDT
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    BDT wrote: »

I'm of the opinion that Quad (and it's itinerant variations) and SDA are different animals. Quad is....and this is MY opinion.....more about surround whereas SDA is only about achieving true stereo 2ch separation.

I'd argue that Sonic Holography is more akin to SDA, in terms of achieving the same effect via different means.

I thought the Quadaptor was a pretty cool device and in my application, offered results that were pretty comparable to Dolby Pro Logic.

BDT

I concur (FWIW) -- with the possible exception of Carver's "Sonic Holography" :p You may well be right about it; I just have limited ears-on experience myself, so I dunno.

PS There is a QD-1 Quadaptor here, too! (imagine that...)

• rooftop59
    rooftop59 Posts: 7,952
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    BDT wrote: »

BDT
    PS There is a QD-1 Quadaptor here, too! (imagine that...)

Superfluous components at the hardy house?!? I don’t believe it...
    Living Room 2.2: Usher BE-718 "tiny dancers"; Dual DIY Dayton audio RSS210HF-4 Subs with Dayton SPA-250 amps; Arcam SA30; Musical Fidelity A308; Sony UBP-x1000es; Squeezebox Touch with Bolder Power Supply
    Game Room 5.1.4:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Sony UBP-x700; Definitive Technology Power Monitor 900 mains, CLR-3000 center, StudioMonitor 350 surrounds, ProMonitor 800 atmos x4; Sub - Monoprice Monolith 15in THX Ultra

Bedroom 2.1
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Polk RT25i; ACI Titan Subwoofer
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    I've listened a good bit to SDA, SH and the Quad...........

Sonic Holography.....you know, it COULD sound good under certain circumstances. El Grande (RIP) was a big believer in SH. I was not....but the mention of Bob Carver gave El Grande a woodrow, so there is that. I digress, on certain material and as long as the setup was perfect...SH worked as advertised and the effect was similar to SDA.

IIRC, Polk also released some early rear surround speakers that had the Hafler circuit installed.

BDT

• FTGV
    FTGV Posts: 3,649
    The SDA difference signal is extracted exactly like in the Hafler/Dynaquad circuit. The difference being (no pun intended)the extra speakers/drivers are used at the front of the soundstage instead of the rear. Hafler's circuit preceded SDA by over decade.
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    I was gonna throw some shade on Mr. Carver (not Mr. Grand!), but I decided it was imprudent and off-topic :p
  • nooshinjohn
    nooshinjohn Posts: 25,034
    I was gonna throw some shade on Mr. Carver (not Mr. Grand!), but I decided it was imprudent and off-topic :p

Leave Bob out of this... or Fmalitz will show up and begin telling us how he made Polk what it was back in the day, and how we would all have gramophones if it weren't for him and his supreme intelligence. >:)
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, Mcintosh C2300 Arcam AVR20, Oppo UDP-203 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk Audio Legend L800 with height modules, L400 Center Channel Polk audio AB800 "in-wall" surrounds. Marantz MM7025 stereo amp. Simaudio Moon 680d DSD

“When once a Republic is corrupted, there is no possibility of remedying any of the growing evils but by removing the corruption and restoring its lost principles; every other correction is either useless or a new evil.”— Thomas Jefferson
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019

Leave Bob out of this... or Fmalitz will show up and begin telling us how he made Polk what it was back in the day, and how we would all have gramophones if it weren't for him and his supreme intelligence. >:)

I had that very thought when I originally besmirched Mr. Carver a wee bit in a prior post above... and then edited it and cleaned it up. :p

I mean, I coulda picked on... you know... Leon Russell. :#

https://forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/177800/leon-russells-estate-sale-i-had-to-smile
  • Kurt300
    Kurt300 Posts: 302
    Skip, my sources say that the Polk Legend series will only be sold through Prosource dealers. You're welcome.
  • mhardy6647
    Dang -- my sources don't even know what a Prosource dealer is.

:(
  • I think it’s lame in my 3 state territory there is maybe one dealer I can see maybe displaying them. And I see him bringing in the SDA towers and after he sells them, well I would be surprised if he brings them back in only because he does Paradigm, KEF, Focal, Golden Ear, SVS, Klipsch, Martin Logan, so Polk would be like his 7th line in terms of importance. So 3 states and maybe one dealer. Sometimes I don’t get manufacturers. The Signature line for example. Great product, but it’s beginning to be footballed around too much and I assure you we aren’t the reason why. Manufacturers can control pricing, Paradigm and or Kef would be 2 good examples. So then Polk comes out with some excellent products that won’t be well distributed at least in our area. I get making sure a dealer is authorized and qualified to sell such product, but in this area even B & W will be by far more widely distributed by comparison. You shouldn’t have to drive 6-7 plus hours to maaayyybbeee be able to see and hear product. But what do I know.
  • rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Dang -- my sources don't even know what a Prosource dealer is.

:(

That’s an English word worth only $0.44. That’s a pretty cheap word you have to look up.
  • DSkip I assume your a prosource dealer what lines of speakers do you carry?
  • DSkip, I don’t think it matters if you buy through distribution or are prosource either way when product goes on “sale” online I don’t think Polk is passing along any sell through credits, that being said we do offer discounts via instant rebates from time to time and they come from Polk. You have a Nebraska Furniture mart near you, in Texas right? I’m not sure I see nfm selling a lot of $6,000 a pair speakers, but I could be wrong. Been a while since I’ve been in one.
  • From secrets of home theater and high Fidelity:

Polk audio used RMAF to launch their new Legend line of speakers to the general public. While they had static examples of the entire line on display, the speaker that was doing "all the talking" in this demo was the flagship L800 SDA. The SDA in the name stands for Stereo Dimensional Array which was invented by Matthew Polk in the early 1980s. SDA's purpose is to minimize the interaural crosstalk that occurs with all stereo speaker by using specially configured driver arrays to help cancel the effect. Anyone remember those full page audio magazine ads, back in the day, with Mr. Polk standing in front of some pretty imposing speakers? Same principle at play in those speakers back then has been refined and is at play in the new L800 SDA. For SDA to completely work it's voodoo, you need to sit precisely between the speakers, hence the seating arrangement you see in the photos. When I moved off center during the demo the L800 SDAs sound like a very good pair of conventional speakers. When I sat myself down in the money seat however, sonic imagery came into super-tight focus. I was able to pick out exact positioning of performers in the jazz ensemble piece that was playing. Not just from left right but from front to back as well. It was eerily precise. The L800 SDA had plenty of dynamics and great overall sound that you would wish for in a pair of speakers. But that experience in the center seat was more than just some gimmick, it's addictive. MSRP is $6000.00 for a pair. Availability should be later this year.
    Polk Audio
    #RMAF2019 #Loudspeakers #polk #press
  • Can't wait to put my ears on these down under .....What equipment and cables were used on the L800's
    at the RMAF?
    Sorry if this has already been asked!
  • mhardy6647
    edited September 2019
    From secrets of home theater and high Fidelity:

...For SDA to completely work it's voodoo, you need to sit precisely between the speakers, hence the seating arrangement you see in the photos. When I moved off center during the demo the L800 SDAs sound like a very good pair of conventional speakers. When I sat myself down in the money seat however, sonic imagery came into super-tight focus. I was able to pick out exact positioning of performers in the jazz ensemble piece that was playing. Not just from left right but from front to back as well. It was eerily precise. The L800 SDA had plenty of dynamics and great overall sound that you would wish for in a pair of speakers. But that experience in the center seat was more than just some gimmick, it's addictive. MSRP is $6000.00 for a pair. Availability should be later this year.
    Polk Audio
    #RMAF2019 #Loudspeakers #polk #press

[emphasis added]

The reviewer clearly did like 'em, but the Jamaican bobsled team seating configuration seems like something that dealers may have to sell against. :|

Polk-RMAF-cover-shot-RMAF-2019-768x512.jpg
    7gd0c3u23tfj.png
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,708
    Definitely Marantz gear and probably Audioquest cables.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Thanks Jess,you wouldn't know the internal size compared to the big old boys would you?