Polk ad in October Stereophile

BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,026
I am looking through the new issue of Stereophile, and there is a Polk ad for the new SDA speakers. Good job.

dkvnzxa53qqe.jpeg

77xeb66li383.jpeg
Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
Sony XA-5400ES SACD
Pass XP-22 pre, X600.5 amps
Magico S5 MKII Mcast Rose speakers, SPOD spikes

Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR on preamp, Denali 2000 (2) on amps
Shunyata Sigma XLR analog ICs, Sigma speaker cables
Shunyata Sigma HC (2), Sigma Analog, Sigma Digital, Z Anaconda (3) power cables

Mapleshade Samson V.3 four shelf solid maple rack, Micropoint brass footers
Three 20 amp circuits.

Comments

• vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,455
    Nice
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 22,931
    That first sentence of ad copy strikes me as goofy.
    These aren't just the best SDA speakers ever -- they're the next great line of loudspeakers from Polk

"The best SDA speakers ever" seems like a bigger deal than "the next great line of loudspeakers from Polk", at least from the sperspective of the SDA fans.

On the "plus" side: Ad in Stereophile = review by Stereophile ?
    I'd love to see JA's quantitative measurements!

• BDTBDT Posts: 208
    edited September 10
    l70kptbl5q1c.jpeg
    i0f0up5ngt5v.jpeg
    Polk used to be a big advertiser in Stereophile.... glossy full page ads. It didn’t endear them to the reviewers, just the bean counters.

BDT
    edited September 10
    BDT wrote: »
    l70kptbl5q1c.jpeg
    i0f0up5ngt5v.jpeg
    Polk used to be a big advertiser in Stereophile.... glossy full page ads. It didn’t endear them to the reviewers, just the bean counters.

BDT

apropos of this post (albeit not exactly on-topic, sorry!) -- www.americanradiohistory.com is an incredible resource of vintage documentation pertaining to broadcast radio and even hifi. I mention this because (and most folks here likely know this already) the site includes more or less complete archives of scans of the late and more or less lamented Audio, Stereo Revier and High Fidelity magazines. Better still, the scans are (more or less) searchable -- in other words, these periodicals' myriad Polk ads and reviews are 'discoverable'!

https://www.americanradiohistory.com/hd2/IDX-Audio/search.cgi

e.g., from Audio magazine, March 1990:

5ackzrulbdkj.png

and from Stereo Review, April 1996:

m6xx6i563x8l.png
  • EndersShadowEndersShadow Posts: 16,816
    I'd still love to own a set of SRTs lol
    "....not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." William Bruce Cameron, Informal Sociology: A Casual Introduction to Sociological Thinking (1963)
    Wow, I did not know that?....cool link!

You sir, are a steely eyed missile man!

BDT
    I'd still love to own a set of SRTs lol

I would, too, as a wannabe Polk completist.
    I am a long way off from collecting 'em all, though. :|
    There is an SRT system for sale in NY for 3K....looks to be complete.

If it weren't so far away....I'd seriously consider it.

BDT
  • rooftop59rooftop59 Posts: 5,843

BDT

They are not powered right? For that coin with the LSiM firesale if you’re patient you could get 707s a 706 and 703s and fxs and still have some coin left to go towards a receiver. That’s the route I would go for that dough...
    HT Rig:
    Denon AVR-X4200w; Peachtree Audio NovaPre; B&K TX4430; Bryson BPD-1; Mains: Dynaudio Excite x18; Center - Polk cs400i; Heights, Center Surround - Klipsch KHC - 6 In-Ceiling; Surrounds - Monoprice in-ceiling; Sub - HSU VTF-2 MK5; LG UP870 4K BDP; NVidia ShieldTV
    ;
    Master Bedroom
    Cambridge Azur 551r; Definitive Technology SM45, NHT Super One CI surrounds, Martin Logan Dynamo (original), Squeezebox Touch
    The SRT system is a horse of a different color.........I want an SRT just because it's, well, the SRT. ;)

BDT

• FTGVFTGV Posts: 3,648

Agreed .IMO JA does the most thorough and technically in depth speaker reviews in print. It would be nice to see his evaluation of the 800's.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

FTGV wrote: »

Agreed .IMO JA does the most thorough and technically in depth speaker reviews in print. It would be nice to see his evaluation of the 800's.
    mhardy6647 wrote: »

Yeah, he does. Absolutely the best thing about the magazine. Well, OK, that and Art Dudley. And Herb Reichert (on a good day).
    IMO, of course.

I love to see real impedance plots of loudspeakers ('specially modern ones, with their crazy crossovers).

:|
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,288

BDT

Never know it could be Ed's. He did mention that he might divest from a couple. :smiley:
  • F1nutF1nut Posts: 42,654
    rooftop59 wrote: »

BDT

They are not powered right? For that coin with the LSiM firesale if you’re patient you could get 707s a 706 and 703s and fxs and still have some coin left to go towards a receiver. That’s the route I would go for that dough...

The SRT system has to be heard to be believed, it will blow your sack back and then some. Truly an experience you will never forget.

The SRT subwoofers are powered, the rest is not.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

edited September 10
    I don't think it's Ed's....it's on usaudiomart or one of those sites.....

Yup, the SRT is just MANLY.

I'm trying to think.......F1, do you remember the gear they were using at HQ Polk? It wasn't cheapie stuff but it wasn't ridiculously esoteric either...

Considering how everything went with Polk Audio.....perhaps we SHOULD have grabbed the folklift and boosted the one at HQ Polk. I wonder what happened to all that stuff.

BDT
    Conrad-Johnson amp, but I don't remember the rest. I do remember the SRT's made my hair move.

It's out in Vista, CA now.....sigh.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

It still makes my berries tingle thinking about it.

I'm trying to remember what the Pre was.....Theta?

Yup. We should have boosted it then....
    That's it, Theta.

President of Club Polk

• ClipdatClipdat Posts: 7,126
    Still haven't received my copy!
    "Electronic music is human sound adapting to indulge technology, and for some, it feels like the signature sound of energy. New and abstract sounds over hypnotic rhythms can conjure vast soundscapes for escape, pleasure, and transcendence."
  • mrlorenmrloren Posts: 2,076
    F1nut wrote: »
    Conrad-Johnson amp, but I don't remember the rest. I do remember the SRT's made my hair move.

It's out in Vista, CA now.....sigh.

Nice place too. If they have a demo of the Legends there maybe I can look for it.
    When I was a kid my parents told me to turn it down. Now I'm an adult and my kids tell me to turn it down.

Family Room:
    Samsung UN75RU710DFXZA,
    Denon AVR-X4400H, Emotiva XPA3 GEN3
    Oppo BDP-93,Sony UBP-X800BM, WD Live HUB.
    Main: Polk LsiM 705
    Center: Polk LSiM 704C
    Front High/Rear High In-Ceiling Polk 80F/X RT
    Surrounds: Polk S15
    Sub: HSU VTF3-MK5

Bed Room;
    Marantz SR5010, BDP-S270
    Main: Polk Signature S20
    Center: Polk Signature S35
    Rear: Polk R15
    Sub: HSU STF-2

Working Warehouse;
    Sony 2100ES AVR, Sony DVP-NS3100ES for disc
    Cerwin Vega AT-12 (blasters) Advent Prodigy (listening)
    Old sony 12" Sub
    Mini tower PC with 400GB of music
  • NightfallNightfall Posts: 8,189
    SRT's only offer a single thrill per minute? I was hoping for at least three.
    afterburnt wrote: »
    They didn't speak a word of English, they were from South Carolina.

Village Idiot of Club Polk
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,026
    Music, beer, and smokable medicine provides that.
    Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • BlueFoxBlueFox Posts: 12,026
    Clipdat wrote: »
    Still haven't received my copy!

Hopefully, it shows up soon. The one thing I dislike about the Post Office is the potential for something to get lost in the mail.

Bud - Silicon Valley

Lumin X1
    Sony XA-5400ES SACD

Three 20 amp circuits.
  • JayCeeJayCee Posts: 564
    Last confirmed sighting of an unmolested SRT system at Polk HQ...don't tell anyone but DK has them. :wink:
    The 10th annual Polkfest was held at Polk Audio's corporate headquarters in Baltimore, MD September 21 and 22, 2012. This Polkfest coincided with Polk's 40th anniversary!...

027SRTsNIB-s.jpg
    Figure 27. I spotted a new-in-box SRT System way up high in the warehouse. I suggested to the warehouse manager that he should sell it to me since they obviously weren't using it. He said it had been sitting in storage since 1995 and he didn't think anyone would miss it. Besides, there was another set in storage. I gave him $300 cash and he told me to come back Sunday morning and pick up the boxes.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • vmaxervmaxer Posts: 4,455
    Hmmmm....
    Pio Elete Pro 520
    Panamax 5400-EX
    Sunfire TGP 5
    Micro Seiki DD-40 - Lyra-Dorian and Denon DL-160
    PS Audio GCPH phono pre
    Sunfire CG 200 X 5
    Sunfire CG Sig 405 X 5
    OPPO BDP-83 SE
    SDA SRS 1.2TL Sonicaps and Mills
    Ctr CS1000p
    Sur - FX1000 x 4
    SUB - SVS PB2-Plus

Workkout room:
    Sony Bravia XBR- 32-Inch 1080p
    Onkyo TX-DS898
    GFA 555
    Yamaha DVD-S1800BL/SACD
    Ft - SDA 1C

Not being used:
    RTi 38's -4
    RT55i's - 2
    RT25i's -2, using other 2 in shop
    LSI 15's
    CSi40
    PSW 404
    DK didn't them because I saw them and the other one at a later date.

President of Club Polk

• JayCeeJayCee Posts: 564
    Figures, $300 bribe gets you nowhere in 2012.
    Speakers: Polk1.2tl's (Uber Mods) Pre/Amp/DAC: PS Audio BHK Signature & 250, Perfectwave DirectStream Cables/IC's: MIT S1Bi-Wire/S1 Balanced +Avel Lindberg 1000VA "Dreadnought" Power Conditioner: Core Power Technologies EQUI=CORE 1800 Power Cords: Core Power Technologies Gold, DH Labs Power Plus DIY w/Neotech NC-P301 & P311ends FLAC Streamer: Roon ROCK on wifi'd NUC⟿Ω☯☥☮⟿🔊♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬♩♪♫♬
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,297
    Perhaps they are still there....
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

“If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • pitdogg2pitdogg2 Posts: 14,288
    I got $500.00......