The Polk Legend Series is coming

Comments

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    CH46E wrote: »
    This is how I deal with the fact that I can't pay $6K for the new Legends. :'(

9tplc88dar5h.jpg

Careful, after 2 bottles, with the credit card all fired up, L800's all around for a 11.2 HT setup! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    halen wrote: »
    This mentality. This waiting for blow off sales.

So many here talked so much and complained equally as much. Well now SDA’s are here. And now all this nonsense.

I never spoke highly of SDA’s because I never had the experience. But. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

It costs $2000 more than the 707’s. In the grand scheme of things, this is no where near high end price range.

I don’t give 2 cents for reviews either. I have a habit. I like what I like and not what others say. It is a very simple concept.

Pencil me in. If I like, I will own it. It is not complicated.

Hahaha lol.

xqa080wxk9m4.jpg

So you will have a pair asap to review for us right? Put your $6,000 where your mouth is.
  • F1nut wrote: »
    The Legend speakers are not going to be sold at Best Buy.

Never saw an LSi series that was.

Really want to hear these but probably better for it since I have way too many speakers already. Got modded LSi9's (VR3) and LSi FX's boxed up with no place to put them. The HT is now just a 2CH system with LSiM703's instead.

Unfortunately the BT/Wifi speakers get more attention these days. With studying children I can't play the system like I used to. :'(

• verb
    verb Posts: 10,176
    F1nut wrote: »
    The Legend speakers are not going to be sold at Best Buy.

Never saw an LSi series that was.

Really want to hear these but probably better for it since I have way too many speakers already. Got modded LSi9's (VR3) and LSi FX's boxed up with no place to put them. The HT is now just a 2CH system with LSiM703's instead.

Unfortunately the BT/Wifi speakers get more attention these days. With studying children I can't play the system like I used to. :'(

Yep! I'm sure a bunch of us are thinking, how to unload the stable, and prepare for the L800's! Myself included of course! :)
    Basement: Polk SDA SRS 1.2tl's, Cary SLP-05 Pre with ultimate upgrade,McIntosh MCD301 CD/SACD player, Northstar Designs Excelsio DAC, Cambridge 851N streamer, McIntosh MC300 Amp, Silnote Morpheus Ref2, Series2 Digital Cables, Silnote Morpheus Ref2 Series2 XLR's, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Pangea Power Cables, MIT Shotgun S3 IC's, MIT Shotgun S1 Bi-Wire speaker cables
    Office: PC, EAR Acute CD Player, EAR 834L Pre, Northstar Designs Intenso DAC, Antique Sound Labs AV8 Monoblocks, Denon UDR-F10 Cassette, Acoustic Technologies Classic FR Speakers, SVS SB12 Plus sub, MIT AVt2 speaker cables, IFI Purifier2, AQ Cinnamon USB cable, Groneberg Quatro Reference IC's
    Spare Room: Dayens Ampino Integrated Amp, Tjoeb 99 tube CD player (modified Marantz CD-38), Analysis Plus Oval 9's, Zu Jumpers, AudioEngine B1 Streamer, Klipsch RB-61 v2, SVS PB1000 sub, Blue Jeans RCA IC's, Shunyata Hydra 8 Power Conditioner
    Living Room: Peachtree Nova Integrated, Cambridge CXN v2 Streamer, Rotel RCD-1072 CD player, Furman 15PFi Power Conditioner, Polk RT265 In Wall Speakers, Polk DSW Pro 660wi sub
    Garage #1: Cambridge Audio 640A Integrated Amp, Project Box-E BT Streamer, Polk Tsi200 Bookies, Douglas Speaker Cables, Shunyata Power Conditioner
    Garage #2: Cambridge Audio EVO150 Integrated Amplifier, Polk L200's, Analysis Plus Silver Oval 2 Speaker Cables, IC's TBD.
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675

So many here talked so much and complained equally as much. Well now SDA’s are here. And now all this nonsense.

I never spoke highly of SDA’s because I never had the experience. But. I am willing to put my money where my mouth is.

It costs $2000 more than the 707’s. In the grand scheme of things, this is no where near high end price range.

I don’t give 2 cents for reviews either. I have a habit. I like what I like and not what others say. It is a very simple concept.

Hahaha lol.

xqa080wxk9m4.jpg

So you will have a pair asap to review for us right? Put your $6,000 where your mouth is.

I don’t know who you are. You do not know who I am either.

I do know you are funny.
  • CH46E
    CH46E Posts: 3,521
    edited September 2019

Hahaha lol.

xqa080wxk9m4.jpg

I do know you are funny.

Pretty good bro. Thanks. I like making people laugh. I truly hope you get a pair!
  • halen
    halen Posts: 675

Hahaha lol.

xqa080wxk9m4.jpg

I do know you are funny.

Pretty good bro. Thanks. I like making people laugh. I truly hope you get a pair!

End of day. That is all that matters. Making some ones day. As for getting a pair.... lol. It does cost a lot. No joke there.

You got me. I was bluffing. You got me.

Cheers!!!
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    I don't know what the 1.2TL's sold for as a pair, but looking into the archives their MSRP per pair was $3,400 in 1991 dollars.

That comes out to about $5,500 in today's money. Given the advancement in technology and materials, while $6K is no small check, seems almost in check for what they just may offer.....definitely can't wait to hear them.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    It costs $2000 more than the 707’s. In the grand scheme of things, this is nowhere near high end price range.

It is exactly as this poster says.

Again -- one may now buy a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls -- complete with the mumps -- for $6k. Wonder if Klipsch has even added any bracing to the Cornwall's historically big, empty vented plyood box equipped with cheap drivers?

• cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415

PREACH IT!!!!

Decades of begging and whining, and now that they got what they asked for, they are back pedaling so fast they are tripping over thier own and everyone elses feet! The pathetic excuses, and justifications are thick enough to get buried in. It's beyond sad.

I will look forward to your review when you get them Halen.

My hat is off to Stu for making the effort to grant the wishes of the SDA cult that lives here. You are retiring on a very high note. It's too bad, that the majority of them were just talking garbage.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,711
    cfrizz wrote: »

PREACH IT!!!!

Decades of begging and whining, and now that they got what they asked for, they are back pedaling so fast they are tripping over thier own and everyone elses feet! The pathetic excuses, and justifications are thick enough to get buried in. It's beyond sad.

My hat is off to Stu for making the effort to grant the wishes of the SDA cult that lives here. You are retiring on a very high note. It's too bad, that the majority of them were just talking garbage.

Just because you can't afford them is no reason to show your true colors. Talk about sad......wow!
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clipdat
    Clipdat Posts: 12,560
    I think they're reasonably priced, all things considered.
  • K_M
    K_M Posts: 1,627
    F1nut wrote: »
    cfrizz wrote: »

PREACH IT!!!!

Just because you can't afford them is no reason to show your true colors. Talk about sad......wow!

Wow, talk about an unnecessary comment, that does not even address what Cathy is saying and sways into outright rudeness.

I think she deserves an apology, at the least.
  • F1nut
    You always seem to be on the wrong side of the tracks.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Clearly some passion on the subject of price!

IMHO it’s not about their retail price I have no doubt they are well worth it. My cynicism is based on Polk’s habit of deeply discounting their lines on a regular basis. It’s very much a “sell to the masses strategy“ which devalues their product before it even releases and makes it difficult for retailers to compete.

Something of a unilateral pricing policy would go far to help maintain the value of their lines. Here’s hoping they can do that for the new series and still sell well.
    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,862
    Can we get back on topic and discuss the speakers and not people's character or weather or not they can afford them.
  • F1nut
    Yes, please.

President of Club Polk

• BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    edited September 2019
    Eh, is someone's passion less fervent because they can't or won't purchase something? I don't think so......

I'm not a put yo' money where yo' mouth is person. I'm pretty passionate about muscle cars and would love for GM to put out a real muscle car again (not a Corvette but an actual car). If they did, I probably wouldn't buy one but I'm still passionate about 'Murican muscle.

I think we've also had this theoretical conversation in the past as well anyway with the concensus being that most couldn't or wouldn't pony up the coin. Me personally? I know myself....I generally move speakers after a period of time. I've been through SCADS of them.....after telling myself, this is it. I'm done. So, knowing that...and knowing I'm not alone in that mentality.....I'm more than happy to wait until they hit the used market.

Let's move along...

BDT
  • gmcman
    gmcman Posts: 1,739
    Not to beat a horse, late to the party... but someone had to purchase the big SDA's when they hit the market back in the 80's and 90's, some people still have them, so why is it any different now?

There will be people that purchase new, and people that purchase used, what's changed is we have the internet to discuss our options, safe bet these same conversations would have gone around back in the day.

Anyone that has questions regarding specs, doesn't mean they won't purchase them, sounds like careful planning on a respectable purchase.
  • CH46E wrote: »
    This is how I deal with the fact that I can't pay $6K for the new Legends. :'(

9tplc88dar5h.jpg

Less of the bottle and more on the saving throttle you could own them in no time!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • tophatjohnny
    tophatjohnny Posts: 4,162
    edited September 2019
    Jstas wrote: »
    Until money starts growing on trees, any purchase of 4 figures or more should be thought about and not entered in to based on peer pressure, bravado or hubris.

Anyone who is going to mock, antagonize or try to pressure someone into that folly is acting deplorably, even if they are doing it in the name of calling someone out on what they believe was empty boistering.

SDAs weren't cheap back in the 80's and 90's but they weren't that significant of a price. Times have changed though and whether it's $1200 in later 80's, early 90's dollars or $6000 in 2019 dollars, that still a used Corolla worth of change.

Polk's always been about affordability giving the common guy access to actual high fidelity. Polk is the reason I laugh at the idea that a certain price threshold is the gateway to "good" or "real good" sound.

That said, I can afford the $6K price tag. However, I was taken a bit by surprise for the price tag too. $6K can buy me a bunch of stuff that takes far higher priority than speakers. New air conditioners, new garage doors, new windows, new appliances...$6K can buy a lot of stuff that's far more necessary than speakers.

If the price tag was half that, I'd be in yesterday, no problem. I could swing that and have the credit card paid off in a couple months. But double that, we're talking half a year on the plastic, at least, sucking up interest at a generous 22%. That's significant and I won't be doing that because I'm not independently wealthy and money actually matters to me.

But no matter how much smack anyone has talked, I'm not going to get down on anyone who's going through the disappointment of sticker shock. 'Cause while these are within reach of many, they are out of reach of a very many more. That very many more are the ones who wanted to see the tech again and while some of that very many might be willing to take the leap and go and buy them despite the financial risk/hardship they might endure because of it, I can't blame them at all for wanting to listen to them first.

Only an idiot would buy something for $6K, sight unseen, ear unheard. I'd say not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is one I'm going to be paying for so you damn sure better have those dental records handy 'cause I'm lookin' at them, hard.

Despite what arrogant, self-important trolls on the internet think of me.

I'll drink to that and amen. If I didn't already have two sets of decent towers (like a lot of members here do) the new big boys do look tempting. And outside of shipping costs back to the polk ranch , who says you can't get a good home demo done?
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
  • Jstas wrote: »
    Until money starts growing on trees, any purchase of 4 figures or more should be thought about and not entered in to based on peer pressure, bravado or hubris.

Anyone who is going to mock, antagonize or try to pressure someone into that folly is acting deplorably, even if they are doing it in the name of calling someone out on what they believe was empty boistering.

SDAs weren't cheap back in the 80's and 90's but they weren't that significant of a price. Times have changed though and whether it's $1200 in later 80's, early 90's dollars or $6000 in 2019 dollars, that still a used Corolla worth of change.

Polk's always been about affordability giving the common guy access to actual high fidelity. Polk is the reason I laugh at the idea that a certain price threshold is the gateway to "good" or "real good" sound.

That said, I can afford the $6K price tag. However, I was taken a bit by surprise for the price tag too. $6K can buy me a bunch of stuff that takes far higher priority than speakers. New air conditioners, new garage doors, new windows, new appliances...$6K can buy a lot of stuff that's far more necessary than speakers.

If the price tag was half that, I'd be in yesterday, no problem. I could swing that and have the credit card paid off in a couple months. But double that, we're talking half a year on the plastic, at least, sucking up interest at a generous 22%. That's significant and I won't be doing that because I'm not independently wealthy and money actually matters to me.

But no matter how much smack anyone has talked, I'm not going to get down on anyone who's going through the disappointment of sticker shock. 'Cause while these are within reach of many, they are out of reach of a very many more. That very many more are the ones who wanted to see the tech again and while some of that very many might be willing to take the leap and go and buy them despite the financial risk/hardship they might endure because of it, I can't blame them at all for wanting to listen to them first.

Only an idiot would buy something for $6K, sight unseen, ear unheard. I'd say not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is one I'm going to be paying for so you damn sure better have those dental records handy 'cause I'm lookin' at them, hard.

Despite what arrogant, self-important trolls on the internet think of me.

giphy.gif

Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000

Down
    LSiM707 - 706c - 702f/x - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

• rpf65
    rpf65 Posts: 2,127
    Does anybody know, or make a guess, concerning room size?

I may not even have the space for those big 800’s.
  • maximillian
    maximillian Posts: 2,142
    edited September 2019
    In my earlier comments I was just wondering how the average Joe/Jane, who hasn't heard of Polk, gets to hear them other than word of mouth. With the market shifting towards small & convenience (BT), will this generation ever get out of the grind and want to listen to something more serious? I think they need to have a listen and hear what they have been missing to break the trend.

As Jstas mentioned, for the money I have a lot of other priorities but may change my mind if I can audition them. I have really loved by LSi's and have learned to settle on their performance. I thought I was going to stick to my VR3 modded 9's but then I got a sweet deal on 703's. Also, unfortunately I too have gravitated to convenience since I can get a certain brand of speaker for cheap. B)

I never quite got the soundstage with the LSi's that others brag about. Maybe it's gear or my listening room. Perhaps these might get me back to serious listening sessions. Truly, I am excited about these. Anything pushing audio excellence regardless of brand is a wonderful thing.

Must say though as others... the look is... meh. And what happened to non-parallel surfaces of the LSiM series?
  • BDT
    BDT Posts: 212
    I think the new SDA will sell like the old SDA..... by being demoed at a dealer.

Think about it.....I know it was really true for me.... I was dubious about SDA until I heard it so I’m sure part of this is building a dealer network which is more of a challenge now. However once you hear SDA it’s addictive. Now, if they get you to demo the L800.... maybe you don’t have the wedge for those but, we do have other Polk speakers that are more affordable.....

The SRS lineup was a pricey speaker back in the day so the price thing is what it is...
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 32,926
    edited September 2019
    @BDT's post above led me to a corollary thought (?!): How dependent on the end-user's room is the performance of these new SDAs gonna be?

Just wondering if an xx day return policy, as has become widely fashionable in the loudspeaker biz, is going to be a key to selling these successfully?