The Polk Legend Series is coming

189101214

Comments

  • BDTBDT Posts: 212
    edited September 9
    Eh, is someone's passion less fervent because they can't or won't purchase something? I don't think so......

    I'm not a put yo' money where yo' mouth is person. I'm pretty passionate about muscle cars and would love for GM to put out a real muscle car again (not a Corvette but an actual car). If they did, I probably wouldn't buy one but I'm still passionate about 'Murican muscle.

    I think we've also had this theoretical conversation in the past as well anyway with the concensus being that most couldn't or wouldn't pony up the coin. Me personally? I know myself....I generally move speakers after a period of time. I've been through SCADS of them.....after telling myself, this is it. I'm done. So, knowing that...and knowing I'm not alone in that mentality.....I'm more than happy to wait until they hit the used market.

    Let's move along...

    BDT
  • gmcmangmcman Posts: 1,501
    Not to beat a horse, late to the party... but someone had to purchase the big SDA's when they hit the market back in the 80's and 90's, some people still have them, so why is it any different now?

    There will be people that purchase new, and people that purchase used, what's changed is we have the internet to discuss our options, safe bet these same conversations would have gone around back in the day.

    Anyone that has questions regarding specs, doesn't mean they won't purchase them, sounds like careful planning on a respectable purchase.
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,704
    CH46E wrote: »
    This is how I deal with the fact that I can't pay $6K for the new Legends. :'(

    9tplc88dar5h.jpg

    Less of the bottle and more on the saving throttle you could own them in no time!
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    *****************************
  • tophatjohnnytophatjohnny Posts: 2,704
    edited September 9
    Jstas wrote: »
    Until money starts growing on trees, any purchase of 4 figures or more should be thought about and not entered in to based on peer pressure, bravado or hubris.

    Anyone who is going to mock, antagonize or try to pressure someone into that folly is acting deplorably, even if they are doing it in the name of calling someone out on what they believe was empty boistering.

    SDAs weren't cheap back in the 80's and 90's but they weren't that significant of a price. Times have changed though and whether it's $1200 in later 80's, early 90's dollars or $6000 in 2019 dollars, that still a used Corolla worth of change.

    Polk's always been about affordability giving the common guy access to actual high fidelity. Polk is the reason I laugh at the idea that a certain price threshold is the gateway to "good" or "real good" sound.

    That said, I can afford the $6K price tag. However, I was taken a bit by surprise for the price tag too. $6K can buy me a bunch of stuff that takes far higher priority than speakers. New air conditioners, new garage doors, new windows, new appliances...$6K can buy a lot of stuff that's far more necessary than speakers.

    If the price tag was half that, I'd be in yesterday, no problem. I could swing that and have the credit card paid off in a couple months. But double that, we're talking half a year on the plastic, at least, sucking up interest at a generous 22%. That's significant and I won't be doing that because I'm not independently wealthy and money actually matters to me.

    But no matter how much smack anyone has talked, I'm not going to get down on anyone who's going through the disappointment of sticker shock. 'Cause while these are within reach of many, they are out of reach of a very many more. That very many more are the ones who wanted to see the tech again and while some of that very many might be willing to take the leap and go and buy them despite the financial risk/hardship they might endure because of it, I can't blame them at all for wanting to listen to them first.

    Only an idiot would buy something for $6K, sight unseen, ear unheard. I'd say not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is one I'm going to be paying for so you damn sure better have those dental records handy 'cause I'm lookin' at them, hard.

    Despite what arrogant, self-important trolls on the internet think of me.

    I'll drink to that and amen. If I didn't already have two sets of decent towers (like a lot of members here do) the new big boys do look tempting. And outside of shipping costs back to the polk ranch , who says you can't get a good home demo done?
    "if it's not fun, it's not worth it & remember folks, "It's All About The Music"!!
    *****************************
  • Inspector 24Inspector 24 Posts: 1,230
    Jstas wrote: »
    Until money starts growing on trees, any purchase of 4 figures or more should be thought about and not entered in to based on peer pressure, bravado or hubris.

    Anyone who is going to mock, antagonize or try to pressure someone into that folly is acting deplorably, even if they are doing it in the name of calling someone out on what they believe was empty boistering.

    SDAs weren't cheap back in the 80's and 90's but they weren't that significant of a price. Times have changed though and whether it's $1200 in later 80's, early 90's dollars or $6000 in 2019 dollars, that still a used Corolla worth of change.

    Polk's always been about affordability giving the common guy access to actual high fidelity. Polk is the reason I laugh at the idea that a certain price threshold is the gateway to "good" or "real good" sound.

    That said, I can afford the $6K price tag. However, I was taken a bit by surprise for the price tag too. $6K can buy me a bunch of stuff that takes far higher priority than speakers. New air conditioners, new garage doors, new windows, new appliances...$6K can buy a lot of stuff that's far more necessary than speakers.

    If the price tag was half that, I'd be in yesterday, no problem. I could swing that and have the credit card paid off in a couple months. But double that, we're talking half a year on the plastic, at least, sucking up interest at a generous 22%. That's significant and I won't be doing that because I'm not independently wealthy and money actually matters to me.

    But no matter how much smack anyone has talked, I'm not going to get down on anyone who's going through the disappointment of sticker shock. 'Cause while these are within reach of many, they are out of reach of a very many more. That very many more are the ones who wanted to see the tech again and while some of that very many might be willing to take the leap and go and buy them despite the financial risk/hardship they might endure because of it, I can't blame them at all for wanting to listen to them first.

    Only an idiot would buy something for $6K, sight unseen, ear unheard. I'd say not to look a gift horse in the mouth but this horse is one I'm going to be paying for so you damn sure better have those dental records handy 'cause I'm lookin' at them, hard.

    Despite what arrogant, self-important trolls on the internet think of me.

    giphy.gif


    Down
    RTiA9 - CSiA6 - FXiA6 - Dual HSU VTF-15H Mk2
    Parasound HCA-3500 - HCA-2003A - Marantz SR7005
    Sim2 D60 - Dragonfly 106" Panny 500

    Up
    LSi15 LSiC - RX-V3000
  • rpf65rpf65 Posts: 2,083
    Does anybody know, or make a guess, concerning room size?

    I may not even have the space for those big 800’s.
  • maximillianmaximillian Posts: 2,085
    edited September 9
    In my earlier comments I was just wondering how the average Joe/Jane, who hasn't heard of Polk, gets to hear them other than word of mouth. With the market shifting towards small & convenience (BT), will this generation ever get out of the grind and want to listen to something more serious? I think they need to have a listen and hear what they have been missing to break the trend.

    As Jstas mentioned, for the money I have a lot of other priorities but may change my mind if I can audition them. I have really loved by LSi's and have learned to settle on their performance. I thought I was going to stick to my VR3 modded 9's but then I got a sweet deal on 703's. Also, unfortunately I too have gravitated to convenience since I can get a certain brand of speaker for cheap. B)

    I never quite got the soundstage with the LSi's that others brag about. Maybe it's gear or my listening room. Perhaps these might get me back to serious listening sessions. Truly, I am excited about these. Anything pushing audio excellence regardless of brand is a wonderful thing.

    Must say though as others... the look is... meh. And what happened to non-parallel surfaces of the LSiM series?
  • BDTBDT Posts: 212
    I think the new SDA will sell like the old SDA..... by being demoed at a dealer.

    Think about it.....I know it was really true for me.... I was dubious about SDA until I heard it so I’m sure part of this is building a dealer network which is more of a challenge now. However once you hear SDA it’s addictive. Now, if they get you to demo the L800.... maybe you don’t have the wedge for those but, we do have other Polk speakers that are more affordable.....

    The SRS lineup was a pricey speaker back in the day so the price thing is what it is...
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,564
    edited September 10
    @BDT's post above led me to a corollary thought (?!): How dependent on the end-user's room is the performance of these new SDAs gonna be?

    Just wondering if an xx day return policy, as has become widely fashionable in the loudspeaker biz, is going to be a key to selling these successfully?
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,227
    Seeing all the comments on these new Polk's has been a lot of fun for me.

    I remember back in 2012 when I got my set of big boy SDA's, then joined this place and wow, what a ride it has been for me ever since.

    Now 7 years later Polk does this, exciting times indeed!!!

    Will I get a set? I don't know, maybe.

    I'm on my 4th set of speakers demo and really like getting to try them in my own room.

    The idea of new technology/SDA stuff is exciting for sure.

    But, being old and weird, I have a few concerns on the visuals, aluminum drivers, dimple things, Polk's commitment to customer service which has seemed to slip a bit over the years.

    That being said and for me only, there is some proof in the pudding on this whole SDA stuff with my old Polk's, to this day they still sound good "pain in the arse to move" but still sound/rock the house quite well.

    I hope they knock peoples socks off and sell a bunch of them B)
  • VR3VR3 Posts: 23,551
    The drivers are not aluminum. They are a slightly different variant from the LSI aerated poly
    - Not Tom

    "No, that's silly talk. Dude, you can't possibly be this audio dumb so quit the act." - Doro
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,227
    I meant aluminum looking.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,564
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I meant aluminum looking.

    but two of them have turbine cones.

    ahem.

    :#
  • oldrockeroldrocker Posts: 2,227
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    oldrocker wrote: »
    I meant aluminum looking.

    but two of them have turbine cones.

    ahem.

    :#

    Would match my beanie cap that has a propeller on it.... :o

  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,564
    In the interest of rhetorical balance :p -- there have certainly been some fine sounding drivers with bumpy cones...

    RCALC-1A%2B%2B1.jpg

  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,847
    That's just one.

    Where's the rest of them?
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,564
    OK, OK, don't rush me!

    ;)
  • westmassguywestmassguy Posts: 6,455
    Hopefully some of our trusted members can get their ears on them, for real feedback/reviews.
    Home Theater/2 Channel:
    Front: SDA-2ATL forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/143984/my-2as-finally-finished-almost/p1
    Center: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/150760/my-center-channel-project/p1
    Surrounds & Rears: Custom Built forum.polkaudio.com/discussion/151647/my-surround-project/p1
    Sonicaps, Mills, RDO-194s-198s, Dynamat, Hurricane Nuts, Blackhole5
    Pioneer Elite VSX-72TXV, Carver PM-600, SVS PB2-Plus Subwoofer
    Cables: Speaker: Furez 10/2 with GLS Locking Banana Plugs
    Interconnect: Furez 10/2 with SpeakONs
    ICs: Custom Furez by Douglas Connections
    Den:
    Bose 901 Series II Continentals Restored, Re-Built Equalizer with Elna Silmic IIs, Sonicaps, and Silver Mica Caps
    Carver CT-3 Pre, Carver C-500

    dhsspeakerservice.com/
    Exclusive Distributor of Gimpod's Custom SDA Circuit Boards

    "And keep her under 70, would you, huh? Betty likes a slow ride"
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    @BDT's post above led me to a corollary thought (?!): How dependent on the end-user's room is the performance of these new SDAs gonna be?
    Several factors remain the same. One, are the super picky audiophiles. Two, would be the dual ported 10's per side for sure will overload some rooms.

    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    edited September 10
    mhardy6647 wrote: »
    In the interest of rhetorical balance :p -- there have certainly been some fine sounding drivers with bumpy cones...
    Jstas wrote: »
    That's just one.
    Where's the rest of them?
    Many driver cone variations out there that improve breakup issues and frequency response.

    ScanSpeak with their sliced paper cone
    18m_jan16.jpg

    Fostex - HR (Hyper Radial) cone design
    review-speakers-fostex-gx250mg-everything-changes-when-you-rotate-the-knob-raqwe.com-02.jpg

    ELAC 400 Line - crystal membrane cone
    maxresdefault.jpg

    Boston Acoustics M Series - mass loaded rectangular tabs on the midrange cone
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQe7bY2wowYZyYW8vkgMS2Ste9tKrIWOLZUn5PUICFuhd96JNzj
    Making+a+Better+Midrange.jpg
    Post edited by WLDock on
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • nooshinjohnnooshinjohn Posts: 21,575
    Those ELAC drivers look cool...
    The Gear... Carver "Statement" Mono-blocks, TriangleArt Reference SE with Pass Labs Xono Phono Preamp, Walker Precision Motor Drive, ClearAudio Goldfinger Diamond v2 cartridge and Origin Conquerer Mk3c tonearm, Polk Audio "Signature" Reference Series 1.2TL with complete mods, Pass Labs X0.2 three chassis preamp, PS Audio PerfectWave DAC MkII, Pioneer Elite SC-LX701, Oppo UDP-205 4K Blu-ray player, Sony XBR70x850B 4k, Polk audio AB700/800 "in-wall" surrounds.

    Saying that it's "too hard" to pursue your dreams is no different than admitting to yourself that you are too lazy to achieve them.

    “If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it.”
  • JstasJstas Posts: 13,847
    Oh, I know about them, there's quite a few in the car audio world as well. I was just giving Doc Hardy a hard time.
    You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • WLDockWLDock Posts: 2,671
    edited September 10
    Those ELAC drivers look cool...
    I agree. Its a nice looking speaker all around.
    Vela403s__87268.1560402607.380.500.jpg?c=2

    They those just draw you in like a black hole. I would like to hear that line as well as the new $500 Debut Reference they introduces at RMAF.
    FAMILY ROOM
    HDTV - Sharp AQUOS LC-70LE600U 70" | AVR/Streamer - Onkyo TX-NR3008 | Amp - Parasound HCA-1203A
    Blu-Ray/Media/Gaming - Sony PS3-320GB / Microsoft Xbox One | Broadcast - Xfinity X1 Platform
    Front Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Center Spkrs - Coming...DIY Statement II | Rear Spkrs - Artison Portrait LRS
    Sub - DIY Stereo Integrity HT 15 | Sub Amp - Dayton Audio SA1000
    Wire - Audioquest Type 4, BJC Belden 5000 | HDMI - BJC Belden | Power Cables - Pangea | Surge - Monster
  • smglbrthsmglbrth Posts: 1,182
    I'm late to the party as well but these look nice, with SDA's thrown into the mix, it's a nice touch. When I first saw the term "Legend" I thought to myself, well, looking at the pictures I couldn't see how "Legend" fit into it. The new SDA's bring it "almost" full circle, passives would have done it to the full.

    That being said, for me, the prices are pretty dang steep. After looking at the specs for them all, not just the L800, dang, you'll need some serious, serious power to get these to play to their potential. This definitely puts Polk back into a different ballpark. These are not the "affordable" speaker for many of us, me included. However, having said that I'm super excited that Polk finally did the SDA's again, no matter the form, or price!

    I can't wait to demo the new bookshelves that will be on the way, to all who signed up, in the coming months. It kind of makes me nervous about handling an $1800/pair of speakers though!

    Hats off to Polk! I, for one, never, ever thought they'd ever do the SDA's again!
  • muncybobmuncybob Posts: 2,162
    I'm sure after hearing them I'll want them but won;t be able to pony up those bucks right away. But I still want to hear them and hint strongly for the next few years what I want for retirement.
    Yep, my name really is Bob.
    Parasound HCA1500, Dynaco PAS4, Denon DP1200 w/Shure V15 Type V and Jico SAS stylus, Oppo BDP93, Marantz UD7007, modded Polk SDA 2B.
  • mhardy6647mhardy6647 Posts: 23,564
    edited September 10
    Jstas wrote: »
    Oh, I know about them, there's quite a few in the car audio world as well. I was just giving Doc Hardy a hard time.

    Like fishin' in a barrel...

    ;)
    smglbrth wrote: »
    I'm late to the party as well but these look nice, with SDA's thrown into the mix, it's a nice touch. When I first saw the term "Legend" I thought to myself, well, looking at the pictures I couldn't see how "Legend" fit into it. The new SDA's bring it "almost" full circle, passives would have done it to the full.

    That being said, for me, the prices are pretty dang steep. After looking at the specs for them all, not just the L800, dang, you'll need some serious, serious power to get these to play to their potential. This definitely puts Polk back into a different ballpark. These are not the "affordable" speaker for many of us, me included. However, having said that I'm super excited that Polk finally did the SDA's again, no matter the form, or price!

    I can't wait to demo the new bookshelves that will be on the way, to all who signed up, in the coming months. It kind of makes me nervous about handling an $1800/pair of speakers though!

    Hats off to Polk! I, for one, never, ever thought they'd ever do the SDA's again!

    I was a tad surprised (although I likely shouldn't have been) by the very low sensitivity, especially given the low nominal impedance, of the flagship L800 loudspeakers. I had the same thought; they're likely gonna be seriously hard to drive. The cost of proper equipment might (?!) dissuade some of the market.

    Conversely, the kind of folks who might already have sufficient firepower online might view the L800s as a step backwards -- the only wild card there being the power of the SDA stereo soundfield.

    That latter thing, of course, will absolutely require a demo -- or some sort of generous return policy to buy down risk.

    I will reiterate that the price doesn't seem at all outrageous to me for statement loudspeakers in 2019. Again -- frickin' Cornwall IV is the same price!
    Post edited by mhardy6647 on
Sign In or Register to comment.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!